Menu

Have you lost weight and kept it off?

I've lost a total of 40 pounds since 2007. I had had my fourth child and the last 40 pounds just weren't coming off. It was so depressing!!! So, I started working out first. I started walking and then running. That took off around 15 pounds pretty fast. But, then I plateaued.

Then, I started Weight Watchers. This is my new way of life. I don't really have to do the strict counting that I used to do anymore. I just know what a normal portion is now. The rest of the weight came off pretty fast with WW.

I've been able to maintain it quite easily by weighing myself every morning. This way, I can see if the pounds start creeping on and start watching what I eat very carefully again.

Good luck!!!

I'll second the vote for Weight Watchers. It's a great way to learn about portion control and healthy eating while not depriving yourself of any one food group or treats.

I couldn't afford WW, but I was very blessed to have a friend who had "graduated" from WW and she let me have her points calculator and the basic information & guidelines to follow. I'm a DIY kind of person anyway, so this worked for me.

If you want to count something <smile>, then count how many acid causing things you eat and keep that number as low as possible. It's one thing to have a coffee or some chicken or cheese on occasion, but try to make the majority of your foods be alkalizing ones. An alkaline environment will help prevent disease and aid in weight loss :)

BTW, fruits and veggies, in general, are alkalizing. :)

If you are eating nutrient dense foods (veggies, fruits, beans, etc), chances are, you will be unable to eat so much as to eat too many calories. For example, Eat to Live has you eating one POUND of raw veggies, one POUND of cooked veggies, 4 fruits, a cup of beans, a cup of grains/starchy veggies, and a few other small things. It's a LOT of food, but all GOOD for you food. And there are a few different plans so if you want a little bit of animal products, you can. It's easy to make a lifestyle as you can do the diet for the most part (ie, eat healthy), but it's okay to have some chocolate cake and steak on occasion.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I have lost 55 and even if I stop counting or whatever it stays off. I count calories. I loved weight watchers, but why check 3 numbers and mush it into one? all diets break down to calories in versus calories out.

It truly needs to be a life change, not a diet. You have to eat healthier no matter what program you choose. You have to go for filling foods so that you are not starving all day. You have to relearn portions and you have to exercise. When I made this weight loss about getting healthy and changed my mindset, thats when it all stuck. I can go a week without counting and I dont gain because I retrained myself how to eat and what to eat. I do not want sugar anymore. I do not like fatty, salty, crappy foods. I DETEST fast food unless its subway. And I rarely ever want t adrink besides water. I hated exercise, now my body begs for it. I got rid of my asthma and rarely ever have allergy problems anymore!

You can reset your mind and bidy!!

I third the WW recommendation. I have lost 36 pounds since February and am within 6 pounds of my goal weight. I can live as a family with WW, not having to cook twice or blow the diet. I do think it has to be a lifestyle change.

For me personally, I was only successful when I actually went to the meetings. Something about knowing I have to weigh in on Tuesday evenings keeps me honest. That and the fact that I hate paying for something I know in my mind how to do: eat less + exercise more=weight loss. I just need that accountability.

"Have you lost weight and kept it off?" A couple of different times! But that's not what you asked is it? ;)

Weight Watchers is great. I've done very well with it in the past. It always helps to pay attention to what is going in. On www.livestrong.com they have a great food diary for free in the "my plate" section.

In the last month I've taken a completely new approach and eliminated caffeine, dairy, sugar, animal products and alcohol from my diet following the "Quantum Wellness Cleanse." I eat fruit, veggies, nuts and beans. Sounds radical and it kind of is but I feel really healthy and have lost about 15 pounds so far. If a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle is interesting to you pick up "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone.

I've lost 45 pounds using an 11-day diet called Fat Loss for Idiots. While I have gained back 15 pounds over the past 13 months, I still am down 30 lbs. I am doing the diet again now to lop off another 10 lbs. I intend to maintain in this way. Here is a post detailing my previous experience with this diet.

