Menu

If your pets are usually rescues, should you feel guilty about. . .

We have a long history of obtaining our dogs and cats from rescue situations (neglected strays from the streets, adopted from the pound, abandoned animals from the vet office, etc.) We usually have several pets and are currently down to four (2 cats and 2 dogs).

One of our dogs is 17 and we know he doesn't have a lot of time left. Once he is gone, DH and I are both very interested in getting 2 purebred dachshund puppies. I have 2 unresolved issues with this:

1. While I feel guilty for wanting to BUY puppies from someone who intentionally brought them into the world, I also almost feel like I deserve to get what I want, after 20 years of caring for (and loving!) the rescues. Then I wonder if I am trying to justify supporting an industry that I don't really want to support.

2. If we do go this route, how do I research to find the most responsible breeder? I do NOT want to support a puppy mill or pet store. I'd go back to rescues before I'd do that. We've already talked to our vet but she only had a vague comment about a breeder that some of her clients purchase from.

Any thoughts?

Pegasus

What about working with a dachshund rescue group? My friend is working with a rescue group and fostered a mom who was going to have puppies. When the puppies were born, she got to keep them until they were ready to be weaned and then was given the option to pick the puppies that she wanted from the litter. She doesn't want to keep any of the puppies but has really been enjoying fostering them. It may take a little longer but even purebreds get turned over to rescues. If you'd rather not foster yourself, you could still apply to adopt one of the puppies but they would charge you for it.

We have a long history of obtaining our dogs and cats from rescue situations (neglected strays from the streets, adopted from the pound, abandoned animals from the vet office, etc.) We usually have several pets and are currently down to four (2 cats and 2 dogs).

One of our dogs is 17 and we know he doesn't have a lot of time left. Once he is gone, DH and I are both very interested in getting 2 purebred dachshund puppies. I have 2 unresolved issues with this:

1. While I feel guilty for wanting to BUY puppies from someone who intentionally brought them into the world, I also almost feel like I deserve to get what I want, after 20 years of caring for (and loving!) the rescues. Then I wonder if I am trying to justify supporting an industry that I don't really want to support.

2. If we do go this route, how do I research to find the most responsible breeder? I do NOT want to support a puppy mill or pet store. I'd go back to rescues before I'd do that. We've already talked to our vet but she only had a vague comment about a breeder that some of her clients purchase from.

Any thoughts?

Pegasus

I can't help you with #2, but I think there is a huge difference between a reputable breeder and someone who just doesn't bother getting their pet fixed. I think you can feel good about supporting a reputable breeder who is responsibly contributing to the breed of dog they are passionate about.

I've always had SPCA animals - my entire life. This year we bought Bengal cats from an incredible breeder. I love them and no, I don't feel guilty.

I breed labs and so of course I am going to say dont feel guilty about buying a purebred puppy ( I will NEVER understand why people think they shouldnt buy purebreds)

We have had many rescues and MANY of them had to be rehomed because they were not good with my kids. I had one actually bite my daughter and he was supposed to be "wonderful" with kids. Rescues arent all honest, perfect, people and rescue dogs arent always wonderful pets. Purebred lab puppies have been the best dogs for us and always will be.

As for breeders you mainly need to go visit their kennels and see firsthand how the animals are cared for. Ask for references and call around. The best way to find out how good their puppies are is to talk to people that have already grown dogs from the breeder. I have sent 3 or 4 people to the breeder I got our lab from because she is awesome and peole took my word for it. :001_smile:

Thank you for the input. I had talked with a Dachshund Rescue Group a few years ago and then promptly forgot about them. I got the impression that they usually had older dogs. We've never had puppies and really want to have them once. I'll look into the rescue group a bit more.

Other than attending AKC shows, what other ways can I find a reputable breeder?

Pegasus

We are in the *exact* same situation. Our dog is now 8 and I think we'll probably end up with another dog in the next 2 years. We really want a puppy and we're leaning toward a Shih Tzu. We've never had a young puppy because we've always done rescue and the pups available were older. Our dog was 6-8 months when we got her.

