Menu

Does anybody else sneak to eat certain forbidden foods?

Yes! There are times when I would just like a spoonful or two of ice cream, but I don't think my kids should eat ice cream in the middle of the afternoon. But the rules are different for mommies, aren't they? Besides, Mommy always eats all of her dinner. She can handle a little snack in the afternoon.

Wow! Is it any wonder people have food hangups?

No, I don't sneak food. My bag of Jelly Bellys is mine. Dd has her own. So does dh. If I want ice cream in the middle of the day, I'll fix a bowl for who ever is home.

I also do not consider any food forbidden. Yes, we've eaten chocolate cake for breakfast, and pie for for dinner.

All things in moderation.

Wow! Is it any wonder people have food hangups?

No, I don't sneak food. My bag of Jelly Bellys is mine. Dd has her own. So does dh. If I want ice cream in the middle of the day, I'll fix a bowl for who ever is home.

I also do not consider any food forbidden. Yes, we've eaten chocolate cake for breakfast, and pie for for dinner.

All things in moderation.

honestly, it is not that I don't think they should get any....it's just that I'd like to be able to enjoy something MYSELF without having to fix any for anyone else. (selfish, I know!!!)

I guess I look at it differently.

I've only got 7 more years to surprise my dd with chocolate cake for breakfast or to indulge in a dish of ice cream in the middle of the day with her.

The other thing that runs through my mind is: what if she got hit by a bus tomorrow. Do I want memories of hiding with my ice cream in the mudroom? Or do I want the memory of a shared treat?

ETA: Not to mention food hangups. The perfect example is one already shared by a PP. If she is perfectly serious her little boy already has a skewed view of junk food.

Edited by Parrothead

My little one loves hot tea but I don't like her to have a lot of caffeine and sometimes I just don't want to share (she likes to stir it and makes a mess). Our kitchen/dining room is blocked off from the rest of the house because of our dog so I used to sit at the dr table and enjoy my tea, occasionally ice cream, cookies or cake. :001_smile: Now both kids have figured out how to open the gate so they can come in at a moment's notice. I have to find a new "hiding" place. :tongue_smilie:

For me it's chocolate and it's almost impossible to sneak because it is so fragrant and my daughter is always sniffing my breath.

Sniff-sniff "You had chocolate Mommy!"

Sniff-sniff "You had spicy chips, Mommy! I want some" after I had some nacho cheese Doritos.

I can't hide anything from her.

honestly, it is not that I don't think they should get any....it's just that I'd like to be able to enjoy something MYSELF without having to fix any for anyone else. (selfish, I know!!!)

I understand that. Wolf stashed pb cups in the back of the freezer the other day. Sometimes he and I just want to have something for us after the kids are in bed. Rather than a bottle of wine now and then (he only likes red, I can only drink white...and neither of us actually *enjoys* it, but when someone brings a bottle as a host gift...) he picks up a special treat to surprise me with.

I don't think that its going to make for any eating issues, any more than not giving the kids some wine will make them have drinking issues.

I also have a bag of jelly beans stashed in my room as a treat now and then for the kids. If it was in the kitchen, it'd look like a swarm of locusts hit it :lol:

When I buy Mallowmars I get 2 boxes. One I hide in the car until I am all alone. Then I take that box and remove the Mallowmars and wrap them in tinfoil. Then I stick it in the back of the freezer. No one ever opens something wrapped in tinfoil in the freezer. Then I get to enjoy a cookie when I am all alone. So nice.

I really don't, but I think my 3 year old thinks I do. Her new thing is that she asks to see in my mouth and to smell it. :001_huh::lol: I think she is intrigued when I chew gum (kids aren't allowed to yet) and always wants to know if I've got a piece?

My children were in the playroom the other day and there was just one piece of dessert left. I put it on a plate with ice cream, went in my room and locked the door. :D That way I could just make excuses for why the door was locked. It was only enough for me anyway, so it just had to be that way!!:lol:

I must have been 16 years old before I figured out that the plastic container in our freezer marked "Chicken Livers" actually contained chocolate covered sponge candy. You'd think I'd have noticed that we never actually ate chicken livers.

:lol::lol::lol:

This is great!

