Menu

A thread about LIFE & PURPOSE for non-Christians

I am curious about what non-Christians of all persuasions (please all religions and all non-believers) think about LIFE & PURPOSE.

What is Life?

Why do we care so much about staying alive?

Why do we live as if we can conquer death?

What is Purpose and why does it matter?

Why do we suffer so much when facing a loved one's death as if it were not a normal part of life?

Why do we take our day to day living for granted?

I do not wish to offend Christians by asking for only non-Christian beliefs/thoughts, it's just that I already know all about the Christian position on this subject.

Thanks.

We care because we enjoy it. We are sad about other peoples deaths because we will miss them. I don't take my day to day living for granted, I consider every moment precious. I certainly don't live as if I can conquer death. I think the people who do that are the ones that are unaware of their own mortality. I think everyones purpose is different, mine is to tread gently on the earth, care for other people and love my family.

I am curious about what non-Christians of all persuasions (please all religions and all non-believers) think about LIFE & PURPOSE.

What is Life?

Why do we suffer so much when facing a loved one's death as if it were not a normal part of life?

I do not wish to offend Christians by asking for only non-Christian beliefs/thoughts, it's just that I already know all about the Christian position on this subject.

Thanks.

Hi, Rookie.

I'll be quick, so this is just very brief.

1. Life. I guess it's cells multiplying, replicating, etc. Something is alive until their cells can no longer replicate, etc. (I'm probably wrong about this, but . . .I _think_ it's what I can remmeber from biology.)

2. Because, our ancestors wanted to live, and passed that on to us in evolution. Because the first cells that came about lived and passed on their traits that suited their environment to live. Plus, don't we like living? Not all the time, granted, but we're a stubborn species. Mostly, we think things are going to get better, and we want to be around for it.

3. Huh?

4. I don't believe there is a purpose. I believe we can each make a purpose for our lives, but not that there's is a purpose for me or you or a rainbow or feldspar or a goat.

5. Because it HURTS! Why do religious people grieve when one of their loved one dies if they just think they'll meet them again?

6. Human nature. Why are we sitting here chatting about this when hundreds and thousands of children are starving at this very minute? We don't have the capacity. Also related to evolution.

I could probably do a better job if I had more time. But maybe not. Sorry. Gotta run :) I'm sure many will do a better job, whether we agree on all the little details or not.

T.

What is Life?

Thanks.

My answers may be goofy. :001_smile:

1. Life here is everything you experience knowingly and unknowingly from (maybe?) conception until the day you die. I think life is a march into the unknown.

2. instinct, fear, hope

3. I don't, but I've been told I have a bad case of PTSD. I sometimes wonder if the denial thing has to do with not being very developed as human beings, youth is more important that wisdom here in O.C. :). I think different cultures have different relationships with death too. Some I would say were/are too lax on the life is temporary thing. I think it could also be an age thing too. I think the older you get, the more you can see that you can't hog life (youth), you have to step aside for the next young, naive, hopeful, energetic generation.

Maybe they want to conquer death because they are afraid to die, they don't know who they are beyond their earthly selves.

4. I'm not sure I understand this part. Do you mean what is our purpose? I wonder that myself all the time. I've found life to be pretty hard to do. In the end I've decided that the answer doesn't even matter. If I don't figure that one out, it's okay. I'll just have to make myself useful, and be an asset as much as I can. I feel like my purpose may be to just truly do the best I can, and don't forget to be happy. Why does it matter? Because it seems ungrateful to walk around in a world brimming with order, beauty, and rhythm, and then separate yourself from it just because I don't get a direct answer about why I am here. I think it's important also because we don't want to feel our existence is unimportant.

5. Maybe because life is so vast, and the little world we build around ourselves gives us an anchor of sorts. We begin to feel the vulnerability of our lives. Also I think (at least American culture) that we don't have a very deep or healthy relationship with death. There really is not relationship at all. That's so sad..

I think we suffer for it because life is precious and we love these people. There's no shame in that.

6. It's a good question..

Maybe we're not meant to live constantly in that frame of mind (that life here is temporary). The lessons are everywhere, not just in the high levels of consciousness. There's a lot to learn about being human in changing diapers, fighting and making up with your husband...

I've also found that friends and family who have become gravely ill, don't always transform into people who "see the picture for what it really is", they can continue to act as if they will be a pill forever.

