Menu

Which products have been worth their cost, time and time again?

Spell to Write and Read--there is so much you can do with it for language arts as well as spelling. There is copywork, grammar exercises, and spelling.

Story of the World Activity Guides--I think that this will be a long-term resource for things to do with history. Right now we mainly use the maps and coloring pages but in the middle grade levels we will be reading different books but doing more of the projects.

Teaching Mathematics in Rudolf Steiner Schools by Ron Jarmon--This is a great resource for creative teaching ideas and games for math in grades K to 8.

:001_smile:

We've used Spell to Write and Read and that's a complete curriculum for spelling that can be used K-12. The other great feature about it is that you can use it as a full language arts program if you wish (i.e. for handwriting, dictation, grammar, etc...).

Another curriculum that we've used has been God's Design Series which is a science curriculum that can be used as a spine K-8. It also follows the 4 year topic sequence suggested in the Well-Trained Mind.

Yes, I agree. Audio books are a great investment. I actually ask my 8 year old how to pronounce some of the history names in SOTW because he's listened to the text more than once.

My boys learn a lot of history and Bible from Nest Entertainment audio/video and Your Story Hour as well.

Other audio book favorites have been the unabridged Winnie the Pooh stories, the Beatrix Potter stories, G. A. Henty, and Jonathan Park (young earth creationism perspective -- my son learns lots of history as well as science).

Leap Frog phonics DVDs -- okay, these are not multi age, but can be used over and over for each child. They are a great value for how much they teach. I recommend them to everyone.

Usborne and Kingfisher encyclopedias are great for so many ages. I actually have the complete Usborne history but also the thinner paperback individual titles, like Ancient World, Medieval World, because they are more easily carried around the house.

A light box and Dover coloring books and the "design your own coat of arms book" has been a hit from my oldest to youngest.

SWR. I have used for 3 years now with another few years to go. I had to supplement it for my oldest but still it has been a wonderful investment.

Winston was a good investment. We used to last year and will use it again and again. It is a wonderful review.

Streams of Civilization. This resource has been used over and over for several years. Granted it is high school, but we have referred to it since 1st grade.

Cursive First. Very inexpensive but effective program. It taught 2 dc to write and I still need to refer to it for my youngest occassionally.

Let's see--from our advanced status heading into highschool...:-)

--SOTW on audio (we do a lot of "car-schooling")

--classics on audio (my son still enjoys The Five Little Peppers, we've also got Jo's Boys (for me), and we'll be listening to some WWII audio as well as The Great Gatsby and the Nick Adams Stories (good intros for the boys to Fitzgerald and Hemingway, I think...)

--IEW

--Teaching the Classics

--a quality microscope and telescope

All 4 volumes of Story of the World-used over grades 1-8 for both children.

First Language Lessons-used 2 years each with both children.

History of US 10 volume set.Will be used over a 3-4 year span with each child,once in elementary school and once in jr. high/high school.

2 books, Science Smart and Nature Smart.We've gotten a lot of use out of these since I bought them.

The computer.

What are other products do you know of or have used that their usefulness far outweighs their cost? The product has to be able to be used with multiple age/grade levels...

Writing Road to Reading book, about $25 at the time, has given us 5 years of spelling and reading instruction so far, and will continue for another 4 or so years. Plus it helped me earn hundreds of dollars in tutoring. :)

Knowledge Quest map CDs - $50 for four years' worth of history maps has give us three years (so far) of mapwork, and will continue for another possibly 7 years.

This is for two kids.

Over the 15+ years I've been homeschooling, I've purchased most of Sonlight K-7th. We live overseas and most of those books have been read and reread by all the children; sometimes my college daughter picks one up on vacation to reread and enjoy pleasant memories.

We love the Knowledge Quest historical maps. I purchased the complete download for a great price, and will have maps to go along with our history for as long as we conceivably need them.

Also, we are enjoying the Historical Timeline Figures from Geography Matters. The CD is $20 or $25, and includes simple figures that are quite suitable for grammar stage. We plan to upgrade to a more extensive/elaborate set, probably when we hit logic stage. (I know myself, and I know that there are too many cool timeline figures out there for me not to get restless with using only one set all the way through!!! This way when we get tired of the inexpensive ones we have, we can get an even better/more elaborate one, and at an age when the kids will fully appreciate them.)

We definitely love our Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History.

I'm also enjoying our Discovery streaming subscription this year. We will probably be renewing if the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op renewal price is anywhere close to within our means. We are using DS to supplement science and math as well as some Spanish.

