Menu

I HATE eating low carb

I hear you Dawn! I'm doing seriously low carb right now. I'm on some new med which the doc has some hope will finally kick my pituitary gland in the teeth, which will finally jumpstart my thyroid and adrenals. I do feel better. But, I'm supposed to be on a virtually zero carb diet in order to get the weight loss started. My body does not like to lose weight. Exercise does not help. It's all metabolic disorder so I HAVE to do this. My moods were in the toilet the first few days as I am a chocolate lover and enjoy anything made with honey as well. UGH!

I eat only green vegetables except for tomatoes and red peppers. No fruit except for one or two servings of citrus per week or a green apple (well, half at a time). Chicken, Turkey, or Whitefish/Cod/Ocean Perch in only 100 gram amounts....and my favorite thing in the whole world....pinto and black beans are off limits because of high carb count even though they are so healthy and my most beloved source of iron. ARGH!!!! Giving these up was the worst. But, maybe....just maybe....this will work.

You may whine, vent, grieve, and anything else all you want here and I will gladly support you because I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

Faith

I still dont get the low carb thing....I never have gone low carb and I have lost over 60 pounds and still losing.

Just count calories and exercise. I eat whatever the heck I want to, just within reason. I eat rice and bread and cereal and oatmeal and yes even cookies and cake and chips sometimes.

ETA- There is no point in going on a "diet" you cant stick to. I went for a lifestyle change and though I lose slowly I am more likely to keep it off. I eat real foods and I snack and I dont have to worry about "losing" foods or carbs or whatever.

Edited by kwickimom

I hear you Dawn! I'm doing seriously low carb right now. I'm on some new med which the doc has some hope will finally kick my pituitary gland in the teeth, which will finally jumpstart my thyroid and adrenals. I do feel better. But, I'm supposed to be on a virtually zero carb diet in order to get the weight loss started. My body does not like to lose weight. Exercise does not help. It's all metabolic disorder so I HAVE to do this. My moods were in the toilet the first few days as I am a chocolate lover and enjoy anything made with honey as well. UGH!

I eat only green vegetables except for tomatoes and red peppers. No fruit except for one or two servings of citrus per week or a green apple (well, half at a time). Chicken, Turkey, or Whitefish/Cod/Ocean Perch in only 100 gram amounts....and my favorite thing in the whole world....pinto and black beans are off limits because of high carb count even though they are so healthy and my most beloved source of iron. ARGH!!!! Giving these up was the worst. But, maybe....just maybe....this will work.

You may whine, vent, grieve, and anything else all you want here and I will gladly support you because I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

Faith

I don't know if you saw my Beachbody post with picture but let me tell you that I COMPLETELY understand.

Exercise can work and I don't eat low carb. OMGosh, I exercised for years with NO discernible results. I exercised HEAVY but my thyroid problems made it impossible. I did a version of low carb as well supervised by my doctor. It worked a little but I found it onerous.

It wasn't until I did Insanity that I got anywhere.

I understand what Kwickimom is saying, but she must not have a metabolic disorder. If she did, she would understand that exercise is of little assistance. I do it for cardiac, muscle, general health...it does nothing for weightloss. My doctor knows it...the good one that I finally found, anyway. Most people who don't have a metabolic disorder just don't get how hard some of us will work ourselves into the ground exercising and not lose one single pound no matter how sensibly we eat. It's nuts. I am at insanely low calorie eating now and that's with a doctor's approval. So, clearly, my body is not normal. I did this once before and did lose some....the no carbs diet. I think that if my body can get any access to fast energy it will then refuse to burn fat. It's just hard to maintain and that's the rub. But, this time, I think I've about exhausted the possibilities and I've got to give this medicine a chance to really work plus, if the diet helps, then it has to become a life-long change, no matter how drastic a change it is! That is the really hard thing. Gearing up for a life time of never satisfying a craving, always saying no to foods that other people have cooked, wishing I could eat, just a little, like everyone else on holidays, birthdays, etc. and knowing that I will pay the price in an INSTANT weight gain. UGH!

Oh well, such is life.

Faith

I still dont get the low carb thing....I never have gone low carb and I have lost over 60 pounds and still losing.

