Menu

To go with your top 5 albums - top concerts attended!

I will start -

Elton John at Dodger Stadium (my first concert!)

Elvis Costello (first tour here waaaay back when he was Angry Young Man)

Clash (my ears were ringing for three days after wards - they were LOUD!)

Bruce Springsteen (mid-80s)

And, one day, about 1983 or 84, I was walking across UCLA and went to the base of the big steps and...GENERAL PUBLIC (English Beat) was doing a free performance!!!

I was a Sweet Young Thing and was eye-balled by Rankin Roger!

I still can't believe they were just, THERE!!!

Can the live orchestra performing to the first big roadshow tour of Napoleon also count? :D Or Danny Kaye "conduction" at the Hollywood Bowl?

I don't know if I can pick just 5. Let's see...

Billy Joel/Elton John

Van Halen

George Strait Country Music Festival (about 5 times)

Jimmy Buffet - such fun

James Taylor

The Lemonheads

R.E.M. with Radiohead

Dave Matthews Band before they were huge. Smallish show at bandshell in Dallas

Casting Crowns

Third Day

There are shows I'm not thinking of, I know. I used to go to concerts all the time. Not so much these days.

I'm sure I'll be adding U2 after we see them in the summer!

Straight No Chaser, just last year. Gorgeous music and really funny as well.

Charlie Peacock--many concerts. He made the big ones feel like a party (dancing, etc.). I went to a much smaller, more intimate concert and loved that one as well.

GLAD accapella. The acoustics were wonderful, and the music truly heavenly.

Petra, when I was just 16 years old. It was part concert, part worship service.

Edited by strider

wow. that's really hard to think of only 5. the ones listed are from when i was younger, but i have great memories of these concerts.

1) REM-1987 in 10th grade

2) Depeche Mode-seen them several times & the only band I've ever purchased scalped tickets for

3) Dee Lite early 90's-lots of dancing. Super fun!

4) nine inch nails & jesus and mary chain - early 90's...not a concert i would have enjoyed nowadays, but loved it back then.

5) smashing pumpkins - album release party in the 90's. awesome!

honorable mention: jane's addiction, sinead oconnor, the cult, erasure, and new order

Gloria Estefan (in a small stadium -woohoo!)

Mana (cool Latin rock band - awesome concert!)

Ricky Martin (what a show man!)

Guns and Roses (without Slash, but still really good)

Bon Jovi (love him!)

I still want to see Shakira!

Iron Maiden (1st concert, 1984)

Black Sabbath with Pantera & Incubus (1999 reunion tour. Took the boy I'd babysat since birth to his first show. He was 8)

Aerosmith (I've seen them several times. The last was also the last big arena show I went to. I was newly pg and at the show with the same boy as mentioned above. He was almost 11 for this one.)

Def Leppard (the in-the-round show was a lot of fun)

Meat Puppets (small SMALL all-ages club, took my daughter. She was almost 8)

Lynyrd Skynyrd - right before the plane crash in 1977

ZZ Top

Linda Ronstadt

Eagles

George Strait/ Kathy Mattea

Garth Brooks/ Trisha Yearwood

Sorry, I know it's more than 5, but I couldn't choose!

I went to a lot of concerts when I was young, but I can't remember most of them. :tongue_smilie:

I haven't been to many concerts :blushing: but the few that I've been to were great:

• Michael W. Smith in the late 80's I think -- It was the "Eye 2 Eye" tour
  • The Newsboys "Shine" tour...it would have been worth the price of admission in itself, but they were opening for....
  • Steven Curtis Chapman "Great Adventure" tour...fun concert
  • Tierney Sutton - amazing jazz vocalist
  • Dave Brubek Trio - bar none, the best concert I've ever attended...and he was in his late 80's at the time. AMAZING man, AMAZING talent.
  • Mannheim Steamroller's Christmas Tour back in 2003 - SO LOUD, but so much fun.

Third Day (it was WinterJam, a small traveling festival, and their set was small, but I loved it - so much so I was hoarse for 3 days..completely losing it on day 2 LOL I screamed and cheered and whooped like a little girl :D )

Paul McCartney (Flowers in the Dirt tour)

Phil Keaggy - every time I see him

Bette Midler

YES

Newsboys/Steve Taylor tour. Those of you who are in the know..I was surrounded by a bunch of twelve year olds who didn't get why I was so excited when Steve Taylor came on stage for his set, until I explained to them that he wrote the Newsboys songs..THEN they got excited..until he started singing and they didn't recognize any of HIS songs LOL Made me feel REALLY old.

