Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week five

I read a lot this week! I'm on a roll!

a GREAT YA book on the Civil Rights Movement called Spies of Mississippi. If your teen is learning about MLK Jr or anything like that, this is a really good choice.

Looks very interesting. Added to my wish list. :)

I'm not sure if I should read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I feel as if I already know the story ...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still struggling to get reading before Wednesday or Thursday, then it's a flat panic to get the book read by Sunday, so I begged a friend for a short book, and she gave me The Housekeeper and the Professor.

What a truly beautiful book! It's a mathematical love story, you might say. I am hoping dh will read it to dd, doing the maths along the way.

I have now read three books, so I am still one behind.

I have already made good progress with my Week 5 book, which is The Red Tent, a woman's perspective on the life and times of the Biblical patriarch Jacob.

Nikki

Last week I read, The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Unwind and The Help.

This week I am going to be reading Mockingjay, a Ted Dekker book ( got to go pick one out!) and The White Queen. Thinking about picking up The Wreath as well.

I find that if I aim really high I finish a lot more!

I didn't get around to posting last week. Since my last post I've finished:

That Distant Land: The Collected Stories by Wendell Berry. I'm giving this 4/5 stars, probably unfairly because I'm comparing it to his other book I've read, Hannah Coulter, which is one of my favorite books ever. This one moved more slowly at times when it seemed Mr. Berry had forgotten he was writing a story, not an essay. However, most of the stories were unforgettable and had me either laughing or crying, and I enjoyed getting to know the characters and history of Port William better.

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl, Written by Herself by Harriet Jacobs. This is an amazing autobiography. I saw it on the lists in WTM and WEM, otherwise I would never have known about it. I don't know why this book isn't more commonly discussed (or maybe I'm just missing something). I got it free on my Kindle and am so glad I read it. Coincidentally I was finishing this up just as the boys and I were discussing their reading of Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, which I read a few years ago. There are many similarities between the two books and if you liked Frederick Douglass's autobiography, you would like Harriet Jacobs's. I highly recommend them both.

Currently, I'm halfway through Trusting God, am almost finished The Scarlet Pimpernel, which I'm enjoying as a read aloud with my girls, and have just begun Trollope's The Warden.

Finished in 2011 so far:

1. Glamorous Powers ~Susan Howatch (4)

2. City of Man: Religion and Politics in a New Era ~Michael Gerson and Peter Wehner (5)

3. That Distant Land: The Collected Stories ~Wendell Berry (4)

4. Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl Written by Herself ~Harriet Ann Jacobs

Edited by Luann in ID

I am still struggling to get reading before Wednesday or Thursday, then it's a flat panic to get the book read by Sunday, so I begged a friend for a short book, and she gave me The Housekeeper and the Professor.

What a truly beautiful book! It's a mathematical love story, you might say. I am hoping dh will read it to dd, doing the maths along the way.

I'm glad you mentioned this one. I've been wanting to read it for a long time.

I didn't know it was short. That might come in handy. :)

I have already made good progress with my Week 5 book, which is The Red Tent, a woman's perspective on the life and times of the Biblical patriarch Jacob.

Nikki

Man, that book made me cry.

I finished Religion Explained and now I have a list of books I want to read from the "Further Reading" section. Gotta love it when that happens. I think I'll do a fiction book now though. I discovered last year that I read a lot more non-fiction, and I'm trying to balance it out more this year. It's a tough challenge for me though.

In the mean time I'll work on Montaigne's Essays as in the WEM.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

Last week I read The Red Thread by Ann Hood, a great book about chinese adoption.

This week I'm reading a non fiction- Warnings by Mike Smith. I am enjoying it so far.. if anyone else out there is fascinated by weather (maybe it's just me).

This week I finished 2 books! I'm still one book behind, but that's okay... I will catch up eventually!

I finished Crazy Love by Francis Chan early in the week. I loved how it challenged me as a Christian, really making me take a look at my faith and what kind of person I am.

I began Outlander by Diane Gabaldon on Tuesday and finished it Saturday. I LOVED IT!!! I love the romance of the story and the historical basis of it. My step-father's mother was from England, and they have Scottish relatives. They have their own family tartan and coat of arms that hang in my mother's house. Learning about his family's past has been exciting and enlightening. I love history! I wish he was nearby so I could go through his family's artifacts. I believe he has begun to trace his geneology as well.

I began reading the 2nd book of the Outlander series yesterday... so far so good! :D

This week I finished 2 books! I'm still one book behind, but that's okay... I will catch up eventually!

I finished Crazy Love by Francis Chan early in the week. I loved how it challenged me as a Christian, really making me take a look at my faith and what kind of person I am.

I began Outlander by Diane Gabaldon on Tuesday and finished it Saturday. I LOVED IT!!! I love the romance of the story and the historical basis of it. My step-father's mother was from England, and they have Scottish relatives. They have their own family tartan and coat of arms that hang in my mother's house. Learning about his family's past has been exciting and enlightening. I love history! I wish he was nearby so I could go through his family's artifacts. I believe he has begun to trace his geneology as well.