To me the main benefit of this diet is that I only need to diet about three weeks each year. I don't think I could do it continuously. In particular, I am not dieting when I am on business trips, vacation or during holidays, so I do not have to worry so much about what I eat at those times.

If you want to count something <smile>, then count how many acid causing things you eat and keep that number as low as possible. It's one thing to have a coffee or some chicken or cheese on occasion, but try to make the majority of your foods be alkalizing ones. An alkaline environment will help prevent disease and aid in weight loss :)

If you are eating nutrient dense foods (veggies, fruits, beans, etc), chances are, you will be unable to eat so much as to eat too many calories. For example, Eat to Live has you eating one POUND of raw veggies, one POUND of cooked veggies, 4 fruits, a cup of beans, a cup of grains/starchy veggies, and a few other small things. It's a LOT of food, but all GOOD for you food. And there are a few different plans so if you want a little bit of animal products, you can. It's easy to make a lifestyle as you can do the diet for the most part (ie, eat healthy), but it's okay to have some chocolate cake and steak on occasion.

I lost 40 lbs eating this way and it has stayed off for 4 years now. I don't count anything, I just eat nutrient dense foods whenever I'm hungry. I do eat meat daily and have an occasional treat now and then of course but mostly the foods listed above. Haven't had a weight problem since!

• 3 weeks later...
count how many acid causing things you eat and keep that number as low as possible. It's one thing to have a coffee or some chicken or cheese on occasion, but try to make the majority of your foods be alkalizing ones. An alkaline environment will help prevent disease and aid in weight loss :)

Very interesting. I'm a big believer in pH balance. This is stuff I know, but I really need this reminder. I might get the book "Eat to Live". Keep hearing good things about it.

Yep, I lost about 35 lbs 4 years ago and kept it off until baby #2 came along. Right now (4 1/2 months later) I'm 7 lbs away from my goal. The way I've done it is to count calories and watch my portion size. Also, I eat way more fruits, veggies and grains than I do meat. I still eat my occasionally cookie/cake, but I don't eat half the package or half the cake the way I used to. As for exercise, I walk most days after dinner, nothing major, just enough to get the blood moving :). Hope that helps!

I've lost and kept off about 30 lbs since my late 20's. I'm now in my early 50's and have had two kids. I started working out at a gym and doing some sort of cardio daily. I also gave up things like gravy, putting butter on veggies or bread. I eat little red meat and more fish or chicken. I usually prepare salad with dinner 4-5 nights a week and always have some sort of steamed vegetable. I make a dessert when we have company or maybe once every two weeks. I wear gym clothes to the gym only, no sweatpants for me:001_smile: It's easy to hide those extra pounds! I don't own a scale but know when my jeans feel tight, it's time to be a little more careful.

It took me a little over 18 months to lose it, and it came off weird. I didn't lose anything for a long time, then dropped 20lbs in about a month, thought I was done and slowly lost 10 more.

I didn't count anything. I watched my portions, cut out desserts, and tried to increase the amount of fruits and vegetables that I ate. I eat mostly whole grain and I've never been a huge meat eater. I also run 3x's a week and do power yoga 3x's a week.

I had been running/yoga for a year but hadn't lost weight. We went on vacation (Disney World) and I didn't exercise, but did walk a lot. I thought I would blow it eating wise while there but did better. I ate a good breakfast, a huge lunch (we ate out at lunch), and skipped dinner, just ate dessert, usually icecream :001_smile:. I started losing weight after this.

As we get older we have to both watch what we eat and exercise. The body needs a lot more effort to lose weight.

• 3 weeks later...

Did you go to a class to learn about this..or use a dvd?

Thanks,

Lacy

It took me a little over 18 months to lose it, and it came off weird. I didn't lose anything for a long time, then dropped 20lbs in about a month, thought I was done and slowly lost 10 more.

I didn't count anything. I watched my portions, cut out desserts, and tried to increase the amount of fruits and vegetables that I ate. I eat mostly whole grain and I've never been a huge meat eater. I also run 3x's a week and do power yoga 3x's a week.

