Menu

Advice Please: Christmas Party Babysitting

KJB

Hi everyone,

I have a question!

If you were organizing an adult only event for a large group of adults, and you wanted to provide child care, what child to sitter ratio would you think adequate for 21 children?

The children's ages range from 1 and mobile up to around 10. There will be at least 5 young children in diapers.

Specifically, what is the bare minimum acceptable number of adults and young teenage (no older than 13) helpers? The childcare will be held in an not child friendly (hard tile floor, no child sized furniture, no soft furniture only desks and tables, etc.) large room.

The party will happen from 5:30 until 10 and the children will not know personally the sitters.

Thanks!

Will the kids be in the same building / accessible by the adults if they just want to 'check in'? If so I would say 2 adults and 3 teen helpers. It depends on the dependability and experience of the people caring for the kids too.

Just make sure that you have done your best to make the room child-friendly, provide snacks, movies, etc for the slightly older ones and some easy quiet toys for the little ones, along with playpens or similar for laying them down. If you provide things for the vast majority of the kids to keep busy, you only need to worry about having enough hands to hold the littlest ones.

The parents will not be accessible. They will be in another building several blocks away.

So, you think one adult, two 13 year olds, and one 11 year old is OK for 21 children?

Two babies will be 1 and there will be 5 or so under 4. The rest will be ages 6 to 9.

There will be a tv screen set up and snacks but no play pens, containment, or soft places for the babies.

Thanks!

Oops, reading comprehension here, you suggested 2 adults. Do you think 1 adult could handle it or do you think that is unreasonable?

Edited by KJB

If the adults don't know the children and are meeting them for the first time, then I would have one adult per child under two, plus one more to supervise the other children and teen helpers.

A few years ago we went to an interstate wedding with another family. Both families had a crawling baby boy and a three yo girl at the time. I found two women who worked as accredited home child carers and booked them both for the night. The carers came to the cabins where we were staying and met the children half an hour before we went out. Both babies were very distressed because they had never been left with an unfamiliar adult in unfamiliar surroundings and they needed to be held, soothed and comforted while the little girls played and ate dinner. The carers told us at the end of the evening they initially thought I had been over cautious booking both of them but were glad I did.

If the adults and children already know each other then I think two competent adults plus teen helpers would be enough.

Good luck with your evening.

Katrina

Truthfully - given the scenario, I wouldn't have left my kids (as little ones) there.

Arrangements being made for the "minimum" amount of (unfamiliar) caregivers, a room that doesn't sound the least bit child friendly, several blocks from the parent party... I'm not keen on how any of that sounds. :001_huh:

I think you need at least 2 adults or older teens and several more younger teens.

I also think the arrangements sound dreadful. Are you expecting small children to sit and watch television for 4 1/2 hours? Mine wouldn't. If you did not have toys for them to play with, they would run around the room and climb on or under the furniture.

Your party extends way past most children's bedtime. Overtired children and no place to rest is not a good mix. At the very least you need a bunch of sleeping bags or comforters for the children. If you cannot provide them, ask the parents to bring them.

Are the parents amenable this the set-up?

The rest of the story is that my Girl Scout troop of cadets, seniors, and ambassador aged girls (11 almost 12 to 18) were asked to volunteer (read: we don't want to pay you) to babysit for this party.

I will be able to go but only three of my girls (11, 13, and 13) will be able to help.

We do a lot of community service so the no-pay is not a big deal, but the conditions and expectation that this group are expecting of my girls (and really of me) seem to cross over the line between good deed and being taken advantage of.

I offered to supply crayons, blocks, and some blankets (when I thought they were asking us to help out some other phantom babysitters) to which they responded with a request that I bring copies of holiday coloring sheets, which of course are consumable and not free....:001_huh:

I wanted some objective opinions to validate that I'm not crazy and that this situation is crazy.

Thanks!

Well, in their defense, they are trying to provide babysitting so that the younger families who won't be able to come if they have to pay for sitters will still be able to attend.

I think their hearts are in the right place. It's their brains that are in question.:D

How many adults would you need to get all the kids out safely in the event of a fire?

I had thought that you were planning a party yourself and didn't want to reply because I thought you were absolutely barking mad to even consider that lol!

Now you've cleared that up I know you are not.

All the children under 8 would need a place to sleep-even if it were just blankets as they wouldn't make it to 10pm. I wouldn't consider anyone under 16 as an official helper either as they couldn't be expected to perform in an emergency.

Nice idea but not thought out at all!

Stephanie

The rest of the story is that my Girl Scout troop of cadets, seniors, and ambassador aged girls (11 almost 12 to 18) were asked to volunteer (read: we don't want to pay you) to babysit for this party.

I will be able to go but only three of my girls (11, 13, and 13) will be able to help.

We do a lot of community service so the no-pay is not a big deal, but the conditions and expectation that this group are expecting of my girls (and really of me) seem to cross over the line between good deed and being taken advantage of.

I offered to supply crayons, blocks, and some blankets (when I thought they were asking us to help out some other phantom babysitters) to which they responded with a request that I bring copies of holiday coloring sheets, which of course are consumable and not free....:001_huh:

I wanted some objective opinions to validate that I'm not crazy and that this situation is crazy.

