Menu

A classical education is timeless- not old fashioned... right?

creekmom

The only real daily use I saw of smartboards in my PS was that they used it for lunch count in the morning. I think they are overated. By the time my kids get out of school they will be as useful as cassette tapes! I don't stress technology as DH is COO of his tech company. He can handle the computer thing. :D

If they are going into math then they had better know how to use a TI-83 (4 etc) or they will be LOST in college calculus.

This is actually false. Most college calculus classes (at least those geared toward science/engineering majors) do not allow calculator use. I know that was the case for my ds and based on the number of posts on the high school board on this topic, it is very common to not allow use of calculators in cal.

I think it really depends on what your kids want to do in college - if they go to college. If they want to do science then they had better know how to make a PowerPoint poster and a presentation to go with it.

Frankly, I don't see PowerPoint going away any time soon. I use it every single day and there are so many add-on programs to PP that there is no way they will phase it out. In fact PP 2010 just came out. (And looks great in my opinion - I can't wait to get it).

If they want to do business then they had better know Excel spreadsheets. Again, I don't see Excel being replaced - updated YES, but replaced no. Not any time soon.

If they are going into math then they had better know how to use a TI-83 (4 etc) or they will be LOST in college calculus.

If they want to do art then they have a choice - do they want the traditional starving artist path with paint and pastels, or do they want to do graphic design? If graphic design, then they better know a little bit about Illustrator, Photoshop, Draw etc.

So it really depends. We are technology oriented and my son wants to be an artist so this year (8th grade) he is learning Corel Draw and painter as well as 2-D animation on Toon Boom. Friday is nothing but technology and art in our house. He will also do a PowerPoint poster this winter for his science fair project - it's just good to have them prepared and not limit their choices in my opinion. PowerPoint posters are pretty typical, even in freshman year.

The examples you give, though, are things that will be taught in early college classes.

For example, the current art technology will be taught in any beginning graphic design program. The student who has previous experience may excel in the first class or two, because they are familiar with a similar program, but a student who knows how[/i] to learn will excel in any class, anyway.

Students going into business will have a course in technology in the first year of college. It will cover spreadsheets among other topics. The student who knows Excel may have a few weeks advantage over the student who has never seen it before. The student who can't read, write, and speak properly, though will have a disadvantage their entire college career. I think it's fine to give them some basic technology skills in high school, but I don't think we should think that this is the key to success or failure in college and life, as the public schools seem to think. And I think that is the point of this discussion: not that we shouldn't allow interested students access to technology, but that our well-educated dc are not likely to fall behind without it.

I think it really depends on what your kids want to do in college - if they go to college. If they want to do science then they had better know how to make a PowerPoint poster and a presentation to go with it.

Frankly, I don't see PowerPoint going away any time soon. I use it every single day and there are so many add-on programs to PP that there is no way they will phase it out. In fact PP 2010 just came out. (And looks great in my opinion - I can't wait to get it).

If they want to do business then they had better know Excel spreadsheets. Again, I don't see Excel being replaced - updated YES, but replaced no. Not any time soon.

If they want to do art then they have a choice - do they want the traditional starving artist path with paint and pastels, or do they want to do graphic design? If graphic design, then they better know a little bit about Illustrator, Photoshop, Draw etc.

Meh. These programs are not rocket science. They are quite easy to learn and use. I took exactly one computer course, ever. It was Pascal programming, on a dumb terminal with no graphics whatsoever. It was the first time I'd touched a computer and I was 18yo, and I never took another computer course.

When I graduated, I went to work for a software company. I taught myself graphic design and worked in marketing doing graphic design with Photoshop, Quark, etc. for a number of years. I created my company's first website - I taught myself how. I did lots of Powerpoint. Just turned opened the program and figured it out. I also figured out Excel with no problems.

