Menu

Mom feeds family of six for $4 a week

I used to be a super couponer like that but got burned out. I have enough toothpaste and razors for several years . Toilet paper and paper towel coupons here are only a quarter off and even doubled, it's just not worth buying the paper or coupons plus postage for. I don't drink tea. We don't eat processed foods much anymore due to me having to be gluten free. I am in a produce co-op that is cheaper than the sales. I buy the meat that is on sale that week or buy it from reduced bin. When I did buy bread, I bought it at the bread store when it was day old -20-30 loaves or buns for $4.

I need to look into some for canned tomatoes, cheese, some yogurts, sour cream, eggland eggs, uncured bacon, envirokids cereal

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now for every $100 spent we receive 10 cents a gallon off of a tank of gas. It eases the pain of grocery shopping a little bit.

The store here that offers this deal is too expensive. I earn more than the piddling ($1 to $2) saved on gas by buying elsewhere, I've found.

As for "$4/week" -- I expect that to mean her family regularly eats on $4/week. Not that they managed, one time, to get a week's worth of food for $4.

When I say our family budget is $50/week, I mean averaged over time. Not what we spend in one particular week!

Edited by vonfirmath

Who gets the 1/4 lb of perch? And what did she get like 1 or 2 scallops for $1?

the way i understood it was that she split the order into tiny bits so she could get it free - i think she said she had seven coupons for a dollar off...but you can't use seven coupons at once to make $7 off... so she made seven separate little orders that were about a buck each, and then used all seven coupons..making the fish practically free. same amount of fish, less cost.

[and why are people ragging on her food choices? not everyone is able to eat super frisky fresh happy skippy free range organic everything. plus they barely showed anything - who knows what's in her fridge and freezer.]

My sister and my neighbor give me the coupons from the newspaper though. Also the best coupons often come from the internet. You can generally print two coupons per computer. There are tons of printable coupons out there for organic products now.

You are allowed to use one coupon per item' date=' or one manufacturer's coupon and one store coupon per item.[/quote']

Our store won't take printable coupons :glare:

Yes, but she mentions getting two different types of seafood with the 7 coupons. So she gets, what in total, a 1 lb of perch and 1/4 lb of scallops for 6 people? Or 5 people, I'm guessing at least one must be a baby because she purchased baby food. I'll also wager she has 0 teenage boys.

More power to her. I find these type of news stories annoying because it really can't work for most people. I'd love to know how she gets that Pelligrino for next to nothing. :D

[and why are people ragging on her food choices? not everyone is able to eat super frisky fresh happy skippy free range organic everything. plus they barely showed anything - who knows what's in her fridge and freezer.]

Exactly. I never understand why people come down so hard with so little information. It's a few seconds of film the producer can slice and dice any way which way they want. We have no idea if she bought 10 lbs of organic veggies or skippy gleeful free- range apples for .5 cents that same week.

I don't know - there seems to be a lot of condescension toward this woman and what's she's doing. Yes, she feeds her family processed foods, but that does not mean what she's doing can't be an encouragement to others. I am confident that with the state of the economy and most families on the board here living on one income (and all the "how can I cut back my groceries", "how can I make money at home", etc. threads) - she may really inspire some people here to do more with what they have. Maybe she'll be an example to look harder for deals - processed and not.

I think it's awesome that she can do that and I hope that she inspires other families to work hard toward saving money. Everyone's mileage will vary - but I am shocked at how little work people are willing to put into saving money. I do the CVS thing here and save TONS and TONS. I haven't paid more than a dollar for shampoo, deodorant, feminine supplies, toothpaste, toothbrushes, lotion, and tons more in years. Usually it's free. I've used a ton, donated TONS and have a great way to save a lot of money on things we use all the time. I've offered to show people how to do it and they just scoff, "That's too much work" or "I only buy whole foods". I spend no more than an hour a week clipping and organizing and then I shop. My kids laugh about all the free stuff. And it's all brand name stuff, too. For groceries - sure there's lots of processed food (that no doubt a food pantry would really appreciate - for lots of families FOOD is more important than processed or not) but there is also lots of savings on milk, meat, frozen fruit and veggies, yogurt, etc. There are good deals out there for other foods - it may just take a little longer to work it out. Even if you're only doing toiletries and other less processed stuff - there are TONS of savings out there and it really does not take that much work to take advantage of them.

