Menu

When you were in school, what did your class do when the teacher left the room?

I have great memories of what my class did when our teacher left the room. This was around 5th grade. When the foundation of the building was laid, they accidentally poured concrete over one of the spaces for a floor register in my classroom. The classroom was supposed to have 4 floor registers, but ended up with 3. So my classroom was the coldest in the winter and the hottest in the warmer months. In the winter my teacher would go to the office and turn up the heat (it wasn't a large building, as schools go [and a pretty small school, too], so there was one thermostat for the whole building). After a while, the other rooms would get too hot, so someone would turn it down.

One time she went to the office for something--maybe for the heat, I don't know. When she came back, we all had our winter hats on. She found an excuse to leave the room, and when she came back, we had our mittens/gloves on. She left again (on purpose, I'm sure), and over the course of several trips back & forth to the office, we put on our coats, then boots, and then we finally sat on the floor, using our chairs as a desk. She left again, so we quickly put all our winter gear away and sat normally at our desks. She came back all decked out in her winter coat, hat & gloves and there we were completely back to normal. I don't think she ever said a word to us, but I'm sure the office was cracking up. :lol:

After my junior year in high school, I took Pre-Calc with a total of 4 students (if my memory serves) during the summer. Class was from 8-12 and the teacher taught us for the first 2 hours and another class next door the second 2 hours. So, while he was gone, we would make big signs like "HELP! WE'RE TRAPPED" to hang out the window. The window faced the interior courtyard of the school. It was summer, so no one was around. I remember we once snuck out for milk shakes from the ice cream shop across the street.

When she would leave we would all sit under our desks and refuse to come out. (I have no idea what we were thinking, but it always made her cry)

Another time we put all her books out the window...this included an entire encyclopedia set. She cried. We were mean.

In 6th grade with one particular teacher (we could smell her fear of us), we would have eraser fights with the chalkboard erasers. She would come back to find all of us working intently with a cloud of dust looming above. She would ask what happened, and we would look at her like she was crazy for thinking anything was out of the ordinary.

I don't remember doing anything particular, but dh tells me that when he was in high school one of the teachers was extremely OCD and HAD to have the papers on his desk in a precise place, parallel to the edges of the desk, the pens in just the right places, and so forth. So of course when he left the room someone would go move something just to see his reaction--which was to get upset about it and try to find the culprit, of course, not to just put the thing back and get on with his day. One time he was gone for a while and the class picked his desk up and turned it around 180 degrees so it was in exactly the same place, but facing the other direction. Then they put all his stuff in the "right" spots as if it were still facing the correct direction. So everything was still in the "right" place except that the desk underneath it all had been rotated. I gather he was not amused.

A friend of mine is a lawyer and several years ago she told me that she was working on a new case. The teacher was called into the hall to speak with a parent. While she was in the hall, feet from the classroom, one of the students through a ruler at another student. The ruler struck the student in the eye. I think it was the wooden style with the metal edge. I think the boy lost his vision in that eye if I remember correctly. Anyway, the parents were suing the teacher for not being in the classroom overseeing the children. Parents often come to the classroom door. They shouldn't during class time, but they do. I never heard what the outcome of the case was.

I remember more things that happened when we had substitute bus drivers. My mom was a bus driver herself so I knew that the drivers, even subs, were supposed to know the route ahead of time. One time we had a driver that asked us kids for directions. We got a tour of a nearby park and got him to take us to another school too. I wasn't an instigator but I didn't say anything either. When I told my mom what happened, she said that he deserved it for trusting 6th-7th graders to tell him how to get to school.

When I was a kid, every teacher handled leaving the classroom the same way. One kid was appointed to take names of those who acted up. Then, the ones who misbehaved had to write a sentence anywhere between 25 and 150 times. As the recipient of this punishment due to talking too much in class, I can attest that this system worked very well.

Today, my kids in PS tell me about what happens in their classes, and I am shocked. In my day, kids didn't act up in class like they do here. Bad behavior consisted of talking out of turn, or writing on one's desk with a pencil, or throwing a spit ball.

This might be a matter of demographics, too. In our former town, the kids' classroom behavior was much different than it is here. The schools I attended were on military bases until I was in 7th grade -- so there may have been different expectations because of that, too. Nonetheless, even when I attended regular PS, the teachers had control over their classrooms.

In first grade, I remember the principal called the teacher to his office for something, took another route to the class and had us all move into the class across the hall and sit along the wall out of sight of the door. In retaliation later on, the teacher had us all make paper balls and we placed a bunch of them in the principal's doorway so that they fell on him when he opened the door.

In 7th and 8th grades, we had a bus driver that would have paper ball fights with us on the last day of school.

In 5th grade, we didn't do anything horrible, but talked and left our chairs when the teacher left the room. We had a lookout who sat near the door and used the stainless steel fire extinguisher mounted at the end of the hall as a mirror. Mrs. M. could hear us, but never caught anyone because the lookout gave a signal as soon as she turned the corner from the main hall to the smaller hall that served a cluster of 4 classrooms.

