Menu

It is time. I think I'm going Zen

Not so much religiously though. I'm on the cusp of getting rid of everything in the house that is on a shelf, in a drawer, cupboard, cluttering a table or lying on the floor.

What should I set as my cost to replace limit? As in, "If I find I need another one within the next 6-12 months I'll just replace it." $20.00? $50.00? I think $50 is too high.

What are the rules? If I don't love it or if it doesn't have a specific purpose then it goes out. Anything else?

How about putting them in Purgatory for an amount of time. If you don't need them, they go to Goodwill. If you do, then you rescue it?

:iagree:I like this idea. Maybe clean out the house entirely and put your stuff in storage for a month or two. The cost of the storage would be less than replacing things that you find out you actually may need once the Zen loses it's novelty and becomes a part of your life. Just a thought. :)

If you haven't used it in a year (or 6 months) AND/OR you don't love it.

For stuff you are not really sure of, you can box it and hide it and if you didn't miss anything in it in a certain period of time, then you can safely get rid of it.

I dont have a replacement limit and i have never needed one. However I do play the 2nd hand market (hence the clutter:001_smile:) so I always know I can replace things cheaply. I have thrown half a dozen pairs of Thai fishermans pants in the last few months. Yesterday at swap meet I saw a pair that I really loved and bought it. DH was stunned to hear me say it was now my only pair. But I love THIS pair now, and dont miss the others at all.

Go for it! I get ruthless and I really very rarely miss anything that i have got rid of.

I call it "zen-ning".

If you haven't used it in a year (or 6 months) AND/OR you don't love it.

For stuff you are not really sure of, you can box it and hide it and if you didn't miss anything in it in a certain period of time, then you can safely get rid of it.

I dont have a replacement limit and i have never needed one. However I do play the 2nd hand market (hence the clutter:001_smile:) so I always know I can replace things cheaply. I have thrown half a dozen pairs of Thai fishermans pants in the last few months. Yesterday at swap meet I saw a pair that I really loved and bought it. DH was stunned to hear me say it was now my only pair. But I love THIS pair now, and dont miss the others at all.

Go for it! I get ruthless and I really very rarely miss anything that i have got rid of.

I call it "zen-ning".

Oh, funny. I've been walking around since Friday afternood telling anyone who will listen that I'm zen-ning the house very soon.

Off the computer for a while. I'm taking every thing out of the living room and only putting back what is needed or loved.

I've got some photos. The first two are of all the junk that has nt found a place in the living room. It was all in the living room when I started. Behind furniture, in the drawers of the end tables, hanging around waiting for someone to use it.

post-3322-13535084482667_thumb.jpg

post-3322-1353508448299_thumb.jpg

The next two are different views of how it looks cleaned up/out. The dog is Baxter and the humongous cat is Prissy.

post-3322-13535084483325_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084483692_thumb.jpg

I'll take a different view of the foyer before and a different view of the second parlor before then afters of each. We will see how much that motivates me. I'm going to grab a bite and then move on to the foyer and second parlor.

post-3322-13535084482667_thumb.jpg

post-3322-1353508448299_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084483325_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084483692_thumb.jpg

My rule is if I haven't used it in 6 months (1 year for seasonal items) and I don't love it or have a specific purpose for it, it goes. I also have never had to re-buy. I always have had something else that will work or was able to borrow it from someone if it was a single use need.

Love the photos. The room looks great & peaceful. Looks like Baxter & Prissy are into the zen movement too. ;) :D

As far as getting rid of stuff, I agree w/ Mejane. If you need something, you'll find a way to make do. You may replace one or two things, but I think it's more likely that you'll just learn to live w/out it, make do w/ something else you have, or borrow it from someone else.

Of course, it's easy for me to sit here & say that when I need to do a massive amount of zen-ning at my house too. :tongue_smilie: I've been trying, though, for quite awhile now. We have gotten rid of so much stuff & I can honestly say I don't remember or miss any of it.

I actually meant to start a similar project today on DS's room... it is full of unbroken down boxes and some stuff that my brother didn't know what to do with so he left it with us. Our bedroom and the living room need it too, but not nearly as badly. It. Is. Driving. Me. Crazy. :glare:

However, I woke up this morning feeling completely blah. So I'm resting, nibbling on saltines, and hoping it goes away so I can commence with zen-ing this afternoon :)

I actually meant to start a similar project today on DS's room... it is full of unbroken down boxes and some stuff that my brother didn't know what to do with so he left it with us. Our bedroom and the living room need it too, but not nearly as badly. It. Is. Driving. Me. Crazy. :glare:

However, I woke up this morning feeling completely blah. So I'm resting, nibbling on saltines, and hoping it goes away so I can commence with zen-ing this afternoon :)

:grouphug: morning sickness is the worst! feel better soon! (saltines were my best friend when I was pg. Have you tried those wrist bands? I never did but have heard they work for some people)

I don't like mimimalize to the point of stark and cold. Your after pics are wonderful! You've accomplished just that. I see everything and it doesn't make me go crazy. It also doesn't make me think about how you can dust it all or how you're lacking your dusting duties! Excellent!