So for those who were intrigued - it can be done. You can save. You can save on things other than processed foods.

I coupon and am darned proud of it. We don't eat a ton of boxed foods, but I will open a can of corn that I got super cheap and mix with taco meat. Beans that are .04 a can I can not pass up. I get coupons for rice all of the time and use it on brown rice. Over the summer I had coupons for fresh pineapple .50/1 which doubled and we ate a ton of fresh pineapple. I had a coupon for a free Minute Maid Lemonade pop with the purchase of a watermelon, I would take the Lemonade to our church Bible Study. I just bought a ten boxes of crackers for a $1 each and will get a $10 rebate from Keebler, so they will be free. We won't eat them all, I will probably take them to our Wednesday evening dinner with a cheese ball or give them to the neighbors for Christmas with a cheeseball. I can't afford not to coupon. Free dish soap a while back from Wm and the $1 off Gain coupons, free toothpaste, shampoo, cheap toilet paper, $.39 cans of Lindsay olives, .49 containers of Multigrain Pringles.(used for dh's lunch because he takes it every day, which is healthier than eating out) It's hard not to judge others about what's in their shopping cart, but come on people, this mom is probably doing the best that she could.

Everyone's mileage will vary - but I am shocked at how little work people are willing to put into saving money. I do the CVS thing here and save TONS and TONS. I haven't paid more than a dollar for shampoo, deodorant, feminine supplies, toothpaste, toothbrushes, lotion, and tons more in years. Usually it's free.

What is the CVS thing? You mean the drug store CVS? I shop there all the time and have never seen shampoo or lotion for a dollar. Please elaborate. Thanks!

What is the CVS thing? You mean the drug store CVS? I shop there all the time and have never seen shampoo or lotion for a dollar. Please elaborate. Thanks!

I would recommend checking out moneysavingmom dot com - she has a great tutorial called CVS 101 - you can probably google it too. My other favorite site is Southern Savers. Both are super helpful and tell you what's on sale every week, what coupons you need and where to find them.

And as an aside - I have found great deals on organics at my Kroger. I bout about 10 Annie's organic salad dressing (to expire in late 2011) for $0.19 a bottle. I had previously purchased it there for $0.49 cents (normal retail is around $3). Last week I got Annie's organic mac and cheese (yes - processed but organic and better than other brands) for $0.49 a box - all varieties. It can be done!!

My sister and my neighbor give me the coupons from the newspaper though. Also the best coupons often come from the internet. You can generally print two coupons per computer. There are tons of printable coupons out there for organic products now.

You are allowed to use one coupon per item' date=' or one manufacturer's coupon and one store coupon per item.[/quote']

Would you post links to reputable websites?

I think if you have the luxury to be able to spend $200+ in one grocery shopping trip - then good for you whatever you spend it on.

But for others, that's the difference between working two jobs, having money for meds or utilities, or buying fresh fruit and veggies.

If you have the luxery of not having to spend time trying to save your family valuable funds, again - good for you.

But many people in this economy do not have the luxery to snub their noses over processed food and they spend many hours of sleepless nights trying to make there funds stretch. And for many others, doing what this woman is doing has kept them financially solid enough that they can sleep at night with a lot less worry than otherwise.

We still have this deal at one of our grocery stores. If you spent $300 cumulative over several weeks you received a free turkey coupon. I got my free turkey today! Even with my cut backs because of DHs job I would have spent $300 in groceries over a few weeks anyway. The turkey was just a bonus.

Now for every $100 spent we receive 10 cents a gallon off of a tank of gas. It eases the pain of grocery shopping a little bit.

The most I got off from gas was $1.20 a gallon!

I just spent more than $4.00 for a cup of coffee, so maybe I'm not the best person to join this thread, but in my defense, it was a really good cup of coffee, and there was foam and syrup involved. ;)

It sounds like it would be a ton of work to try to save that much money on your food bill, and that you'd end up eating a lot of stuff that no one really liked or wanted. I always wonder if these families always shop that way, or if it's just something they're doing because they're making a video or writing a book on how to live inexpensively.

