Menu

Fun thread: Restaurants you would like to recommend

jld

I would like to recommend the Ethiopian Diamond on Sheridan in Chicago (north of the loop). We eat there every time we go back to America, and it is delicious. We especially like the barbequed chickpea loaf (shimbra assa, I think). What a treat!

Pok Pok in Portland, OR... authentic Southeast Asian food (mostly Thai). I'm excited because a new location is scheduled to open soon about three blocks from my house. It will have the original shack menu plus a few faves from the main restaurant.

:party:

Pizzeria Libretto on Ossington and Dundas in downtown TO.

The pizza is to die for -- authentic Italian oven and all the best toppings. They have gorgeous salads and antipasti, too. The regular daily specials are concoctions that you would never think would go on a pizza, but are divine nonetheless. The pizza Margherita is the best ever, but my hands-down fave is the house sausage with carmelized onion, buffalo mozzarella and chili oil.

Edited by Audrey

Old Town restaurant in downtown Charleston, SC. Great Greek food. There is also a great Greek restaurant in Regina, SK, Canada. For the life of me I can't remember the name.

Is it Kefi? If so, I agree. They are scrumptious!

This is a bit off the beaten path, but Ocoee Dam Deli in Ocoee, TN is fantastic. The owner built the tables and benches himself and they are beautiful. You may find yourself there someday since it is a touristy area.

Big River Grill. They are in Chattanooga, TN and I believe there is one or two in FL.

I would like to recommend the Ethiopian Diamond on Sheridan in Chicago (north of the loop). We eat there every time we go back to America, and it is delicious. We especially like the barbequed chickpea loaf (shimbra assa, I think). What a treat!

We love Ethiopian food! There used to be a place called Dalek in West Philadelphia that was amazing.

bucca deppo's Franklin, TN

cozy Mel's Mexican Franklin,TN

Stoney River Franklin, tn

Charlies Crab Palm Beach, FL

El Charro's Tucson, AZ

Mimi's Cafe Tucson, AZ

Jack's BBQ Nashville, TN

Jason's Deli Many city's USA

Polly's Pancake House, New Hampshire

Rosies Cantina Huntsville, AL

The Whole Enchilada - Placentia, CA

Not necessarily authentic, but our family's favorite restaurant since I was 3 years old. There are still a few waiters there from when we started going. We stop in every time we visit California. We went to the Diamond Bar one, but it wasn't the same.

L'As du Falafel, Rue des Rosiers, Paris, France. Don't know if it's still there, but it had the best falafel sandwich I've ever eaten.

Oui, oui, oui, oui, oui! Actually, I don't know if that's one of the ones we were buying from, but we were definitely in the part of the Marais where falafel places were all over! And would you believe we didn't start going there until a month before we moved?! I surely had read about them in Rick Steves' guidebook, but never acted on his rec. Probably because we were always going to that Moroccan place at the Louvre or over to Gojo (Ethiopian) near the Parthenon.

We're planning a trip in August, and I'm going to try to work this in. Gosh, I can taste it already, lol!

If you are ever in the Washington, D.C. area with more money than you know what to do with:D, take the time to drive out to L'Auberge Chez Francois in Great Falls. This restaurant gets rave reviews from all the restaurant critics here. Dh took me there for dinner on our wedding day - I had no idea food could taste that wonderful. I've never been back, but maybe on our 25th anniversary or something we'll go again.

Oh, just wanted to mention that they are usually booked up weeks in advance, but the outside terrace is first come/first serve. Here's a link to the reservation information:

http://www.laubergechezfrancois.com/page/resinfo.html

The Whole Enchilada - Placentia, CA

Not necessarily authentic, but our family's favorite restaurant since I was 3 years old. There are still a few waiters there from when we started going. We stop in every time we visit California. We went to the Diamond Bar one, but it wasn't the same.

I don't know where Placentia is, but there used to be (maybe still is) a place called Mi Casa in Costa Mesa that my aunt used to take us to. Anybody know it? We used to love that place.

To be honest, I don't know that it was any better than any other place, but we only had Chi Chi's to compare it to back in the Midwest, lol.

If you are ever in the Washington, D.C. area with more money than you know what to do with:D, take the time to drive out to L'Auberge Chez Francois in Great Falls. This restaurant gets rave reviews from all the restaurant critics here. Dh took me there for dinner on our wedding day - I had no idea food could taste that wonderful. I've never been back, but maybe on our 25th anniversary or something we'll go again.