:lurk5:

Edited by helena

What is Life?

The thing you do when you're not dead, I suppose! Though it is an interesting question. I had always assumed that life was life and death was death, and moving from one to the other was like flipping a switch. However, I read a book about it (which gave me a terrible headache) and it turns out it is definitely not like flipping a switch. When Miracle Max talked about Westley only being "mostly dead," he wasn't being flippant.

We aren't convinced of a more pleasant alternative, and for the most part we like being alive. When that feeling disappears, I think what keeps us alive anyway is a fear that the dying bit will hurt and not wanting to cause major trauma to those who survive us.

Denial is a useful state of being sometimes, lol. People don't generally like to lose what they have, especially if they aren't getting something bucket loads better in return. Then there are the social factors. If you are no longer considered useful or interesting by the general population once your hair goes grey, you have reason to try and pretend it isn't happening. People like to feel important, maybe? Death kind of reminds you how unimportant you are to most of the cosmos. This doesn't bother me, because I don't think I am an essential ingredient outside my own house. That would bother some people, but I find it comforting :)

Purpose matters because we fall into depression when we haven't enough of it, and depression doesn't feel nice.

Because we liked them. As I said, we don't like to lose things we have. Even people who are glad to see their suffering elderly die still suffer because they can remember when that person was young, happy and bought them showbags at the town fair. They wish their own children and grand children could have the pleasure of knowing that person because that person was a good one to know.

We can't sustain heightened emotional states for long periods of time. Being glad to be alive is one thing, but being deeply, truly, hands clenched together, on our knees in ecstacy grateful isn't something we can keep up once the adrenalin wears off, I think. That level of emotion will exhaust us. Besides, it's a bit hard not to become a bit complacent about something that happens so regularly when we have no reason to expect it to stop any time soon.

Rosie

What is Life? Existence. It just is.

Why do we care so much about staying alive? Generally speaking, it's just how we're programmed, the same as any other living thing (plants seeking out sunlight, animals seeking out water...) Personally, because it's enjoyable, and because I want to be here for my family.

Why do we live as if we can conquer death? I don't.

What is Purpose and why does it matter? I'm not sure I understand the capital P.

Why do we suffer so much when facing a loved one's death as if it were not a normal part of life? Because our lives were brighter with them in it, and who really wants a darker life?

Why do we take our day to day living for granted? Generally speaking, I don't. On a minute-to-minute basis, well, it would be exhausting, and I probably wouldn't get any of the needed drudgery done.

What is Life?

Life is existence on this earth. In my opinion it begins at conception and ends at death.

Because our existence ends at death. Gotta make the most of the time we have here.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. I certainly don't think I can conquer death, but I think I can make choices that help delay it by being careful, being healthy, and living for the long-term.

Not sure what you mean by "Purpose" (seems you are using it as a proper noun). If you're asking why we are alive, then I don't have the answer to that. It seems awfully coincidental and lucky that we are all here on this Earth, but I can't go as far as to believe a deity put me here. If you're asking what our ultimate goal is, well, mine is to leave a positive legacy with my children so they will remember my example and share it with their own families, down through the generations.

Yes, death is normal and natural. It also severs connections between people, so when people die I miss them! If I felt like I could still communicate with the dead then I suppose it wouldn't be such a blow.

We can only focus on so much at a time. It's human nature to focus on "problems" and not pay so much attention to what is working well. I personally try to be very grateful for my day-to-day living. I don't think this has anything to do with religion.

What is Life?

Thanks.

What is Life?

A fluke? A happy accident? A curse? I'm not sure it matters so much to define what is life as to simply embrace the life we have and make the best of it.

Because our biological imperative compels us to fight for survival. And, because no matter how bad it gets, there is still something worth living for.

Do you? I don't. I accept that death will come and I'm not afraid of it. I don't particularly care for it to come anytime soon, though, so I try to take care of myself and take precautions against ridiculously death defying actions, but I don't try to delude myself into thinking that I can conquer death, or cheat death, or even elude death. Death will come when it will come anyway. I've made peace with that.

Purpose is individual. My purpose may mean nothing to you, and yours nothing to me. Every person under the Sun has a different purpose. It it the thing that when you are asked, "why do you keep going?" that is the answer.