I sometimes have to hide food, but not from my kids. I love surprising them with special treats, and sharing the good stuff. The problem is my sister. She is living with us, too. I wouldn't mind sharing with her either, but she seems to have a problem with controlling herself. She will eat every. last. bit. of something, and we are left disappointed.

So, sometimes we hide food from her. :tongue_smilie:

...but for me, it's neither lighthearted, nor benign. :( (I wish it were!)

One of my dd's is overweight and has some other symptoms of concern. The endocrinologist has us tracking what she eats, staying away from sugar, fat, and high-carb foods. I am a dysfunctional eater, and the fact that I am now fully focused on (and anxious about) how the family (and dd) eats, seems to be exacerbating my problem. I binge, usually on pasta or bread, while my kids are out working on the farm in the afternoon, then I get rid of the evidence before they return. I'm literally sick to my stomach while I'm trying to make dinner for the family. I think I need mental health help at this point, but I'm not sure how to go about it, since I've never heard anyone mention overeating in any terms other than, "I need to go on a diet."

I sneak the food so that I don't lead my kids, especially dd, into temptation. :001_huh:

Someone who does this, and there are quite a few of you, explain why. Is it the thrill of not getting "caught" by your children? Is it a selfish streak? Do your spouses know? How often does this happen? Is it like getting a fix or something?

I'm imagining women in dark glasses and large brim hats quickly looking around to make sure no one sees them stuff a piece of Hershey's in their mouths before putting the key in the ignition, sucking down a Coke and calmly heading to pick up the kids from soccer practice like nothing ever happened.

I'm truly trying to understand.

Maybe it has something to do with "forbidden food." The only thing we forbid is food with artificial sweeteners because there are members of our family that can not tolerate them. Is that the case? Is it like sneaking in peanut butter when you are not allergic to it, but one of your kids is?

...but for me, it's neither lighthearted, nor benign. :( (I wish it were!)

One of my dd's is overweight and has some other symptoms of concern. The endocrinologist has us tracking what she eats, staying away from sugar, fat, and high-carb foods. I am a dysfunctional eater, and the fact that I am now fully focused on (and anxious about) how the family (and dd) eats, seems to be exacerbating my problem. I binge, usually on pasta or bread, while my kids are out working on the farm in the afternoon, then I get rid of the evidence before they return. I'm literally sick to my stomach while I'm trying to make dinner for the family. I think I need mental health help at this point, but I'm not sure how to go about it, since I've never heard anyone mention overeating in any terms other than, "I need to go on a diet."

I sneak the food so that I don't lead my kids, especially dd, into temptation. :001_huh:

:grouphug: Can you talk to your dd's endo? Maybe he/she can recommend a counselor.

Someone who does this, and there are quite a few of you, explain why. Is it the thrill of not getting "caught" by your children? Is it a selfish streak? Do your spouses know? How often does this happen? Is it like getting a fix or something?

No, it's not the thrill of getting caught for me. It's not selfishness, it happens often, sometimes they find wrappers. It's a total fix. I'm so stressed, and I have anxiety. I don't drink... I need a little ahhhh in my day. I don't want anyone in the family to have chocolate and baked goods as a vice (they probably all do), so I just do the damage alone. FWIW, I'm a size 4 with a little tummy. My health issues have a tendency to make me loose my appetite, or to make me vomit. I just want to eat something really yummy and naughty everyday because it tastes good and I feel more chill afterwards. My life has a lot of restrictions, some by choice, some not. I love my chocolate, and I'm not about to give it up unless I have to.

Edited by helena

LOL. my kids eat junk, so they certainly aren't deprived. my mother in law lives next door to me & happily stuffs them full of it daily. i hide stuff on the top shelf of the freezer that every.single.person in my family got to partake of & enjoy. i just didn't want to eat mine then, so i put it up for when i do want to eat it. if i just left it laying around & told everyone not to touch it, it would become such a pain in the neck. i'd rather hide it & enjoy it on my own terms when i feel like eating it.

I really don't, but I think my 3 year old thinks I do. Her new thing is that she asks to see in my mouth and to smell it. :001_huh::lol: I think she is intrigued when I chew gum (kids aren't allowed to yet) and always wants to know if I've got a piece?