I love miminal living if I could accomplish it with a homey look. This year I have gotten rid of store-bought for some things done by family to put up instead and it really makes a difference. There's a purpose to what is on my walls. (Remember though you have to like it.)

I've gone into wonderful homes...I bought a desk from a young couple with children a month ago and their house was beautiful. But it was all store-bought decorating. I love a story when I go into a house that isn't corrupted by junk.

Keep going, you're on a roll. Then you can come to my house. :D

How about putting them in Purgatory for an amount of time. If you don't need them, they go to Goodwill. If you do, then you rescue it?

:lol::lol: My purgatory is a storage place 900 miles away. We literally have 20% of our stuff with us. I would really like the washer and dryer and maybe some more of my clothing. But I am a little afraid of when we get all the boxes that I'll not want to part with things. I'm liking the minimal approach, except for lack of bookcases. I refuse to buy anything we already own, so I did a makeshift bookcase the other day.

I may need to borrow some of y'alls strength when we get our stuff. I purged a lot of decor stuff and I tend to keep what is from generations ago, family stuff. I am determined NOT to clutter this house. It's smaller than our previous home so I know I still need to purge.

It will be like Christmas. :lol::lol:

Doesn't it make you feel wonderful? Free? I love the feeling. The only time I ever regretted getting rid of something down the road, was the time I decluttered my curriculum room. Since then I box up unused curriculum (as long as my girls haven't outgrown it) and store it. Otherwise, I've never missed anything. I LOVE decluttering.

That's when you re-buy. I'd never drag things around move after move just in case. :001_smile:

I declutter every move. I rarely re-buy. I just think, "oh, I used to have one of those." Then I find a substitute.

Supposedly this is the house our children will grow up in. I have decided that if we move again, I am selling the house contents included.

I've got some photos.

~ snip ~

I'll take a different view of the foyer before and a different view of the second parlor before then afters of each. We will see how much that motivates me. I'm going to grab a bite and then move on to the foyer and second parlor.

Wow! That's some clear! And it is quite motivating for me, as I'd hoped - so thank you very much!! I think to record the difference is good - even if it's only to remind you not to let it go back to the way it was before!

The one major thing I struggle with in our house is space. It is small, even by British standards. And that's small. Sigh. Right now, moving is not an option. I need a lot of encouragement to do this Zen/minimalism thing.

Not so much religiously though. I'm on the cusp of getting rid of everything in the house that is on a shelf, in a drawer, cupboard, cluttering a table or lying on the floor.

What should I set as my cost to replace limit? As in, "If I find I need another one within the next 6-12 months I'll just replace it." $20.00? $50.00? I think $50 is too high.

What are the rules? If I don't love it or if it doesn't have a specific purpose then it goes out. Anything else?

Actually, it sounds like you are going monastic. Your rules are pretty good. Just start there and get more brutal as you get better at it.

Please tell me I can toss most of the kid's ugly, cluttery toys as part of zen-tough-love parenting? Seriously, my house *was* zennish. Then I had kids and I can't find a clear surface in the house, even when it is all put away!!

My problem is this--we have a 2 story house and the kids want toys downstairs. So, everything is toyland down here. How do those of you who have littles and 2 story homes do it? (BTW, at 2, my youngest can't navigate up and down the stairs on her own, so she *has* to have toys downstairs.)

I think it has gotten so bad because we've been here 16 months. It is one of the longest amounts of time we have lived in one house.

Here are some more pix.

Before and after foyer

post-3322-13535084484091_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084484402_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084484787_thumb.jpg

Before in the fire room. I've uploaded my max so I have to start another post to get the afters.

post-3322-13535084485171_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084485519_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084484091_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084484402_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084484787_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084485171_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084485519_thumb.jpg

Please tell me I can toss most of the kid's ugly, cluttery toys as part of zen-tough-love parenting? Seriously, my house *was* zennish. Then I had kids and I can't find a clear surface in the house, even when it is all put away!!

My problem is this--we have a 2 story house and the kids want toys downstairs. So, everything is toyland down here. How do those of you who have littles and 2 story homes do it? (BTW, at 2, my youngest can't navigate up and down the stairs on her own, so she *has* to have toys downstairs.)

My children's toys are supposed to be in the basement. They carry them upstairs all the time. I have a rubbermaid tote on the first floor to hold toys and there is a similar tote in each of their bedrooms. When any of the totes are full, they are carried to the basement, dumped, and returned to the proper room. Wicker baskets would be prettier, but we had the totes from our last move.

The basement toy room/family room is tidied weekly. I don't spend a lot time down there, so I don't see the clutter.

I think it has gotten so bad because we've been here 16 months. It is one of the longest amounts of time we have lived in one house.

Here are some more pix.

Before and after foyer

[ATTACH]4461[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4462[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4463[/ATTACH]

Before in the fire room. I've uploaded my max so I have to start another post to get the afters.