If anything, the new technology has only become more user-friendly and intuitive. I'm not "teaching" my kids much on the computer, but they have one and they figure it out. I did buy them a typing program, and they used it, but I didn't have to teach it. They've taught themselves all kind of things.

I think the schools taking valuable time to "teach" computer skills is a phenomenal waste of time. 9 times out of 10 the kids already have it figured out better than the teacher anyway.

I would buy her a movie where an EMP devastates all computers. :D Then tell her that your kids are prepared for all emergencies. :smilielol5:

Power Point is only a skill if you are doing presentations-sales and management mostly. Plus it just isn't that hard to learn. These programs are created to be user friendly. They aren't going to get you anything but an entry level job.

The workforce is after a good minds and solid skills. Classical does this. Their is a place for plug and play, probably not at the top of the food chain, KWIM?

Heather

This is actually false. Most college calculus classes (at least those geared toward science/engineering majors) do not allow calculator use. I know that was the case for my ds and based on the number of posts on the high school board on this topic, it is very common to not allow use of calculators in cal.

When I was in calculus a TI-83 was mandatory. Just my own personal experience. And it is much harder to learn to both use your calculator and your math than it is to learn just one at a time.

When I was in calculus a TI-83 was mandatory. Just my own personal experience. And it is much harder to learn to both use your calculator and your math than it is to learn just one at a time.

Same here, though 20 years ago and I was a business major. They did have separate classes for math/engineers/science majors and that might have required you not use a calculator.

Heather

Meh. These programs are not rocket science. They are quite easy to learn and use. I took exactly one computer course, ever. It was Pascal programming, on a dumb terminal with no graphics whatsoever. It was the first time I'd touched a computer and I was 18yo, and I never took another computer course.

When I graduated, I went to work for a software company. I taught myself graphic design and worked in marketing doing graphic design with Photoshop, Quark, etc. for a number of years. I created my company's first website - I taught myself how. I did lots of Powerpoint. Just turned opened the program and figured it out. I also figured out Excel with no problems.

If anything, the new technology has only become more user-friendly and intuitive. I'm not "teaching" my kids much on the computer, but they have one and they figure it out. I did buy them a typing program, and they used it, but I didn't have to teach it. They've taught themselves all kind of things.

I think the schools taking valuable time to "teach" computer skills is a phenomenal waste of time. 9 times out of 10 the kids already have it figured out better than the teacher anyway.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I learned too. I've never taken a class in PowerPoint or graphic design or web design or html or Joomla or ANY computer class actually, yet they are now my whole business. So no - I don't think you need computer classes - but if a kid never has exposure to these programs they will never have a chance to "figure it out".

If they never make a large scale format PowerPoint poster, then that is one more thing they need to know when their biology teacher says make a poster presentation on anthrax (my true life experience) or when they get to grad school and MUST give scientific presentations to hundreds of people using PowerPoint, again my true life experience. This is the gold standard in both business and science. I mean what are you going to substitute it with? Unless you want to go even further with RocketSlide or something like that - it is PowerPoint they will use.

My son does take online classes for Corel Draw, Painter, and Toon Boom because frankly it's a lot easier to have someone show you how in a video where you can follow along on your computer than it is to "figure it out". Especially when you are 13. We are actually hoping to get all the way to Maya before he graduates high school. When we started these classes this year he was like "I don't need classes - I can just play around with it and figure it out!" Now Friday is his favorite day. He loves them and it is a much more productive use of time to learn the ins and outs first than it is to play around with the stamper tool for hours on end.

In fact I am learning a new program right now called ChemDoodle and there is a large learning curve when you first begin. This is true with all software. Why make your child deal with the learning curve of software and the new classroom material at the same time if they don't have to?

I think a classical education is timeless but isn't the whole point of homeschool to make your student's experience as individualized as possible? If a student might require PowerPoint in the future I really don't see how a homeschool parent could justify NOT teaching them. Especially if the only reason is that it doesn't "fit into" the Classical Education model.

(Whatever that is.)