Oh, just wanted to mention that they are usually booked up weeks in advance, but the outside terrace is first come/first serve. Here's a link to the reservation information:

http://www.laubergechezfrancois.com/page/resinfo.html

It's always dangerous to go places where they don't list the prices . . .:D

Angus Barn in Raleigh, NC - best steaks ever, and the creme brulee is soooo good

Michael's in Timonium, MD - the crabcakes are to die for

Maria's in Parkville, MD - best hole in the wall, the pizza sauce is imported from Greece, subs and french fries are sooo good, and the place is cheap

Towson Deli in Towson, MD - best sandwiches with generous portions of meat (not like NC where you can only taste the bread on the deli sandwiches!)

Sam's by the Sea in Okinawa - you have to have the curry soup! and the service is the best ever

Jamaica Kitchen in Miami, FL. It has both Jamaican and Chinese food. Strange, but wonderful.

Also, Little Italy in my tiny corner of Citrus County, FL. A genuine Italian deli by day, and fabulous gourmet restaurant by night (at least Friday and Saturday nights).

Great New York Noodletown in Chinatown, NYC. It's a hole in the wall with THE best Chinese and really cheap for NYC. Also, my dh (the pizza connoisseur) thinks Grimaldi's pizza is the best in the city. It's located under the Brooklyn Bridge which is also cool. :)

Edited by Mejane

Carol Peck's Good News Cafe in Woodbury, CT

Nava in Atlanta

Muss & Turner's in Atlanta

Seasons 52 (I've been in Atlanta and in Orlando....it's fantastic)

Old Ebbits Grill in DC

Founding Farmers in DC

I can recommend hundreds of restaurants because I eat out all over the country, all the time. FWIW, I almost always find new places using Yelp, and I've never been steered wrong. In fact, that's how I found Good News Cafe and it's probably my all-time favorite restaurant now, and the two in DC. I guess my recommendation is really for Yelp, then! :D

If you're ever in RI:

Newport: Brick Alley Pub, fun, funky vintage decor, affordable, friendly waitstaff (make sure you dine downstairs if the kiddies are with you)

Providence: Andreas Restaurant, Greek, chef-owner operated, affordable, elegant yet casual dining, scratches our "itch" for Greek food w/o having to go to Greek Fest.

Tokyo Lobby in Glendale, AZ

Cherryblossom Noodle Cafe in Phoenix, AZ

Grimaldi's Pizza (not the chain, the other one) in Glendale, AZ

My Big Fat Greek Restaurant (several locations, mostly in the Phoenix area)

Arriba Mexican Grill (several locations in the Phoenix area)

Now I'm hungry. :001_smile:

I'm trying to talk dh into taking us to Tokyo Lobby for Christmas Eve dinner. He doesn't think Japanese food is Christmasy. But I disagree! Mmmm. Calamari tempura for an appetizer, tempura and udon for dinner, green tea to drink, and red bean mochi ice cream for dessert. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Wendi

Jamaica Kitchen in Miami, FL. It has both Jamaican and Chinese food. Strange, but wonderful.

Also, Little Italy in my tiny corner of Citrus County, FL. A genuine Italian deli by day, and fabulous gourmet restaurant by night (at least Friday and Saturday nights).

That reminds me of another place I should have mentioned: Chino Bandido in Phoenix. It's a dive that serves Chinese Mexican food. I love it, but dh not so much. :glare: You can order all kinds of weird combinations, like a Jade Red Chicken Quesadilla or a Chinese BBQ Pork Burrito.

Wendi

My favorite restaurants of any kind, anywhere? Hm. Tough one.

Some of these are facy restaurants, some just have really good food.

Pizzeria Vittorio-Vicenza, Italy

Hula Grill-Honolulu, Hawaii

Brasa Brazilian Steakhouse-Raleigh, NC

Chai's Island Bistro-Honolulu, Hawaii

Das Gütchen-Bad Kreuznach, Germany

Papacita's-Longview, Texas

Campisi's Egyptian Restaurant-Dallas, TX (actually Italian food)

Big Truck Tacos-Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Dinapoli's Firehouse Restaurant-Barstow, CA

Greek House-Norman, Oklahoma

Teddy's Bigger Burgers-Kailua, Hawaii

Restaurant Mandarin-Bad Kreuznach, Germany

Meers Burgers-Meers, Oklahoma

Hale'iwa Cafe-Hale'iwa, Hawaii

Edited by Mrs Mungo

My favorite restaurants of any kind, anywhere? Hm. Tough one.

Some of these are facy restaurants, some just have really good food.