I also struggle with guilt. I also feel like we 'deserve' to get what we want after 20 years of rescue. I've checked Petfinder.com and have considered breed rescue, but you'll note that almost all of the small breed puppies available are rescued puppy mill puppies. Their adoption fee is upwards of $350. This to take on an ill-bred dog that may have *thousands* of dollars in future medical problems :confused:. I'm sure there are some gems in there, but golly. The pregnant dogs that end up in breed rescue, you know that they are "oopsies", too. A responsible breeder does not allow that to happen.

My husband has said, "We've done our time." I tend to agree, but have niggling guilt :glare:. We will most likely attend the Detroit Kennel Club Dog Show in March.

I'll be :bigear: to hear how your puppy search is going.

I''ve had both. A couple of times I have ended up with large problems in my rescue attempts but I've hung in there. You have done a lot for your rescues! Why feel guilty about a breeder? People who breed dogs are doing so because there is a market out there for them. We are a nation of people who love dogs as evidenced by all the products out there for them. If no one bought from breeders I guess we would have nothing but mixed breeds, puppies found in alleys and a lot of rescues due to behavior problems, etc. What would that do to the gene pool?

I would not feel guilty about wanting a purebred dog. I would however research breeders and find one that is responsible. Look for breed clubs and contact them about people that may have puppies. You may have to wait until a litter becomes available.

I did rescue for many, many years and struggled with the fact that once my German Shepherds died of old age I really wanted a purebred puppy.

I did buy a purebred Standard Poodle from a breeder. This is the breed I wanted and I wanted to raise it from a puppy. He is the BEST dog ever.

I also have a rescued Cocker Spaniel mix and since I got him when he was older he has a lot of issues.

I have never contributed to the dog over population problem, I have fostered over 100 dogs, I personally adopted 3 rescues. I feel like I have done my part and I deserve to have the kind of dog that I want.

You shouldn't feel guilty at all. There is a HUGE difference between getting a puppy from a breeder who has done all the right things and a backyard breeder who is just doing it for the money.

I had a purebred lab, a mixed lab, and then many, many foster dogs were in and out of my house over the years. I think there is room for both, it doesn't have to be either/or.

As far as finding a breeder, I am *pretty sure* you can go on the AKC website, then to the site for the particular breed you are interested in and find a list of breeders.

Any thoughts?

Pegasus

1) We had a rescue kitten called Pegasus when I was little!

2) I would feel bad about buying a purposely bred puppy.

3) I don't condemn or even think about anyone else doing it, but it is part of my standard for myself.

4) After all the great rescue pets in my (large) extended family and the disasters I've seen from purebreds, I'm thinking I'm not going to sin my blessings by bucking the rescue trend in my life. :001_smile:

HTH

The two dogs that we acquired most recently are one purebred dachshund that we purchased from a breeder who is also active in dachshund rescue. When we went to look at the puppy we were interested in we found out that she also had some dachshund/pomeranian puppies from a rescue that had turned out to be pregnant when rescued. We ended up with two dogs, one purebred and one rescue.

I wouldn't buy from someone unless I had references from people who have bought from them and I personally visited the breeder's home.

You shouldn't feel guilty.

I agree. Don't feel guilty. You know what you want to add to your family so do it. I love other people's dachsunds.

We have had two West Highland White Terriers that we got from a Westie Rescue group. They have been absolutely WONDERFUL dogs. Both female and very sweet and loving. We fostered one briefly with the intention of adopting, but she growled at my kids and husband and off she went to a home with no kids. Our second westie was only 8 months old when we got her, so still a puppy. You might want to speak to the rescue folks about your desire for a puppy. It's true that puppies are not as plentiful with rescue, but if you can be patient it may be possible.

But if that doesn't work out, if you can work with a reputable breeder, don't feel guilty!

Good luck on the puppy search!

Mary

We just did a bunch of research on this topic and bought our beagle from a reputable breeder because we needed to know the temperament of the dog by looking at it's Pedigree. I found out a lot about how to tell the difference between a backyard breeder or puppy mill, versus a reputable breeder. A reputable breeder is in it to better the breed. They take careful consideration when breeding champion sires to champion b!tches. They have a high degree of accountability because they are in the show ring, always looking to have a better dog to compete in Conformation. They breed their dogs specifically with this in mind: who will our next Conformation Champion be? These are the folks who truly feed their dogs well, upkeep the vet appts, do all they can to love the dogs and train them properly. A backyard breeder will not have champions of conformation, they will be breeding for the fun of it, therefore breeding a brother to it's mother is no problem and you run the risk of major health problems with those dogs.