We suffer because we are selfish -- because we long to keep our loved ones with us always -- because we have emotions and wants and needs that don't respond to intellectual answers -- because sorrow is a part of the world just as much as joy -- because we know we are helpless in the face of death.

Do we? I don't. Every day that I wake up I know that I am only here because of one small cat. (long story for another day) I would have been dead 18 years ago -- easily. I don't take anything for granted anymore.

What is Life?

Biological matter than consumes and reproduces

We evolved with an inherent need to propogate our species. More than that, though, I happen to think life is pretty great and I'm having a good time - so why wouldn't we want to stay alive? I think animals love their lives as well. I mean - have you ever watched a bird just flying? Not really for a purpose - just because it can. Or dogs playing together, dolphins doing acrobatic flips in front of my sailboat - because they love doing them. Life can be hard - but that makes the good stuff all the sweeter.

I don't think we conquer death. I don't see a need to. Death is a natural state that all living things have to deal with. I personally think that death may just be a different level of existence we can't understand. I do think we have souls, but I don't think anyone has any real idea of what might happen to them. I figure God has done pretty well so far, so why worry about it?

Who said there had to be a purpose? I think we should leave the earth better than we found it, try to make others happy, and do good in our lives. There - that's my Purpose. Why does it matter? To me - I don't even see why that has to be asked..... only a sociopath wouldn't care about the well being of their planet and the lives of the others who inhabit it. It matters because we are capable of loving, it matters because we were given many blessings and should share them and create more. I don't think there is one purpose, or one good reason for any of them - but I find both questions odd and pointless.

We suffer not because it isn't normal - we suffer because it is normal. Elephants, primates, dolphins, and many other mammals grieve for their dead. We grieve as well. We love - therefore we grieve when our loved ones are lost - which is all normal.

When I grieve, I grieve for my loss (and the loss of others still alive)... I generally assume the person who has passed is beyond that. It is actually a very selfish thing - but very normal as well.

I'm not perfect at this, I slip - but I don't take my days for granted. I think because I don't assume there is something better after death (I hope there might be something) - I kinda want to enjoy this life while I have it. I certainly have bad days - but I don't take any of it for granted. I thank God everyday for my life.

Edited by SailorMom

I

What is Life?

A biochemical constellation that respires and reproduces at times.

It is in our genes to combat pain. Most death comes with pain. Also, I have responsibilities I would rather not fail: a child I knowingly brought into the world.

I don't live as though I can conquer death. I am glad I will someday die.

I don't know what Purpose is.

Our attachments to others are part of our human make-up. We are social creatures whose lives depend on others. Without incredibly strong bonds, we would not have survived as the vulnerable creatures we are. BTW, I don't suffer that much at the death of another. I would have as a child, but as a grown up I don't. One can be sorry, can miss someone, can have "bad moments", can regret, without putting it to the level of suffering. I have inherited a sunny nature that was not stunted by a lousy childhood (i.e. I had a good childhood that allowed my sunny nature to flourish). Therefore, if I miss my mother, the coin flips over and I remember how long and well she lived, how she was ready to go, how she died in her own home with her wits about her....but no strangers. I have a big supply of mental ointment for the stings and burns of life.

I don't take it for "granted" in the literal or colloquial sense of the word.

What is Life?

Qualities that set a living organism apart from inanimate objects (metabolism, growth, etc.); in biochemical terms it's a temporary phenomenon (begins, evolves, "wears off", ends).

Evolution, instincts, etc.

We don't necessarily.

I see no need to hypothesize a purpose behind living. Rather, it's something that people read into the state of things, but don't read from the state of things themselves.

Because complex emotions, including complex emotional attachment, are a part of our nature. They are, at the end of the day, chemical in nature, but more evolved from typical instincts, and when paired with our abstract thought abilities (to even think about death), it's a killer, as we approach the thing on a whole new level than simply dealing with instincts.

Because we have a limit on our free time and amount of it we're able/willing to spend in these theoretical musings. It's a lot more practical to live without thinking about your living on a daily basis. :)

I don't know if I should answer at all because I am afraid my answer will seem flippant. I truly don't mean it to be.

My honest, first, response is: Why does answering these questions matter? and I really don't care one way or the other about them.

I say this because I have been through asking these questions and searching for answers for years. I didn't feel better or more fulfilled or anything else when I thought I had answers (from a Christian perspective) than I do now. For a while I tried answering them from other belief systems I adopted over the years and it still didn't make a difference.