Just count calories and exercise. I eat whatever the heck I want to, just within reason. I eat rice and bread and cereal and oatmeal and yes even cookies and cake and chips sometimes.

ETA- There is no point in going on a "diet" you cant stick to. I went for a lifestyle change and though I lose slowly I am more likely to keep it off. I eat real foods and I snack and I dont have to worry about "losing" foods or carbs or whatever.

I think it depends on the individual. Some people cannot lose without minimizing carbs, whereas others can.

I understand what Kwickimom is saying, but she must not have a metabolic disorder. If she did, she would understand that exercise is of little assistance. I do it for cardiac, muscle, general health...it does nothing for weightloss. My doctor knows it...the good one that I finally found, anyway. Most people who don't have a metabolic disorder just don't get how hard some of us will work ourselves into the ground exercising and not lose one single pound no matter how sensibly we eat. It's nuts. I am at insanely low calorie eating now and that's with a doctor's approval. So, clearly, my body is not normal. I did this once before and did lose some....the no carbs diet. I think that if my body can get any access to fast energy it will then refuse to burn fat. It's just hard to maintain and that's the rub. But, this time, I think I've about exhausted the possibilities and I've got to give this medicine a chance to really work plus, if the diet helps, then it has to become a life-long change, no matter how drastic a change it is! That is the really hard thing. Gearing up for a life time of never satisfying a craving, always saying no to foods that other people have cooked, wishing I could eat, just a little, like everyone else on holidays, birthdays, etc. and knowing that I will pay the price in an INSTANT weight gain. UGH!

Oh well, such is life.

Faith

I get this, but the OP did not say that she had one. I know there are cases with medical issues that are different. I know some have to go gluten-free, dairy-free, some can't exercise.

I did a ton of research and reading and most of what I read shows that its calories in vs. calories out. period. If you are a healthy person and you burn more than you put in, you will lose weight.

Hmmmm....I have a pituitary adenoma. I have not done anything with it lately in terms of seeing a doctor, etc.....I had MRIs about 20 years ago to confirm.

Sending you a PM.

Dawn

Faith

Well, after a 1,200 calorie diet for a very long time along with 45 min. of weight training and cardio and no weight loss.....I no longer believe this is true for me. I am 4'11". I was told by some I wasn't eating enough, so I upped it to 1400 calories for 2 weeks and gained 3 to 4 pounds.

I am glad your research worked for you, but this is a battle I have been fighting for 25 years and simple math doesn't work. I went down to 1,000 calories and finally started losing a pound a week. I was cranky and tired all the time, but I lost one pound per week! There is no way I can maintain that with my life and age now.

Dawn

I get this, but the OP did not say that she had one. I know there are cases with medical issues that are different. I know some have to go gluten-free, dairy-free, some can't exercise.

I did a ton of research and reading and most of what I read shows that its calories in vs. calories out. period. If you are a healthy person and you burn more than you put in, you will lose weight.

VERY GOOD PHILOSOPHY!

That is a tremendous amount of weight loss! Did you low carb the whole time? Any tips?

Thanks,

Dawn

as someone who has lost over 140 pounds and kept it off for a few years now with a low-carb lifestyle, i'll tell you my philosophy about weight loss:

you have to learn to love what you hate.

:D

Calories in vs. calories out is a seriously flawed theory.

The fundamental biology that very few "experts" want to discuss is that while you do have control over calories in (food), you do NOT have control of calories out. Your body has many, many ways of adjusting calorie expenditure, and you only have conscious control over one of them (activity level). Sure, you can deliberately increase your activity level or decrease your calorie intake. But counting calories and exercising will not prevent your body from making compensatory changes that could completely cancel out your efforts. The result? Calories in calories out may seem to work for some people, at some points in their lives, but it will fail spectacularly for others.

That doesn't mean weight loss is impossible. But it does mean that counting calories and logging hours of exercise isn't going to work for everyone. Read Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It. This author isn't a quack. He meticulously researched the topic and includes hundreds of references to peer-reviewed research papers to support his thesis. His earlier book is much denser, but also worthwhile: Good Calories, Bad Calories.

Edited by jplain

VERY GOOD PHILOSOPHY!

That is a tremendous amount of weight loss! Did you low carb the whole time? Any tips?