Take a look at this page, this is where we got our beagle from. Now click on the pedigree. I actually researched each of the dogs in my dog's pedigree and then researched each breeder which the sires/dams came from. They were all registered (which, by the way, is NO guarantee it's not a puppy mill as any dishonest breeder can make false claims and be registered) but it gave me assurance that each person owning each of the dogs was in business to better the breed, as seen in their desire to do better each year when competing in Conformation.

If you can't find a reputable breeder, then I don't see the point of even getting two purebred dachounds, no offense. But it would just be a huge waste of money and I have a shelter dog that is wonderful, no purebred dog I had tops him.

Really do your research on these type of dogs, and if I were you, I would just stick with rescues. Who knows, maybe you will one day find purebred dachhound puppies, and they could be the best dogs in the world! Wierder things have happened! Good Luck!:)

Thank you for the input. I had talked with a Dachshund Rescue Group a few years ago and then promptly forgot about them. I got the impression that they usually had older dogs. We've never had puppies and really want to have them once. I'll look into the rescue group a bit more.

Our first pet was a Norwegian Elkhound that we received through a rescue organization. She appeared by all accounts to be a purebred, and was a fantastic dog for our family. I think it's a great avenue to try.

I've always been pretty gung-ho about adopting pets from shelters. But our next dog will probably be from a breeder because everytime we adopt the animal is sick from some viral infection. The first time it was distemper. The second was not quite as serious, but the dog's survival was a little uncertain for a time. I just don't want to go through it again.

We personally only have rescues. It's just a choice we have made for our family. I agree with the others that pointed out there is a HUGE difference in buying from a reputable breeder and someone who just breeds their b*tch every time she comes in heat to make a buck.

Some things I've learned about responsible breeders who do it for the love of the breed:

*They will not be doing it for the money.

*They will not be advertising in local newspapers or craigslist.

*They will probably have a waiting list for puppies.

*They will have an extensive application and interview process for you. You won't be able to just go pick out a puppy. They will match you with the right puppy for your family

*They will always be willing to accept the puppy/dog back at any time if it doesn't work out for your family. In fact, they might want you to agree to that in writing. They will not want the puppy to end up in a shelter.

Hope that helps. :)

I found a reputable breeder for our golden retrievers through the Golden Retriever Club of America. Maybe there is a similar organization for your breed?

We found a breeder (a veterinarian) about 7 hours away from us. She interviewed us *extensively* -- a positive thing. Be sure that your breeder is as careful about you as you are about them. And no, I would not feel guilty about this. You'll probably rescue many more pets in your lifetime.

What about working with a dachshund rescue group? My friend is working with a rescue group and fostered a mom who was going to have puppies. When the puppies were born, she got to keep them until they were ready to be weaned and then was given the option to pick the puppies that she wanted from the litter. She doesn't want to keep any of the puppies but has really been enjoying fostering them. It may take a little longer but even purebreds get turned over to rescues. If you'd rather not foster yourself, you could still apply to adopt one of the puppies but they would charge you for it.

this is what I've thought of, too. I have pretty much ALL rescues but I'm going to need a FEMALE PUPPY so my current dachsund won't have issues. Ever since we rescued our male greyhound, little weiner dog has been marking his territory ever since. I just can't go through this until the end of his life! I really don't think he'll have any issue at all with a female puppy, so this is what we will try. I do sometimes feel bad but I shouldn't. We have 40 animals and most of them have been rescues, save the 7 chickens.

