Menu

Pretend you are me and you want to increase your reading level ...

Luanne

Let's say you read on about a fifth grade level (the best you can tell anyway). What would you do to improve this? Is there a particular curriculum you would buy or a plan you would follow?

You might want to learn some history and science while you are doing this too or maybe it would be better to leave those as separate subjects. What do you think? Being you and all.

Let's say you read on about a fifth grade level (the best you can tell anyway). What would you do to improve this? Is there a particular curriculum you would buy or a plan you would follow?

You might want to learn some history and science while you are doing this too or maybe it would be better to leave those as separate subjects. What do you think? Being you and all.

As an adult:

I would find a book with a topic that fascinates me. I would NOT choose one because I think I'm supposed to read it to be educated, say like Homer, but something that really would fire me up. I remember in the sixth grade reading Stoker's Dracula veeery sloowwly because of all the big words, as a teenager I was fascinated with the biographies of Helen Keller and Corrie Ten Boom. Later my passion was for theology, and now it's adventure, so I'd get a good book and a dictionary and I'd slowly make my way through the book.

If there is word that I had a problem pronouncing I'd use an online dictionary that has an audio opton.

When I taught myself Spanish, I did it with a dictionary and a copy of Puig's Kiss of the Spider Woman. In the beginning I understood almost nothing, but several months later I was understanding a whole lot. So I really think it can be done by being motivated by a good topic/story and having a dictionary on hand.

Luanne, you certainly do not *write* on a 5th grade level.

What is the disconnect? I'm not clear on that. Your cadence and your pacing and your choice of vocabulary in your posts is that of a very verbally strong person. And yet you feel your reading is on an elementary level?

Are you sure? And can you be more specific? Can you decode on a higher level? Is it that your comprehension is lacking? Is there an inability to make connections, to understand deeper meanings in books where there is more than simply a straightforward story?

Luanne, you certainly do not *write* on a 5th grade level.

What is the disconnect? I'm not clear on that. Your cadence and your pacing and your choice of vocabulary in your posts is that of a very verbally strong person. And yet you feel your reading is on an elementary level?

Are you sure? And can you be more specific? Can you decode on a higher level? Is it that your comprehension is lacking? Is there an inability to make connections, to understand deeper meanings in books where there is more than simply a straightforward story?

I am only guessing at my actual reading level. I don't know how I can find out where it actually is. I do know that some books that are supposed to be 6th grade or higher take a lot for me to understand (difficult vocabulary and difficulty following what is going on in the story sometimes). It very well could be a comprehension thing. I find myself having to look up a lot of words or if I don't then I don't know what I just read.

I am only guessing at my actual reading level. I don't know how I can find out where it actually is. I do know that some books that are supposed to be 6th grade or higher take a lot for me to understand (difficult vocabulary and difficulty following what is going on in the story sometimes). It very well could be a comprehension thing. I find myself having to look up a lot of words or if I don't then I don't know what I just read.

You are a high school grad, correct? Have you had any college? How hard did you find your last formal lit class?

I try and read ahead of the kids. I am on a 2 week holiday and I am trying to read the books they will be reading next term- the books, like Augustus Caesar's World, Story of the Romans, and Walcott's Jo's Boys, are all of a level to suit one or both of my kids, and I find it is a challenge to stay awake when reading them if i try to read them at night, so i am reading them during the day, a few pages each at a time.

I have never been someone who looks up words...by reading, I mostly pick up the context and work it out. If I had to stop and pick up a dictionary very often, I would give up! (I don't expect it of my kids either, which may be bad habit, but they both have a good vocabulary).

Also, by reading their books, and reading aloud to them, over the years, I am pretty sure my reading ability has grown. A lot of children's classic books have fairly difficult language. Reading Treasure Island out loud was a challenge! Reading Lord of the Rings to them was great fun. I would never have ploughed my way through that book if it weren't for reading it to my kids- it's not a light read!

I would never follow a curriculum or a plan or anything. I couldn't even follow The Well Educated Mind. My reading level is growing with my kids', and the occasional adults classic I read....when I am drawn to a particular book.

Are you struggling with particular books? I am on some CM lists, and people there sometimes complain the language of the AO year 1 and 2 books are difficult for them! But after a few chapters, they kind of click into the language and its ok.

If I was to design a program for myself, I would read all the children's classics....Swiss Family Robinson, Robinson Crusoe, Little Women,Anne of Green Gables, lots more like that. I feel like I am filling in gaps in my education whenever I read one of those books I never got to as a child. Then, slowly work up from there. I just do it alongside my kids, who are of similar age, and I get to grow up with them!

hth

Peela

I would suggest first and foremost...pick a topic or book that excites you. I think enthusiasm helps in even the most difficult of accomplishments. Take your time and keep a dictionary close at hand for help. I think that the more you read, the better of a reader you become. But, I find that with one of my boys, he tries to "speed read" to see how quickly he can finish a book sometimes. Just remember to slow down and enjoy the journey of the story. Sometimes, when I have a book that I am really loving, I may only read a chapter a day(if that!) Think about what you read and maybe even go back over it. Good luck on your journey!

You stop thinking and start reading, have a dictionary handy if you need it. My take on this is that you're thinking too much and putting more pressure on yourself than is necessary by applying labels to yourself. Start reading the 4th-6th level books in any subject of your choosing and just go from there. Reading is the best way to accomplish your goals, and it doesn't have to be tedious or boring. Relax a little, you are not ill-equipped just a little bit overwhelmed with all the infinite possibilities. One day at a time...you have to enjoy this journey too!

Luanne, it could be a lack of 'background information', not an actual reading level problem.

I took an AP Literature class in high-school. I knew I had a decent reading level. I loved books. I wanted the AP credit.

It was awful. I found myself stuck all the time. Stuff would go on in the books that was completely over my head.

My teacher only ever bothered to expound upon the deeper meanings being presented in one book: one she adored and couldn't stop herself from talking about. Every other book (besides Hamlet, for some reason) was a hard trek through the woods for me. The teacher expect I would 'just know' these things.

And I wasn't alone. I had a friend who had never read the Bible, never heard anything about what was in it, didn't even know a lot of the sayings often taken from it in literature. Guess what she always got stuck on? Biblical references. She didn't have a clue.

I distinctly remember reading a poem, early on in the class, and thinking a certain thing had happened in the poem. I got to class the next day and was baffled by the turn the teacher's discussion was taking. Thankfully, about five other students were too. They were more vocal and finally piped up. All six of us were shocked to learn what was really occuring in the poem. We had no connection with the euphemisms the poet was using. She explained them, we all were shocked, and she was shocked that we were shocked (but I think she realized we weren't slackers and had actually read the poem).

So all of those examples to say that perhaps it isn't the reading level of the material, but the background information required of the reader in order to connect with the author.

For the vocabulary difficulties, how about studying Vocabulary from Classical Roots, as outlined in WTM? I started this awhile ago (have yet to continue) and found it to be VERY helpful in improving my understanding of words in my reading.

Also, nothing wrong with keeping that dictionary handy! :) Seriously, the vocab program was very helpful to me.

Here's a link to a site that explains how to find out a book's reading level using Microsoft Word.

http://talibiddeenjr.wordpress.com/2008/02/26/checking-the-reading-level-of-a-text-in-microsoft-word/

I'd check a few of the books you've read and enjoyed. You might be pleasantly surprised by the results. As for improving your reading level, the best way is by reading a lot.

I try and read ahead of the kids. I am on a 2 week holiday and I am trying to read the books they will be reading next term- the books, like Augustus Caesar's World, Story of the Romans, and Walcott's Jo's Boys, are all of a level to suit one or both of my kids, and I find it is a challenge to stay awake when reading them if i try to read them at night, so i am reading them during the day, a few pages each at a time.

I have never been someone who looks up words...by reading, I mostly pick up the context and work it out. If I had to stop and pick up a dictionary very often, I would give up! (I don't expect it of my kids either, which may be bad habit, but they both have a good vocabulary).

Also, by reading their books, and reading aloud to them, over the years, I am pretty sure my reading ability has grown. A lot of children's classic books have fairly difficult language. Reading Treasure Island out loud was a challenge! Reading Lord of the Rings to them was great fun. I would never have ploughed my way through that book if it weren't for reading it to my kids- it's not a light read!

I would never follow a curriculum or a plan or anything. I couldn't even follow The Well Educated Mind. My reading level is growing with my kids', and the occasional adults classic I read....when I am drawn to a particular book.

Are you struggling with particular books? I am on some CM lists, and people there sometimes complain the language of the AO year 1 and 2 books are difficult for them! But after a few chapters, they kind of click into the language and its ok.

If I was to design a program for myself, I would read all the children's classics....Swiss Family Robinson, Robinson Crusoe, Little Women,Anne of Green Gables, lots more like that. I feel like I am filling in gaps in my education whenever I read one of those books I never got to as a child. Then, slowly work up from there. I just do it alongside my kids, who are of similar age, and I get to grow up with them!

hth

Peela

This is what I do as well. I am just starting to read some of the kids 5th grade books and I am learning a lot. English is (only) my second language! If I can do it, Luanne, you can too! :)

Set aside time to read 3 to 4 times a week. Start with studying vocabulary for 10-15 minutes, then start reading for 15-20 minutes. The SAT Vocabulary for Dummies is very good if you can find it. I used it with a struggling reader teenager one summer to help her to get ready for SATs in the fall.

This same teenager had a visual processing issue. We helped her improve her reading by getting books on tape at the library and we bought the actual book. We followed along with the tape. It helped to read through the book the first time with the tape, then she would read the book a second time afterwards. The first read through with the voice introduced difficult words and she saw words she knew in her listening vocabulary that she didn't know in her visual reading vocabulary. We would do it in sections and as whole books depending on what her school assignment was.

Jill

Another issue to keep in mind is font size of the print. I buy a lot of books at thrift stores and I pass on the ones with tiny, tiny fonts.

I just finished two classics printed by Aladdin Classics. Their font size is larger and there is more space between the lines. It was easier for me to "pay attention" while reading.

I also write in my books. My ds underlines words that he doesn't understand while reading. I do that as well and make notes in the margins.

I also wouldn't hesitate to get some study guides for the books you choose. Here's a site for some free ones....

http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/

I find myself having to look up a lot of words or if I don't then I don't know what I just read.

Must you do this when you're reading Harry Potter, or when you're reading Huck Finn? All good readers who care about learning and retaining the subject matter stop frequently to think about phrasing or words, re-read a sentence or look something up. I always read with two tabs on my browser (on my laptop) open to Wikipedia and a dictionary. I also often rephrase something in my own words and say it aloud. All readers do this; it's how one studies a book.

However, when I'm reading for fun, I don't bother. I don't need to remember the plot of the novel in six months. If I find myself bogged down, I'll either ditch the book or get out the dictionary again. If it's for fun, though, I don't want it to become a study.

You've received a lot of good advice on this subject in the past on this forum. Perhaps you could search through old posts.

that is decoding and such, may I suggest that in addition to any reading you *are* doing, that you check out some books on tape? There are a lot of good books that would appeal to an adult. Listening is more direct than reading. Sometimes we can pick things up more easily through a read-aloud because the whole time we can focus on the story's meaning, not on reading the words. Reading aloud is the number one way we increase our children's ability to read on a higher level--I don't see why it wouldn't work for an adult as well...

Just a thought,

I would get a couple of resources:

A King James Bible

An NIV Bible

A copy of The Lutheran Hymnal (published in 1941--available very cheaply on Ebay or from Northwestern or Concordia publishing houses new)

Vocabulary Vine

Greek Myths

Roman Myths

Then every day I would spend about 10 minutes on Vocabulary Vine. This teaches Greek and Latin roots, with English word examples. You will be amazed at how many words you can figure how meanings for once you have worked through this.

Each week I would find the normal Bible readings for that Sunday--they are in the front part of the hymnal. I would read those in King James and in NIV, both, every day for a week. I would also find one hymn by an American or English composer and just read it over each day. (I suggest those composers because those are the hymns that are most commonly referred to in other books. Personally I prefer German hymns, but they don't meet the criterion here.) This will take about 15 minutes each time. What this will do is familiarize you with the most commonly used sections of the Bible, and you will find that they are referred to constantly in other literature--usually without quotes or anything, because most English literature assumes that everyone pretty much knows the Bible.

Once you finish Vocabulary Vine, start reading the Greek and Roman myths in that time slot. Those are referred to a lot in English literature as well.

These will give you much more background for literature and also will help a bit with science reading (especially the roots).

I agree with others that you should find 5th grade level science texts to start with. I always do that--that way I can get an overview of an area before studying it in depth. Once I have that framework in my head, it is easier to know where to add in detail from harder books. It is very difficult to start fresh with sciences. They each have their own nomenclature. If you understand the concepts first and then add the language, it is a lot easier to keep them straight. I would add that as you are learning things in order to teach them, you will probably remember them better. That is the best way to learn properly.

But, to reprise my first sentence, I'll bet that you are a much more learned person that you think!

A King James Bible

An NIV Bible

A copy of The Lutheran Hymnal (published in 1941--available very cheaply on Ebay or from Northwestern or Concordia publishing houses new)

Vocabulary Vine

Greek Myths

Roman Myths

I'd suggest just a Bible and the Lang coloured Fairy Books (Blue Fairy Book, etc.), of which there are 12 volumes. A good friend of mine grew up with only these books in her household and is one of the most literate people I know.

I'd just plain read. A lot. Once you have a grounding in phonics, you get better by just plain reading--things that are hard, things that are easy, things in between. Make sure to read things at a level at least two grade levels above your reading ability at least some of the time.

I started reading for fun when right before 3rd grade. I might have had a 4th grade reading level at that point. By the end of the school year, I was reading on a 12th grade reading level. Practice. That's all there was to it.

All the Jane Austens,

Gone with the Wind

Jane Eyre

Anne of Green Gables,

About the history, find a good historical drama to give you some semblance of a visual feel for the era, then start reading the history. There are some good movies about Queen Elizabeth, starring Cate Blanchett. You could start by watching those, then start reading some good biographies about her. It will make it a lot easier.

Start with the periods of history that have a lot of juicy drama in it. The Roman Empire, especially the time of Julius Caesar and Caesar Augustus, are stranger than fiction.

I started with easy books and a dictionary and looked up every single word I didn't know the meaning of. I began with Tin Tin comic books and I'm now reading at about Agatha Christie mystery level. I don't see why it wouldn't work in English as well. If you aren't good at reading, though, I think you need to pick a book you really LIKE because stopping to look things up in the dictionary is slow. If you like mystery stories, Michael Innes writes ones that contain lots of good vocab. They are at a higher level than Agatha Christie, for instance. Just pick something that moves fast enough that you won't get bored and not do it.

-Nan

For the vocabulary difficulties, how about studying Vocabulary from Classical Roots, as outlined in WTM? I started this awhile ago (have yet to continue) and found it to be VERY helpful in improving my understanding of words in my reading.

Also, nothing wrong with keeping that dictionary handy! :) Seriously, the vocab program was very helpful to me.

from Vocabulary from Classical Roots. That's a good suggestion. Thank you!

A King James Bible

An NIV Bible

Vocabulary Vine

Greek Myths

Roman Myths

Then every day I would spend about 10 minutes on Vocabulary Vine. This teaches Greek and Latin roots, with English word examples. You will be amazed at how many words you can figure how meanings for once you have worked through this.

Once you finish Vocabulary Vine, start reading the Greek and Roman myths in that time slot. Those are referred to a lot in English literature as well.

These will give you much more background for literature and also will help a bit with science reading (especially the roots).

I agree with others that you should find 5th grade level science texts to start with. I always do that--that way I can get an overview of an area before studying it in depth. Once I have that framework in my head, it is easier to know where to add in detail from harder books. It is very difficult to start fresh with sciences. They each have their own nomenclature. If you understand the concepts first and then add the language, it is a lot easier to keep them straight. I would add that as you are learning things in order to teach them, you will probably remember them better. That is the best way to learn properly.

But, to reprise my first sentence, I'll bet that you are a much more learned person that you think!

Book of Greek Myths. I haven't read it yet. I also have Famous Men of Rome. Would these be good to use? Also, where is a good place to find 5th grade level science texts?

Thanks.

Also, where is a good place to find 5th grade level science texts?

Thanks.

I'm happily reading and outlining my way through the Reader's Digest "How.....Works" series - nature, the earth, things, science, body, the universe. I found these mostly on the used market at amazon.com since a lot of them are out of print. They are recommended in WTM for logic stage science - right about my level right now! :) They are really enjoyable to read, and are giving me a great overview of the areas of science!! Something I never got in school.....I, too, am on the same journey as you with self education. It's lots of fun.

You are a high school grad, correct? Have you had any college? How hard did you find your last formal lit class?

I am a high school grad... class of 1983. I went to public school where I honestly didn't feel like I learned much. I took the minimal amount of classes required like math, history, science ... and most of my electives were either home ed type classes or physical education. I don't remember if I even had a formal lit class.

Book of Greek Myths. I haven't read it yet. I also have Famous Men of Rome. Would these be good to use? Also, where is a good place to find 5th grade level science texts?

Thanks.

Yes, I think that that Greek Myth book would be a great one. I don't have FMOR, but I think that it covers famous citizens rather than the mythology. I think that you would be better served by getting a book of Roman myths that talks about the well known stories of all the gods and goddesses--those are referred to throughout English literature.

I agree that the How...Works books are good intros at about a 5th grade level.

Another great option might be Exploratopeia--it's almost like a general science class for 4-5th graders. It's pretty new; I think that Rainbow has it.

I also really like Real Science 4 Kids--Level I would be just right. That series is pricey, but it would be worth it if you were going to use it with your children down the line. It only covers physics, chemistry, and biology; but those are really the 'hard' sciences, and so they are ones that you usually don't pick up elsewhere. Good books to put with those are the Exploring books by Tiner. "Exploring the World of Chemistry" really reinforces RS4K chem beautifully. The same with "Exploring the World of Physics". I'm not sure what to recommend to complement the biology one. The Tiner offerings don't seem quite as strong for that subject.

Really, though, I'll bet you know more than you think you do!

Google for reading level assessment. Here is one:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/articles/060899.htm