I'll give you the upper-level calculator. Personally, I'd love to skip it, but unlike software, that one's got a steeper learning curve, and many tests are designed assuming you're proficient.

My kids are in pre-Algebra this year, and I bought them a TI scientific calculator that we'll use just for select problems. Supposedly this one has a similar layout to the TI graphing calculators, so the learning curve won't be so steep when they get there.

I refuse though to just hand them the calculator and let them use it for everything, or spend most of the year teaching calculator use instead of math concepts (which I'd be surprised if any hsers did, but I've heard rumors of stuff like that going on in the schools... hearsay, I know...)

I learned to use a TI-84 in high school. It didn't help me understand calculus one bit!:tongue_smilie: I don't remember struggling to use the calculator, but I do know that I floated through the entire class plugging numbers and never comprehending. jme. Same for physics...what a waste of an opportunity!:confused:

A classical education cannot be gained in a semester. Most of technology can be learned in less. I'm working my tail off to give my dc something I didn't have, something very few people of their generation will own, something better.

My grandpa has owned a computer from my first memories...my how they have changed. I remember when a modem was high-tech, and I remember him making banners out of that paper that connected in one long scroll...anyway... My brother grew up playing on Grandpa's computers, and I guarantee the *learning experience* of figuring things out on his own is integral to what he does now (He built my last computer btw.) but the actual programs that he figured out are *ANCIENT!* It's the process...

I'll give you the upper-level calculator. Personally, I'd love to skip it, but unlike software, that one's got a steeper learning curve, and many tests are designed assuming you're proficient.

My kids are in pre-Algebra this year, and I bought them a TI scientific calculator that we'll use just for select problems. Supposedly this one has a similar layout to the TI graphing calculators, so the learning curve won't be so steep when they get there.

I refuse though to just hand them the calculator and let them use it for everything, or spend most of the year teaching calculator use instead of math concepts (which I'd be surprised if any hsers did, but I've heard rumors of stuff like that going on in the schools... hearsay, I know...)

Yeah, we are doing algebra this year too but no calculator at all! I refuse to teach the calculator until I have to. But I do let him use it for science because that's how it's done in the real word. He has a cheaper scientific calculator but he likes my TI-83 because it can do the problems easier and I like it becasue it is like my old friend. :D

I went back to school when I was 30 and I can still remember my HORROR when the 18 year old students in my college algebra class could already use the calculators and I had NO IDEA! I was panicked!

I never want my child to feel that way!

Actually, my ds breezed through the course b/c he knew how to do math and learn the concepts. The kids that floundered were the calculator dependent kids that didn't know how to graph functions. Their knowledge was limited to punching numbers in a calculator and viola.....the answer was there. That takes zero understanding of math. You can't graph functions manually if you don't know what you are doing.

I think most kids today are tech savvy and really don't need instruction. My kids show me how to do all sorts of stuff in excel and word that I have never used. My oldest had no problems learning to use his TI 84 w/o ever having had instruction on it.

One exception to the calculus/calculator that I am aware of is the AP cal exam which does have 4 problems that require a graphing calculator. (I think it is 4, not positive on the number) But, it also has sections where they cannot use the calculator as well. It is a bigger problem to have them use the calculator as a crutch vs. learning how to plug in formulas.

Typing is the biggest skill that I think that needs addressing beyond a typical "classical" ed course list. They definitely need to be able to type with proficiency.

ETA: Oh, and I forgot......after he learned to use his TI, he really started using a computer program called Maple for most of his work and not his TI at all. He had to learn how to use it, but again, it was no big deal and it is far more efficient than a calculator for engineering majors. I guess the main thing is just don't sweat the small stuff. If I had a kid that was computer phobic......then I would make a conscious decision to help them learn how to use it. My kids all seem to take to it like learning to walk......doesn't take long before they are running and leaving me chasing after them!! :)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

Hee, hee... just watch Jay Leno's "Jay walking" and you'll see the results of "modern" education. I majored in Elem. Education in college and really, you are brainwashed to believe education can only take place a certain way (usually the "flavor of the day" type philosophies). I went to a really good private college, known for turning out excellent teachers and this was still true. I went on and got my master's degree right out of college. I will tell you I've learned more about teaching in the past 2 years hsing my 4 children than I learned in all those years of schooling! In fact, I had to "undo" many of the things I did learn in order to teach my children the way I now believe children should be educated....