1) Don't feel guilty for wanting something very specific. No one should ever feel guilty because they prefer to buy a puppy/kitten of a specific breed. Rescues make wonderful companions, but in a lot of ways adopting a rescue is gambling - you're taking the chance that the adorable dog/kitten you just adopted will meet the expectations you have for it as far as size, temperament, and health. With the economy the way it is right now I've noticed that the dishonesty at shelters has sky-rocketed. They market their adoptables to what they think the public most wants (calm, kid friendly, etc) to try and get them a home (Because, lets face it, we all know someone that would feel more guilty about taking an animal back to the shelter because it wasn't a good fit than they would about keeping it shut up in a kennel in the backyard or dismissing the animal's behavior for years as "He's just adjusting to life with a family!"). We all have that soft spot and we want to rescue the poor, neglected, unloved baby in the shelter, but the facts are that sometimes you want (need, deserve, whatever...) to have a pet that is exactly what you want it to be - and that is what a responsible breeder can get you.

2) There are lots of on line pet directories - I usually like to start my searches there. My other favorite is to look up recent show results for shows (rather nearby or large national shows) and see which breeders had dogs that consistently place well. Before I even look at the breeders I make sure I know the breed fairly well: dietary needs, genetic weaknesses, tests that should be run on that breed before they're bred etc. Then I start looking at breeders:

* Am I willing to have a puppy shipped to me if I find a fantastic breeder out of state? If not, am I willing to drive the distance to pick up that puppy? Or would it be best to find a breeder within a few hours drive?

* How many dogs/*****es does the breeder keep? Are they strictly kenneled? In home? Both?

* Does the breeder show their breeding stock (for me this is very important), and if so how well do their dogs do at the shows? Do they have dogs from lines that consistently produce healthy, well tempered dogs with correct conformation?

* How many litters do they have a year? How often are the *****es bred? How are the puppies raised?

* When are the breeders willing to let the puppy go home to you? (If it is before 8 weeks, run - don't walk - away. With smaller breeds it isn't unusual to have to wait until 10-16 weeks.)

* Call and talk with the breeder, don't just email them. A good breeder should give you the third degree. It should be almost as hard as adopting the child because to a good breeder those puppies *are* almost like their children - they are lives that they brought into the world and hold themselves responsible for. Don't be afraid to ask the breeder tons of questions about how he/she takes care of her dogs/puppies. If they seem to get snippy at you for asking questions, run away. If they try and push a puppy on you, run a way. A good breeder isn't trying to *sell* you something, they're trying to deem if you're worthy of adopting something they have worked a long time, even decades, building. If you're close to the breeder they'll want to meet you in person (some do anyway, regardless of how far away you are). Use this chance to check out their facilities and their dogs. Are they happy, healthy, well socialized?

* Does the breeder offer a health guarantee of some form (a good breeder will). Guarentees that cover less than 2 years are useless (a lot of genetic conditions don't show up until after 2 years of age). What are their policies about returning a dog to them? What is their policy should you prove unable to care for the puppy sometime in the future? A good breeder will take their puppy/dog back. Period. Most good breeders have a "Right of First Refusal" written into their contract. In other words you cannot sell, give away, give up the puppy they sold you without offering to send it back to the breeder first. If the breeder can't take it, good breeders will assist you in finding the perfect home.

* What does their contract look like? A good breeder will require you to spay/neuter your puppy before registration papers are issued. They will outline their health guarantee and any other provisions (can't be a strictly outside dog, you might have to agree to feed it a certain quality of food etc). Are you comfortable with all the conditions of the contract? If you're not, or you feel that you can't keep them, then find a different breeder.

* A good breeder is registered with a national registry. I'm talking the AKC (American Kennel Club) or the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club). CKC (Continental Kennel Club), API and pretty much anything else are registries created to make puppy mills and back yard breeders look better.

* Does the breeder make a big deal about "rare" or "ultra tiny"? Do they charge a ton more for these things? If so - run. Breeders oftentimes price various colors different (for instance, for daschunds you're likely to pay more for an English Creme than you are a traditional black and tan etc) but you don't want someone that makes a big deal of it. Words like "rare", "tiny", etc are marketing ploys, because (lets face it) who doesn't want to own something "rare".

* How many breeds does the breeder breed? You can't raise a ton of different breeds and have a decent breeding program without the socialization/quality of care slipping. Look for someone that raises only one or two breeds.

* Try and find people that have bought a puppy from them. Were they happy with their experience? Are they happy with their pet?