I began reading the 2nd book of the Outlander series yesterday... so far so good! :D

Oh man! The whole series was just phenomenal! I could not put these books down. Enjoy!

How was it? I have it on my list, too.

I thought it was great. At times the story made me sad, other times angry. But the author did a great job of snapping me out of it when I needed it and reminding me where we are today. The book leaves you with some questions to mull over in the form of bio-ethics.

So far this year I've read...

My favorites are starred. They are all reviewed in one form or another at my blog (link above).

2011 Book List

1. Protecting the Gift: Keeping Children and Teenagers Safe (and Parents Sane) - de Becker, Gavin

2. The Case of the Missing Books (Mobile Library Mysteries) - Sansom, Ian

3. La's Orchestra Saves the World - Smith, Alexander McCall

*4. The Imperfectionists - Rachman, Tom

5. Death of a Village (A Hamish Macbeth Mystery, No.19) - Breaton, M.C.

*6. Your Home a Place of Grace - Hunt, Susan

*7. Island of the World: A Novel - O'Brien, Michael

8. Before Green Gables - Wilson, Budge

*9. One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are - Ann Voskamp (working on a review)

Currently Reading

10. Running Scared: Fear, Worry & the God of Rest - Welch, Edward

11. An Irish County Doctor - Taylor, Patrick

I have now read three books, so I am still one behind.

Nikki

The Housekeeper and the Professor sounds really good. Just checked it out on amazon and added it to my wish list. thanks!

By the way -- you don't need to be sooo literal about reading a single book each week of the year. No one is keeping track, you aren't being graded on turning in your assignment on time!! This is merely a forum to share books with one another, with the added bonus of having an incentive and some inspiration to keep reading. So don't read in a panic Thursday through Sunday. Read for the sheer pleasure of reading and if you only make it through 10 or 20 books, still come back and report!

I rarely read one book at a time, and often on Sundays I have no complete books to report about. Some weeks I don't post, other weeks, like this week, I report that I am in the middle of 3 books! I'll be "behind" in the book count some months and "ahead" in others, but I still post, still try to get to my blog to write reviews.

I'm some 500 pages into Caribbean now. Acutely feeling the slowness of my progress!

This weekend I read a pair of short stories out of Year's Best SF 14 The first was Pump Six by Paolo Bacigalupi. It was a favorite picked by my husband and that context made the story even more enjoyable. He's often one to learn things from the bottom up in order to fix them. It fits right in to the story. The second was Orange by Neil Gaiman. A fun short story set forth as answers to an interviewer's questions. Mind you, answers only, the questions you need to surmise. Tanning lotions will never seem tame again!

I just finished "This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection" by Carol Burnett.

It was wonderful. I've loved Carol since I was little and she is such a lady. Her writing is warm and wonderful and it was a whole book about dear friendships and quirky Hollywood encounters and laughter and real life. A sweet read.

Finally, really finished The God Who Is There. Lots of food for thought.

Edited by laughing lioness

Ok, you gals are going to laugh, but after saying I was ditching The Perfect Man (I said that in last week's post), I instead went back & finished it. :tongue_smilie: After I put it down for a day or two, I just had to know how things were going to turn out for a few of the characters in the book. Overall, I liked the book, but there were parts I had a love/hate relationship with too. The author has a nice writing style & the story is really compelling, imo. Otoh, parts of it just got too Southern Gothic/over the top for me (hence me 'ditching' it for a few days). I'm glad I went back & finished it.

In the meantime, I also finished a light, entertaining enough book: Three Ways to Capsize a Boat: An Optimist Afloat.

I'm still working on The Abyssinian. Not sure what other book(s) I may start....

Books read in 2011: The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag; People Die; Three Ways to Capsize a Boat; The Perfect Man

I also finished a light, entertaining enough book: Three Ways to Capsize a Boat: An Optimist Afloat.

Looks good and have added it to my wish list. :)

Finished The Forgotten Garden. It was good, very good, but not "great". It'll go on my books that I liked list, but not the books that I loved list.

Will catch up on some magazines before starting another book.

By the way -- you don't need to be sooo literal about reading a single book each week of the year. No one is keeping track, you aren't being graded on turning in your assignment on time!! .

Right! This is supposed to be fun:D. I read more now because it's winter and I wait for my dc a lot, but later on, I'll have weeks where I don't read much. Last year I'd read enough that I didn't get behind, but that might not happen this year.

I like seeing what others have read, too. I get some intersting ideas here or see what others think of books I've already read.

Finished The Forgotten Garden. It was good, very good, but not "great". .

:iagree:

After ditching two books last week - Pride of Carthage and William & Kate: A Royal Love Story I wasn't real excited to start reading another book.

I did end up finishing Sarah Palin's Going Rogue last night - two thumbs up, IMO.

I just started Hunger Games but I'm a little apprehensive about that one.....