Lol, yes. YES!!! Whenever I have gum the 3yo wants to look in my mouth and smell. Asks me to blow bubbles, too. It's not just gum, it's entertainment for him.

I do sneak food, because unlike my kids, I enjoy an occassional treat. My dh, otoh, believes in daily dessert. So they are in no way treat deprived if I hide my candy bar from them and eat it alone in my room while watching a trashy tv show (thanks, WTM, for telling me about Sister Wives) and drinking a glass of merlot. It's mine, all mine, and I don't want to be bothered, and I don't want to share. If this means I have issues, oh well.

Guest momk2000

I just did :D The kids are upstairs getting ready for bed, and I snuck myself a couple of yummy chocolate cookies. :lol:

It's so nice not to have that little voice sneak up and say..."Hey, what are you eating?" Then if I don't tell them, they just smell it on my breath - "OOOhhh, mommy's eating chocolate" - arrrgh:glare: If you truly want to enjoy that irresistable forbidden snack, you definitely have to sneak it.

I'm imagining women in dark glasses and large brim hats quickly looking around to make sure no one sees them stuff a piece of Hershey's in their mouths before putting the key in the ignition, sucking down a Coke and calmly heading to pick up the kids from soccer practice like nothing ever happened.

Maybe it has something to do with "forbidden food." The only thing we forbid is food with artificial sweeteners because there are members of our family that can not tolerate them. Is that the case? Is it like sneaking in peanut butter when you are not allergic to it, but one of your kids is?

For me its mostly selfishness and laziness.....

just being honest...

has nothing to do with forbidden food or bingeing or unhealthy food habits. For the most part, I eat VERY healthily. But sometimes I want to have something that is JUST mine. Having my children around me all day makes me "lose myself" a bit.

LOL. my kids eat junk, so they certainly aren't deprived. my mother in law lives next door to me & happily stuffs them full of it daily. i hide stuff on the top shelf of the freezer that every.single.person in my family got to partake of & enjoy. i just didn't want to eat mine then, so i put it up for when i do want to eat it. if i just left it laying around & told everyone not to touch it, it would become such a pain in the neck. i'd rather hide it & enjoy it on my own terms when i feel like eating it.

I get the keeping your stuff for you. We do do that. I've got my bag of Jelly Bellies in my end table drawer. They are for me and me only. If I feel like sharing I can or I don't have to. Dd had her own bag. I can't help it if she sucked hers down. She can't have mine.

I guess what makes it so curious to me is the hiding part. Everyone in the family knows I've got JBs, chocolate covered blueberries, and black Twizzlers to name a few in that drawer.

I guess what makes it so curious to me is the hiding part. Everyone in the family knows I've got JBs, chocolate covered blueberries, and black Twizzlers to name a few in that drawer.

maybe it's the rebel in me, needing to keep that kit-kat all to myself.... or maybe it's the relentless pig in each member of my family that forces me to live this double life. either way, i can live with myself.:D

No, there are times that I just like to be alone (I'm rarely alone) and it's nice to be able to have a treat sometime. Sometimes it's just a cup of tea, but sometimes it might be chocolate. If my kids were to see me eating something junk food oriented, they'd be more than happy to join me. But they're always joining me, so sometimes it's nice to be alone w/a treat in the middle of the day. Other times, it's before dinner, I don't want to ruin their appetites, but mine will be fine. Or there are a gazillion other reasons why, such as they've already had some treat earlier in the day and rather have my alone time ruined w/explaining why they can't have more, it's easier not to share.

It has nothing to do w/forbidden food, but I am more likely to limit their intake of junk food than I am for myself. I am an adult and they're just pint-sized. And none of us have eating disorders. We're all athletes w/healthy respect for our bodies. Believe me, I will have plenty of memories of choc. cake for breakfast days and sharing days. Do you share EVERYTHING w/your dc?