PS educators are very resistant to anything outside of the PS. Don't doubt yourself after talking to one! In fact, my friends who I have from the "education world" where I used to "live" have an unspoken rule we just don't talk about education! :D

I think most kids today are tech savvy and really don't need instruction. My kids show me how to do all sorts of stuff in excel and word that I have never used. My oldest had no problems learning to use his TI 84 w/o ever having had instruction on it.

Yes, but the actual critical thing in this sentence is that they have access to figure it out. No Excel access, then no figuring it out. ;)

Powerpoint presentations and website are only good if you have something to say, right?

You are teaching them to think and to learn. With these skills they will have no problems with picking up whatever latest fad they need. On the other hand, learning technology that will be obsolete tomorrow will not get them very far.

Love this response!

Krista

Oh please.

Those technology items are just presentation tools. They are the not even the icing on the cake; rather, they are the decoration on the icing on the cake. The cake is the content--classical ed teaches and organizes content like nothing else. The icing is the organization of the presentation--with outlining and logic, classical ed organizes content like nothing else. The decorations on the icing on the cake could be written reports, outlines, speeches, logical papers, or Powerpoints.

We are not living under a rock making our kids mine their own chalk for cute little chalkboards handcarved from native rocks. Our presentations are just fine, whether they are academic papers or outlines or whatever. Powerpoint can be learned in about 15 minutes, and should not be worshipped as all that helpful unless and until you really have something good to say.

:lol::lol::lol:

Just wanted to say the my ds, 14yo, is taking a class online (Health Opportunities through Physical Fitness) and had to do a "project" on Powerpoint; it was worth 25% of his Unit Grade. He's never touched PP. He completed the project in less than 2 hours and made a 100%. He still only knows the very basics, but he figured it out, even though we don't spend a ton of time on computer teaching or tech savy in my house (I'm a stickler for book learnin') All that to say again, PP --- whoopty-do. I know he only scratched the surface, but the hype regarding "value" goes right back to what a pp said, PP was like a digital poster board in this case and really was NO BIG DEAL ;)

She doesn't want to start watching more tv and reading lower-level books just to have something to talk about with 9 yo girls.

I wish that were the case here. Mine, on the other hand, wants to know why we don't watch I Carly and why we have to read so much! She does, at least, think it's stupid that her 6 and 8 yo cousins have "boyfriends."

I would much rather suffer "Death by War and Peace" or "Death by Ovid", than "Death by PowerPoint." After sitting through 7 fun-filled weeks of training for my fed gov't job, I find PP a particuarly successful torture device - especially when it was filled with poorly written/edited slides that contained outdated information.

Anywho...a classic education is timeles, not dated. Technology is constantly evolving and the basics of it are very easy to learn on the fly. Understanding the nuances of a political speech is not so easy.

:lol::lol::lol:

Just wanted to say the my ds, 14yo, is taking a class online (Health Opportunities through Physical Fitness) and had to do a "project" on Powerpoint; it was worth 25% of his Unit Grade. He's never touched PP. He completed the project in less than 2 hours and made a 100%. He still only knows the very basics, but he figured it out, even though we don't spend a ton of time on computer teaching or tech savy in my house (I'm a stickler for book learnin') All that to say again, PP --- whoopty-do. I know he only scratched the surface, but the hype regarding "value" goes right back to what a pp said, PP was like a digital poster board in this case and really was NO BIG DEAL ;)

I guess I would be more concerned about how productive an online class is where a student can earn 25% of their grade in two hours. But that's just me.