I don't use coupons or look for sales on food, because it all seems so time-consuming, and by the time I go from store to store to save a dollar here and another 50 cents there, how much am I really saving? I don't just mean gas and car expenses, but time as well. Your time is worth something, and it seems to me that it would take an incredible amount of time (and pilfering coupons from all of your neighbors' newspapers) to reach the point where you're getting a cartful of groceries for $4.00.

I admire anyone who can set a budget and stick to it, and who is good at managing their money. If your financial situation requires that you not spend a lot on food, and you are able to find ways to stretch those dollars, I truly commend you for it. But I think there is a point of overkill, and the $4.00 to feed a family of four thing seems to be way beyond that point.

Seriously, a gallon of milk or a carton of orange juice costs $4.00!

Cat

Used my coupons today and I spent 49.87 and saved 68.95 in coupons. I also qualified for my free turkey.

I bought

8 cereals

2 bags sliced almonds

2 canola oil

2 aluminum wraps

2 unbleached flour

2 boxes macaroni shells (for stuffed shells)

2 cream cheese

10 lbs russet potatoes

1 redi whip

1 sour cream

1 ricotta

3 frozen chopped spinach

2 cough drops

1 toothpaste

1 toothbrush

1 cake mix

YES, I have holiday stuff in there we don't eat all the time, but still, that's a lot of food here (northern NJ) for 49 bucks. I went to costco earlier for my milk (2.74) and weekly items. And, not that I have to justify how we eat, but cereals on a day that I'm flying out the door are a godsend.

Edited by justamouse

Seriously, a gallon of milk or a carton of orange juice costs $4.00!

Cat

It all depends on where you live. A gallon of milk in NJ at a regular grocery store costs almost 4, but if I go to costco it costs me 2.7. And I grind my starbucks at home (costco starbucks is 10 dollars for a 2.5 lb bag). *g*

Now I can go to the auction this weekend with a wad of cash in my pocket. There's an oriental rug I have my eye on.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I think the old saying "You get what you pay for" applies here. It is awesome that moms can shop that cheaply, but in the long run I think you pay for it with medical bills.

I think it's awesome that she can do that and I hope that she inspires other families to work hard toward saving money. Everyone's mileage will vary - but I am shocked at how little work people are willing to put into saving money. I do the CVS thing here and save TONS and TONS. I haven't paid more than a dollar for shampoo, deodorant, feminine supplies, toothpaste, toothbrushes, lotion, and tons more in years. Usually it's free. I've used a ton, donated TONS and have a great way to save a lot of money on things we use all the time. I've offered to show people how to do it and they just scoff, "That's too much work" or "I only buy whole foods". I spend no more than an hour a week clipping and organizing and then I shop. My kids laugh about all the free stuff. And it's all brand name stuff, too. For groceries - sure there's lots of processed food (that no doubt a food pantry would really appreciate - for lots of families FOOD is more important than processed or not) but there is also lots of savings on milk, meat, frozen fruit and veggies, yogurt, etc. There are good deals out there for other foods - it may just take a little longer to work it out. Even if you're only doing toiletries and other less processed stuff - there are TONS of savings out there and it really does not take that much work to take advantage of them.

So for those who were intrigued - it can be done. You can save. You can save on things other than processed foods.

I get all of my toiletries for nothing, too.

I have four papers sent to the house (6 bucks) and so I get 6 coupon circulars. I just keep them, and when I get my store fliers I only cut out what I'm going to use. I spend -MAYBE an hour in total figuring all that out. 68 bucks for my hour? Yeah, I just paid myself well.

I use Walgreens for my toiletries and not only do I get stuff for free, but then they give those bucks back that I get to use another time. They have sulfate free shampoos, organics, --now, granted, I live where they WANT organics in Walgreens, so that's what's supplied. In other areas the stores may not stock such items.

I think the old saying "You get what you pay for" applies here. It is awesome that moms can shop that cheaply, but in the long run I think you pay for it with medical bills.

Sure. I agree.

But for many people on low funds, that's the price they pay for being low income.

I don't use coupons or look for sales on food, because it all seems so time-consuming, and by the time I go from store to store to save a dollar here and another 50 cents there, how much am I really saving? I don't just mean gas and car expenses, but time as well. Your time is worth something, and it seems to me that it would take an incredible amount of time (and pilfering coupons from all of your neighbors' newspapers) to reach the point where you're getting a cartful of groceries for $4.00.he $4.00 to feed a family of four thing seems to be way beyond that point.