I had been running/yoga for a year but hadn't lost weight. We went on vacation (Disney World) and I didn't exercise, but did walk a lot. I thought I would blow it eating wise while there but did better. I ate a good breakfast, a huge lunch (we ate out at lunch), and skipped dinner, just ate dessert, usually icecream :001_smile:. I started losing weight after this.

As we get older we have to both watch what we eat and exercise. The body needs a lot more effort to lose weight.

Well, I've just begun, but I've lost 12 lbs on WW over the past 9 weeks, and that's with doing NO exercise and I give myself one day a week to have a meal where I'm not vigilant with the points. That doesn't mean I go eat a whole pizza or anything, but I find that I don't feel cheated out of good food by allowing myself one meal like this.

I've learned a few things: One, when counting points, you learn very quickly what foods are worth the points you'll be using up on them. If PopTarts are worth it, fine; but you'll be eating salad for the rest of the day. It really makes you reexamine the foods you eat and decide to make better, more filling, but less "expensive" choices. Second, I get fuller faster now. And, I can still eat out or grab something from a fast food place without blowing it totally for the day. I just have to make very careful choices. And, I really don't feel deprived, because I'm not. If I want a burger from a FF place, I can have it, but I get it without cheese and mayo, and then have to eat very low points the rest of the day. Sometimes, a ff burger is worth it! Sometimes not. I have to decide and plan accordingly. WW also allots extra points each week for those special occasions or times when you're stuck and can't get better foods.

So, I think WW has been the best thing I've tried. Very doable for real life and that's what I find most diets today are NOT.

I tend to eat this way. It was hard in winter but I am getting back to it now (spring here). As long as I allow myself some meat or fish 2-3 times a week, I am happy with cutting out dairy and wheat/most grains, and eating mostly fruit and vegetables/beans/lentils/nuts and seeds. I dont eat sugar, but I do eat sweet things like sweet fruits and treats made with dried fruits, at times, and stevia in my tea.

I actually find my system likes a fair amount of fat so I eat avocados and coconut oil, and butter, and nuts, fairly freely.

My weight is pretty good. I lost a bit recently just by going back to my more healthy diet and getting out and walking more.

Its a lifestyle thing to me. I don't diet.

Did you go to a class to learn about this..or use a dvd?

Thanks,

Lacy

Power yoga is a type of yoga, it can also be called Astanga. I have DVDs, I've never taken a class, except using an online site called yogatoday.com . It has a free online class each week. I used that to help learn different poses. But not all of their classes are "Power". Also within Astanga is something called Flow yoga, which is also good for more of a workout. I also have a DVD that goes through the Primary Series, which is the hardest out of what I own.

If I could take a class, I would. I live in a rural area, and the nearest class is 45 minutes away.

HTH

For 10 days, I changed the way I ate....3 proteins 3 veggies, 3 fruits, 2 whole grains and 1 healthy fat. I think the main difference was cutting out all the white food. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Now I typically don't have trouble maintaining; my weight was leftover baby weight.

Then I got rid of all my fat clothes so I"ll have to cut back if my clothes get snug.

For 10 days, I changed the way I ate....3 proteins 3 veggies, 3 fruits, 2 whole grains and 1 healthy fat. I think the main difference was cutting out all the white food. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks. Now I typically don't have trouble maintaining; my weight was leftover baby weight.

Then I got rid of all my fat clothes so I"ll have to cut back if my clothes get snug.

This sounds very appealing to me at the moment.

If you have a moment, can you please say how much - as in portion size - is 1 protein = 1 egg, for example

1 fruit = 1 cup

Thanks.

For me, it's always, always about intake. Exercise helps me with overall health and wellbeing. But for weight loss, unfortunately, it's eating less. I hate eating less, since I just love food.

Also, two more questions if you don't mind:

1. You mention cutting out white food - does this include healthy white foods, such as plain yogurt? I seldom eat white bread, etc.