Now I am at a point of not caring about finding answers. I am here. I live. I do my thing. Why analyze it?

Now I am at a point of not caring about finding answers. I am here. I live. I do my thing. Why analyze it?

Coz we might not be over the topic yet.

Coz we were born curious.

Coz we are interested in other people's perspectives.

Coz we are bored at home today and feel like conversation.

Coz we can.

The usual suspects ;)

Rosie

Coz we might not be over the topic yet.

Coz we were born curious.

Coz we are interested in other people's perspectives.

Coz we are bored at home today and feel like conversation.

Coz we can.

The usual suspects ;)

Rosie

Oh, I know. :)

I probably should have been more clear (or just kept my mouth shut, but I wanted to be part of something :tongue_smilie:). I meant that I am not into analyzing for myself anymore. You are all free to be curious and interested, I won't stop you. Really. :)

Carry on.

I don't know if I should answer at all because I am afraid my answer will seem flippant. I truly don't mean it to be.

My honest, first, response is: Why does answering these questions matter? and I really don't care one way or the other about them.

I say this because I have been through asking these questions and searching for answers for years. I didn't feel better or more fulfilled or anything else when I thought I had answers (from a Christian perspective) than I do now. For a while I tried answering them from other belief systems I adopted over the years and it still didn't make a difference.

I don't think about it or talk about it because I'm expecting answers. I just find it to be an interesting topic sometimes. If it turns into "analyze", it's lost it's appeal. :001_smile:

Oh, I know. :)

( but I wanted to be part of something :tongue_smilie:).

So, uh, you're bored at home today and feel like conversation?

You're commenting because you can?

Coz you're curious about other people's perspectives on why this is worth typing about?

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I'm a struggling Christian who is questioning my faith. I fluctuate between belief and doubt. If you want me to delete this, I will.

Why do we care so much about staying alive? For me, because I have kids. Because it's fun.

Why do we suffer so much when facing a loved one's death as if it were not a normal part of life? We don't want to see them suffer. We don't want to say good bye because we love them and will miss them horribly. We fear our own suffering and death.

Why do we take our day to day living for granted? Because we're tired, we do believe tomorrow will come, and lets face it: Life is hard.

I couldn't answer the others. I've had a very stressful day and have come here for unwinding and fluff. ;)

I don't think about it or talk about it because I'm expecting answers. I just find it to be an interesting topic sometimes. If it turns into "analyze", it's lost it's appeal. :001_smile:

I used to think it was an interesting topic as well. Maybe I have had too many conversations (with irl friends/family) in this vein that thinking about it has lost its appeal for me. Maybe if I let it rest long enough I can pick it up again some day. In the mean time, I do enjoy reading everyone else's answers. :)

I don't have a deep, philosphical conversation in me tonight so I will just comment on one thing. We take life for granted because it would be exhausting to do otherwise. If you lived every day like it was your last, you wouldn't last very long. Not to mention you would never get the mechanics of day to day life done. I don't know about you, but if I knew I was dying tomorrow, I sure as heck wouldn't be doing dishes and laundry today. ;)

What is Life?

A sexually transmitted disease ;)

Instinct.

Not sure what you mean here. Do you mean why do people believe they can conquer death? Probably because it makes them feel better. Personally I don't see death as an enemy or something bad. It's just part of life, same as birth, growing up and growing old.

That probably varies from one individual to the next. I would see purpose as something that we choose for ourselves because simply continuing our species is not enough of a purpose for a complicated animal like us.

Suffering is not the opposite of normal. Suffering is normal. It's part of being the kind of animal that can have emotions and experience love. The only way you can avoid suffering in life is to avoid ever becoming attached to anything (which is what some Buddhists espouse). Or be an animal that doesn't do emotions (eg a jellyfish). We all grieve when we lose what we love, whether through death or another event. This is why everyone grieves, even people who believe that the loved one has gone on to a better place.

Unsure. I don't think we all do. I try to remember that every day with my husband and children is a miraculous gift. (But I still have to do the washing up and pay the bills.)

Edited by Hotdrink

:iagree: Especially the big I bolded.

Maybe it's late, but I don't understand some of these questions, unless they are looked at from a religious perspective. And since I'm not religious, I am not coming at them from the same way as a religious person might.