Thanks!

Then I can freely say that one adult and a few teen/pre-teen helpers are inadequate to watch over the 21 children you described (babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and maybe older).

I think they are taking advantage of you. What kind of people would expect free babysitters? I'm sure they're paying out plenty of money for the rest of their party expenses.

I would not allow my daughter to attend (as a sitter). And I certainly would never leave my children in a situation like this (as someone said, unknown caretakers, not child-friendly environment, several blocks away).

Is it too late to back out? Or tell the host that in situations like this, it is reasonable to expect a generous donation to your troop? This is not community service. And for heaven's sake, tell them you are unable to provide free coloring sheets. (At the very LEAST, they could go to Walmart and pick up coloring books and crayons.)

It sounds like you had good intentions, but this has snowballed into something to which you never should have agreed. :confused:

The funny (?) thing is that the planners have four children themselves. Their kids are out of diapers and school age so maybe they've forgotten??

I originally agreed to "helping out" ("help out" was the phrase we were presented with when asked) with what I thought was an organized effort where our girls were to be extra sitters joining with the "real" sitters.

I didn't have any idea until yesterday (when I received an email that we were indeed "it" after I asked how many other adults would be there) that they expected me to be the lone adult (not even allowed by the Girl Scouts for any functions) and my girls to be the sole care providers.

This is community service because the people in question are all military members and we are stationed in a fairly remote area. Some of the families here probably get to do very little because of our location and the expense.

Thanks to all, again. If anyone thinks it's reasonable, please defend these people. I am planning to call and gently suggest they need to rethink the arrangement.

With 6 toddlers and babies, no, I would never feel comfortable leaving my young child with only 1 adult. I wouldn't feel that 1 adult and a couple of 13 year olds would pay enough attention to my toddler/preschooler to keep him safe. My 10 year old on the other hand- no problem. But she's much more self-sufficient and can entertain herself pretty well isn't going to potentially get herself in trouble or into danger.

There definitely need to be more adults- and the teens should be paid- and there needs to be things for the kids to DO. I agree these people are taking advantage!

I think it would be very reasonable for all of the families to split the cost of ADDING sitters to the total that you are bringing. Good grief. Our babysitter charges a flat rate for a set number of kids, 5$ an hour. She works with Sunday School groups all of the time and would be awesome added into the mix, although I would pay her more for this situation.

Hire 2 adults, making it clear they will have help. Split the cost among all the families. If the workers split $20 an hour, that's less than $1 per hour per child. And I do think the party should end at 9:00, especially when they have no place for the children to sleep.... Really? They need to bring pack-n-plays.

THEN your troop would add on as community service.

Honestly I would say 3 adults, with 5 helpers would be my preferred. 2 adults with the youngers, and 1 with the olders. 2 helpers with the youngers, and 3 with the olders. I'd split the older group for games (some gym-type, some board), and such to help pass the time. Will they be providing food? Sounds like dinner will be needed, as well as some snacks. I agree that sleeping bags or such would need to be available, as well.

If I showed up and there was 1 adult and 3 young helpers with a slew of kids, I'd be leaving - with kids in tow. I don't think that is a reasonable set-up.

minimum of two over 16. One for the toddlers, one for the others.

Two younger helpers for toddlers. Two younger helpers for the others.

You would also need to have some beds of some sort and a changing area with a sink available for little ones. I would suggest having some organized games, a craft, and a snack for the olders. I really don't think you are going to get by with some crayons and coloring sheets. Maybe split them up into two age groups for those.

In other words, I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole with one adult and 3 kids with no activities provided.

Edited by Lolly

Honestly, I wouldn't do it and I wouldn't leave my kids there, not as babies, toddlers, children or sitters.

If it was your party, your friends, you were controlling the situation and you had enough adults, then OK. The scenario you describe is a recipe for disaster and as others have said, you will be held responsible.

Katrina

That is crazy. I would want at least 2 adults but at least 3 over 16, and at least 2 others over 13. I consider 13 and under ok to help, but not ok to count towards my staffing requirement. In the event of an emergency, the 13 and unders will need adults to care for and look out for them as well. If they are military, they will have some clear childcare rules. I would suggest the organizers find out the post requirements for child supervision.

I highly doubt this is even legal and, considering you're doing this as representatives of an organization, in a public (?) building, legal is going to matter. I would find out the legal requirements in your area for adult to child ratios of childcare and let the organizers know that is the minimum you will need in order for your group to participate. Oh, and that ratio should be for qualified care providers, not for pre-teens that are only there for extra hands as helpers.

As others have said, this is unsafe and in no way would I leave my kids in such a situation. It's impossible for you to deal with any type of emergency and still have the kids be watched. Heck, you wouldn't even be able to go to the bathroom all night!

