Menu

From the 'We Can't Make This Up' File.........

want to chuckle? What I want to know is why the cat doesn't go out and get a job and pay its own rent?

And, I am not trying to offend cat owners -- I had cats the whole time I was growing up and I do understand how difficult these situations are.

This is exactly how the ad appeared, except that I removed specific location words and identifying words and phone numbers.

FROM CRAIGSLIST:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE ---- READ ALL THE DETAILS.

If you Love CAT, look into this opportunity on 2 Bedroom Condo

$1200 / 2br Condo (1 Full Bath) 900sqft total

Condo comes with one CAT...

Condo is behind XYZ (Very close to xxxxxxxxxxxxx)

Hello Reader

(((PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE POSTING.)

Renter Requirements:

-I am looking to rent out my condo to a Lady preferably.

-The person must be over 21 years of age.

-MUST, MUST, MUST (LOVE or Like) CATS. (We Only Have One Cat)

-Must be making over $45K (will need proof from 2009 Tax filing)

-Must want to live without any other roommates.

-You must be a clean person, willing to keep the condo clean, (NO PARTY ANIMALS)

-If you have a CAT of your own and the cat is nice, has all shots and the cat is INDOORS (we can accommodate this).

-Two sisters maybe okay as long as you proof this relationship as well and add $100 more for rent b/c of 2nd person.

Background story on the condo and the cat what lives there:

My wife and I pick out a cat when the car was only 12 weeks old.

The cat lived with my wife for 3 years.

The wife and I got married, and the cat moved in my condo.

After 4 years living with the cat, the husband became very allergic to the cat.

We have moved out to a new place but the cat is still in the condo.

It has been living in the condo for over 4 months.

My wife goes to the condo each day to feed the cat.

We don’t want to get rid of the cat; both of us do love the cat.

But wanted to find someone who was willing to live with the cat.

Someone who grew up with one or two cats and loves them very much. CAT friendly person is a MUST.

Someone who will pet the cat, and can provide a loving environment.

My Wife still plans on coming over each day (between set time after talking with you) and checking up on the cat, feeding it, change the Cat Litter Box if needed. If you are willing to feed the cat yourself and my wife builds a trust with the new renter, she may chose to come every other day. We can talk details later.

Current Condo Condition:

-This is an open agreement NO LEASE, you can live there on monthly bases. I do not want to hold anyone to a any long term lease, live there as long as you are happy…

This condo is very nice (2 bedroom condo) with one full bathroom

900 sqft (master Bedroom is bid 17’x12’) (2nd bedroom is 14’x9’)

The Kitchen is updated with maple cabinets, all appliances are update and newer.

The condo will be painted if the renter request the condo be painted.

The condo does need to be aired out b/c no one has been living there for 4-5 months now.

The condo carpet is in okay conditions, NO MAJOR STAINS, or damage.

The Rent will be $1200 dollars per month, Cash preferred.

The condo deposit will be $2000 dollars, ( I can break this into two payments)

The condo is in very nice location, it is in xxxxxxxxx

The condo has very easy access to xxxxxxxxxxx

The condo is on the 1st floor, and the parking is FREE!!!)

The condo utility will be only $50 for all of the following (Electric, Water, Gas cooking and heating) Air Conditioning, Trash Removal, Snow Removal, outside pool and parks.

My cell is xxxxxxxx Call me if you are interested (we are very nice people-Looking for someone with Kind heart and is respectful)

My name is xxxxxxxxx, if I do not pick up please just leaving me your number and I will call back ASAP.

Thank you

:001_huh:

Wow! When youngest dd arrived on the scene, it was apparent she was highly allergic. We sent the cat to live with a friend in the mountains where she ran feral with horses for the rest of her VERY happy life (4-5 years). These people need to find the cat a good home and get on with their lives.

You know I can almost see a cat coming with the condo, but the woman wanting to come over and care for the cat on a daily basis is simply strange. We know who is in control of that relationship. :lol::lol:

:iagree: The coming over every day part is weird, imo.

A few years ago dd and her dh went to look at a condo (I went with them - they were very new to the area) and it was a beautiful condo. What the prospective landlord didn't tell us about till we arrived (b/c we never would have gone if we had known b4 hand) was that she going to move a few hours away to go to grad school. BUT, she would be coming back to live in the condo at Thansgiving, Christmas, and any other time she wanted a break from school.:001_huh:

Rent out the condo OR don't rent out the condo but don't come back to live there when you feel like it.:glare:

and how do you become 'very allergic' to an animal after 4 years of living with it. I have heard of discovering an allergy recently after getting a pet but 4 yrs seems like a long time to me to be 'very' allergic and not realize it.

