Menu

Favorite Read Aloud(s) from this school year -- please share!

5wolfcubs

Last year it was Men of Iron by Howard Pyle, followed closely by The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.

I thought we could never top those two books...but we just finished reading The Eagle of Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff.

Apparently, there is room in our hearts for not only Miles & Gen, but Marcus, too.

I'd love to hear what your favorite read alouds were this year!

:lurk5:

we also loved Men of Iron by Pyle. Cat of Bubastes by henty. Also the Knight of the White Cross by Henty. The God King and The Hittite Warrior were great and Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne was a BIG surprise to me who did not expect to like it! Loved it!.. We are now reading Swiss Family RObinson and it is good as well...

Most of our read-alouds bombed this year. :glare: But, my older 3 dc are really enjoying their father reading Where the Red Fern Grows to them. Next up is Prince Caspien in preparation for the movie. We won't take them to see it until we've read the book!

My dd11 has recently started asking me to read to her again :001_huh: and we've shared some chapters of The Great Gilly Hopkins and My Friend Flicka at her request. These are books she can read easily on her own, but it sure is fun sharing them. That's it here...my dc were never really big on read-alouds. Hoping this is turning the tide...

I'm resisting the temptation to list everything... it's been a good year so far.

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild

Peter Duck by Arthur Ransome

His Majesty's Elephant by Judith Tarr

Beowulf by Rosemary Sutcliff

Sword and the Circle by Rosemary Sutcliff

The King of Ireland's Son by Padraic Colum

Hands down, it was the BFG, a little rude at times, but we gobbled up every word.

We listened to the audio of this last year. My kids were never so enthralled by an audio-book before. We listened during long van trips (which were frequent) and one day we returned home and the kids begged me to bring the tapes inside so they could finish listening to the rest of the story! Great book.

Guest Lorna

We loved 'The Story of the Amulet' by E. Nesbit. It was a perfect fit as a fun read aloud whilst/ after studying SOTW 1. The children go back and forward in time, but, in particular, they visit Ancient Egypt and Babylon. It is a great trigger for discussion because the books are written in the early 20th century but the characters visit the future. We were fascinated to compare the similarities and differences to now. The book is the last of a trilogy, although it easily stands up on its own.

We also loved 'The Westing Game' - a sleuthing mystery with great logic and 'The Mysterious Benedict Society' by Trenton Lee Stroud. They both had the children talking and speculating throughout the day. Both books were recommended on a thread here about a month or so ago. Here is what I cut and paste of it:

Well Trained Mind Board

Favourite Read Alouds

Mrs. Frisby & the Rats of NIMH

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

The Hobbit

The Secret Garden

Heidi

The Wind in the Willows

Peter Pan

The Chronicles of Narnia

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

Little House on the Prairie

Beowulf

Padraic Colum's The Golden Fleece

Princess and the Goblin/Princess and Curdie

Little Princess

Carry on Mr Bowditch

Secret Garden

Gone Away Lake

Henry Reed Inc

Henry and Ribsy series by Beverly Cleary

Inkheart (read aloud so I could change a bit of the language)

Misty of Chicoteague and others by M. Henry

The Westing Game

The Shakespeare Stealer

Detectives in Togas and the sequel The Mystery of the Roman Ransom

Books by G A Henty

The Mysterious Benedict Society.

Rascal by Sterling North

Danny, the Champion of the World

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

James and the Giant Peach

Mr Popper's Penguins

Because of Winn Dixie

Tale of Despereaux

Peter and the Starcatchers

The Thief Lord

The Golden Goblet

The Wheel on the School

The Cay

Summer of the Monkeys

A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck

A Year Down Yonder (the sequel) by Richard Peck

The Phantom Tollbooth

The Secret World of Og by Pierre Berton

Carol in Cal says…

Number the Stars"

"LOTR"

Generally, lots of stories of epics, myths and folktales--like "In Search of a Homeland", "Black Ships Before Troy", "The Wanderings of Odysseus", "Stories from the Silk Road", "The Sea of Gold, and other Tales from Japan".

"Half Magic"--this one is unbelievably funny. You will laugh out loud together.

"Tom Sawyer"

"Little Women" and others by LMA

"Ben and Me"--a very funny send up of Ben Franklin's life, told from the POV of a mouse who becomes his advisor.

And, lately I have been remembering how much SWB and also her 12 year old son love "The Once and Future King" so I started to read it to myself last night to see if I would like to read it to DD, who is 11 1/2. And all I can say is, WOW. I'm going to love this book, and then she and DH are going to love it, too.