This question is for you, and for anyone else here:

2. What do you do about hunger? I've been having horrible hunger lately. And no, even if I drank a gallon, I'll still be hungry shortly after. :confused: I feel out of control these days when it comes to hunger and cravings. I hate it. :001_huh:

I've been reading this thread and debating whether to post or not. I have lost weight many times (using the low-calorie/low fat method or the low calorie/low carb method) and have gained it back and then some each time. This time I'm doing it differently. I haven't lost all the weight yet though so I'm relying on "weight loss science" to back up my method. According to my research (as Dorothy Ann would say), in the past I was losing both fat and muscle and then gaining it all back as just fat.

I am this time using the "gain muscle to replace the fat" method. I was extremely weak so it is taking me a long time but I am so happy with how much stronger I am becoming. I am discovering that after some initial fast weight loss, my weight loss (10 pounds so far in 11 weeks) has a pattern. Week 1 - gain 1 or 2 pounds of muscle. Week 2 - lose that much weight in fat to go back to my previous weight. Week 3 - lose a little bit more of weight in fat. Repeat cycle. When I get discouraged I look at how far I've come in strength - I just increased the intensity of two more exercises this morning!

In order to do this method I have to eat more than the low calorie methods because my body needs enough fuel to build muscle. I also need more rest because I get very tired as I'm building muscle!

This sounds very appealing to me at the moment.

If you have a moment, can you please say how much - as in portion size - is 1 protein = 1 egg, for example

1 fruit = 1 cup

Thanks.

For me, it's always, always about intake. Exercise helps me with overall health and wellbeing. But for weight loss, unfortunately, it's eating less. I hate eating less, since I just love food.

I adapted this from the MAy 24 issue of First for Women magazine with Denise Austin on the front...

1 serving veggies= 1-2 cups

1 fruit= 1 med fruit or 1 cup of cut up fruit

1 protein= 3-4 oz. lean meat or 1 egg, 1 cup dairy or 1/2 cup legumes

Whole grains are WHOLE GRAINS, not just bread that is darker brown than the white bread, read the label. Or whole grain cereals (I ate a small bowl of Fiber one cereal with milk for breakfast and that was 1 grain/1 protein)

Healthy fats= 1 tsp olive oil, 1-2 tbsp nut butter, 1/4 cup avacado

Days 1-3 were the worst. My body craved carbs and sugar, but after the first couple days I was ok. My blood sugar evened out and I felt a bit hungry before meals but I wasn't starving. Make sure you drink all the water you can stand and then some!

The article recommends 12 minutes of exercise a day. I think I only got in my 12 minutes "officially" 2 or 3 days, but I am pretty active, having a farm, so I still lost the weight.

Good luck!

Also, two more questions if you don't mind:

1. You mention cutting out white food - does this include healthy white foods, such as plain yogurt? I seldom eat white bread, etc.

This question is for you, and for anyone else here:

2. What do you do about hunger? I've been having horrible hunger lately. And no, even if I drank a gallon, I'll still be hungry shortly after. :confused: I feel out of control these days when it comes to hunger and cravings. I hate it. :001_huh:

I counted yogurt as a protein. And cauliflower counts as a veggie :) I've been asked that alot too!

When I am eating like this with the proteins spaced out evenly through the day, I get hungry close to the next meal, but not unbearably starving. If you are starving, I would add in a healthy fat (a small bit) at each meal, to help with the hunger. But really, for me the protein was the key to feeling satisfied for longer periods of time without going over the top. For instance, just eating fruit for breakfast while it would be light in calories, I'd be ravenous by lunch; I'd do better to have a boiled egg with the fruit then I wouldn't be starved by lunch. I found that lean meat stuck in my stomach longer than milk products too.

I also had to be VERY conscious of the time. I needed to eat on time, or I would get over the top hungry. I needed to eat about every 4 hours. So breakfast at 8, lunch at 12, snack at 3 or 4 and supper at 6.

yep!