Cat

I've cut down to only shopping ShopRite and CVS (across the street from each other), so my shopping time isn't really increased. I'd guestimate that I spend 2 hours/wk on planning my trip (or dh's trip), but I'll admit that that's after a few years of practice! It was probably closer to 5 hours when I was first figuring it all out and squeezing EVERY deal from multiple stores.

My 2 hours saves me $80-$150/wk. Now, that doesn't put me anywhere NEAR $4/wk in spending, lol (more like $100-150), but it's most definitely worth 2 hours of my time and effort! ;)

If it works for them, great, but I didn't see a single fruit or vegetable there. I saw tons of processed foods, and my family just doesn't eat a whole lot of processed foods. I don't coupon for that reason. I would love to save a ton of money, but I can't see putting that much time into something that won't benefit our family. :confused:

ETA: I am in a very grumpy mood, so feel free to ignore all posts from me tonight.

They did totally bypass the produce section, but maybe she gets it frozen or canned?

I get all of my toiletries for nothing, too.

I have four papers sent to the house (6 bucks) and so I get 6 coupon circulars. I just keep them, and when I get my store fliers I only cut out what I'm going to use. I spend -MAYBE an hour in total figuring all that out. 68 bucks for my hour? Yeah, I just paid myself well.

I use Walgreens for my toiletries and not only do I get stuff for free, but then they give those bucks back that I get to use another time. They have sulfate free shampoos, organics, --now, granted, I live where they WANT organics in Walgreens, so that's what's supplied. In other areas the stores may not stock such items.

Shoot! I could have used another $10 off Oral-B toothbrush coupon. :) I wanted to buy 2 of them (one for each boy) and with the CVS deal this week, they would have been free.

Apparently there's some stiff CVS competition around these parts, though, 'cause when I tried to buy the 1 I do have a coupon for, they were all sold out. :(

Maybe I'll send you a few SASEs and when I need an extra coupon you're not using, you can drop it in the mail to me. :D

Shoot! I could have used another $10 off Oral-B toothbrush coupon. :) I wanted to buy 2 of them (one for each boy) and with the CVS deal this week, they would have been free.

Apparently there's some stiff CVS competition around these parts, though, 'cause when I tried to buy the 1 I do have a coupon for, they were all sold out. :(

Maybe I'll send you a few SASEs and when I need an extra coupon you're not using, you can drop it in the mail to me. :D

It can get crazy, but CVS generally has a good raincheck program that includes the Extra Care Bucks. ;)

PM me, I have TONS of coupons I never use.

If I shopped like that my dd would have terrible skin outbreaks due to her allergies. She would also be malnourished because to make up for her lack of eating milk products she eat's a lot of broccoli and other vegetables.She also use's rice milk fortified with calcium. I didn't see any fresh vegetables in that cart. My dd eats fresh vegetables every day.

Also, driving from store to store to use all of those coupon's would use up a lot of expensive gas.

Another problem is we don't have all of the stores mentioned in the video.

I have found that we do save a significant amount by shopping at Winco. I know Winco is not every where. If you do happen to have a Winco within a reasonable driving distance you may want to try it.

Edited by Miss Sherry

Just wondering. Doesn't she have to spend some money to get the coupons in the first place? Our Sunday paper costs $2. Do they factor that cost in when they ring up the total or do they consider that negligible?

I know that our paper here runs specials where you can subscribe for less than a dollar a week.

If I shopped like that my dd would have terrible skin outbreaks due to her allergies. She would also be malnourished because to make up for her lack of eating milk products she eat's a lot of broccoli and other vegetables.She also use's rice milk fortified with calcium. I didn't see any fresh vegetables in that cart. My dd eats fresh vegetables every day.

Also, driving from store to store to use all of those coupon's would use up a lot of expensive gas.

Mumbo Sprouts also has all organic coupons. Lots of times I get Almond milk, Soy milk, elderberry cough syrups. Really good stuff.