What is Life?

I believe in the biology definition of life.

Fear? I haven't yet met anyone who feels ready to die.

Stupidity? or am I misreading this question? I don't live like I can conquer death.

Why must there be a purpose? And what's up with the capitalization?

Who wants to see someone leave life? Do I have to be religious to mourn my dad's death?

Because life is all we know. What else should we be doing?

What is Life?

Thanks.

Your questions reflect assumptions about others based on your beliefs. These are loaded questions. Why assume that others take their days for granted or that grief in the face of the death of a loved one should be what... stuffed? Sorry, I find your questions a bit insulting

Edited by Wildiris

Your questions reflect assumptions about others based on your beliefs. These are loaded questions. Why assume that others take their days for granted of that grief in the face of the death of a loved one should be what... stuffed? Sorry, I find your questions a bit insulting

For the sake of the OP's enlightenment, suppose you rewrite her questions into a neutral format so she'll know for next time.

Rosie

I'm not going to answer the questions directly, but I'll tell you what I think of life.

I think life is our chance to do good for others and ourselves and to enjoy it as much as possible. I don't think that's any different than most people think. Just because we don't believe the same as Christians doesn't mean we don't want the same things out of life. We want to be happy and healthy and surrounded by friends and family. I personally believe in reincarnation. Maybe not right away, meaning, when I die, I won't be born right again right away, but when it's time. What determines that time? I don't know, maybe the universe. Each life is a chance to do better and help others AND the universe in general.

When someone dies, I believe they will be reborn (and perhaps we'll meet again), but that doesn't mean I won't miss them in this life. Even though I believe differently I'm still human and have regular feelings.

There's more, but I haven't had breakfast yet and my pregnant brain is all foggy. :001_smile:

Life is the totality of all of existence, of which we are all miniscule parts, but like holograms- all containing the whole. But mostly, life is unknowable.

We care about staying alive because it is programmed into us. We dont have a choice. Even those who commit suicide care deeply, or they couldn't do it. However there are many who are virtually walking dead- but the program to stay alive is inbuilt and hard to override.

We live as though we can conquor death because of the illusion our minds create around us that we are separate, autonomous beings when we are actually totally interdependent and not separate from the whole of life.

There is no intrinsic purpose- we like to think there is because it makes us feel better- but we can create purpose for ourselves and give meaning to our lives. The sun has no purpose but to shine, the birds have no purpose but to be birds and live their lives and I honestly cant help but to feel they are often joyful...we also have no purpose but to just live. Thats not a bad thing- its not the same as meaninglessness and depression- in fact its quite freeing.

We are set up to form attachments- it's a part of survival- its genetically programmed. Otherwise we wouldnt reproduce and rear our young and form communities to protect them. Other species also bond and grieve their loved ones' deaths- we had a pair of ducks here recently and one accidentally killed. The other was just bereft for days. Elephants grieve very visibly. The thing is we think something is wrong when someone dies- as if its a big mistake and God got it wrong. Wheras other species just grieve. Its natural. Pain is a natural part of life- we turn it into suffering when we dont accept it and resist it, and we put beliefs and conditioned patterns on top of what is natural. So...we suffer because of our conditioning, but we grieve because it is natural. I distinguish between suffering- man made- and natural pain, which does pass if felt fully- in its own time, though.

We take our day to day living for granted because we can- perception of beauty and love and all the higher qualities are not necessary for survival- we have to cultivate them. Because we are set up as creatures of habit, we tend to get locked into certain patterns of perception and we stop seeing things freshly each moment. When did you last notice the sparkle of the water in the dogs bowl, or the exquisite pattern of a leaf, or smell the breeze, or notice the miracle of a plant growing through a crack in the pavement? Its all about percpetion, and we have to shake up and train ourselves out of habitual ruts, such as negative thinking- and focus on what is good and beautiful, in order not to take things for granted.

Your questions reflect assumptions about others based on your beliefs. These are loaded questions. Why assume that others take their days for granted or that grief in the face of the death of a loved one should be what... stuffed? Sorry, I find your questions a bit insulting

What???:confused:

I specifically said that ALL perspectives whether religious or not were welcome. (I only left out Christian because I am surrounded by Christians of all denominations and know their beliefs).

I am not coming at this from ANY assumptions and my questions are not loaded!