Genesis in the late 80's....because my Mom won front row tickets..and it was a blast being on the front row!

Barry Manilow in the early 80's..because he was my Mom's favorites...and I love that I got to take her and watch HER have so much fun.

Edited by DarcyB

Coachella 1999 - Ben Harper, Rage Against the Machine, & Tool in one glorious night.

Gomez (twice - they put on fantastic shows!)

Death Cab for Cutie & Pedro the Lion

Tori Amos & Alanis Morissette @ the Hollywood Bowl

Pearl Jam - seen them 3 times, but my favorite was the Yield Tour in Missoula, MT

I haven't been to many concerts.

The first one I ever saw was Aerosmith (Skid Row opened for them). I think I was 19. I went with my ex husband (who was then my boyfriend).

The second one I saw was Meatloaf. I think I was early 20's. Again, I went with my ex husband (who was then my husband).

The third was a Lilith Fair concert and the only two performers whose names I can remember were Sarah McLaughlin and Missy Elliot. I think I was mid 20's. I went with my best friend.

And the fourth was Bret Michaels, like two years ago (mid 30's). I went with a sister-in-law and a friend.

I will be seeing Bret Michaels again this Thanksgiving with a few friends. :D

ETA: A couple of years before that first Bret Michaels concert, I ALMOST went to an Eminem concert but then decided against it as I was pretty pregnant with my son and worried about what it would be like with the crowd, the noise, etc, so I decided to skip it. I'd still go see him though if I ever got the chance!

Edited by NanceXToo

FEAR

Without a doubt the best concert I've ever been to!!

I think the NY Dolls started the show and there was a riot. While we were trying to sneak into the show there were helicopters and police in riot gear. We kept circling the building to stay ahead of them while trying to figure out how to get this particular door open. After many attempts some guy got so angry he went to a VW Bug next to the door, smashed the window with his fist, grabbed a crowbar that I guess was just sitting in there, ran to the door, and pried it open in one crazy growl. Everyone else was shocked, it was surreal.. I remember my friends grabbing me under my arms and saying no matter what just kick your way in!! So we all ran down this long corridor, came out on the floor of the show, people starting cheering for us, the lights went out and Fear started to play. It was an awesome show!!

others:

Fela Kuti and Jimmy Cliff (same show)

Van Morrison

Buzzcocks

BB King

The Specials

Okay I have to add this concert,

Santana and Jeff Beck

Jeff Beck was killin it that night!

Listening to Fela now as I write this... I'm so glad I got to see him.

One more?? A friend took me to Wham.. :), but little did I know, Chaka Khan opened!! WOW!!! Wham was silly, but Chaka was unforgettable.

Edited by helena

Elton John/Billy Joel (Nashville)

Tori Amos when I got to sit front row center (Fox Theatre in Atlanta)

Elton John at Lakewood Ampitheatre (Atlanta)

Those are the ones that stick out most in my mind. I've seen Tori Amos more than any other artist - probably 6-7 times. I've also been to a bunch of smaller concerts. I used to work in a music store that was a Ticketmaster outlet and we ended up with random tickets a lot.

FEAR

BB King

Santana and Jeff Beck

BB King is still around here, but haven't seen him yet. Haven't seen Santana or Jeff Beck but would like that!

My concerts from long ago:

Doobie Brothers

Huey Lewis and the News

Stephen Stills, twice

CSN

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Kansas

Yes

U2 - my favorite band of all time

Mine, too. I love them :001_smile:

Favorite concerts-

Aerosmith (with Joan Jett opening)

The Rolling Stones

The Police

U2 (of course...)

and some recent ones with my kids--

Never Shout Never (this kid has a gorgeous voice)

AllStar Weekend (yes, I know they're a Disney band, but they put on a very high-energy show and they appear to really have fun on stage).

Edited by Imprimis

Elton John/Billy Joel (Nashville)

Tori Amos when I got to sit front row center (Fox Theatre in Atlanta)

Elton John at Lakewood Ampitheatre (Atlanta)

Those are the ones that stick out most in my mind. I've seen Tori Amos more than any other artist - probably 6-7 times. I've also been to a bunch of smaller concerts. I used to work in a music store that was a Ticketmaster outlet and we ended up with random tickets a lot.

