Menu

If you have great skin,

I think it is genetics, diet, and skin care regimen. The women in my family are blessed with good skin. Smooth with small pores. I think it stays that way because we all take care of skin by eating healthy and drinking plenty of water. I was taught at an early age to take care of my skin and I have been passing that on to my dd.

I've always been a huge water drinker, even when my diet was horrible I've always drunk a lot water. I think that helps a lot.

However I've never worn much makeup ever. My skin care products has pretty much always been just wash my face in the shower with Ivory soap. Moisturize when needed, but not over moisturize. And sunscreen. I've always used sunscreen, but that's an all over thing. I actually need to wear it on my face more often than I do.

Genetics and the fact that we limit our sun exposure.

I do not use 'products' on my face... just water and a soft wash cloth (but usually just my hands).

I do drink lots of water (I do not like sodas) and my vice is tea (the drink!).

My step sister is 9 days older than me. She easily looks 10 years older even though she is thinner... she was a life guard in high school and college--- her face has a 'weathered' look... I, on the other hand, waited tables and always got stuck with a 'day' shift... so while I never experienced a deep dark tan-- I have soft smooth skin and very very few wrinkles (a few fine lines are beginning to appear.) We will be 46 in May.

All three. I also have fair irish skin. That led me to the world of sunblock at a young age. I never sat out as a teen because I do not tan. I just fry and that isn't any fun. I have been using sunblock in the summer from a young age and in my 20s started using daily moisturizer with sunblock.

I also eat a large amount of veggies every day. I am swimming in anti-oxidents. Both my lunch and dinner are composed of a steamed vegetable (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collardsm chard) and a protein (mosty beans but some fish). Between meals I eat fruit or more veggies.

I also see a dermatologist when necessary. I have rosacea (that irish skin!) and use script medication to keep it under control. Now, I only need it for a day or two every couple months. The derm gives credit to my produce based diet. He wished he could have me talk to all his patients, lol. Because I have the rosacea under control he allowed my to try a round of retinin-A. This is usually a very big no-no for rosacea people, but my skin tolerates it easily. I use it every other night.

I wash my face every night, I exfoliate with baking soda almost every night, I use an eye cream (target-level products) day and night, I use a daytime moisturizer with sunblock every day (neutogena etc).

My sister, OTOH, has sat in the sun, has only recently come over to sunblock etc. She is 6 years younger and most people assume she is my older sister.

So, it is part genetics but I work it.

All three, but I do have to actually work at it.

My diet doesn't seem to matter as much - but what I use on my face does.

In the shower I use St. Ives Blemish & Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub and Beyond Belief A*B*H Pore Refining Foaming Cleanser, followed by Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer

At night I use St.Ives Olive Cleanser and Purpose Moisturizer

Onve a month I use Olay Microdermabrasion and Peel

It has taken me forever to find a routine that keeps my pimples under control but doesn't dry out my skin!

I agree with all of the above and will just chuck in climate also. I live where it is hot and humid almost year round with a few cold weeks in winter. Most of the time I have large pores (thanks grandma), but I think the heat and humidity contributes to it as well because I notice a huge improvement in my skin when it gets colder and drier in the winter with no other change in my skin care routine. My mom has also left Florida and retired to Georgia something like 9 years ago. She has the same kind of skin that I do and when she comes down to visit, I can see that her pores look smaller than they used to. On the flip side, everyone in my family looks ridiculously young for their age and I always contribute that to the climate as well as genes of course. There seems to be something about the humidity here that keeps your skin supple and helps keep the wrinkles away. :)

Genetics...I'm Italian and the olive skin simply doesn't wrinkle or age as easily as more fair skin types.

Also....Dermalogica skin products!! Can. not. say. enough. about how good this stuff is. It's expensive (I get mine on Amazon and pay half of their regular price), but it is worth every penny. I'll use it forever!

I've been told I have great skin, and it must be genetics because my diet isn't usually all that great and I hardly do anything to it skin-care wise (I wash it every few days and use a moisturizer after I wash). I've never been one to get much sun (I don't use a sunscreen, but am not out in the sun a lot), and have never smoked regularly. As I get older though, I think it's looking more splotchy and I'm getting some age spots.

It's got to be genetics. I got pretty good skin (face). I have never had any troubles with acne or drying out or anything. I have always slept with my makeup on...always. When I was younger I washed my face with only water because I am sensitive to soap. As an adult I have always used a baby wipe to clean off my makeup. I never use moisturizer. I do not use sunscreen, but I also never lay out in the sun. I didn't even do it when I was a kid. So far my two teens have had minor problems with acne though.:glare: I guess that could be from my husbands side.

I don't think I have great skin, but I hear over and over that I look much younger than I actually am. My skin is on the oily side, which I think helps keep it looking young. My mom gets the same comments, but her skin isn't oily. I think genetics is the main plus.

Water and sometimes soap and water are the only thing we use. Mom sometimes uses Oil of Olay.

We don't smoke or drink or spend a lot of time in the sun.

Even though I'm mostly Brazilian, I have Irish skin, too, from my Nana. It's all three. I've always taken care of my skin, but its soft from the Irish and oily from the Brazilian (and olive complexioned-go figure).

I don't smoke, always have eaten well, and have always taken care of it. I've been moisturizing forever.

I think it's mostly genetics. My mom is in her 70's and looks probably 15 years younger. She's got gorgeous skin. I've inherited her skin, too. We do nothing really special to it. Although we've always had a pretty good diet and stayed away from certain vices that seem to promote wrinkles and all that.

I have good skin. The dermatologist told me last year that my skin was more like someone much younger than me- and he agreed it was probably because I just don't go out in the sun much. That's not so true this summer- I am now consciously getting more sun, but I never sun bathe or try to get a tan. I just make sure I get plenty of sun on my skin in the earlier mornings and evenings.

I have also used moisturiser daily since I was around 18.

I only had very mild ocasional acne as a teenager and very rarely a pimple since.

I eat well, drink well.

Have no idea- could also be completely genetic.

I have never had great skin until I started using Aloette products last year. I don't have too many wrinkles yet and I do look younger than I am, but I've had issues with redness, large pores, and occasional but large acne that has left some scarring on my chin. I also had some sun damage due to growing up on a farm in the days when people were using baby oil instead of sunscreen.

The base ingredient in all of the Aloette products is medical grade aloe. Since I've always had a lot of redness, esp on and around my nose, I think the anti-inflammatory properties of the aloe is probably a big help. I've gotten a lot of compliments - things like, "Your skin is just glowing."

I would, IMHO, say (and as it applies to me):

Diet - 80%

Genetics - 5%

Skin Care Regimen - 5%

Lifestyle and Climate - 10%

DIET

Diet mostly. Once I really, really limited milk, my skin cleared up like you wouldn't believe. For me, my skin really shows when I eat healthy as opposed to when I eat junk.

GENETICS

Can help. Not always. My skin is not like my mom's. I don't know who I get my skin from. :lol: Maybe from my dad's side.

SKIN CARE REGIMEN

I love Paula's Choice and regular facials (if your budget allows). But they're not THE most important factors by any means, not in my experience.

CLIMATE AND LIFESTYLE

Limit sun ... I regret all my tano-rexic teenage years

No smoking

Humid climate here in the tropics is great

It's mostly genetics for me, though my mother grew up in Florida and was a sun-worshipper as a teenager and she regretted it in her 30s so she always promoted the importance of sunscreen. I've worn sunscreen mixed in with my moisturizer on my face every single day since I was 12 or 13 and I do think that has helped a lot.