Oh, and we LOVE our subscription to Gametap, which we've had for 2 years. For $60 or so a year, you can get unlimited access to all kinds of educational (and entertaining) computer games (Jumpstart, Reader Rabbit, Freddie Fish, Lego, etc). One of my twins taught herself to play chess with their Lego chess tutor. Plus they have Civilization - My 7 year old daughters have learned SO MUCH about the progress of history, the development of technology, the reasons for wars, diplomacy, government, and so on by watching dh play this game. It has been an excellent complement to SOTW for them. They beg him to play on a daily basis, in fact. And dh and I enjoy all the non-kiddie games Gametap has, as well, though I never seem to have a lot of time for computer games these days.

And I use on a weekly, if not daily, basis our three hole punch, paper trimmer, stapler, and dry erase boards (plural - one on the wall, and one hand held!). I use our fax/scanner/copier/printer thingy all the time, too!

If I had to pick only ONE resource to get our learning done though, it would be, hands down, the Internet. Even if you limited yourself to using the stuff that is available for free online, you'd have enough for a lifetime of learning. Even more if you mix it with your free local library.

Home Learning Year by Year- I bought this about 6 years ago and I still reference it to this day! Mostly just for supplemental booklists, but it's a great resource. Also the Sonlight catalog(free :)) for book ideas!

Pam K in NC

1. Homeschool in the Woods Timeline figures on CD

2. History Scribe, they've ALL been packaged now, you get grammar-high school.

3. Simply Spelling by Laurie Hicks, ABC's and All Their Tricks

4. Teaching the Classics

5. Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia

6. Usborne & Kingfisher History Encyclopedia

7. Themes to Remember by Classical Magic (all the books)

8. The Story of Painting by Sister Wendy Beckett

9. Science Scope by K. Stout

10. The Harp and Laurel Wreath by L. Berquist

11. Dover Coloring Books

12. Writing Aids by Tapestry of Grace

13. The 100 Top Homeschooling Picks for Curriculum by Cathy Duffy

14. Home Learning Year by Year by Rebecca Rupp

Of course I think Tapestry of Grace, and MapAids (all levels for each year) are worth their weight in gold.

I hope Analytical Grammar will be...

1. Spelling Power and Writing Power- large initial investment but have used every year for all 3 kids.

2. Saxon Math-also use each book for all 3 kids

3. SOTW and activity guides

4. Well Trained Mind book

5. Rosetta Stone Spanish- use it for all 3 kids and love the results

6. History Scribe

The product has to be able to be used with multiple age/grade levels...

I've been using SWR phonogram cards for 8 years with 4 kids. Timeless approach to teaching letters sounds/reading/spelling.

I used them w/ my son when he was 4 (he's almost 13), before he attended private school (which also used Sanseri's method).

For us it has been Natural Speller. For $20 it can be used until 8th grade. We prefer to not have pre-assigned activities or lists, so this has been great for us.

I'll second this! Natural Speller is excellent.

I think the only thing I've used with all my kids (so far) is K12's Phonics. It's the best investment I've made, hands down. I figure once they're great readers, even if I screw up everything else, they'll still be able to function as adults. :)

The second best investment is probably my Amazon prime membership, which I've had since they started the program in 2005. :blush: With the amount I spend on books, it rapidly pays for itself.

13. The 100 Top Homeschooling Picks for Curriculum by Cathy Duffy

I have loaned this book out to everyone who ever asked: "How do I start homeschooling?" (Ok-I refuse to loan out my WTM and Charlotte Mason Companion-can't afford to loose those) After about 6 families used this book to begin their journey I lost track of who had it and then moved. Hopefully it is still "out there" helping more families! I may not be using it over and over but my one copy has helped several families and that must be a good value.

And perhaps its a bit silly but...our Prismacolor Pencils. Fun time, art time, mapping, history...the uses go on and on.

I have to agree with the Leapfrog DVDs-my now 6 yr old got alot out of them and my now 3 yr old knows all his letter sounds and loves them.

I nice quality globe is totally worth it-we use ours quite often.

Abacas-not a big money issue but it's been used for 2 yrs and will be used for many more.

A good quality magnifying glass! I bought lots of cheap ones only to have them get scratched or have a terrible distorted view. I finally bought a good one and it's great!

The Well Trained Mind bk-I refer to it often.

field guides-my son uses them all the time and we've learned more from them than any science program!

Some of my favorites:

SOTW audiobooks--the books, too. We just cycle around and use them again and again.

First Language Lessons

Videotext Algebra--it is pricey, but I now have a third child going through this set--I also bought these when they ONLY sold videos, but I'm not selling!

We have a nice library of Usborne books--science, history, etc. which we have literally worn out and bought new ones to replace.

Our fiction library grows each year. I wouldn't part with them for anything. Some of these books have also been replaced because they were simply worn out.

Rod and Staff Grammar. While we don't use these each year, they are a solid, steady set we've used a lot.

Audiobooks are wonderful.