Menu

to grate or not to grate

Both

Fresh tastes much better for a dish that is going to use it as a non-melted topping.

I buy big Costco bags of Tillamook cheese for things like casseroles where it is going to get melted again anyways. I keep it in my freezer and just toss it in the dish frozen.

Grated cheese is also coated in stuff to keep it from sticking. I just buy the block and grate as needed.

Lara

There are additives that have nothing to do with cheese. ;) I am not saying it will kill you, but, yk?

Sargento explains here:

Ingredients listed on the shredded cheese packages include powdered cellulose, calcium carbonate and potato starch. What are those?

Powdered cellulose is a white, odorless, tasteless, totally natural powder made from cellulose, a naturally occurring component of most plants. It will not absorb moisture because of its fibrous, non-gel structure. When added to shredded cheese, cellulose prevents the cheese from sticking together. Calcium carbonate and potato starch are also natural ingredients. They pass through your body as any food does. They are not harmful.

Sargento sprinkles very small amounts of these anti-caking agents on all varieties of our shredded cheeses, which helps ensure our cheese is easier for consumers to use.

Edited by LibraryLover

do you buy your cheese already grated or do you buy blocks and brate it yourself?

I would never berate my cheese. I love cheese. :lol:

I buy 5-pound blocks and grate it as we need it grated. LOTS cheaper this way. I actually don't even grate it. I put it in the food processor with the regular blade, cut it into maybe 2x2 pieces, and let her rip! So I guess my cheese is more crumbled the grated. I like it better that way and it's fast.

I usually grate it, but will occasionally buy it grated if I am in a hurry and know I will use it quickly.

I would never berate my cheese. I love cheese. :lol:

I buy 5-pound blocks and grate it as we need it grated. LOTS cheaper this way. I actually don't even grate it. I put it in the food processor with the regular blade, cut it into maybe 2x2 pieces, and let her rip! So I guess my cheese is more crumbled the grated. I like it better that way and it's fast.

Where do you find 5 lb blocks of cheese? The biggest my grocery carries is 2 lb.

do you buy your cheese already grated or do you buy blocks and brate it yourself?

Grate at home. It's less costly, but grating also dries out cheese and changes it's taste. Grate as needed.

Grated cheese is also coated in stuff to keep it from sticking. I just buy the block and grate as needed.

Lara

:iagree: