Menu

Man, I wish I had medical insurance!

My kids get Medicaid but my husband and I do not qualify for it, so we are uninsured.

That means I wait until I'm absolutely dying to go to a doctor, and then I just pay for it out of pocket.

Well, yesterday some issues I've been having (along with a family history) led me to go to my doctor's office and pay for an exam and bloodwork to have my thyroid levels checked, which cost me nearly $100.00.

They just called me and said the levels came back "a little low" and they want to retest me in a month- AND they want me to go have an ultrasound of my throat in the meanwhile.

I just called and left a voicemail for the supervisor of billing and accounting at my local hospital to ask how much this is going to cost me and whether they have any sort of program that will help with someone who is uninsured.

My husband is self-employed in a very small business (as in it's just him and one other guy), and I'm home with the kids. We can't afford to get health insurance for our family/ourselves. I'm grateful the kids at least can get Medicaid even if I can't. But times like this, it's really frustrating that I can't afford medical insurance for myself!

I hope the cost of the ultrasound isn't ridiculous.

I hope if I end up needing some sort of thyroid medication, that the cost of that isn't ridiculous.

Sigh. Thanks for letting me vent (and keep your fingers crossed for me on both the financial and medical aspects of all of this)!

Fingers crossed and :grouphug::grouphug:

My parents were small business owners and never got health insurance for themselves either. A poor family health history made completely unaffordable. It was so hard to watch them when they were ill and even harder as they got older (as in 40's) and developed high blood pressure. My mom knew her health wasn't good, but wouldn't go to the doctor until the day she absolutely had to..she had a heart attack. She survived, but then I would be even more stressed that it would happen again since she couldn't always pay for the medication.

Sorry, kind of got off topic, I hope all turns out well with you!!

:grouphug:. I don't know how to advise or help you. You are a classic example of why I fully supported the health care bill - it's not perfect, but hard-working people should not have to stress and delay going to the doctor because of the expense.

I hope you find a good solution to your current thyroid problem.

My meds are just a couple dollars though.

:grouphug:

ETA: My thyroid med isn't run through insurance; it's on one of those $10 or $4/month generics that many pharmacies have now.

That's good to know! So it seems like the medication won't kill me if I need it. Hopefully the biggest thing will be the ultrasound then, and hopefully THAT won't cost as much as I'm afraid it will lol.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

:grouphug:. I don't know how to advise or help you. You are a classic example of why I fully supported the health care bill - it's not perfect, but hard-working people should not have to stress and delay going to the doctor because of the expense.

I hope you find a good solution to your current thyroid problem.

:iagree::grouphug:

The provisions of healthcare reform are being phased in over the next 4 years from what I understand. Eventually it will make it easier for everyone to afford healthcare by providing subsidies for those who qualify and providing for state health insurance market places from what I understand.

As far as health insurance for now, there may be a bare bones blue cross policy that might be affordable. Our local blue cross came out with several new products in the past several years that were very affordable compared to traditional blue cross/blue shield.

That's good to know! So it seems like the medication won't kill me if I need it. Hopefully the biggest thing will be the ultrasound then, and hopefully THAT won't cost as much as I'm afraid it will lol.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Did the doctor palpate any lumps on your neck? Is this why he is doing the ultrasound? You could ask if it is critical to have done due to your financial circumstances since sometimes they order things that are not necessary in my experience.

A friend can't afford to go, either, for a problem with her foot. I hope it doesn't get worse. She and her husband had really hoped the public option would have passed, as they just can't afford the premiums of private insurance.

Another friend can't afford to go, either, for medical or dental care, yet supports the party that doesn't seem to be interested in helping her.

We used to live in France, and one of the best things about that country is their health care system. We stopped in August for a week, and had ds's blood tested, and I paid a whopping $8 for the test. The doctor didn't even charge me for writing up the order!

Did the doctor palpate any lumps on your neck? Is this why he is doing the ultrasound? You could ask if it is critical to have done due to your financial circumstances since sometimes they order things that are not necessary in my experience.

I second this. Lots of docs order tests to cover themselves for liability issues. If it isn't really neccessary, I'd pass for now. But then again, I'm pretty conservative about health issues. I'll probably already be dead by the time I go to a doctor.

I think you got off cheap, too! But "Yay" for that!

I'd ask what they are hoping the results of the u/s will show, and what further treatment they would be looking to do based on that (+/- results). If the knowledge won't necessarily result in a direct pathway to treatment, then I'd pass.

They said it feels "enlarged" (which I've been told since my teens). At first, they wanted to do it right up front, but when I mentioned my circumstances, they said "Well, then we will wait until the blood test results come back, and if they are normal, we won't worry about it, but if they are abnormal, you're going to have to have the ultrasound."

I don't know what "a little low" means to them exactly but I guess they consider it "abnormal" enough to want me to get the ultrasound!

They said it feels "enlarged" (which I've been told since my teens). At first, they wanted to do it right up front, but when I mentioned my circumstances, they said "Well, then we will wait until the blood test results come back, and if they are normal, we won't worry about it, but if they are abnormal, you're going to have to have the ultrasound."

I don't know what "a little low" means to them exactly but I guess they consider it "abnormal" enough to want me to get the ultrasound!

Why? I didn't have an ultrasound when I was diagnosed. I did have the radioactive pill that I had to swallow though.

Ask about how many tests are going to be needed. The radiation test measured the thyroid and its function. An ultrasound would only measure size and possibly see if there are any goiters.

Why? I didn't have an ultrasound when I was diagnosed. I did have the radioactive pill that I had to swallow though.

Ask about how many tests are going to be needed. The radiation test measured the thyroid and its function. An ultrasound would only measure size and possibly see if there are any goiters.

I think that's what they want to rule out (well hopefully out! lol), since they said it felt enlarged.

My kids get Medicaid but my husband and I do not qualify for it, so we are uninsured. That means I wait until I'm absolutely dying to go to a doctor, and then I just pay for it out of pocket.

My husband is self-employed in a very small business (as in it's just him and one other guy), and I'm home with the kids. We can't afford to get health insurance for our family/ourselves. I'm grateful the kids at least can get Medicaid even if I can't. But times like this, it's really frustrating that I can't afford medical insurance for myself!

We are in this exact same situation--kids get Medicaid while dh & I are uninsured, and dh is self-employed--except that in dh's business, it's just him and two ladies, each of whom works part-time.

We used to live in France, and one of the best things about that country is their health care system. We stopped in August for a week, and had ds's blood tested, and I paid a whopping $8 for the test. The doctor didn't even charge me for writing up the order!

France has one of the best healthcare systems in the world. Unfortunately, ours won't be anything like it. Why they didn't model ours after a system that actually worked I have no idea.

A friend can't afford to go, either, for a problem with her foot. I hope it doesn't get worse. She and her husband had really hoped the public option would have passed, as they just can't afford the premiums of private insurance.

Another friend can't afford to go, either, for medical or dental care, yet supports the party that doesn't seem to be interested in helping her.

I hear this a lot from French immigrants in our area. They like our health care here (once they're eligible to be on it), but they think the OOP for non-residents is high. As I understand it, the French have the administration part of their system down to a science, which greatly reduces the costs to OOP patients.

We are self-employed with insurance, but we pay everything up to $5,000 anyway. So, we would pay out of pocket the expense as well. Just because you have health insurance doesn't mean the doctor visits and tests are cheap. I just paid $560 for an MRI of my foot, and we pay $500 a month in premiums. Oh, and we don't have a prescription plan.

You can ask for a discount since most health insurance plans reduce to an allowable charge.

I do know that hospitals typically charge more for ultrasounds, so I would suggest shopping around.

Oh, and right before the health care bill, our premium increased $100.

We are self employed as well. Just my DH. But the state I am in, requires health inurance. So it is available to all. My kids get Medicaid, and we get insurance through the state(not Medicaid, but a step above because of our income) and the premiums are based on our income. We pay $58.00 a month for a family of 4. And we are covered 100% for the kids, and for us we only have co-pays. $10.00.

Health care reform in that sense is good, and I am glad I have health insurance. BUT, because of this and the requirement, the illegals who come here, go to all the free clinics, so if your insurance lapses, you have to go to those clinics.(These clinics take what is called the uncompensated pool) And guess what? It is a FIVE month wait to see a Dr. there!!!

So, .............. Off to the ER you go.

And let me say one more thing. If you want to file a complaint against the insurance company?? Good luck. I spent literally, 4 hours and 15 transferred calls to get in touch with someone who oversees the state health insurance. And then, they STILL would not help.

So while I am happy I have insurance, albeit "socialized" medicine here in my state, it is a HUGE mess. And when the government provides something, there is always a catch. I found that out this week.

I do know that hospitals typically charge more for ultrasounds, so I would suggest shopping around.

Do you mean there is someplace else I could go that is NOT a hospital...?

As an aside, the supervisor I left a message for never called me back yesterday, so I guess in an hour or two I will try calling the hospital again. I'm not sure if there's anyplace else I can call unless I'm going to start looking into traveling much further, but depending on what he tells me, I might end up branching out some to see if I can find a 'better deal.'

That stinks. Sad thing is even WITH insurance it isn't affordable.

Yep. I cancelled my podiatrist appt. yesterday because I don't have the $50 to pay for it right now. Last year the dermatologist prescribed some medicine for me that would have been nearly $250, and that's with insurance. Turns out I have a deductible for medications - who knew?

Dh and I have both been sick/had issues for the last couple months. I think we've spent $500 on copays at least since August. Having health insurance is just the first step - then it's affording your portion while still paying skyrocketing premiums. Doesn't that make you feel better? :D

I'm supposed to have periodic ultrasounds because my goiter is always enlarged, yet all my blood levels always come back within even the conservative opinion of "normal" (though on the low end of the conservative norm). They want to keep tabs to make sure no tumors are forming.

I wish I could remember how much the u/s ran, but I've forgotten the password for my insurance log in. :001_huh:

If you do shop around, be sure to ask each place about payment plans! There have been times that I've found it more beneficial to pay $25/mo for 4 extra months than give $100 less in one lump payment, taking a big chunk out of the month's budget!

P.S. It's so much stranger than having a pregnancy ultrasound, lol. It's boring to stare at the ceiling vs. watching baby images!

Having insurance is not all that it is cracked up to be. We have a $3500 deductible. I would have had to pay for the entire $100 visit you had with my with insurance.

Insurance is good for catastrophes, but not for regular sick care.

Kinda curious why you think having insurance would have helped with a $100 doc visit?

Having insurance is not all that it is cracked up to be. We have a $3500 deductible. I would have had to pay for the entire $100 visit you had with my with insurance.

Kinda curious why you think having insurance would have helped with a $100 doc visit?

I guess because when I've had insurance in the past through jobs I've had, everything was covered with me only having to pay small co-pays. So I didn't think/wasn't aware that even if I had insurance now, it might be a type of plan that would require me to pay so much out of my own pocket. But by several of these responses, I see that it probably wouldn't have done me any favors anyway, which is unfortunate (for me, and for you guys, too!)

ETA: Also I was thinking of insurance being useful more for the ultrasound than for the office visit, but I see that even that might not be the case once deductibles come into play!

Edited by NanceXToo

I hope that one of your local hospitals has a program that can help you. That's the situation we're in--youngest is covered by the state. The rest of us (18 and older) are covered by a local hospital's program. It doesn't cost us anything and has low co-pays for dr visits and such. There's a limited Rx list that's available for $5--otherwise you have to go to a regular pharmacy and pay full price. BUT, we have health care and I'm grateful for it.

You should be able to find an "imaging" center (or something like that) that does ultrasounds and xrays. I'd check their prices before going to the hospital for your test (unless the hospital offers you a **great** deal).

Yes but insurance can protect you from bankruptcy and losing it all as long as it is not lousy insurance. Also, being without insurance can be the difference between life and death:( My mother was told while receiving chemo and radiation that if she could not pay any outstanding bills, then no treatment.

You should be able to find an "imaging" center (or something like that) that does ultrasounds and xrays. I'd check their prices before going to the hospital for your test (unless the hospital offers you a **great** deal).

Thanks for the advice! I just looked up "imaging center" in my area and found a few possibilities.

One place transferred me to their outside billing office and I had to leave a voicemail.

One place got me a live person who said she would have to look into it and will have somebody call me back. (After a conversation that went like this: "Hello? Oh, let me transfer you to billing." "Hello, this is billing..oh, let me transfer you to x-ray." "Hello, this is x-ray...oh, let me transfer you to billing...oh, billing told you to talk to us, you say? Hold on let me find a supervisor....hello? Can I have your name and number? We have to look into it and call you back.")

One said they were just an outside billing office for doctors who READ the results (which costs $100.00, by the way), but they do the readings for the hospital, and aren't sure what the hospital charges to actually DO the ultrasound.

And I called the hospital again and left a voicemail for somebody else since the first guy didn't call me back.

So basically I'm still just waiting. Everybody wants to transfer me to someone else or give me someone's voicemail and no-one seems to have a clue how much an ultrasound will cost. I guess they aren't used to potential patients/clients calling them up personally, rather than dealing with insurance companies! Apparently, I'm throwing a lot of people for a loop :lol:

Yes but insurance can protect you from bankruptcy and losing it all as long as it is not lousy insurance. Also, being without insurance can be the difference between life and death:( My mother was told while receiving chemo and radiation that if she could not pay any outstanding bills, then no treatment.

I agree!

That is why I stated it was good for catastrophes. I consider having to have chemo a big catastrophe!

Insurance doesn't provide health care anymore(IMHO), it only provides catastrophe care.

I used to have a good plan where I payed a $10 visit to see the doc, but that was in the 90's. Insurance premiums have go up so much that I can't afford anything but catastrophe care! How I long for the $10 copay days.:nopity:

Yes, my MRI was done at a diagnostic center which also does x-rays and ultrasounds. Do you have one in your area? I would try calling a few places.

Do you mean there is someplace else I could go that is NOT a hospital...?

As an aside, the supervisor I left a message for never called me back yesterday, so I guess in an hour or two I will try calling the hospital again. I'm not sure if there's anyplace else I can call unless I'm going to start looking into traveling much further, but depending on what he tells me, I might end up branching out some to see if I can find a 'better deal.'

Well, I heard back from the hospital. She said it costs $324.75 for the ultrasound, plus whatever the cost is for the outside radiology doctors to read the x-ray (which I found out is $100.00), so we're talking $424.75.

She said I could do a payment plan.

Or I could call back on Monday when the person who handles 'charity care and discounts' for uninsured people is in. She THINKS, but is not sure, that that person can offer me either 20 or 25 percent off a bill over $250.00, but she also thinks that's only if it can be paid off sooner than a payment plan would be, or some such. But she wasn't very clear on the details. So I will call that person back on Monday and find out. She also suggested I call those radiologists back afterward and let them know "the hospital gave me such and such a discount for not having insurance, can you do the same" to see if they would read the ultrasound results for less than $100.00.

So yeah I will call her Monday, but in the meanwhile, I will see if either of the other two places I called this morning get back to me at some point today and if they give me a better price.

Right. That's because companies pay extremely high fees for employee insurance. We are a corporation, so our insurance is paid out of the business account now. We looked into a group corporate plan before the law was changed, and it made our premiums go from $400 a month to $800 a month. It is quite shocking how much employers pay for insurance. Employer plans have to allow for everything including a pregnancy rider. We've waived this rider, but employers have to offer it to everyone. A birth alone can be billed at near $10,000 to the insurance company.

I guess because when I've had insurance in the past through jobs I've had, everything was covered with me only having to pay small co-pays. So I didn't think/wasn't aware that even if I had insurance now, it might be a type of plan that would require me to pay so much out of my own pocket. But by several of these responses, I see that it probably wouldn't have done me any favors anyway, which is unfortunate (for me, and for you guys, too!)

We used a payment plan when I had my cardiac ablation which cost $4,500. Hey, we met our deductible that year! LOL Of course, we only had about $200 worth of bills after that, though.

Then, when Ben jumped out of a tree platform and landed on his head, his two different emergency room visists and CT-scan ran $2,000. We paid that in monthly installments as well.

I've found hospitals to be very good about payment plans.

Well, I heard back from the hospital. She said it costs $324.75 for the ultrasound, plus whatever the cost is for the outside radiology doctors to read the x-ray (which I found out is $100.00), so we're talking $424.75.

Or I could call back on Monday when the person who handles 'charity care and discounts' for uninsured people is in. She THINKS, but is not sure, that that person can offer me either 20 or 25 percent off a bill over $250.00, but she also thinks that's only if it can be paid off sooner than a payment plan would be, or some such. But she wasn't very clear on the details. So I will call that person back on Monday and find out. She also suggested I call those radiologists back afterward and let them know "the hospital gave me such and such a discount for not having insurance, can you do the same" to see if they would read the ultrasound results for less than $100.00.

So yeah I will call her Monday, but in the meanwhile, I will see if either of the other two places I called this morning get back to me at some point today and if they give me a better price.

My dh is self-employed and we are uninsured as well. I hate going to the doctor. We've had one good family physician that treated with common sense and never ran tests where the course of tx would be the same without the test.

We question every expense. Most of our experience has been the medical industry isn't used to people asking how much something will cost up front. (which is a whole other issue, my dh would never get work like that. People won't hire him without knowing how much money it's going to cost.....topic for another time)

Good luck and be persistent in your calls.

Yes, often if the hospital grants a discount, the docs will too.

Think about how much you are paying in another way....

The doc appointment and labs cost you $100. If you had insurance, might yu be paying $20 office visit copay, plus towards your deductible on the labs, plus $100 monthly insurance premium? You saved yourself some money.

Also with the U/S, you can figure, $100 monthly premium, plus amount towards your deductible (maybe $500), means you're not really out much, either, comparitively.

this is just horrifying to me. :(

this is health care ~ not getting your house painted. the idea of having to shop around and ask for discounts & payment plans.....that's just not right.

[and then of course there's the whole "lose everything you own if you get sick" thing.]

This makes me wonder why we struggle so hard to have insurance. We pay over $350 a month for insurance. Then we have a $250 deductable per person. Then we have 80/20 coverage plus a $10 co pay for each visit. Because we have insurance they charge us as much as they can. That means the first time I am seen for just about anything I will meet mt deductable and pay my $10 copay plus pay my 20%. But if I didn't have insurance I could save that $350 a month, be put on a payment plan and get a discount for not having insurance. My dd is almost 3 and I am still paying for her delivery and that is after the insurance paid.

We are really thinking of dropping the insurance through my husbands work and see if we make out better without it. We don't go to the doctor unless we are almost dead now anyway. We have no dental or vision now either. We really need a new roof and we just can't afford it, but if we had that $350 each month on dh check we could get the roof. So our question will truely be insurance or a roof over our head, if it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

Edited by Sukale

France has one of the best healthcare systems in the world. Unfortunately, ours won't be anything like it. Why they didn't model ours after a system that actually worked I have no idea.

My understanding is that the health care industry in America wouldn't allow it, because they would lose a lot of money. So Obama settled for half a loaf, or a quarter of a loaf, or something like that, just to get the ball rolling on health care. Maybe in 20 years or so, single payer won't seem so scary to Americans.

I hear this a lot from French immigrants in our area. They like our health care here (once they're eligible to be on it), but they think the OOP for non-residents is high. As I understand it, the French have the administration part of their system down to a science, which greatly reduces the costs to OOP patients.

It is a single payer system, so it's just cheaper overall. Administrators, doctors, everybody involved makes much less money than in America (still a decent living, though, like $100k a year for generalists). The medical card that everyone carries around is read by a meter in the doctor's office, and she can immediately tell the patient's medical history, which meds he may be on, who has seen him, etc. Efficiency!

When I call my doctor in France, I get her on the phone, not a receptionist. When I pay, I pay her. If I would need a shot, she would give it; no nurse is involved. Her office is one room off her apartment, with a small outside waiting room and one bathroom, that she may clean herself (she may have a cleaning lady come in; I'll ask next time I see her). Can you imagine an American doctor even considering cleaning his patients' bathroom?

Health care doesn't need to cost what it does in America, but it will until people demand differently. And to do that they have to look beyond the fear fed to them by politicians, the media, and mainly, the health care industry, and actually educate themselves about the possibities for reducing costs.

(And did I mention that on Fridays, my doctor makes house calls?)

This makes me wonder why we struggle so hard to have insurance. We pay over $350 a month for insurance. Then we have a $250 deductable per person. Then we have 80/20 coverage plus a $10 co pay for each visit. Because we have insurance they charge us as much as they can. That means the first time I am seen for just about anything I will meet mt deductable and pay my $10 copay plus pay my 20%. But if I didn't have insurance I could save that $350 a month, be put on a payment plan and get a discount for not having insurance. My dd is almost 3 and I am still paying for her delivery and that is after the insurance paid.

We are really thinking of dropping the insurance through my husbands work and see if we make out better without it. We don't go to the doctor unless we are almost dead now anyway. We have no dental or vision now either. We really need a new roof and we just can't afford it, but if we had that $350 each month on dh check we could get the roof. So our question will truely be insurance or a roof over our head, if it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

We have been struggling to pay for the insurance through dh's work because our income is so low. Now, the premiums are going up dramatically and we just can't do it anymore. I asked our regular doctors how much a visit would cost and figured out we are better off *without* insurance (because with it we couldn't afford to go to the doctor after paying the premiums!)

Of course, we have no assets and a very low income, so once our medical bills hit a certain amount in a month, we qualify for Medicaid for the rest of the month (medically needy.) No, this is not the ideal situation, but it allows us to have catastrophic coverage while paying for most of our own care. We'll have to do this until our income increases and we can afford insurance again. Hopefully we'll never need the Medicaid.

Yeah, when you put it that way, I don't know. I mean, I almost NEVER go to the doctor, if I get sick, I will usually let it run its course or treat myself with over the counter meds. If I feel like I MUST see a doctor, I pay the office fee which is maybe 75 bucks or some such, and if I need a prescription, it's usually just an antibiotic or some such and a generic brand isn't that expensive. It's rare that I ever feel I have to do that (I've gone to the doctor four times, including for this thyroid thing, in the past almost 5 years. Once was just to get established as a patient so I would HAVE a doctor to go to if need be. Once was for some bad sore throat kind of thing that lingered for over 3 weeks and finally made me think maybe I needed prescription meds. Once was for bad sciatica that lasted weeks without clearing up like it usually did- and I then found out a chiropractor was more effective AND cheaper for that- and once was for this thyroid thing.

I am able to be on some sort of plan where I don't have to pay for my annual gyno exams through a "maternal and family health services" type of place, due to a low income/uninsured program.

I pay for my own dental exams which is maybe $45.00 twice a year. If I need a filling or something, it's not that expensive. I pay for my own eye exams which isn't all that much, since I only go like every two or three years.

If I tried to pay for insurance, 1) it would be unaffordable and/or cause a financial struggle every single month, and 2) I don't think it would be worth it unless there was some sort of crazy emergency that came up- and I'm just hoping that won't ever be the case! I mean I can't even IMAGINE being uninsured and then getting cancer or something! But I can only hope that nothing that earth shattering will never happen.

And if there's something that comes up that requires an emergency room visit (as has only happened to me once in my adult, uninsured life), then I go, and they have to treat you, and then they bill you, and even if you only pay them $10.00 a month or something, they can't put you in collections as long as you ARE paying. So you get on a payment plan, or see if they have some sort of deal they will offer for 'charity care', and you pay it off as you can.

In this case, I guess I might have to pay four or five hundred bucks for this thyroid thing but then hopefully that's the extent of it and it'll be a one time thing so to speak... if I had to pay $350 or more every single month for insurance... yuck! (Although when I last looked up how much it would cost for good family insurance I seem to remember it being way higher than that, even!)

It is a single payer system, so it's just cheaper overall. Administrators, doctors, everybody involved makes much less money than in America (still a decent living, though, like $100k a year for generalists). The medical card that everyone carries around is read by a meter in the doctor's office, and she can immediately tell the patient's medical history, which meds he may be on, who has seen him, etc. Efficiency!

When I call my doctor in France, I get her on the phone, not a receptionist. When I pay, I pay her. If I would need a shot, she would give it; no nurse is involved. Her office is one room off her apartment, with a small outside waiting room and one bathroom, that she may clean herself (she may have a cleaning lady come in; I'll ask next time I see her). Can you imagine an American doctor even considering cleaning his patients' bathroom?

Health care doesn't need to cost what it does in America, but it will until people demand differently. And to do that they have to look beyond the fear fed to them by politicians, the media, and mainly, the health care industry, and actually educate themselves about the possibities for reducing costs.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I like this idea, but when I read it to my dh he said that it would not work unless the government paid for the medical education and the doc's didn't have to buy super expensive malpractice insurance.

If I spent 8 years of schooling +2 years internship, had $$$ of school debt and had to pay $$ yearly of malpractice insurance, one would not actually make $100,000.

He also stated that most people wouldn'd feel comfortable going to someone's house to receive medical care. It wouldn't bother me, but he said it would bother many people.

What dh said could work- is to allow nurse practitioners of open up their own general practices and only have doctors as specialists. Do we really need to see a doctor for a cold to get antibiotics? Could an nurse practitioner see us for general well being?

I agree!

That is why I stated it was good for catastrophes. I consider having to have chemo a big catastrophe!

Insurance doesn't provide health care anymore(IMHO), it only provides catastrophe care.

But this is how insurance is supposed to work

You don't buy insurance on your automobile to change the oil and the tires -- you buy it in case you get into an accident.

We are military and have insurance. With the plan I am on, we budget 1000 a year- that is the maximum we pay, but we do pay that every year. I just have it as part of our budget plans. When my dh retires in a few years, it will jump to 3000 per year but I will keep that plan unless he gets a better plan through his work. (The plan is 150 individual deductible/300 family deductible, and either 20 or 15% copay until we reach 1000, when we retire, I think both the deductibles and co-pays will be higher until dh is 65, I think, when it becomes less expensive again).