Well, at my house it has nothing at all to do with forbidden food, and everything to do with the "locust phenomenon". You have one eleven year old. I have three kids under the age of nine. Anytime I eat *anything* that they are not eating, they converge. Any time I turn on the television, they converge. Even if they've had a snack and I haven't. Even if they've had their screen time, and I haven't watched anything in days. And I do set standards, explain, rinse, repeat. But it's tiring. So yeah, sometimes I just wait until they are not around to put food in my mouth, because then I get to actually chew and swallow without answering questions about what I'm eating, where I got it, and how much there is even though the kids just freaking ate. They get treats. I bake. We buy little things. Stewart's usually gets us good during the ice cream sale, since we know everybody down there and they're competing to sell the most half-gallons. But they are just plain not entitled to sample or comment on every goldarn thing I eat, anymore than I would raid their stockings or Halloween stash without asking.

It is possible to indulge oneself in the act of being in the moment while eating something tasty without having a disorder, an unhealthy attitude toward food, or some sort of weird dualism with one's kids.

No, there are times that I just like to be alone (I'm rarely alone)

I love my children so, so much, but I am much more of an introvert by nature than most of my current acquaintances would believe. It is going to take me forever to decompress when the last kid moves out, even if I'm "empty nest" grieving.

Do you share EVERYTHING w/your dc?

Well, like I said, candywise, I have mine, she has hers, dh has his. We hit the candy store a couple of times a month. (I just ate my last chili mango JB and will probably go tomorrow or Friday.) I get more mooching from dh than dd.

Other sweets or junk food, if they come in the house they are for the family. There is no hidden stash in the freezer or fridge or in the top of the closet.

I've never dropped dd at dance, gone to the store, bought chocolate and scarfed it down before picking her up. IF I drop dd at dance, go to the store and buy chocolate I'll get a Mounds for me, a Crunch for dd and a Reese's cup for dh.

Well, at my house it has nothing at all to do with forbidden food, and everything to do with the "locust phenomenon". You have one eleven year old. I have three kids under the age of nine. Anytime I eat *anything* that they are not eating, they converge. Any time I turn on the television, they converge. Even if they've had a snack and I haven't. Even if they've had their screen time, and I haven't watched anything in days. And I do set standards, explain, rinse, repeat. But it's tiring. So yeah, sometimes I just wait until they are not around to put food in my mouth, because then I get to actually chew and swallow without answering questions about what I'm eating, where I got it, and how much there is even though the kids just freaking ate. They get treats. I bake. We buy little things. Stewart's usually gets us good during the ice cream sale, since we know everybody down there and they're competing to sell the most half-gallons. But they are just plain not entitled to sample or comment on every goldarn thing I eat, anymore than I would raid their stockings or Halloween stash without asking.

It is possible to indulge oneself in the act of being in the moment while eating something tasty without having a disorder, an unhealthy attitude toward food, or some sort of weird dualism with one's kids.

Oh, that's right. I've only got one kid, I'm not a real parent.

Oh, that's right. I've only got one kid, I'm not a real parent.

I'm sure that's not what the pp meant. I have a friend w/6 boys. It is impossible for her to keep any food in her house w/o it looking like the Huns came rambling through. I've had her dc over to my house and they wiped out an entire fruit bowl of about 20 pieces of fruit and a gallon of milk. It gets expensive, and I completely understand how she is more restrictive in the kitchen/pantry than I am w/my dc.

I'm sure that's not what the pp meant. I have a friend w/6 boys. It is impossible for her to keep any food in her house w/o it looking like the Huns came rambling through. I've had her dc over to my house and they wiped out an entire fruit bowl of about 20 pieces of fruit and a gallon of milk. It gets expensive, and I completely understand how she is more restrictive in the kitchen/pantry than I am w/my dc.

Yes this. I have to ration milk.

AHA! (Say any of us when we catch another eating stashed treasures....) I think that my younger son sort of started us down this path. He ate SO MUCH candy - anything sweet, really - that I really was afraid he was either diabetic or going to become diabetic shortly. So we started limiting or completely eliminating lots of types of food in the house that we'd always had around before. Each of us have particular things we like to have from time to time, so all three of us eventually started bringing those things into the house and hiding them to prevent younger son from gobbling them up. My husband and I have gotten very good at it; my older son just can't seem to figure out how to foil his little brother (but he's at school now, so that's mostly a non-issue any more)....