Menu

When do your kids stop trick-or-treating?

Is trick-or-treating for kids who are:  

1. 1. Is trick-or-treating for kids who are:

• Less than 10
    • Less than 11
    • Less than 12
    • Less than 13
    • Less than 14
    • Any age until they decide not to

My dd is 13. I've always had it in my head that 13 is the cut-off for trick-or-treating; once you're a teenager, trick-or-treating is pretty dubious. My dd is taking this in stride just fine. I'm going to have a scavenger hunt at our house, so she'll still get some candy that way. My dh, though, thinks I'm being a draconian micro-manager. He would not have cut her off, thinking she should t-o-t until she decides she's too old. I have to say, I never liked t-o-t'ers coming to my house when they're as tall as I am. :glare: It's not really cute anymore. So, what say you: Is trick-or-treating for kids who are:

Less than 10

Less than 11

Less than 12

Less than 13

Less than 14

For any kid as long as they want

And P.S.: Obviously, this is for trick-or-treating families. If you don't t-o-t, there's no point telling me.

Edited by Quill

I would let my kids decide when THEY want to stop trick-or-treating. Trick-or-treating was exciting and fun for me until I was probably about 16 years old. It's once a year, it's harmless, and if they're willing to dress up and go out for a night of harmless fun, people are going to be willing to give them candy. They will decide when they've outgrown it. I wouldn't force a premature stop on them before then.

I'm only 5'1 1/2", so a LOT of T-o-Ters are taller than I am! :lol: My eldest went T-o-Ting last year. She will probably just take her siblings around this year v. T-o-Ting herself. We get a lot of teen T-o-Ters. The only thing I don't like is when they show up not in costume. I keep a supply of vampire teeth on hand and make them put them in to get candy. No costume, no candy! :D

My dd is 13. I've always had it in my head that 13 is the cut-off for trick-or-treating; once you're a teenager, trick-or-treating is pretty dubious. My dd is taking this in stride just fine. I'm going to have a scavenger hunt at our house, so she'll still get some candy that way. My dh, though, thinks I'm being a draconian micro-manager. He would not have cut her off, thinking she should t-o-t until she decides she's too old. I have to say, I never liked t-o-t'ers coming to my house when they're as tall as I am. :glare: It's not really cute anymore. So, what say you: Is trick-or-treating for kids who are:

Less than 10

Less than 11

Less than 12

Less than 13

Less than 14

For any kid as long as they want

And P.S.: Obviously, this is for trick-or-treating families. If you don't t-o-t, there's no point telling me.

I've had some groups of teens come trick or treating. But not very many. I don't have a problem with it at all as long as they are dressed up and use their nice manners. It's a game. If they want to play by the rules I will happily give candy. :001_smile:

I've had some groups of teens come trick or treating. But not very many. I don't have a problem with it at all as long as they are dressed up and use their nice manners. It's a game. If they want to play by the rules I will happily give candy. :001_smile:

:iagree: but voted that mine will stop around 13. I don't know why, and we're not there yet, but that's my plan at the moment. I do see some teens out with no costumes and no manners, and I really hate that.

I voted as long as they want. I will be taking a 19 year old, a 17 year old, a 14 year old and the 11 year old as well as any friends that want to tag along this year. We will all be dressed up bu thank goodness I am wearing something warmer this year. I darn near froze my fanny off last year. :tongue_smilie:

Well, last year my oldest ds dressed up as Hugh Heffner and went trick or treating with some girls dressed up as, well, his girls (they were 14-16.) :001_huh::lol: They got a TON of laughs from people.

Ten years ago my brother and his friends ended up on the front page of the newspaper (and on the 11 o'clock news) in their cheerleader outfits doing a choreographed dance in the back of the city bus. They were 17.

Keep in mind, though, that this was all in Chapel Hill, NC, where as many as 50,000 teens and young adults take to the streets for a MASSIVE Halloween party every year.:D

I don't care how old trick or treaters are as long as they are in costume. Dressing up as skateboarders doesn't count, though!

I just found this out because our neighbor's son, who is now 14, said he could no longer go because of the law. What's really sad is that he was oxygen-deprived when he was born, so his maturity level is more like that of my boys (though he has more strength and dexterity). It seemed to be hard on him. Our boys are going for the first time this year (change in convictions), and Nathan said, "wow -- I won't be able to go much more."

Not everyone is a vandalizing thug at 14. :tongue_smilie:

There are cities with laws about that? Wow.

When I was 11 I dressed up as Groucho Marx but came home after only one block as I just felt too old.

My kids kept dressing up through last year - when they were 18, 15, and 13!! But they were mostly roaming around with friends, not so much asking for candy. SillyAutismBoy, (also 18 last year) dressed up as a leprechaun and did trick or treat - he is mentally a first grader, and folks here know him (or can easily tell that he is different). He is also about 6 feet tall! Hubby or I always tag along in case anyone harasses him, but so far no one has. He actually told me this year that he is not going out, so I congratulated him on growing up. I have bought a lot of the candy he likes anyway, to give him, and will encourage him to be the door answer person to give candy to the little kids. Maybe he will dress up for that - I dunno. I am relieved that he has decided not to go out by himself - there is so little he enjoys doing that I hated to force him to stop.

As long as teens dress up and are polite, let them trick or treat.

those of you who live in communities with the stupid age laws - do they actually enforce it? i mean, are there cops wandering around on halloween night, stopping kids who are taller than 5' and asking them for ID? :tongue_smilie: (which kids don't tend to have anyway) or what...(and it's dark and everyone is wearing costumes!) [hello waste of police resources!]

what a dumb law.... my ds12 is very 'delayed' and has only had two real halloweens that he was able to enjoy and understand what it was all about. guess we'd be nasty law breakers cuz i sure wouldn't be stopping him already. ;)

As long as they want to make an effort to wear a costume, with bonus points for taking a little brother or sister (cousin, neighbor...). What I don't like is kids, of any age, with a pillowcase and no costume, or a really minimal attempt like a mask or hat only.

I always find the moms with the sleeping dressed up baby funny. I think it's equal parts of "isn't he cute" and "GIVE ME CHOCOLATE! I HAVEN'T SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT IN 6 MONTHS!!!!"

I don't know. It's our first year going, but my guess is "no." It's just that thanks to the kid next door, I know it's a law now. ugh Ignorance is bliss, right? LOL

My guess is, police would do nothing as long as the teen were acting responsibly. I hope they would spend their time on more important matters, anyway. :)

those of you who live in communities with the stupid age laws - do they actually enforce it? i mean, are there cops wandering around on halloween night, stopping kids who are taller than 5' and asking them for ID? :tongue_smilie: (which kids don't tend to have anyway) or what...(and it's dark and everyone is wearing costumes!) [hello waste of police resources!]

what a dumb law.... my ds12 is very 'delayed' and has only had two real halloweens that he was able to enjoy and understand what it was all about. guess we'd be nasty law breakers cuz i sure wouldn't be stopping him already. ;)