Understood Betsy

The Trumpet of the Swan

Cheaper By the Dozen

The Moomin books

Where the Red Fern Grows

Winnie the Pooh (of course!)

Peter Pan

Racketty-Packetty House

sland of the Blue Dolphins (we enjoyed this so much I've read it twice)

Sign of the Beaver

Indian in the Cupboard series (there's 4-5 books--all were very good)

Swiss Family Robinson

Pilgrim's Progress

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L Konigsburg

The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr

Toliver’s Secret by Esther Wood Brady

The Seventeenth Swap by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

The Bartimaeus Trilogy would be great fun for your two, lots of humor and adventure.

Strawberry Girl

Understood Betsy

Harriet the Spy

The Egypt Room

Summer of the Monkeys & Where the Red Fern Grows, both by Wilson Rawls.

Owls in the Family - Farley Mowat

The Scarlet Pimpernel I forget the author. Last name starts with an "O"-something like Ozky?

The Phantom of the Opera I forget the author's name of this one also.

Father Brown - G. K. Chesterton

All Creatures Great and Small - James Herriot

Shadow Spinner,

The Second Mrs Gaoconda,

Shakespeare Stealer

Where the Red Fern Grows

Wind in the Willows

Door in the Wall

Book about Read Alouds

'Honey for a Child's Heart' by Gladys Hunt

Many thanks to everyone here who helped create it!

We loved the Book Thief and I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak

A Dog's Life: Autobiography of a Stray

by Ann M. Martin

Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy

by Gary D. Schmidt

Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village

by Laura Amy Schlitz

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing

by M.T. Anderson

We had alot of favourites this year. Hmmm, now to remember them.

The Secret World of Og -- Pierre Berton

Swallows and Amazons -- Arthur Ransome

On the Banks of Plum Creek -- Laura Ingalls Wilder

Prince Caspian -- C.S.Lewis

Danny and the Champion of the World -- Roald Dahl

Matilda -- Roald Dahl

The LIttle Princess -- Frances Burnett Hodgson

Caddy Woodlawn (I can't remember the author)

Great thread, I've been looking for a new read-aloud. Here are a few that we enjoyed this year that I haven't seen mentioned.

That Quail Robert

My Family and Other Animals (Good read aloud- I edited quite a bit at times)

Both were at least tolerated by the 3 yo(she liked that Quail Robert better of the two) and enjoyed by the others ranging from 5 to 16 yo

Kendall

Great thread!

This year we particularly enjoyed:

The Tale of Despereaux

Beezus and Ramona

Understood Betsy

Also (I hesitate to mention this . . .) my kids absolutely loved having their dad read them the ENTIRE Junie B Jones series at bedtime. :lol: That was great bonding time for our family, if not exactly intellectually correct!

Both books were recommended on a thread here about a month or so ago. Here is what I cut and paste of it:

Well Trained Mind Board

Favourite Read Alouds

Great list. Thanks for that!

We studied MA/Renaiss./Reform. this year, so our favorites come mostly from that time period.

Red Sails to Capri (Great!)

Adam of the Road (We're still talking about it)

Shadow Spinner

A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver

The Trumpeter of Krakow (hard to read aloud, but good)

Spy for the Night Riders (about Martin Luther)

Oh gosh - for my 3rd grader, we LOVED LOVED LOVED The Wind in the Willows, and really liked The Pied Pier of Hamelin (the original in verse).....

We just finished The Wind in the Willows a few days ago. They thought it was hilarious! And it was my first time to read it.

Pied Piper of Hamelin by Robert Browning is on our next year's lit list to go with our study of medieval times. I spent a couple hours reading it and learning about its background (historical)....looks like fun!

We just finished this one and my kids LOVED it!!!
The BFG is on of our all times faves. For anyone who can do a British accent (or even if you can't)... I'd highly recommend Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang... another of our hall-of-famers... and the Magic Pudding (I've linked a version that I know has the book's single, and gratuitous, ethnic slur removed).

That's it... our entire Hall-of-Readaloud-Fame.

Last year it was Men of Iron by Howard Pyle, followed closely by The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner.

I thought we could never top those two books...but we just finished reading The Eagle of Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff.

Apparently, there is room in our hearts for not only Miles & Gen, but Marcus, too.

I'd love to hear what your favorite read alouds were this year!