I use coupons and we eat *tons* of vegetables and fruits a week. Dd's boyrfriend just joked that the Chiquita Banana lady's hat exploded all over our counters. I had three bags of bananas , one pineapple, 9 pounds of pears, 10 lbs of apples, 1 box of clementines, 20 lbs of organic carrots, cabbage, broccoli and oranges.

I use almost NO gas. I live less than a mile from the stores.

Mumbo Sprouts also has all organic coupons. Lots of times I get Almond milk, Soy milk, elderberry cough syrups. Really good stuff.

There are three there that I want, but I can't get them to print. I'm going to open IE and see if I can get them that way.

Nope: I couldn't download the coupon program from Mumbo Sprouts either. I get an error.

Edited by Parrothead

I would really love to be able to shop like she does, but I always assumed that coupons were for highly processed stuff - maybe I need to look into it more. So of you have given me great ideas (i.e. looking at the gluten-free sites). We do already have a pretty bare bones budget for food/pets/toiletries of around $125 per week for 6 people and 10 pets.

Off to check out some of these sites, although I'll admit the whole CVS thing scares the heck out of me.

i thought she did an amazing job saving money :D & i wish we could do that here! unfortunately, stores don't allow doubling or using more than one coupon per item here - and we don't get coupons in our newspaper.

eta: also, most stores here will NOT accept "internet coupons".

Yes, I've come across a store not accepting internet coupons. I think that is due to the amount of money they have lost due to coupon fraud.

I use coupons and we eat *tons* of vegetables and fruits a week. Dd's boyrfriend just joked that the Chiquita Banana lady's hat exploded all over our counters. I had three bags of bananas , one pineapple, 9 pounds of pears, 10 lbs of apples, 1 box of clementines, 20 lbs of organic carrots, cabbage, broccoli and oranges.

That's great that you live so close to the stores. We have a Safeway in our town and they are more expensive than a lot of other stores. I do drive to Winco about once a week when I take my daughter to art class. Otherwise it would be about a 30 minute drive each way. But it is worth the extra gas and time because it is significantly less on so many items compared to Safeway.

No other large grocery stores, other than Safeway, are located in the town I live in. So to go anywhere else doe use a significant amount of gas for us.

I didn't say that people that use coupons do not also buy vegetables. I was simply commenting on the extremely significant amount of savings off of the grocery cart in the video, which did not include any vegetbles or other fresh whole foods, as far as I could see.

Believe me, you don't have to convince me that YOU eat fresh vegetables.

I just don't think the lady in the video had any fresh vegetables included in her $4 for a week shopping trip.

Oh, by the way. I see you purchased 20 lbs of carrots. Do you make carrot juice ? Years ago I use to make fresh carrot juice. It had such a wonderful fresh taste. My friends made fun of me and my bf who use to drink fresh carrot juice :lol: but of course that didn't stop us. :001_smile: Now I'm wanting to make some fresh carrot juice but do not have a juicer.

I didn't say that people that use coupons do not also buy vegetables. I was simply commenting on the extremely significant amount of savings off of the grocery cart in the video, which did not include any vegetbles or other fresh whole foods, as far as I could see.

Very true, but even if you saved 50 a week on stuff you DO buy, that's two hundred a month to put toward something else. That's what I'm trying to encourage people to do. Because that 200 a month ends up being 2400 a year, and buying 2400 worth of stock (just say'n-or putting it to something else) is good stewardship. Great oaks from tiny acorns grow.

Oh, by the way. I see you purchased 20 lbs of carrots. Do you make carrot juice ? Years ago I use to make fresh carrot juice. It had such a wonderful fresh taste. My friends made fun of me and my bf who use to drink fresh carrot juice :lol: but of course that didn't stop us. :001_smile: Now I'm wanting to make some fresh carrot juice but do not have a juicer.

We actually used to, but no. We actually eat a LOT of carrots. I make hummus, and I use them in macaroni sauce. If I serve carrots as a side dish for dinner my family will eat 5 lbs easily. They'll go through 2-3 pounds just with hummus. When I start dinner and peel them, my 4 yo will want a whole one herself.

Carrots are my favorite veggie. *g* Guess which cake I love most? :D

Very true, but even if you saved 50 a week on stuff you DO buy, that's two hundred a month to put toward something else. That's what I'm trying to encourage people to do. Because that 200 a month ends up being 2400 a year, and buying 2400 worth of stock (just say'n-or putting it to something else) is good stewardship. Great oaks from tiny acorns grow.