Usually we stayed in our seats and kept working, daydreamed, or whispered a bit because some reliable "teacher's pet" (ahem, probably me) was appointed to report to the teacher.

Once in 5th grade, however, we (including me :)) all ran to the window to watch the action! A female 5th grade teacher had come running into our classroom just as we were coming in from recess to ask our male teacher to break up a fight on the playground between two of her students. Without stopping to put me "in charge," he very coolly walked toward the 2 boys. We bolted for the window.

The boys in my class thought our teacher was a wimp. Though he was over 6 feet tall he was balding and rail thin. He wore a shirt and tie every day and never raised his voice. Their opinion changed that day.

When he got to the two boys, he put a firm hand on each of their shoulders and they stopped fighting. We couldn't hear what he said, but he was obviously telling them to go with him to the office. One boy started walking, but the other kicked Mr. G in the shin! Mr. G scooped him up with one arm, and started carrying him kicking and screaming across the playground. The 2nd boy was apparently emboldened by the first boy's actions, so he punched Mr. G in the back! Mr. G scooped him up with his other arm and carried two 11-year-old boys under his arms from the far side of the playground to the office!

My class (especially the boys) whooped and hollered, "Go Mr. G!", "Wow! He's strong!", "I thought he was a wimp!", etc. When Mr. G returned, several of the particularly troublesome boys actually told him how awesome he was to his face. They never called him a wimp again. Mr. G smirked a bit for the rest of the day. I think he was a bit pleased with himself as well.

Our sixth grade school was an old army barracks. Our science teacher was considered 'mentally fragile' to put it lightly as she had been hospitalized more then once and the kids knew it. The kids would regularly sneak out of the windows at the back of the room right in the middle of class and she would never even know it. They would walk right back in the classroom door 30 minutes or more later and when she would ask where they had been, they would just give her this confused look and ask her 'don't you remember giving me permission to go to the restroom?". Of course, this went on througout the year.

Really the only misbehavior I remember directly in my classes. I do remember a crazy teacher accusing me of cheating on a test once to the whole class because she found the answers written on my desk. She should have done her own homework better though because I was absent the day the test was given. One of the few times a teacher got an earful from me.

In my school, we had the same teacher for chemistry and physics.

Once in chemisty during our junior year he left the class for some reason or another. One of my classmates lit a fire from one of the bench top gas spigots. He opened the valve and lit it directly from the spigot. It was quite impressive and fortunately didn't set anything else on fire.

This same teacher used several different colors of pens in his grade book. He used the old style Bic ballpoints that all had the same color shaft with color coded caps and end plugs. He was quite fastidious about the use of colors for grades.

Once in physics during our senior year we swapped around all the caps and end plugs when he was out of the room. When he got back and tried to use one, he got really frustrated until he figured out what had happened. The class stopped until he got all the caps and plugs straightened out.

I have to go fishing for a brother's story for this one.

My oldest brother D didn't go to K and had some difficulties getting "socialized" in first. In that school, the third time you were sent to the office, you got paddled by the principal, Mrs. T. (I remember this same lady - she didn't suffer fools gladly and always wore a particularly pungent perfume.) D was paddled 9 times in first grade. (Must've ended up in the office about 27 times, I guess!) He'd do anything from standing on his desk and waving his arms to get the teacher's attention to swatting the teacher's somewhat bare bottom when she bent over to help the student sitting ahead of him and her miniskirt crept up to show her panties.

This particular story happened when he was posted as lookout during the paperwad fight that occurred when the when the teacher left the room. Apparently that pungent scent wafted into the room and he yelled, "I smell T!!" as a warning to his classmates. Mrs. T. marched in and without a word grabbed hold of his arm and hustled him up to the office. :lol:

Poor fellow!

Mama Anna

Most of the time I remember everyone talking to their friends or goofing off. Our grade 8 year, a group of boys was determined to destroy our teacher, he pushed around a wooden cart, so one time they took the wheels off and put it inside the empty display case outside our classroom, 99% of the time they played stupid pranks like that on him, but I do remember 1 time they poured rubber cement in his coffee. The rest of us did tell him that one before he could be poisoned, but he made darn sure we were never left alone again for even a second.

Well, the teacher didn't leave the room in this case, but....in middle school there were too many of us for the school, so they built thin partitions in a large "common area" in the school and made it into four classrooms that had no windows.

There was an unpopular English teacher in one room and the "thing to do" if you were in her class was to turn off the light - which left the classroom pitch black - and SCREAM! If you were in any of the other three partitioned rooms you could totally hear what was happening in the other rooms. So pretty much daily you'd hear:

Thump! (kid hitting light switch)

SCREAM! (30 kids all yelling at once)

One day our Social Studies teacher let us scream in response....so you heard:

Thump!

SCREAM (kids in English)

SCREAM (kids in Social Studies)

I think once we even got three of the four partitioned classrooms screaming.

Those poor teachers. :)