:lurk5:

For my older 2: The Hobbit, Along came a Dog, My Father's Dragon, Jack Prelutsky poems, Sign of the Beaver, Island of the Blue Dolphins and many more that I can't even remember

For my younger ds: Poppleton series, Henry and Mudge series, Richard Scarry books are at the top of the list.

There have been so many good ones this year.

Favorites:

Detectives in Togas, Roman Ransom Henry Winterfield (boys love these!)

The Treasure Seekers Edith Nesbit

A Wrinkle in Time Madeleine L'Engle

The Golden Goblet Eloise Jarvis McGraw

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe C.S. Lewis

We loved The Mysterious Benedict Society. After I read it aloud, my dd10 read it again alone. The sequel is now out. I had it on preorder and it was delivered yesterday morning. It's called The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey. My dd10 was so excited to see it that she actually screamed out loud!

We've been doing modern history this year and our read alouds have gone along with that. These are some we've really enjoyed:

At Her Majesty's Request

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase

Rifles for Watie (ds just asked to read this again over the summer)

The Call of the Wild and White Fang (ds liked these so much that we ended up reading some other Jack London short stories, too)

The Shadows of Ghadames

Nory Ryan's Song and Maggie's Door - we actually listened to these on tape and LOVED both!

Caddie Woodlawn

Rachel's Journal, Marissa Moss

The Singing Tree

Daughter of the Mountains

The House of Sixty Fathers

Esperanza Rising

My Friend, the Enemy (this was totally new to me - and surprising)

Number the Stars

Warriors, Warthogs, and Wisdom: Growing up in Africa, Lyall Watson (another new one!)

Monkey Business, Shirley Climo

I think ds liked Habibi, Naomi Shihab Nye, more than I did - more for teens, in my opinion....

He also really liked The Fire-Eaters, David Almond, more than me! He kept asking me to read both of these last two....

That's all thus far from the list of books we've finished,

Oldest ds' favorites:

The Golden Goblet

God King

A Single Shard

Eagle of the Ninth

Otto of the Silver Hand

The Shakespeare Stealer

The three little kids' favorites:

The Wizard of Oz

Mr.Popper's Penguins

Pippi Longstocking

Stuart Little

The Flying Flea, Callie and Me

Otto of the Silverhand and The Wizard of Oz would be both groups hands-down top picks.

The Secret Garden

The Little Princess

Little Lord Fauntleroy (wonderful - I had never read it)

Little Men (my "little men" loved this)

The Borrowers (we're reading our way through all of them - great fun)

The Light Princess (George MacDonald)

George's Secret Key to the Universe

Homer Price

Last Year my dc enjoyed:

Stuart Little

The Trumpet of the Swan

The Narnia Books

Charlotte's Web

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Some of the Little House Books

among others :001_smile:

Carry on, Mr. Bowditch was a favorite. They still talk about it in detail and it has been about 4 months since we read it.

The ones I read aloud to at night are 9, 7, and 4.5 (proud of that half!) - I've wanted to read this one, myself, and was wondering where it falls on the interest-o-meter.

Dy

Treasure Island turned out to be the sleeper hit, so far. I couldn't believe how well the boys followed it, or how very into it they got. It was fantastic!

The Door in the Wall, another one they enjoyed more than they thought they would. "Ok, ok, Mom. You have to tell us. Will Robin ever be able to walk? Will he be okay? What's his door? MOOOOOOM, don't smirk, just tell us!" Heh. Hooked 'em with that book.

The Door in the Wind, a follow-up story to A Wrinkle in Time. (Personally, I liked Wrinkle better. This one had a lot of made-up words that I had to wing it on the pronunciation of, and that bugged me.) However, the boys adore Charles Wallace and Meg.

Those horrible little Young Jack Sparrow books - it was pure agony to read those aloud. I read all. of. them. And I plan to write snarky letters to the publishing house if they print any more. Because I will read them. Because the boys *loved* them. Gah. They better be nice to me when they're pushing me around in a wheelchair one day.

Stories of Robin Hood Told to the Children - fun, fun, fun

Stories of Beowulf Told to the Children - high adventure! (We all agree we'd have made lousy Norsemen. Absolutely lousy.)

There've been more, but these were the big hits.

Kidnapped by RLS

Wheel on the School by Meindert DeJong

House of 60 Fathers also by DeJong

ALL the Little Britches series by Ralph Moody

And my all-time favorite for the younger crowd (I read it aloud five times, once for each of my children):

Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin by Marguerite Henry