Thanks,

Dawn

i try to keep my macros at 50%fat, 30%protein, 20% carbs all the time...unless it's a holiday or something. dailyburn.com is a good way to track your macros.

i ate well, and exercised like a crazy person....and still do. but i don't want to weigh 270 pounds ever again, so it's very worth it. in fact, i love it!

I have hypoglycemia and hypothyroidism. I also temd to run into adrenal fatigue easily. I have been doing Beachbody's Chalean Extreme. It does nothing for me unless I also eat low carb and all natural. Plus, I FEEL good when I eat that way. I can be really good for months and not even be tempted by stuff I shouldn't have. But if I ever get started on the carbs or junk food, it is so hard to get back off of it.

To feel good, I can have one serving of carbs per meal and a half serving for a snack, but it must always be with a protein.

Gets boring after a while! And, dh is the pasta king.

Thank you! This goes along with the "nothing tastes as good as thin feels" idea.

Before I had kids, I did get down to goal weight and stayed there for several years. Then I got pregnant and it was all down hill from there.

I WANT to get back to even what I used to consider "fat."

Dawn

i try to keep my macros at 50%fat, 30%protein, 20% carbs all the time...unless it's a holiday or something. dailyburn.com is a good way to track your macros.

i ate well, and exercised like a crazy person....and still do. but i don't want to weigh 270 pounds ever again, so it's very worth it. in fact, i love it!

Not too many, no. I need to keep it lower carb than that. Plus, unfortunately, my body can no longer handle many of these and allow me to be in the company of other humans! ;)

Dawn

Can you substitute some of your other carbs for legumes? Those special little things have both carbs and protein.

Rosie

I wish I liked them better, but I don't!

What about bacon? :D

Here's a glimmer of hope for you. I really have heard of this happening, I'm not just making it up. Over time, you may find that your taste preferences change. Eventually you may find that you genuinely prefer low carb eating. But unfortunately it'll probably take a while for that to happen.

I need to keep it lower fat too. I don't mind turkey bacon, but with the nitrates I try not to eat too much.

I also don't like pork!

You may be right though, eat it enough and my tastes will change.

Dawn

What about bacon? :D

Here's a glimmer of hope for you. I really have heard of this happening, I'm not just making it up. Over time, you may find that your taste preferences change. Eventually you may find that you genuinely prefer low carb eating. But unfortunately it'll probably take a while for that to happen.

Not too many, no. I need to keep it lower carb than that. Plus, unfortunately, my body can no longer handle many of these and allow me to be in the company of other humans! ;)

Dawn

Um. What carbs are you allowing yourself to eat then?

As for bodies not handling beans, have you tried starting small to wean yourself back onto them? They usually works. This might give you some tips to help too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carminative

Rosie

No, I can have some.....but not enough to replace lean meat is what I meant.

I can have maybe a half cup serving? I have to look at the carb count and calories of them to see the exact amount.

Dawn

Um. What carbs are you allowing yourself to eat then?

As for bodies not handling beans, have you tried starting small to wean yourself back onto them? They usually works. This might give you some tips to help too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carminative

Rosie

I need to keep it lower fat too.

Why?

If that's what your doctor said, s/he is being more than a little silly. The bottom line is that you can fuss with the percentage fat and the percentage carbs. Percent protein you won't be able to adjust too much, for various reasons. So you can be either low fat or you can be low carb. In my opinion it is hopeless to try to be both.

That book I recommended earlier would be helpful to you, I think.

This is what I always thought until I tried low carb. For me, low carb makes it so much easier to lose weight because I get full faster and don't crave sodas and sweet tea. It may be a matter of calories in vs. calories out (for me), but low carb makes it easier for me to feel full and satisfied on fewer calories.

Edited by LizzyBee

No, I can have some.....but not enough to replace lean meat is what I meant.

I can have maybe a half cup serving? I have to look at the carb count and calories of them to see the exact amount.

Dawn

I wasn't talking about beans to replace meat, I meant to replace grains. When I had gestational diabetes I was able to eat more beans than grains. A bod would starve on a quarter of a piece of toast per meal, but can live on a cup of beans. Thankfully I'm no longer having to eat like that, so I can have some of both.