My question about suffering has nothing to do with "stuffing" emotions. I am asking about why humans grieve over death when it is so common. I grieve too and wonder how it can be that something that has been around from the beginning of time, happens consistently, is a known, etc., still seems like such a shock every time it happens.

My question about taking things for granted is because I see how often we just go about our business and worry about the future or zone out in the present and it seems strange to do that.

I am wondering about things aloud. I am not trying to insult anyone. :001_huh:

Your post is just completely off of the mark.

Life is the totality of all of existence, of which we are all miniscule parts, but like holograms- all containing the whole. But mostly, life is unknowable.

We care about staying alive because it is programmed into us. We dont have a choice. Even those who commit suicide care deeply, or they couldn't do it. However there are many who are virtually walking dead- but the program to stay alive is inbuilt and hard to override.

We live as though we can conquor death because of the illusion our minds create around us that we are separate, autonomous beings when we are actually totally interdependent and not separate from the whole of life.

There is no intrinsic purpose- we like to think there is because it makes us feel better- but we can create purpose for ourselves and give meaning to our lives. The sun has no purpose but to shine, the birds have no purpose but to be birds and live their lives and I honestly cant help but to feel they are often joyful...we also have no purpose but to just live. Thats not a bad thing- its not the same as meaninglessness and depression- in fact its quite freeing.

We are set up to form attachments- it's a part of survival- its genetically programmed. Otherwise we wouldnt reproduce and rear our young and form communities to protect them. Other species also bond and grieve their loved ones' deaths- we had a pair of ducks here recently and one accidentally killed. The other was just bereft for days. Elephants grieve very visibly. The thing is we think something is wrong when someone dies- as if its a big mistake and God got it wrong. Wheras other species just grieve. Its natural. Pain is a natural part of life- we turn it into suffering when we dont accept it and resist it, and we put beliefs and conditioned patterns on top of what is natural. So...we suffer because of our conditioning, but we grieve because it is natural. I distinguish between suffering- man made- and natural pain, which does pass if felt fully- in its own time, though.

We take our day to day living for granted because we can- perception of beauty and love and all the higher qualities are not necessary for survival- we have to cultivate them. Because we are set up as creatures of habit, we tend to get locked into certain patterns of perception and we stop seeing things freshly each moment. When did you last notice the sparkle of the water in the dogs bowl, or the exquisite pattern of a leaf, or smell the breeze, or notice the miracle of a plant growing through a crack in the pavement? Its all about percpetion, and we have to shake up and train ourselves out of habitual ruts, such as negative thinking- and focus on what is good and beautiful, in order not to take things for granted.

Excellent Peela. Thanks.

I don't have a deep, philosphical conversation in me tonight so I will just comment on one thing. We take life for granted because it would be exhausting to do otherwise. If you lived every day like it was your last, you wouldn't last very long. Not to mention you would never get the mechanics of day to day life done. I don't know about you, but if I knew I was dying tomorrow, I sure as heck wouldn't be doing dishes and laundry today. ;)

I like what the Shakers said:

"Do your work as though you had a thousand years to live and as if you were to die tomorrow."

That's the only way to get the laundry done while not taking life for granted! :)

Maybe it's late, but I don't understand some of these questions, unless they are looked at from a religious perspective. And since I'm not religious, I am not coming at them from the same way as a religious person might.

What is Life?

I believe in the biology definition of life.

Fear? I haven't yet met anyone who feels ready to die.

Stupidity? or am I misreading this question? I don't live like I can conquer death.

Why must there be a purpose? And what's up with the capitalization?

Who wants to see someone leave life? Do I have to be religious to mourn my dad's death?

Because life is all we know. What else should we be doing?

No one said you had to be religious to mourn. This is not a thread about religion. This is a thread where everyone WHO IS NOT A CHRISTIAN could state what they believe about life and purpose. I asked for all - from atheist to hindu - thoughts.

I capitalized the P because I just did. There was no secret meaning.

A lot of people that I know do act as if they can do enough, or own enough, or eat the right things enough, or exercise enough or.....whatever, and do not have to face their own mortality. They are disconnected from reality. Again, there was nothing here to insult anyone, just an honest question.

I'm not going to answer the questions directly, but I'll tell you what I think of life.