I was an online teacher for University of Phoenix for a semester and that was the same attitude they took on the PowerPoint presentations too. Needless to say - and I'm sure there are people who learned a lot from UOP I only stayed for one semester for a variety of reasons - that class was a total waste of people's money. And it wasn't the teacher (me) because I had to do whatever they told me to do. The PowerPoints were almost ALWAYS the final project worth a huge number of points.

So yes - I see the point that if there is no substance then the PP is useless, but it is far more productive to have experience in technology than not. Just my opinion.

Any kid who has been brought up on copywork and dictation will be able to write well, the school model of expecting creativity before kids are ready makes writing a chore and turns many children off writing in a way that is hard to overcome.

Thank you for that reminder! I was giving a copy of my states Grade Level Expectations and the writing section had me worried. I don't know why I even read that drivel! Most of it didn't make sense to me because it was written in language that would only make sense if you were teaching writing the schools way. Most kids aren't going to be creative writers, but yet the schools demand that be something they are not. If they can write a clear narrative and letter in elementary school then I think they are good to go!

Well, you could also look at it from another perspective. When I was in high school, the powers-that-be suddenly decided that every student needed a computer class in order to be "prepared" for the technology of the future....... We spent 1 hour/day for an entire year learning the history of computers in.agonizing.detail and basic programming. We learned how to build our own spreadsheets, code a basic game and whatnot all on the Apple IIe!

I took that class my sophomore year and what I learned was obsolete by the time I graduated. Technology changes so fast that whatever these elementary kids are learning will probably be of no use to them by the time they enter high school, much less the work force!

One of the skills from high school I use most is typing... which I took on a basic electric typewriter, talk about old-fashioned. A keyboard is a keyboard. No matter how the various things attached to it change, the keys are still in the same place! A classically-educated child knows where the keys to understanding and knowledge are and that is something that will never change no matter what they need to learn what to do/use.

• 5 months later...

The essential question is whether you want to cultivate her human faculties or whether you want to teach her how to use soon to be obsolete technologies. Heck, the keyboard might be gone in five years.

She'll still need to be human. And the better she is at that, the better she is at what she does.

3. By developing a rich "life of the mind", I think we are less likely to be led to wasteful, dangerous, shortsighted activities, and children today are steeped up to their ears in such temptations.

I wholeheartedly agree with Kalanmak. Having been brought up in a family that valued learning and who sent me to a classical high school, I feel like I could never be bored. There is just so much to learn! As my husband said the other day, "You are one of the happiest people I know. It's probably because you are so curious, you could be happy just studying grass!"

So many other people in my acquaintance seem to gravitate to trivial or destructive activities, seemingly because they have no curiosity, no life of the mind, that would enable them to find richness in learning about the wonders of history, science, literature, nature, art or culture. A classical education is a wonderful vaccine against banality.

:) Me too! This thread is a great source of comfort to me. It has given me renewed appreciation for the choice we made to follow the classical path.

This thread has encouraged me as well! I am the OP, and I wanted to share a conversation I had with this sister a few days ago. Although the elementary school her kids go to is excellent, the middle school is FAR from ideal. I was on the phone with her the other day when she said, "We're thinking about putting ds in a private school for ms. It's classical. So they start out in the "logic stage" and they really teach them how to think-- with logic and Latin, and...." She was trying to "educate" ME on what classical ed. is when I interrupted her with, "Yes- I know. That's what I do!! Classical!!?? Remember???!! My ds is learning Latin and logic and..." She responded with a very casual, "Oh, yeah." :glare:

