Menu

Anyone have college kids living at home?

Pam L in Mid Tenn

He's got classes 5 days a week. When we were setting up his classes I tried to give him some advice but he didn't want me to help. When he did register he ended up with a 3 hr break on MWF and a 4 hr break on TT. Now that he's actually taking the classes he's told me he wished he had listened to me. He has asked me to help him next time. The hardest thing is to treat him like an adult. I still want to run his life, like see his syllabus, remind him when his papers are due, give him advice on this or that. It's really hard to sit on your hands but I have been able to so far. If he were living at a college I wouldn't be able to do all those things easier so I'm trying to treat him like he's at college and give his some privacy.

My oldest commutes, 5 days a week. We have a state university that's 20 minutes away. He's often gone from early morning to after dinner. He's involved with a couple of clubs, campus ministry, and likes to hang out some too, which is good for him.

My oldest is starting her second year at a Catholic Liberal Arts college about an hour from home via bus/subway. She has classes 5 days per week this year, same as last year.

It can be hard but we are both happy that she is not paying for a dorm and meal plan!!!

Does my DH count? He's a freshman this year, with a full course load at ASU and working full time at his cruddy restaurant job. We really wish he could cut his hours, but the job he's in won't do it and we can't afford for him to just quit to look for another one, and he doesn't have time to look for another one while working and going to school... he's already afraid he's falling behind in Japanese. His schedule is totally crazy and we're trying to work it out still.

One had been living at home for three years and the other one year. This year, the older ds moved to a house w/3 other guys. The other ds went away to college in Chicago. I enjoyed having them around very much while they lived here. They came and went whenever they wanted but they were very respectful of our bedtime and mealtime routines. I miss them but don't think I would really want them back. They're just too big for the nest somehow:)

My oldest is in her final year at the community college -- she will graduate in the spring -- and she lives at home.

She's hoping to transfer to our local 4-year college next fall to complete her Bachelor's in Psychology because she knows it would be less expensive for us than to transfer to a school where she'd need room & board.

A very wise move in today's economy!

DD is in paramedic school at a university hospital within driving distance. She's saving money for nursing school at a top tier institution that we couldn't afford and won't be able to commute once she starts full time. So, she will have to move into the dorms. I must say that I have enjoyed this year of her commuting. She'll have one more year of this as well. When my mom had major surgery, she moved in there (two blocks away) and nursed her along when she wasn't in class. It was wonderful.

I think with the economy the way it is and lots of cuts to federal and state financial aid, we'll see more kids commuting.

Fath

about the college journey of my middle dd this past year, but I have an older ds who is in his fourth semester of college. (It won't work out to a four year road for him, so it's hard to label him by year. ;) )

He is working and taking CC classes while living at home. It's going to be a rough semester as he figures out what he can manage and how much is too much as this is his first time to be an employee and a student concurrently. I'm hoping it will yield good things!

My son was originally away at school but he transferred to a local state college when we moved up here. He is taking classes five days a week since he is taking Japanese this semester (6 credit course). None of my other two will be living at home since we can't be depended on to live in any one place for four years.

My second is in university and has about a 3 hr commute round trip. I drive him to the train station at 6:40 where he takes the train for about 35 -45 min, then he has to take a metro to school. The return is a little longer as he has to take a bus home from the train station due to rush hour traffic.

In spite of all that transport time he has done really well both years so far (eg good grades in spite of 50 % failure rate for freshman, winning prizes in competitions, etc). I think it helps to have a stable home situation and he doesn't have food and other logistics to deal with. Not all, but a certain percent do the same, so he doesn't feel like he is the only one. Also, it is more common to live at home here....

Joan

My oldest is starting as a freshman next week. She'll be commuting -- 20 minutes by bike until the roads get icy. After that she'll probably carpool with my husband.

She's been doing college classes for the past 2 years, sometimes 3 a semester, but this is the first she's actually enrolled full time. Her schedule is a little packed. Too many lab courses and musical ensembles.

I have 2 full time college students at home and one living away. My youngest dd is a freshmen at our CC and my oldest dd will graduate this spring from a local university with a teaching degree. My oldest ds lives 350 miles away and is working on a double doctorate.

God bless,

Vicki

I have 2 college kids living home. They're both scheduled to graduate in May- oldest from Catholic liberal arts college 10 minutes away, youngest from community college 20 minutes away. Youngest will then attend 4-yr univ as a third yr college student, where she'll do a 30 minute commute. Oldest is thinking of grad school next year but we don't yet know where.

Having them live home while in college has worked fine for them and for us.