Just tossing that in, in case it is a helpful idea :)

Rosie

Well, I don't mean all low fat, I do have some nut butters (particularly almond) for example, but I am trying to stay away from most saturated fats as I have some other health issues (fatty liver for one.) I use things like bacon as a topping for salad for example, instead of the main meat.

So, I do still have some, just not a lot.

Dawn

Why?

If that's what your doctor said, s/he is being more than a little silly. The bottom line is that you can fuss with the percentage fat and the percentage carbs. Percent protein you won't be able to adjust too much, for various reasons. So you can be either low fat or you can be low carb. In my opinion it is hopeless to try to be both.

That book I recommended earlier would be helpful to you, I think.

Yes, I do agree with that.

Thanks,

Dawn

I wasn't talking about beans to replace meat, I meant to replace grains. When I had gestational diabetes I was able to eat more beans than grains. A bod would starve on a quarter of a piece of toast per meal, but can live on a cup of beans. Thankfully I'm no longer having to eat like that, so I can have some of both.

Just tossing that in, in case it is a helpful idea :)

Rosie

...but I am trying to stay away from most saturated fats as I have some other health issues (fatty liver for one.)

I do not believe that saturated fats cause or worsen fatty liver, though I understand why conventional medicine continues to hold onto this incorrect belief.

However, it is likely the omega-6 fatty acids in vegetable oils and nuts are continuing to damage your liver. Fructose (which is in anything sweet) and alcohol (in excess) are the other main contributors to fatty liver.

Here's a link: Fatty Liver Revesal.

Robert Lustig's talk on fructose talks about fatty liver as well:

And finally, Taubes' book Why We Get Fat also addresses fatty liver.

Sugar is most definitely my nemesis!

Thankfully DH is on board with me getting it ALL out of the house and making healthy alternatives for them.

This week I made no sugar cookies from the Eat Clean Diet cookbook and everyone was happy, including me, since they weren't nearly as tempting as the highly sugared cookies!

Dawn

I do not believe that saturated fats cause or worsen fatty liver, though I understand why conventional medicine continues to hold onto this incorrect belief.

However, it is likely the omega-6 fatty acids in vegetable oils and nuts are continuing to damage your liver. Fructose (which is in anything sweet) and alcohol (in excess) are the other main contributors to fatty liver.

I totally agree with that. Try to get the meat raised well, it affects the Omega levels. Also, there is bacon that is nitrate free that is pretty easy to find these days as well.

This is what I always thought until I tried low carb. For me, low carb makes it so much easier to lose weight because I get full faster and don't crave sodas and sweet tea. It may be a matter of calories in vs. calories out (for me), but low carb makes it easier for me to feel full and satisfied on fewer calories.

Many people have found that eating carbs is directly related to increased hunger and/or cravings. I have never had a high carb diet, but I have noticed this when I eat carbohydrate-dense foods.

And I couldn't eat beans at all because they send my blood sugars sky high. They still do.

How on earth does that make sense? :lol:

Ah well, we can both agree that gestational diabetes is an icky thing to have :cheers2:

Dawn, if you're wanting to read further about omega-3s and -6s, I highly recommend this: http://www.amazon.com/Queen-Fats-Omega-3s-Removed-California/dp/0520253809/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296427422&sr=8-1

Rosie

I feel awful on a very low carb diet (like Atkins) but good on moderately low carb one like South Beach or Sonoma. Going too low on carbs makes me feel dizzy and I have trouble thinking clearly. I can't even do the strict first phase of SB. Fortunately, I am able to lose weight & maintain WL with moderately low carb intake.

Many people have found that eating carbs is directly related to increased hunger and/or cravings.

This is me. I have less cravings and eat less often as well as less at each meal with a lower carb lifestyle. I do eat carbs, but much less than the average American or what I ate before figuring this out.

I have a completely unproven theory that the reason people are "carb sensitive" and do better with little or none (many people nowadays just dont eat any grains at all, let alone potatoes) is because we have all been brought up with such a high unhealthy carb diet- most of us would have been eaten large amounts of sugar and white flour in our younger years- that our bodies are exhausted. Type 2 diabetes is the end result of when the body kind of exhausts itself from dealing with producing so much insulin all the time.