Guest RecumbentHeart
This thread has encouraged me as well! I am the OP, and I wanted to share a conversation I had with this sister a few days ago. Although the elementary school her kids go to is excellent, the middle school is FAR from ideal. I was on the phone with her the other day when she said, "We're thinking about putting ds in a private school for ms. It's classical. So they start out in the "logic stage" and they really teach them how to think-- with logic and Latin, and...." She was trying to "educate" ME on what classical ed. is when I interrupted her with, "Yes- I know. That's what I do!! Classical!!?? Remember???!! My ds is learning Latin and logic and..." She responded with a very casual, "Oh, yeah." :glare:

What an interesting course of events. :)

What a great thread....once in awhile, I talk with another mom, and I think "what in the world am I doing?? my daughter will be so weird when we start Latin, etc." So this was great to read. Especially when my mil questions me WHY dd is learning Latin when everyone else is either learning Spanish or nothing at this age.

One of the skills from high school I use most is typing... which I took on a basic electric typewriter, talk about old-fashioned. A keyboard is a keyboard. No matter how the various things attached to it change, the keys are still in the same place! .

Only until the powers that be can figure out a "better" arrangement of the keys! j/k

(her kids' elementary classrooms have smart boards now- whatever that is). Her son does powerpoint presentations and creates web pages, etc.

Haven't read all the other replies yet, but I have to chime in. I teach computers part time at my sons public school. I have grades 3,4,5.

I have a smart board, so far I have only used it as an overhead projector where I can touch the board instead of using the mouse on my laptop. They are cool, but seriously, they are a tool. If my kid's teachers acted like they were going to revolutionize the education my kid is getting, I'd laugh.

Now, powerpoint. I teach PP, Word, Excel. My DH had to teach my PP and Excell when I got the job. ;) Not kidding. (I'm not a computer expert or a certified teacher. Out technology budget was cut, but our principal thinks it is important that the kids have time in the computer labs to learn computer skills.) I have spent the last 4 weeks on PP with 3rd and 4th. The slide shows they made were okay. All the elements of Powerpoint: pictures, text, colored backgrounds, transitions between slides. A few even show a kid with a great eye for design. But the content...well, that is disappointing. When I look over their presentations, I don't have to correct anything about the program, but I am spending a lot of time correcting simple grammar, explaining complete sentences, etc.

And professionally, a simple presentation with good, strong content is going to go over much better than bells and whistles with content that makes no sense.

... I was on the phone with her the other day when she said, "We're thinking about putting ds in a private school for ms. It's classical. So they start out in the "logic stage" and they really teach them how to think-- with logic and Latin, and...." She was trying to "educate" ME on what classical ed. is when I interrupted her with, "Yes- I know. That's what I do!! Classical!!?? Remember???!! My ds is learning Latin and logic and..." She responded with a very casual, "Oh, yeah." :glare:

:lol: This is HILARIOUS!

But it reminds me of how much of an expert I was about child-rearing when I didn't have any kids. :D I'm sure my ex-SIL could tell you a boat-load of stories about my superior attitude issues. ("Why can't your just-turned-one-year-old talk (in complete sentences) yet?") I've conveniently forgotten those days. I'm sure your sister has forgotten her talking-down of the classical education you are giving your kids. :tongue_smilie:

I used to be a teacher and I feel I was a very good one at that. I like the Classical approach in many ways, BUT..I think it is never a good idea to put your eggs all in one basket. I don't like to say I use any one approach or method. I use a combination of methods that given my students, my personality, my goals, etc. will get the job done. I have learned a lot as a public school teacher, private school teacher, and homeschooling mom. I wouldn't trade any of it. There are strong and weak points in all of it. I am soooo glad I have a degree in education and have studied child development. I have no idea whether it is truly needed or not for a homeschooling mom. It seems like many people here are very comfortable and well versed with what they need to do for their children, but I don't have experience as a homeschool mom without my previous experience as a teacher so I really can't comment on what the difference would be. My educational philosophy is constructivist. This is what I have always put on my resume. This philosophy can encompass many different methods to accomplsh the task. As long as I keep myself aligned with my philosophy, I feel solid in any approach that I use....some of which in Classical.