I save a pretty good amount by going to Winco.

For example, they have new toothbrushes for 48 cents. Dishsoap 88 cents.The jasmine rice I like to purchase is usually about $5 a bag less at Winco than Safeway. Cheese is a few dollars less for the 2 lb size. Deli lunch meat - good quality type - is always a few dollars less per lb than Safeway and the list goes on and on.

But I have found that I am tempted to buy some items that I wouldn't usually buy if I spend a lot of time looking for coupons and they tend to be less healthy choices than I usually purchase.

However, I do use a few coupons. But I save more simply by shopping at Winco than I ever have on just coupons. But that may be due to the lack of store choices where I live.

Edited by Miss Sherry

We actually used to, but no. We actually eat a LOT of carrots. I make hummus, and I use them in macaroni sauce. If I serve carrots as a side dish for dinner my family will eat 5 lbs easily. They'll go through 2-3 pounds just with hummus. When I start dinner and peel them, my 4 yo will want a whole one herself.

Carrots are my favorite veggie. *g* Guess which cake I love most? :D

We eat a lot of carrots too. I like to steam them with broccoli and other vegetables. Also, we eat a lot of homemade soups that include carrots.

So you like carrot cake. Sounds good. :001_smile:

Yes, but she mentions getting two different types of seafood with the 7 coupons. So she gets, what in total, a 1 lb of perch and 1/4 lb of scallops for 6 people? Or 5 people, I'm guessing at least one must be a baby because she purchased baby food. I'll also wager she has 0 teenage boys.

We take our odds-and-ends of extra meat and fish to make chowders, stews, and chili. I buy the large packs of tilapia and catfish from Costco, and divide them up into meal sized portions to freeze (3 fish per meal). If I have 1-2 fish left, those get used in chowder where I can get by using less fish.

We use pureed baby food (prunes mostly) in breakfast cookies and oatmeal, even though we don't have any baby food eaters anymore.

Regardless of whether or not you use coupons, meal planning, loss-leader shopping, or food assistance, you have to use creativity to keep the budget under control. MacGyver those meals! :tongue_smilie:

I think if you have the luxury to be able to spend $200+ in one grocery shopping trip - then good for you whatever you spend it on.

But for others, that's the difference between working two jobs, having money for meds or utilities, or buying fresh fruit and veggies.

If you have the luxery of not having to spend time trying to save your family valuable funds, again - good for you.

But many people in this economy do not have the luxery to snub their noses over processed food and they spend many hours of sleepless nights trying to make there funds stretch. And for many others, doing what this woman is doing has kept them financially solid enough that they can sleep at night with a lot less worry than otherwise.

Not disagreeing with you, Martha, but I still think its an egregious state of industry to keep producing cheap food-like substances while keeping the price of the real foods in a less attractive range. There's something so subverted about that. Food isn't just business. It is people's health. Producing cheap crap is poisoning people. We didn't used to have the huge range of processed crap either. That's a post-WWII phenomenon, and the state of our general health shows it.

I would recommend checking out moneysavingmom dot com - she has a great tutorial called CVS 101 - you can probably google it too. My other favorite site is Southern Savers. Both are super helpful and tell you what's on sale every week, what coupons you need and where to find them.

Thanks! I just read it. I shop at CVS all the time, but never had a "plan of attack" before. I'll have to try that ...

Jenny

Thanks! I just read it. I shop at CVS all the time, but never had a "plan of attack" before. I'll have to try that ...

Jenny

This coming week is a great one for CVS. They're giving away practically the whole store in their sale that starts Thursday. Here's a list of stuff that's free after Extra Care Bucks (i.e. they give you a rebate for the full price of the item that you can use on anything in the store):

colgate sensitive toothpaste

eucerin lotion

herbal essence shampoo

listerine pocket packs

carmex lip balm

old spice or gillette deodorant

reese's singles

mars king size

phillips in ear headphones or universal remote

la looks styling gel

renpure hair care organic shampoo

I've been very slack about doing CVS the past couple of months (partially because I have about 20 things of free toothpaste and body wash in my cabinet upstairs already), but I'm definitely headed there for this.