So I think that a lot of the positive results people are getting from eating such low carb is because their body was heading towards exhaustion- pre- diabetic whether or not it was shown on blood tests yet- and so not eating even brown rice or potatoes is important for some...but not because brown rice and potatoes are so bad for a healthy body. But because their body was not working optimally in the first place and taking all the stress of carbs off it helps it heal back into a more optimal state.

I am not sure I am explaining it very well. I just dont agree that whole grains or starchy vegetables in moderation "should" cause so many problems for people. But they do seem to- for many people. I suspect that that is not a sign that they are generally bad foods, but more a signal that their own body was dangerously close to not being able to continue producing so much insulin.

We have a tendency to demonise foods. But most foods - particularly natural foods in an unprocessed state- are not bad in and of themselves.

That doesn't account for the gluten issues people have, but that is another story, another theory :)

My own take on a low carb diet is....if you hate it, if it makes you feel bad..then even if it makes you lose weight, you will put it back on because you will not be able to sustain the diet as a lifestyle.

And I do not believe that a low carb diet is the only way for anyone to lose weight. It is one way.

I looked at the link on Fatty Liver Reversal and I have a question. I've just been diagnosed with Fatty Liver. I'm trying to lose weight and am having much the same trouble as Dawn. I've been taking Omega 3-6-9 at fairly high doses. According to your link, the Omega 6 I'm taking is bad? Should I switch to only Omega 3's?

I looked at the link on Fatty Liver Reversal and I have a question. I've just been diagnosed with Fatty Liver. I'm trying to lose weight and am having much the same trouble as Dawn. I've been taking Omega 3-6-9 at fairly high doses. According to your link, the Omega 6 I'm taking is bad? Should I switch to only Omega 3's?

Search Amazon for "The Queen of Fats." It's a great book on omega-3s, and by extension, omega-3s. It should help you make that decision. My understanding is you oughtn't be taking omega 6s because they are "bully boys." To put it simply, it seems the omega-3s and -6s compete for the same jobs. We need some -6's, but not too many because most of those jobs are done better by the -3s, they're just a bit on the puny side so increasing your -3s doesn't do much good unless you also reduce your -6 intake. You know how bullies are. In a mob, they're obnoxious, but get them alone, and they'll usually behave themselves. It's kinda like that.

Biochem for dummies style explanation is not because I think you're a dummy, but because I'm a dummy at biochem. Hopefully someone who isn't will comment, and let me know if that's the right idea. They didn't really talk much about the omega-9s in the book so I don't know anything about them. It was published in 2006 which is pretty up to date for nutritional info; most of what we know is info about 50 years old.

Rosie

I'm one of those that needs to go low-carb to lose weight. Once the weight is gone, I still need low-carb to feel good. But I will always love bread.

I'm not low-carbing it right now and I can feel it. I feel icky. But when I am, one of my favorite snacks when I'm craving something crispy and fried is bok choy dipped into a mixture of one large can fat free refried beans and one jar salsa. Not hot and crispy, but for some reason, it satisfies that craving.

You've had some great advice, so I won't chime in there except to say that jplain knows nutrition well. Her book recommendations are excellent.

Faith

Me too.. Faith...what med did the doctor give you?? I have been at battle with the metabolic disorder forever! Low Carb is the ONLY thing that helps me. I don't hate it ot love it....it is just the way it is.....and I have been able to lose weight....75 lbs.! I lost this over a 2 year period...during which I had my last 2 boys.

Last March for some weird reason,(SUPER STRESS!!!, nervous breakdown??) I went off the wagon...gained 30lbs....and went into a terrible funk.

Anyway, by September I was a mess....went to the doctor...found out my insulin levels were sky-rocketed, my thyroid level was at 10.3....No wonder!!!

I went back on the low carbs, boosted my synthroid...and started walking again. I am also on Cymbalta for Fibromyalgia...but the Low Carb helps that too.

So far, I lost 16 lbs. since September...almost back to my high school weight! 14 more to go! Maybe by summer....LOL If I stay on the wagon.

Anyway, low carb became medicine for me. My diet truly determines my health...and even though it is a pain in the beginning, you get used to it.

Faithe