On the other hand, learning technology that will be obsolete tomorrow will not get them very far.

I spent 4 years learning Shorthand at school,typing on electric(oooH Ahh) typewriters and balancing accounts in books. All of these skills were useless within a few years after I graduated due to the introduction of computers, dictophones and spreadsheets. I taught myself to use them all -no big deal. I barely touched a computer at school -there certainly was no internet then yet now I have my own webpage and my own blog. I went through Uni and word processed all my assignments. If you need to use it you can figure it out pretty easily - most things come with instruction manuals ;) and it's easy enough to take a short course.

My DD's kindy has a smart board - it's nothing more then an interactive overhead projector. The teachers use it to project things on the wall just they like always have. The kids get a kick out of being able to touch the screen and make it do things - whoopee. My DH is a teacher - he has a smartboard at work - it is very valuable to him as a teacher and he finds it a useful tool. However it's only been in the school 2 years - my DH had to teach himself to use it - he went to one 2 hours workshop and had it figured out - it's not rocket science.

I wish I had spent less time learning Shorthand and more time learning how to write a proper essay. Then maybe I wouldn't have nearly flunked out of Uni in the first semester because I didn't know how to write a University standard paper (I picked it up pretty quickly though). Universities run computer and technology classes every semester - if your kid doesn't know how to use something they can learn it quick enough.

Not being up to date with technology is just not a valid reason to stop homeschooling.

I don't think it has to be one or the other. We're getting my DD a Kindle for her birthday--technology I not only don't have, but have been avoiding. (I really like books... paper books... I do have a few books on my free PC/Android Kindle app, though.) Anyway, we're getting her the Kindle, because there are so many free classics available through it. So, we're getting her new technology, to aid in her classical education. We do the same with the computer, or our TV, or...whatever. As long as we realize that technology is a tool to be used, I don't see why classical education and technology can't be compatible. The key is to teach children how to use it responsibly, IMO.

When I first started homeschooling I was more or less trying to replicate the way the public schools did things....same subjects, segregated classes by age, 6 hours a day, etc.....

How liberating it was too all of a sudden realize one day (quite recently, actually :001_smile:) that I could do whatever I wanted. If I wasn't going for their results, why use their methods?

I love this thread.....it's very enabling :D

Ahhhh . . . nothing like irony!! :lol:

I think it is much more likely that Power Point will be obsolete when our children are in the workforce than being able speak, read, and write well will be out of date....

I am sure whatever new technological "thing" is needed to be sucessful in the work place, my children will be able to figure it out.

:iagree:

If you have 99 cents and an hour or so, I recommend downloading SWB's lecture The Joy of Classical Education. It's likely nothing you haven't already heard, but after listening to it last week, I felt re-inspired regarding the neo-classical path we're on.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/the-joy-of-classical-education-introduction-to-classical-education-at-home-mp3.html

:iagree:

Guest RecumbentHeart
I don't think it has to be one or the other. We're getting my DD a Kindle for her birthday--technology I not only don't have, but have been avoiding. (I really like books... paper books... I do have a few books on my free PC/Android Kindle app, though.) Anyway, we're getting her the Kindle, because there are so many free classics available through it. So, we're getting her new technology, to aid in her classical education. We do the same with the computer, or our TV, or...whatever. As long as we realize that technology is a tool to be used, I don't see why classical education and technology can't be compatible. The key is to teach children how to use it responsibly, IMO.

Classical education has nothing to do with avoiding technology - that's not what the ladies are talking about. The issue is really what school time is spent on teaching - how to use the PowerPoint program or how to produce content that could make a PowerPoint presentation worth presenting. The point is that many schools are extremely misguided in their time management and priorities because children are learning to work programs like PowerPoint which may or may not be around when they graduate but have nothing coherent and/or of value to say. The technology can be picked up rather simply as needed but the skills of learning, thinking and communicating, not so much.