Menu

What happened to Opt-Out Day?

Just got done reading the news and several articles said that the big Opt-Out protest ended up being a whole lot of nothing. So what does that mean? People are OK with the new procedures? They are not OK with it but they want to fly so they put up with it? People just like to complain a lot about things but they don't want to actually do anything about it?

They don't have scanners or pat-downs here in Malaysia so it's not an issue for me flying out. Flying home is another story. After reading all the threads here and the news articles about how outraged everyone is about the new procedures, I REALLY expected there to be some big hullabaloo at airports around the nation but...nothing big happened.

???

My 78 year old MIL flew here from Denver yesterday. She was patted down. She said it was nothing. She was expecting it to be really bad and invasive from all she'd heard, but she said it was really no big deal at all. In fact, she said to the TSA agent, "Is that it?" The agent just laughed and said, "Yep".

I think people AREN'T happy, but *most* of the people who walk through security do so without incident and to stage a protest today would mean thousands of passengers not getting home to loved ones for the holidays and, worse, possibly preventing *others* from getting home to loved ones for the holidays.

Most people who went through security today were subjected *neither* to the scanner *nor* to invasive pat-downs. They walked through the metal detectors just like they would have a few weeks ago, nothing beeped, and they kept on walking. The scanners are only available in a limited number of airports and even in those airports in a limited number of lines. The have *not* been put into use in all airports or even for all passengers at all airports. So the vast majority of flyers aren't even potentially subjected to the scanners. In some airports, those people who set off the metal detectors can go through the scanner. It may not be their first choice, but it seems like a small sacrifice. If they refuse *or* if there is no scanner available (frequently the case!), they may be subjected to the more invasive pat-down procedure.

So I think it's easier for people to think, "I won't make a stink about this" when the odds are in their favor that they won't be faced with the scanner *or* the pat-down. ... Unfortunately for certain people (a friend with an artificial hip that *always* sets off the metal detector), the new procedures are a problem each and every time. For the rest of us, so far at least, they're only a potential and occasional hazard. I think it's easy to look the other way when that's the case.

Most people are reporting low travel volume in airports and that the TSA wasn't pulling anybody out of lines for the scanners. Don't think the TSA didn't do this intentionally to get around an Opt Out Day stink.

I haven't watched any news on this since early this morning but from what other people are saying online it appears that the airports were a lot less busy than they should be today.

Edited by GVD22

I have watched any news on this since early this morning but from what other people are saying online it appears that the airports were a lot less busy than they should be today.

:iagree:

I heard something along this lines, as well as a possible reduced number of people pulled out for the scanners, perhaps some less invasive pat-downs so there would be no stink today. The question will be whether or not this was to thwart the protest plan, or if they're backing down. I'm sorry to suggest, I think it's the former. They're just going to go more slowly implementing their fiendish plans. :glare:

I think I must be jaded.

Our local news just had a story on this. They said that at Sea-Tac there were a few protesters but most people just focused on getting to their locations - and they used the scanners. Most people interviewed said that they'd rather have the scanners than to opt-out and be groped.

I feel the same way...I'd much rather go through the scanner than be groped.

Our local news just had a story on this. They said that at Sea-Tac there were a few protesters but most people just focused on getting to their locations - and they used the scanners. Most people interviewed said that they'd rather have the scanners than to opt-out and be groped.

We watched the news tonight, and it was the same. They inteviewed many people who were yelling back at or arguing with the protesters.

I thought the reason the opt-out day didn't go was because the DHS has required the TSA to provide them with the name and address of any person who disagrees with their (TSA) procedures vocally or otherwise while going through security. DHS has decided to declare these people who are complaining of losing their Constitutional rights "domestic extremists".

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/30286

Off topic... but I found it funny:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/new-anti-scanner-undies-hide-and-protect-your-private-parts-2413761/;_ylt=AkDH5qd0guIFUHOgAiNgzftabqU5

I like the fact people are capitalizing on the madness. ;) Our local news said there were no protesters in the DFW area and extra TSA officers hired to handle the holiday rush. Many people flew and no delays.