Uhh... me too. In TX AND in TN. Interesting...

Crowded House - back in the early 90's when Paul Hester was still alive. My best (guy) friend and I saw them three times - each time in the 2nd or 3rd row, center. They can put on an amazing show (well, the play between Paul and Neil was amazing; I had tickets to go see them back in August but ended up not going - I was feeling yucky and pregnant and didn't want to go to a loud concert).

Steven Curtis Chapman - saw him in the early 90's with a friend and then again (2x I think) with dh and friends in the early 2000's. That man can perform, is very very funny, and is just overall great to see live.

U2 - I much preferred the concert I saw in the San Diego Sports Arena rather than the one I saw at Jack Murphy Stadium; it was much more intimate and I had better seats. I do love me some Bono. :)

Sting - saw him in the very late 90's or early 2000's (before ds#1 was born) at the Greek Theater in LA. He can put on a show too! And he's very easy on the eyes. ;)

Blacksmith Union - a now broken up band from San Diego in the early 90's. They never were big, just played a bunch of coffee shops and bars, but I loved them. My best (guy) friend from my Crowded House concerts and I would see them whenever we could - it was always a very intimate setting and they played great music.

Man there are others ... I LOVE live music and seen quite a few concerts (at least pre-children). But the ones above stand out as the best of the best.

1. Bob Dylan with Tom Petty at the Shoreline- I never really though much of Petty until I saw him perform. He put on a good show.

2. The Greatful Dead at Winterland and Ventura Fairgrounds plus a hundred other venues.

3. Neil Young at UC Santa Barbara-small setting

4. The Cowboy Junkies in Santa Cruz-little club

5. Taj Mahal in Santa Cruz-little club

I've been to a lot of shows and belonged to a blues society where I saw some of the giants of blues come through LA and Santa Barbara in the '80s. I also went to a lot of reggae shows and won free tickets to see Gregory Isaacs at the Santa Barbara Bowl. I saw George Thorogood play more times than I care to remember, and I've seen Steve Kimock a bunch too.

1. Bob Dylan with Tom Petty at the Shoreline- I never really though much of Petty until I saw him perform. He put on a good show.

2. The Greatful Dead at Winterland and Ventura Fairgrounds plus a hundred other venues.

3. Neil Young at UC Santa Barbara-small setting

4. The Cowboy Junkies in Santa Cruz-little club

5. Taj Mahal in Santa Cruz-little club

I've been to a lot of shows and belonged to a blues society where I saw some of the giants of blues come through LA and Santa Barbara in the '80s. I also went to a lot of reggae shows and won free tickets to see Gregory Isaacs at the Santa Barbara Bowl. I saw George Thorogood play more times than I care to remember, and I've seen Steve Kimock a bunch too.

Great list!

I saw Bob Dylan in maybe 88, 89? That one would go on my worst 5 list.

I think it was a low point in his career. It was painful to watch, I think someone even yelled out, "you suck"!

We got there a little late and the guys just let us in..

I'd like to see him again (in a better mood). :D

FEAR

BB King

Santana and Jeff Beck

BB King is still around here, but haven't seen him yet.

He's a must see!! He did a lot of talking, which I like, and he had to sit.

He's getting older, so now's the time to go..

Go, if you get a chance!!

I saw Dylan and Petty at Red Rocks, must've been the same tour in the mid-80s. I could never stand Dylan but have always been a Tom Petty fan.

Other faves include:

Van Halen, 1979 San Jose Center for the Performing Arts--the last rock concert before they stopped allowing them due to the balcony swing.

Greg Kihn Band, 1982?3? at the Old Waldorf in SF--a little supper club, intimate concert, really great.

Greg Kihn and Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, 1982 Concord Pavilion. (We liked Greg Kihn!)

Chris Tomlin, last month. Imagine--no one walking around offering acid for sale. :ohmy:

I totally forgot to add my 6th top concert. ;) Rosemary Clooney. I was pregnant with ds#1 (I think); my mom, sister, and I saw her about a year before she died. She was a wonderful performer and though she had to sit the entire concert, her voice never sounded better. I would have seen her a few times more if I could have before she passed. George Clooney said it right once in an interview: if there is a heaven, Rosemary is up there singing. :)