Pizzeria Vittorio-Vicenza, Italy

Hula Grill-Honolulu, Hawaii

Brasa Brazilian Steakhouse-Raleigh, NC

Chai's Island Bistro-Honolulu, Hawaii

Das Gütchen-Bad Kreuznach, Germany

Papacita's-Longview, Texas

Campisi's Egyptian Restaurant-Dallas, TX (actually Italian food)

Big Truck Tacos-Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Dinapoli's Firehouse Restaurant-Barstow, CA

Greek House-Norman, Oklahoma

Teddy's Bigger Burgers-Kailua, Hawaii

Restaurant Mandarin-Bad Kreuznach, Germany

Meers Burgers-Meers, Oklahoma

Hale'iwa Cafe-Hale'iwa, Hawaii

Hey, Mrs. Mungo:) - did you ever eat at The Willows in Moilili? It's changed hands a few times, but when I ate there eons ago it was a very pleasant experience. I especially loved how it was right in the middle of a very busy neighborhood, but it was so tucked away I felt like I was in my own little island paradise. Can't remember anything about the food except they were known back then (70s) for their one-of-a-kind coconut creme pie.

These are my two favorite restaurants!!

We eat at Old Ebbitt every single time we go downtown, LOL. Never had anything on the menu I didn't like!

We recently tried Founding Farmers when Old Ebbitt was all booked up and it was AWESOME!

I just ate at both places last week, as a matter of fact!

Have you tried the bacon wrapped, bleu cheese stuffed dates at Founding Farmers? Wow. Amazing. Oh....and they have bacon lollipops. And the skirt steak...I could go on! I thought I was in heaven there!

Plaza Azteca is apparently a chain- I've only been to the one in Reading, PA, and my husband, sister-in-law and I all agree- it's FANTASTIC Mexican food! :D

Is this the newish one that opened right near the Berkshire Mall? We will have to give it a try. We live like 25 minutes away from there.

Hey, Mrs. Mungo:) - did you ever eat at The Willows in Moilili? It's changed hands a few times, but when I ate there eons ago it was a very pleasant experience. I especially loved how it was right in the middle of a very busy neighborhood, but it was so tucked away I felt like I was in my own little island paradise. Can't remember anything about the food except they were known back then (70s) for their one-of-a-kind coconut creme pie.

It is a lovely little spot, isn't it? :D My favorite pie on the island is Ted's chocolate haupia pie, yummmmmm!

Hmmmmm, let's see:

Fleur de Lis (pizza) in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Most of the other family owned places we knew and loved down there have closed down, bowing out to franchises....

In Lexington, KY, Sahara (Mediterranean) and Yamamoto (Japanese) are pretty good. Food's just not the same here as it used to be in south LA, however.... Most of the places we eat here that are consistently good are franchises....

If you're ever in Harvard Square in Cambridge, MA, eat at Henrietta's Table in the Charles River Hotel on Bennett St...

Hubs and I were just in Harvard Sq. back in September. We hope to visit again sometime.

Jamaica Kitchen in Miami, FL. It has both Jamaican and Chinese food. Strange, but wonderful...
Hee, hee! My family is Jamaican and this would be something common there (surprisingly, there has been an Asian population in JA for decades). Smart move on the part of the ownership to cover the tasty cuisine of two cultures in one.

Love BAP!

Another Brick Alley Pub fan -- sweet! :thumbup:

I just ate at both places last week, as a matter of fact!

Have you tried the bacon wrapped, bleu cheese stuffed dates at Founding Farmers? Wow. Amazing. Oh....and they have bacon lollipops. And the skirt steak...I could go on! I thought I was in heaven there!

Well, I don't like Blue Cheese; but cheese stuffed dates are something I've been wanting to try!

I had the rib-eye, YUM! I had Fried Green tomatoes for appetizers and me and the hubby split the chocolate cake!!

DS6 ordered a 7-up to drink and it came in a glass bottle..... I read the label.... NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP! I fell in love, LOL!!

I LOVE getting the crab cakes at Old Ebbitt!! My FAVORITE dessert there is the Brownie with Ice Cream on top and Cappuccino poured over it all!! :drool5:

It is a lovely little spot, isn't it? :D My favorite pie on the island is Ted's chocolate haupia pie, yummmmmm!

Oh man, Chocolate haupia pie is one of those things I crave/miss from Hawaii!!

There used to be (maybe still there?) this bakery place called "Jimmies" right across from Schofield.... it was next to that red bar place.... started with a "K". Anyways, they had this awesome salad that had a Lilikoi Vinaigrette, OH MAN, I can still taste it whenever I crave it. Another one of those things I haven't been able to find anywhere else :(

Haha, as a matter of fact, the thing I miss the most about Hawaii, aside from the weather, is the FOOD :)