I finished Zeitoun yesterday, and I was really, really impressed with it. It's narrative non-fiction about a family in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina (full review in my blog). I'd had a couple of mediocre reads before this, so I was glad to read something I loved for a change. Now let's see if I can get back to Howard's End!

Reading Montaigne's Essays, and right now all I can say is he really liked to talk...or write that is. ;)

Was it common for everyone back in the day to take 5 paragraphs to say something that could be done in 1?

Well I heard when I was at uni that the responsibility for comprehension in other countries, is on the reader, where in Anglo countries at any rate, it is the author's responsibility to be readable. That was really clumsily worded, but I hope you get the drift! I think Montaigne is in the former category.

I think my brother was Montaigne in a last life. I've never known anyone else who can go on tangents like that bloke!

:D

Rosie

I knew I could catch up if only I got some vacation in. I was at my grandmother's for a week with no computer access and read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress (here's my review) and High Fidelity (no review yet, but it's coming :001_smile:)

Yay! I feel like I'm keeping up with all you voracious readers...sort of. ;)

Both of these look very interesting. The first one I'd heard about, but I enjoyed your review.

Added both to my wish list ... my never-ending wish list :D.

I read Fallen Angels, which wasn't that great (on dd's reading list) and am reading a nonfiction book.

I just started Hunger Games but I'm a little apprehensive about that one.....

Because of the story line? I kept thinking it was too disturbing and that I shouldn't read it, but kept reading it to see what happened and ended up reading the entire trilogy.

I knew I could catch up if only I got some vacation in. I was at my grandmother's for a week with no computer access and read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress (here's my review). ;)

I'm gong to get this book from the library based on your review and hope that it makes me laugh, too. I need more humour and don't laugh at the endless puns my dc and dh make. However, I put a supsension on it until May because I have other books I need to read, too.

Well I heard when I was at uni that the responsibility for comprehension in other countries, is on the reader, where in Anglo countries at any rate, it is the author's responsibility to be readable. That was really clumsily worded, but I hope you get the drift! I think Montaigne is in the former category.

I think my brother was Montaigne in a last life. I've never known anyone else who can go on tangents like that bloke!

:D

Rosie

Just this morning as I was reading, Montaigne says in his own lengthy wordy book, that a man should communicate by being straight to the point and using as few words as needed. I find that funny.

Band of Sisters looks good.

I finished #4, Home Education by Charlotte Mason. Wow! I'm so glad I read this book! Are where did people get the idea Charlotte Mason didn't teach grammar to young children? Her examples of lessons for the under 9 crowd are pretty much exactly what we're doing in R&S English :lol: (Nor are they "light" in writing. "Write 20 sentences, which use..." ) So, so, SO glad I read this book. It dispelled so many CM *myths* for me. This *is* classical education!

I'm very busy this week, mostly pre-viewing other books for our homeschool, so I'll tackle a shorter, less dense book for #5: The Children of Green Knowe, by L. M. Boston. :) I better get going!

MM

By the way -- you don't need to be sooo literal about reading a single book each week of the year. No one is keeping track, you aren't being graded on turning in your assignment on time!! This is merely a forum to share books with one another, with the added bonus of having an incentive and some inspiration to keep reading. So don't read in a panic Thursday through Sunday. Read for the sheer pleasure of reading and if you only make it through 10 or 20 books, still come back and report!

:iagree:Thanks for the reminder.

I started The Brothers Karamazov. It is going to take me a long time to read. ;)

15yo and I are reading Wuthering Heights.

Just for fun I read the first book in the 39 clues series, The Maze of Bones. It was okay. I'm beginning to think my Rick Riordan quota has been filled. My 12yo is devouring the series which makes me happy. :)

I finished "Beware, Princess Elizabeth" and started "Doomed Queen Anne." (The YA Young Royals series by Carolyn Meyer).

I'm also working my way through "Deconstructing Penguins."

My daughter and I will finish "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" today and I'm looking forward to us picking out another book to start with her tomorrow. :)

I'm a little behind, although I have several things going, I just need to finish up. We did finish The Jungle Book and it was great, but sadly started last year. We also finished read alouds of The Burgess Bird Book (glad to have finished, didn't love it) and Mouse and the Motorcycle (the children loved this).

My 2011 Reviews:

1. Her Daughter's Dream - Francine Rivers

2. Island of the World - Michael O'Brien (AMAZING!)

3. Mennonite in a Little Black Dress - Rhoda Janzen

Whew! You guys will be proud of me. I just finished working on the 52 books blog post for tomorrow. I'm sooo glad didn't wait til tomorrow morning. A lot more research than I expected. Rosie - you inspired me to tackle the subject of Essays. Anywho - that's out of the way.

Finished "Green" by Ted Dekker. Finally see the connection to showdown and how can read it before the rest of the circle books. May go back and read the other three now. Reading the Fifth Servant by Kenneth Wishnia. Historical fiction book which is turning out to be a slow read.