I'm not too discouraged.

We meant to go to SeaTac today to protest, but are still stuck in our neighborhood after the big snow. I didn't even drive to the store, let alone the airport. Steep hills and compact snow and ice between me and the freeway. Instead of going to the airport, we wrote our congressmen.

I'm also reading that the airports were less busy than expected, and that many folks reported seeing the new scanners roped off -- not being used at all.

Smart move by the TSA, if you ask me. If there's nothing to opt out of, Opt Out Day looks like a big flop. No effort required on the TSA's part at all...

I'm hoping to see some data proving that travel was down for the day. That would be an even bigger success than a one day protest.

Low volume on such a typically busy day might light a little fire under the airlines. Their profit margins are so small right now that they can't afford to lose passengers. I'm hoping enough families will change their travel plans that eventually the airlines themselves will pressure the government.

Most people interviewed said that they'd rather have the scanners than to opt-out and be groped.

Yeah, I guess that's the plan. Everyone was complaining about the scanners so much they found something even more egregious and suddenly the scanners are preferable. Ugh.

Well really, to pick the busiest travel day of the year for a big protest? That's just stupid. If I were just trying to get to my family and protesters cause me to miss my flight or be delayed, I'd be severely pissed. The protesters wouldn't be hurting anyone but the average traveler trying to get somewhere on an already busy and stressful day.

We live in Germany and have the scanners at our airport, but no one really cares. Most of the time everyone just goes through the regular metal detectors and only a few people ever get pulled for the scanners and usually just because they made the metal detector beep.

I think travel was light because a lot of people don't have the money to travel. I think travel would have been light whether or not the TSA procedures were in place.

I caught a news story that the business man who originally proposed opt out day (didn't catch his name) wasn't flying. He was driving and had never planned to fly anyway because he wasn't going very far. I find that a bit obnoxious. If you are going to propose a protest, get national attention then I think you ought to participate.

I'm hoping enough families will change their travel plans that eventually the airlines themselves will pressure the government.

Yeah, I hope so, too. I heard some cancer experts are concerned about the radiation people are being exposed to with the scanners. At least you can't get cancer from the pat-downs.

I saw where TSA was threatening to fine people up to $10000 for walking away from the security measures.

Natural News also said that many of the machines were off.

Either way, last night on the news the DC airports looked nearly empty. 95 was backed up all over the place, but the airports were wide open spaces.

Yeah, I guess that's the plan. Everyone was complaining about the scanners so much they found something even more egregious and suddenly the scanners are preferable. Ugh.

I kind of think this was the intention to begin with. "The people are complaining about scanners?...we will show them!"

I saw where TSA was threatening to fine people up to $10000 for walking away from the security measures.

Natural News also said that many of the machines were off.

Either way, last night on the news the DC airports looked nearly empty. 95 was backed up all over the place, but the airports were wide open spaces.

I shouldn't get fined for deciding I don't want to fly :glare:

Dd flew out of a major city but not the major airport, and she said it was completely empty. It was an early flight. There were no pat downs or scanning going on. She arrived at a smaller airport and was met by the media and interviewed. They asked how it went and she said it was a non-issue because it did not happen. They asked her feelings about the measures, and she told them our family all felt the same way about the new measures, that they were an invasion of privacy. And then they asked what she was thankful for... and she said, being together, especially since it appears that is going to get harder and harder.

San Antonio International Airport was not using the scanners so there was nothing to opt out of. Every news report I saw said things were going smoothly but, if you looked behind the reporter the airport was almost empty. Well, of course things were going smoothly.

I think the protest (that never was) was a huge success. I think a lot of people opted out of flying but you will never hear the government run media admit that.

I also read that many of the scanners were roped off and that the airports were empty compared to normal.

I also heard on the news that they were expecting a much higher number of people to be driving to their destinations this year than normal.

I will not be flying until the situation is changed, unless it is an absolute emergency. We normally fly out to Arizona once a year to visit my SIL. This time we will either drive or go somewhere else.