* Cheaper is not always better. Nor does super expensive=quality. A good breeder, in it for the breed, generally charges only enough to cover the care for the dam and litter with a little extra to possibly pocket for those litters in which everything goes wrong and the costs are enormous. A lot of people have sticker shock when buying purebred animals - you don't want to cheap out here. If you're going to shell out only $1-200, you're just as well off going to shelter and picking up a dog there. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of $500-$1500, easily.

Best of luck in your search. Be picky. Expect to be picked at until your entire life is exposed to a relative stranger. But in the end, it is so, so worth it!

Of course it is OK for you to research and responsibly bring a new puppy in to your loving home!!!!!

We too had to make that decision. We've experienced the pros and cons of rescue dogs first hand....but, decided to buy our puppy from a wonderful breeder. We did our research. We are so happy with the choice that we made.

Make an educated and informed choice either way and you cannot go wrong!

I volunteered in dog rescue for several years, and I am so glad that rescue organizations exist to give abandoned pets a second chance. Our first dog was a rescue, and we adored him for all of his too-short years. But he had continual health problems, which eventually killed him, despite our very expensive attempts to keep him going. Our current dog was purchased from a breeder.

I would not feel guilty in the slightest about buying a well-bred dog. The difference in health between our current dog and our old dog would alone convince me to buy another well-bred dog. For us, our lives changed a lot between adopting our first dog and buying our second--we had two children, for one thing, so our free time to offer therapeutic training and extra dog activities went down, as did our disposable income for vet procedures. We needed a dog that came from lines with great temperament, and we didn't have a lot of time to devote to attaining a great temperament. (Our dog's sire retired from the show ring and now works as a therapy dog for an autistic boy.)

I can recommend the following blog to anyone interested in either dog rescue or finding a first-rate breeder (she breeds Cardigan Corgis, like our dog, but she isn't our breeder.) Her blog is http://blacksheepcardigans.com/ruff/ . In general, good dog breeders show their dogs--the purpose of dog shows is, in fact, to evaluate breeding stock. An internet search should turn up the Dachshund club in your state or area, and a phone call to their organization can either get you a list of breeder members, or the time and location of the next show, where you can meet breeders in person. Ironically, some of the best breeders are very bad at meeting the public, so be persistent and don't be nervous just because someone isn't friendly at first. Often, once you meet one good breeder, he or she knows other good breeders, so if they're not planning a litter, they can recommend someone else who is.

Good luck with the hunt! We just adore our newest addition, and I must say that short-legged dogs really are the cutest, so I completely understand your desire for a dachshund!

I'd look for dachshund clubs in your area, then start emailing or calling the listed members; often they'll have a list of active club members who breed. You may be able to find a link from the AKC website, or a google search. It may take a few months to find a litter with room on its waiting list, but (at least in my experience) these people know each other pretty well from all the shows they attend together, and someone should be able to tell you who's "expecting" in the next few months. People in the local club will be breeding for health, temperament, and other good things, so their "pet quality" puppies will be just as good as their show dogs from an average owner's perspective; you should expect to sign a contract saying you'll be spay/neutering a pet quality dog, though. As others mentioned, a reputable breeder is doing good for the breed, and that's not something you should feel guilty about supporting at all.

I just went onto petfinder.com and am SHOCKED at how many puppies they have available for adoption! Another thing to consider!

I did the same just putting in zip code 55555 and got a huge list! Many are adult daschunds, and some are mixes, but it's a great place to look.

Check out Snookie - I know she's a mix, but ... :D

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/18411373

Click on the middle pic. : )

Some breeders are also involved in breed rescue because they love the dogs.

:iagree:

I work with rescues. All my pets are rescues, mainly because I am a veterinary technician and they walk into my lives before I have a chance to do anything else :)

Seriously though, I think that given your situation the best thing you can do is to buy a puppy from a breeder that is active in breed rescue. That way, by supporting her you are also supporting rescue work. And, if it is a breeder that is involved in rescue, and always takes their dogs back if there is a problem and is recommended by rescue groups you know you are getting a good breeder.

Don't feel guilty. And I WOULD tell you to feel guilty if you were just buying one at a pet store :)