Somersizing. Low sugar. No sugar, honey, refined grains or starchy veggies to lose weight. Careful intake of these to keep it off. Lots and lots of non-starchy veggies and more protein than many eating plans. Natural fats in moderation - cheese, good oils, butter etc.

I am never hungry or unsatisfied eating this way. No counting, weighing etc.

It is more expensive because filling carbs are cheap - brown rice, beans, ww pasta etc. I make these lots of these for my family but eat less of them myself.

Bonus: My LDL cholesterol and triglycerides have gone way down along with my blood sugar. I am borderline type 2 diabetic, as is almost everyone in my family over age 35!

I adapted this from the MAy 24 issue of First for Women magazine with Denise Austin on the front...

1 serving veggies= 1-2 cups

1 fruit= 1 med fruit or 1 cup of cut up fruit

1 protein= 3-4 oz. lean meat or 1 egg, 1 cup dairy or 1/2 cup legumes

Whole grains are WHOLE GRAINS, not just bread that is darker brown than the white bread, read the label. Or whole grain cereals (I ate a small bowl of Fiber one cereal with milk for breakfast and that was 1 grain/1 protein)

Healthy fats= 1 tsp olive oil, 1-2 tbsp nut butter, 1/4 cup avacado

Days 1-3 were the worst. My body craved carbs and sugar, but after the first couple days I was ok. My blood sugar evened out and I felt a bit hungry before meals but I wasn't starving. Make sure you drink all the water you can stand and then some!

The article recommends 12 minutes of exercise a day. I think I only got in my 12 minutes "officially" 2 or 3 days, but I am pretty active, having a farm, so I still lost the weight.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your detailed and very helpful replies. :grouphug:

It's funny because I often get FIRST, but pay no attention to their diets/cover story diets ;). I don't ever seem to believe that they'll work, but I'm more than willing to give this a try. I'm going to start planning. :)

I love the idea of 12 minutes of exercise. That, I can do. :D

How long did you do this for? I am assuming that you did this until you could fit into your clothes as you mentioned/got to your ideal weight. And then you ate normally again?

When you regain, you just go back on this plan?

I'm a big believer in pH balancing, as Peela has also mentioned here. I like the idea of doing this over the long-term (right now I'm going to look into trying the other plan in the previous post) for more of a quick/short-term fix.

Does Eat to Live go into a detailed/structured plan? Is it worth me getting the book? Or have you included the basics above, and therefore I won't need to get the book? ;)

My hope is: to go on the previous plan/Denise Austin/FIRST magazine - until I reach my goal

Then ...

the plan above with regular and consistent exercise (in moderation) over the long-term.

I just love plans. :D

Plus, I love this thread. :grouphug:

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I lost 48 lbs. in 2005 and have kept it all off -- except 3 or 4 lbs. I bounce up and get down again.

I did it with Weight Watchers -- and I went every week LONG after I got the weight off.

Losing weight was like have a part time job. I had to really, really take it seriously or there was no way of permanently changing my habits.

Some might say, "that's no way to live." Well, living with weight was miserable on a daily basis for me. I'd rather watch my points in our food-rich culture then constantly have my pants be too tight. Or not enjoy a day at the beach w/ my kids b/c I hate the way I look and feel.

Keeping it off is still a part time job. I'm constantly focused on having my "tools" (foods that make it easy to eat low points), keeping my diary, even going to meetings still.

I've never seen exercise as helpful. Most of us just don't work out at the intensity levels that equal weight loss. But low points and changing habits absolutely works.

PM me if you want more.

Alley

Thank you so much for your detailed and very helpful replies. :grouphug:

It's funny because I often get FIRST, but pay no attention to their diets/cover story diets ;). I don't ever seem to believe that they'll work, but I'm more than willing to give this a try. I'm going to start planning. :)

I love the idea of 12 minutes of exercise. That, I can do. :D

How long did you do this for? I am assuming that you did this until you could fit into your clothes as you mentioned/got to your ideal weight. And then you ate normally again?