1 adult and 2 helpers for the under 2 crowd. One adult for the 18 and then 3 helpers for the over 2 crowd would maybe work out. This would be if you had lots of activities. I'd have a movie playing on one side of the building... Maybe Veggie Tales?? I'd also wear an Ergo if you can handle that... and the other adult... if they are use to one.... I'd bring in some kid things from somewhere... maybe ask a church to let you use theirs??

The tile kinda would bother me with babies... no helpers walking with kids... only playing on the ground with them.

:)

They want you to babysit 21 mostly young children in a room that's not baby-proofed, with no adequate toys, with no place for them to sit or lie down comfortably, with just 3 young girls and yourself? For free? That is completely unreasonable. The possibilities for injury are too high.

-Efforts should be made to babyproof the room as much as possible. How clean will the floor be? Young children still sit on the floor to play a lot.

-Places for the kids to sit or lie down comfortably need to be provided (kid size folding tables and chairs? some of these parents must own something like this)

-Toys need to be provided. Anything consumable needs to be provided by the organizers. You shouldn't have to lose money on the deal.

-If adequate baby-proofing isn't possible - at least one adult and one helper for every 2 children under 5, at least one adult and one-two helpers per every 3-4 older children depending on how old. Anything less and it will be too hard to keep them safe in a non-babyproofed environment. You could go with less IF the room was made safe.

What are you supposed to do if a child needs to go potty? Is there a bathroom right off the room? or will they be wandering around a strange building and someone will need to go with them? That will make a difference to your numbers as well.

Since the room is already off-site, isn't there someplace better they could do this? None of the parents have a home rec room that could be used?

This whole arrangement is crazy. I wouldn't allow my 16 year old to be involved in this with the potential for disaster and I wouldn't leave my 3 and 5 year olds there.

This is ridiculous. I understand their desire to provide babysitting for the families, but this isn't a good scenario. If the area could be made more child friendly, or even PERSON friendly, I would bring my husband or a friend as extra adults to help. But there needs to be furniture and comfy places for children to sit, a place for toddlers to sleep, and there need to be a variety of activities....books, coloring, play dough, games, movies. I might be willing to work with them and try to find some other adults/ older teens to help, for my part, but the facility needs to be appropriate for kids.

This sounds more like a prison than babysitting.

Truthfully - given the scenario, I wouldn't have left my kids (as little ones) there.

Arrangements being made for the "minimum" amount of (unfamiliar) caregivers, a room that doesn't sound the least bit child friendly, several blocks from the parent party... I'm not keen on how any of that sounds. :001_huh:

:iagree:

I think you need at least 2 adults or older teens and several more younger teens.

I also think the arrangements sound dreadful. Are you expecting small children to sit and watch television for 4 1/2 hours? Mine wouldn't. If you did not have toys for them to play with, they would run around the room and climb on or under the furniture.

Your party extends way past most children's bedtime. Overtired children and no place to rest is not a good mix. At the very least you need a bunch of sleeping bags or comforters for the children. If you cannot provide them, ask the parents to bring them.

Are the parents amenable this the set-up?

:iagree:

I actually could not see how a responsible parent would leave their child(ren) in this situation. DH and I would be skipping out on this party.

The parents will not be accessible. They will be in another building several blocks away.

So, you think one adult, two 13 year olds, and one 11 year old is OK for 21 children?

Two babies will be 1 and there will be 5 or so under 4. The rest will be ages 6 to 9.

There will be a tv screen set up and snacks but no play pens, containment, or soft places for the babies.

Thanks!

Oops, reading comprehension here, you suggested 2 adults. Do you think 1 adult could handle it or do you think that is unreasonable?

For the number of children and ages (and number of very young still in diapers)... I would be uncomfortable (and refuse to leave my children) as a parent entrusting my children with any less than 2 adults with 3 teen (preferabley 15+ age) helpers. In event of emergencies and such, it just would be asking for too much for young helpers to take over without adult present even for 10 minutes. Also the environment does not sound good. I wouldn't be leaving my kids there without it being child friendly and safe. Which this scenerio is neither.

That would give it about 10 children to each adult. I would prefer three adults for ideal.

1 helper to specifically help keep eye on the very young and the other two helpers to be with the non-diapered kids.

Edited by AnitaMcC

I'm surprised they cannot arrange for childcare for this. We're a military family and there have been quite a few adult-only functions where free childcare was provided (especially in isolated areas).

Under no circumstances would I leave my kids in that kind of situation, especially if I had a toddler. Even with a toddler, I wouldn't be comfortable staying out that late unless we had an in-home sitter.

Going out without kiddos is wonderful sometimes but I wouldn't put my kids in a dangerous situation. It's been over 6 months since dh and I have been out alone because we haven't met anyone since we moved that I'd trust to watch my kids.

I don't see how this scenario fits either the Girl Scouts or military rules. You need to simply tell them that you can't get a second adult, and therefore cannot do it. The Girl Scouts insurance will not cover you unless you follow Safetywise to the letter. It is not optional. (I imagine it has something to say about baby-sitting too.)

If they volunteer a second adult, then you can get into all the other problems with the plan (child-safe environment, adult to child ratio, food, activities, expenses, timing, emergency plan, distance from party, etc.)

• 4 weeks later...