I think life is our chance to do good for others and ourselves and to enjoy it as much as possible. I don't think that's any different than most people think. Just because we don't believe the same as Christians doesn't mean we don't want the same things out of life. We want to be happy and healthy and surrounded by friends and family. I personally believe in reincarnation. Maybe not right away, meaning, when I die, I won't be born right again right away, but when it's time. What determines that time? I don't know, maybe the universe. Each life is a chance to do better and help others AND the universe in general.

When someone dies, I believe they will be reborn (and perhaps we'll meet again), but that doesn't mean I won't miss them in this life. Even though I believe differently I'm still human and have regular feelings.

There's more, but I haven't had breakfast yet and my pregnant brain is all foggy. :001_smile:

Thank you for sharing.

:)

What???:confused:

I specifically said that ALL perspectives whether religious or not were welcome. (I only left out Christian because I am surrounded by Christians of all denominations and know their beliefs).

I am not coming at this from ANY assumptions and my questions are not loaded!

My question about suffering has nothing to do with "stuffing" emotions. I am asking about why humans grieve over death when it is so common. I grieve too and wonder how it can be that something that has been around from the beginning of time, happens consistently, is a known, etc., still seems like such a shock every time it happens.

My question about taking things for granted is because I see how often we just go about our business and worry about the future or zone out in the present and it seems strange to do that.

I am wondering about things aloud. I am not trying to insult anyone. :001_huh:

Your post is just completely off of the mark.

I am not off the mark. Perhaps your name reveals much--rookie

Taking Rosie's lead you could have rephrased one of your questions as

Does man/woman have purpose. What is meant by purpose? How would you define purpose?

I do not think people "live to conquer death." This is a silly question.

Death is shocking. What don't you understand about that. Very insensitive question. Are you playing too many video game in your off hours from homeschooling??

What is Life? It is the time when this machine we call a body is working.

Why do we care so much about staying alive? We enjoy it and are aware that our absence would hurt others.

Why do we live as if we can conquer death? We want to continue to live (see above) but I don't think I live as if I can conquer death - I try to be realistic.

What is Purpose and why does it matter? Purpose? I live to enjoy myself (which includes living morally) and help others to fulfil their own wishes.

Why do we suffer so much when facing a loved one's death as if it were not a normal part of life? Death is the end - we don't want to lose them

Why do we take our day to day living for granted? I try not to, but life is habitual and habituation deadens our perceptions.

Thanks.

Laura

Does man/woman have purpose. What is meant by purpose? How would you define purpose?

Death is shocking. What don't you understand about that. Very insensitive question. Are you playing too many video game in your off hours from homeschooling??

Defensive? Rude? Self-absorbed? Close-minded? Crabby?

When you find a post like mine in the future - one that is not crafted the way you like with the wording you would prefer -- you can always choose to move on. Go ahead and click off of any thread where I have not met your standards for asking questions.

You could not be more dead wrong about everything from the content to the tone of your posts.

Man!!!

I hope you don't treat people like this in real life! Or that when your kids come to you with questions and thoughts, you don't tell them their questions are silly (even if they are).

And I have to disagree with you on people who "live to conquer death". I think it's a central theme for humans. From ancient egyptians to cryonics. It's found in legends, literature, music, science, it's everywhere.

Rookie (cheap shot on her name by the way), could ask this question referencing The Epic of Gilgamesh, or a more modern concept like the cosmetics industry, it's a very good question that people are always talking about.

Edited by helena

No one said you had to be religious to mourn. This is not a thread about religion. This is a thread where everyone WHO IS NOT A CHRISTIAN could state what they believe about life and purpose. I asked for all - from atheist to hindu - thoughts.

Well I didn't mean to offend you with my answers. Because you specifically said you wanted to hear from others who were not a Christian, I assumed you were talking about any other or a non religious person, about religion. But the way your questions were worded, I was led to believe that you were asking how those things play in the life of a person who is not a Christian, asking WHY we believe or don't believe something. For example, a religious person might have a different perspective on purpose then a non-religious person, just my guess. And the capital 'P' was seen by several of us because there were no capitals anywhere else. It put an emphasis on the question like if a person wasn't a Christian, how would they find a purpose in their life. For me, I have no ultimate purpose. I just am... I'm a person, I'm alive. I don't need some higher purpose to get me through life. Life itself is interesting enough and motivating enough for me to want to lead a good life.