When you regain, you just go back on this plan?

I did this for ten days. I only had about 15 lbs to lose. I still need to pare down those last five. And I plan on doing this again in the near future to get rid of those last five pounds. I typically don't have much trouble maintaining.

I did find that I could not immediately go back to eating the old way. sSimply eating a whole fast food burger made me feel horrible, bloated & disgusting, so I really feel that it was good for me.

I really need to get back to eating this way. However, budgetary restrictions are getting to me right now. (I have to shop for eating like this to include all the fruits and veggies I'm supposed to have)

I did this for ten days. I only had about 15 lbs to lose. I still need to pare down those last five. And I plan on doing this again in the near future to get rid of those last five pounds. I typically don't have much trouble maintaining.

I did find that I could not immediately go back to eating the old way. Simply eating a whole fast food burger made me feel horrible, bloated & disgusting, so I really feel that it was good for me.

I really need to get back to eating this way. However, budgetary restrictions are getting to me right now. (I have to shop for eating like this to include all the fruits and veggies I'm supposed to have)

Again, very helpful info. Thank you, thank you, thank you for all the details. :grouphug: I'm ready to start this tomorrow ... I would start today, and I am actually partially starting today. The only reason not, is that today is a crazy day and I don't want to set myself up for failure.

I've been reading this thread and debating whether to post or not. I have lost weight many times (using the low-calorie/low fat method or the low calorie/low carb method) and have gained it back and then some each time. This time I'm doing it differently. I haven't lost all the weight yet though so I'm relying on "weight loss science" to back up my method. According to my research (as Dorothy Ann would say), in the past I was losing both fat and muscle and then gaining it all back as just fat.

I am this time using the "gain muscle to replace the fat" method. I was extremely weak so it is taking me a long time but I am so happy with how much stronger I am becoming. I am discovering that after some initial fast weight loss, my weight loss (10 pounds so far in 11 weeks) has a pattern. Week 1 - gain 1 or 2 pounds of muscle. Week 2 - lose that much weight in fat to go back to my previous weight. Week 3 - lose a little bit more of weight in fat. Repeat cycle. When I get discouraged I look at how far I've come in strength - I just increased the intensity of two more exercises this morning!

In order to do this method I have to eat more than the low calorie methods because my body needs enough fuel to build muscle. I also need more rest because I get very tired as I'm building muscle!

Jean, I agree with you. This is basically what I did a year or so ago - when I lost more than 30 pounds. Nothing extreme - everything in moderation. No calorie or point counting. Healthy eating and exercise.

Then I stagnated ...

Then I got swine flu, which was perfect to give that weight loss a nice kick in the rear. I lost about 10 pounds with swine flu. Wish I could get it every year. :lol:

Lately, however, my appetite has been seriously out of control. I feel hungry all. the. time. It's really and truly driving me nuts. :confused:

I don't want to start gaining too much again. I really, really don't. It scares me.

Plus, we have our vacation coming up. Not a good thing. Temptations galore. Never mind the fact that we'll be in the car a lot. For some reason, when I'm in a car, I start to get ravenous.

I was talking to dh yesterday, and we both agreed that worrying about weight loss is actually a luxury. So many friends that we know - as well as people one hears about - have far bigger worries - I have 2 close friends going through chemo. Really, in the big picture, health and wellbeing is far, far more important than a number on a stupid scale. So I reminded myself that we're blessed. Really and truly blessed.

Thanks for listening and hearing me out.

I feel awkward as if I'm hijacking this thread ... my apologies to the original poster. I figure that weight loss is a concern for most of us anyway and we can all learn. :grouphug:

I can't do WW here. None available. I don't think I would do it online. It's hard to count points or do sparkpeople with some of the Persian food we normally eat. I just can't see that happening. But I would do it if I had to, if all else fails.

Right now, I want to try that plan for the next few weeks. Then something more long-term such as the Eat to Live plan that Pamela mentioned earlier. After all, health is more important than a number.