Menu

Do you keep track of what you read?

Do you keep a written list or log of things you've read?  

1. 1. Do you keep a written list or log of things you've read?

• Yes, I keep a list of things I've read
    • No, I don't keep a list
    • Other (please explain)

I don't keep a list but I'm pretty good about remembering if I've read a book (I can't say the same for movies I've watched :o). I'm probably not able to rattle a list off of every book I read in the last couple of years though, if that's what you're asking.

My problem is remembering that I've *bought* a book and not buying the same one twice . . . or three times. :o

I just started in the beginning of 2009. Before that I would occasionally review a book I read, but didn't keep a full list.

Of course, that led to despair on my part, because I only managed to read 60 books in 2009, and so I figured that, once my younger ones are older, I'll be able to read about 100 books a year, and if I live to 90, that only gives me 50 more years, which means I'll only read about 5000 more books!!! I found that thought very depressing, so I've been trying to ignore it.

:lol:

I don't keep a list but I'm pretty good about remembering if I've read a book (I can't say the same for movies I've watched :o). I'm probably not able to rattle a list off of every book I read in the last couple of years though, if that's what you're asking.

My problem is remembering that I've *bought* a book and not buying the same one twice . . . or three times. :o

:iagree:(with the remembering & esp the buying!)

I'm very OCD about things, so there have been times I wished I kept lists, but then I'd feel like I needed to go back to childhood & list every book I ever read, with author, publication date, & a brief summary & review, & it was just too overwhelming, so I gave up. Several times. :lol:

I kept a spreadsheet for about 2-3 years where I listed books I read. Then keeping the record got to be too much effort (I read a LOT). Numbers were pretty constant the 3 years, so I've got an idea of how many books I read in a year. I never looked back at it.

I'm keeping a spreadsheet of the books I own (and a separate one for homeschool books after I almost bought the same book twice!).

I do keep a record of what ds reads.

I would like to and have started to a couple of times but I read a lot. I used to average about 5-6 books a week. It's gone down since I had my two younger kids but I still average 2-3 a week. I would keep forgetting to record them and then try to remember what I read to bring the record up to date and it was just too much hassle. I'll have to think about adding it to my blog. I'm on there often enough it should remind me and keep it from getting to far behind.

I have a notebook where I put the year and after I finish a book a list them in there. I started because I figured if I ever couldn't remember a book or author I could reference it.

Well also, I just plain like looking at how much I read each year:tongue_smilie:

Me too! :lol:

Mine is simple: month/year, title, author, number rating (1-5) of how I liked it.

This year, I also started adding an entry for books I ditched part-way through. LOL.

I have referred back to it so much! I am so glad I keep track of the books I've read (or tried).

(I've tried keeping a list for my kids, but I just can't do it. They read so much & have so many books going at once that I have no idea how to maintain a list like that....)

I'm very OCD about things, so there have been times I wished I kept lists, but then I'd feel like I needed to go back to childhood & list every book I ever read, with author, publication date, & a brief summary & review, & it was just too overwhelming, so I gave up. Several times.

:lol::lol::lol:

This is *exactly* my problem too!

I use Homeschool Tracker to keep track of the books Otter reads. At the end of the year, I make a scrapbook at Shutterfly.com that has the covers of many/most of the books he read over the year and what we used and did in school (kind of like a yearbook).

For me, I keep track of everything I read in a free program called Data Crow: http://www.datacrow.net/.

I also keep track of many of the movies we watch and stuff like that too.

I guess I got the idea from my great grandma. She used to keep track of all the books she read on 3x5 cards. It was neat to be able to see what all she read over the years.