[ATTACH]4464[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4465[/ATTACH]

Your place looks soooo cozy.

Clean room and my desk the cleanest it has been since I got it from my grandmother 5 years ago.

post-3322-13535084486222_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084485859_thumb.jpg

Off to rehydrate then on to the dining room. I'm going to get those books taken care of on the book shelves as soon as dh comes home. He has to cull his.

post-3322-13535084485859_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084486222_thumb.jpg

Edited by Parrothead

YES!! CHUCK 'EM!!!!

It's harder when they're little like that - but here's what we have done over the past year or so, starting from when DD3 was not quite 2yo:

Upstairs, we have organised the two children's bedrooms thus -

Big bedroom (shared by DD3 and one big sister):

bunk beds

one big chest of drawers for DD3 and one big sister's clothes

hanging area for shirts, dresses, skirts etc for all 4 dc

desks for independent schoolwork

doll's house

playmobil (HUGE box!)

big girls' keepsake boxes

some quilts, pillows and sleeping bags

Small bedroom (shared by DS5 and one big sister):

bunk beds

two small chests of drawers for DS5 and one big sister's clothes

small table and two chairs

bookshelves for 0-8yo books (the remaining kids fiction books for older kids are in our room)

box of lego

box of wooden train track

box of DS5's cars

box of puzzles

box of games

box of dressing up clothes

Downstairs, we have all the curriculum and school stuff, and all the non-fiction books.

We also have a small wicker basket of special books and puzzles that DD3 can play with when I am doing schoolwork with DS5. Originally, when she was 2yo and DS wasn't doing any schoolwork to speak of, the basket contained a selection of books and toys which I rotated frequently. At any given time, there could not be more baby books and toys downstairs than what could fit into that basket.

Over the year, I have gotten rid of SO MUCH stuff. The charity shops (goodwill) around here do very well out of us!

It feels good to have fixed their bedrooms - it's the rest of the house that desperately needs to be decluttered!

YES!! CHUCK 'EM!!!!

It's harder when they're little like that - but here's what we have done over the past year or so, starting from when DD3 was not quite 2yo:

Upstairs, we have organised the two children's bedrooms thus -

i have this problem too. we have the three boys in bedrooms upstairs and they spend most of their time downstairs. right now i have confiscated most of their toys because we had a "our room is too messy to clean up" event. all of their toys are in bins and stacks in our bedroom:glare: and spilling out into one of our family areas. I need to go through them and get rid of some/most of them.

My problem is, I haven't designated good homes for things. The way our house is, I don't have an answer to: where do the books go, where is the living room/school rooms...there are several living areas that bleed into each other but are not well defined. I have moved the couches so many times, ugh.

Oh and Parrothead, where is all of the stuff in the before pictures going? I imagine this huge pile of stuff on your lawn.

Thanks for the link. I'll read over the site when I sit down for quiet time this evening.

The dining room is done. I've got pix, but someone will have to say they want to see. It feels like showing off now.

Dh took 4 contractor size trash bags out. Nearly one for each room I've done so far.

He came home from work and was amazed. With the exception of moving the recliner to the fire room and the glider rocker into the living room nothing else has changed. Yet it looks so very different.

I'll be getting into the kitchen in a few minutes. There isn't much clutter in that room. It has become a holding station now since it is the last room downstairs. Hopefully I'll be done by 6:30. I'll have to go back to the first post today and see what time I started.. My back is sore. :001_smile:

The dining room is done. I've got pix, but someone will have to say they want to see. It feels like showing off now.

Me! Me! Me!!! Do post..

Dh took 4 contractor size trash bags out. Nearly one for each room I've done so far.

He came home from work and was amazed. With the exception of moving the recliner to the fire room and the glider rocker into the living room nothing else has changed. Yet it looks so very different.

I'll be getting into the kitchen in a few minutes. There isn't much clutter in that room. It has become a holding station now since it is the last room downstairs. Hopefully I'll be done by 6:30. I'll have to go back to the first post today and see what time I started.. My back is sore. :001_smile:

Well done! Sounds like you've got loads done! Be sure to celebrate.. and take care of that back! :001_smile:

You work fast!! You've got a beautiful home, I love all that woodwork.

Wait...I'm feeling inspiration coming on to tackle our front office.

Oh, feeling passed. Maybe another day.

I'm a minimalist spirit living with 3 pack rats (and 2 dogs) in an entropy house.:glare:

Me! Me! Me!!! Do post..

Well done! Sounds like you've got loads done! Be sure to celebrate.. and take care of that back! :001_smile:

Since you sound so enthusiastic.

Two of the junk that got moved into that room and the junk that was already there. Then two views of a clean cleaned dining room. I never noticed how much my dining room set blends into the color of the wood until I looked at these photos.

post-3322-13535084486564_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084486881_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084487248_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084487578_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084486564_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084486881_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084487248_thumb.jpg

post-3322-13535084487578_thumb.jpg