:iagree:

I think he was already allergic and ignoring it. I'm allergic to cats but got one anyway. I was on allergy medicine year round before dd arrived and we had to send our cat away. He probably just got tired of being sick and felt guilty.

and how do you become 'very allergic' to an animal after 4 years of living with it. I have heard of discovering an allergy recently after getting a pet but 4 yrs seems like a long time to me to be 'very' allergic and not realize it.

I told my daughter that I thought they were one sandwich shy of a picnic.:glare:

:iagree: The coming over every day part is weird, imo.

A few years ago dd and her dh went to look at a condo (I went with them - they were very new to the area) and it was a beautiful condo. What the prospective landlord didn't tell us about till we arrived (b/c we never would have gone if we had known b4 hand) was that she going to move a few hours away to go to grad school. BUT, she would be coming back to live in the condo at Thansgiving, Christmas, and any other time she wanted a break from school.:001_huh:

Rent out the condo OR don't rent out the condo but don't come back to live there when you feel like it.:glare:

What were your dc supposed to do when their "landlord" decided she wanted the condo for the weekend?!:001_huh:

I seem to be doing a lot of :001_huh: today:lol:

What were your dc supposed to do when their "landlord" decided she wanted the condo for the weekend?!:001_huh:

I seem to be doing a lot of :001_huh: today:lol:

We hadn't run screaming to the door yet, and I spoke up (dd and her dh were stunned) and asked. She said there was plenty of room for everyone.:001_huh:

It IS a :001_huh: kind of day, isn't it?:D

A person can develop extreme sensitivities to something that they were only mildly allergic to.

I have been dealing with this ever since I had H1N1 last fall. My shellfish allergy is so bad that we can't cook crabcakes in the house. I used to be able to tolerate being around it, but not ingesting it. I grew up with a cat, but can no longer even pet one. When I visited the cat room at the animal shelter with my daughter's girl scout troop, I had to leave immediately because I felt an asthma attack coming on.

Hmm...I think we would have had much better luck back when we rented out an apartment to The Worst Tenant in the World if we'd run this little scam, "Oh, btw, our cat lives in your apartment, so we'll have to come over every day to check on her." I bet she would have kept the place a little cleaner :)

Who breeds? The people or the cat?:confused:

:tongue_smilie:

*snork* Either, but I was thinking the people. Definitely a 'Bronze The BM Parent' nomination in the wings.

ETA: Also reminds me of one of my Dad's favourite sayings, "More money than brains'.

I see the perfect set up for a lawsuit on at least a couple of grounds.

I have made this statement to my two older dds many times:

"I do not ever want to be sitting across from Larry King having to answer: 'Didn't this situation seem a little odd to you?' :001_huh:

'Didn't any warning bells go off for you?':001_huh:

'What advice do you have for others who might think that this is a good idea?' :001_huh:

And, I don't want to be the cover story on PEOPLE.:glare:

I have made this statement to my two older dds many times:

"I do not ever want to be sitting across from Larry King having to answer: 'Didn't this situation seem a little odd to you?' :001_huh:

'Didn't any warning bells go off for you?':001_huh:

'What advice do you have for others who might think that this is a good idea?' :001_huh:

And, I don't want to be the cover story on PEOPLE.:glare:

:iagree:

Wow. They remind me of the neighbors we have across the street. A retired military guy with no job that we can tell and his new wife who teaches some form of TaiChi. They moved here a year ago from WA state, a distance of over 2000 miles. They have been home maybe a month combined during that time. The rest of the time they have 'hired' a series of 'renters' to stay in their home and keep the cat while they travel the world. The whole reason they bought the house was to have a place to leave the cat while traveling. They chose my state and street because it seemed to be most compatible with the personality of the cat. Supposedly they regularly call to check on the cat and talk to it so it doesn't forget them.

Wow. They remind me of the neighbors we have across the street. A retired military guy with no job that we can tell and his new wife who teaches some form of TaiChi. They moved here a year ago from WA state, a distance of over 2000 miles. They have been home maybe a month combined during that time. The rest of the time they have 'hired' a series of 'renters' to stay in their home and keep the cat while they travel the world. The whole reason they bought the house was to have a place to leave the cat while traveling. They chose my state and street because it seemed to be most compatible with the personality of the cat. Supposedly they regularly call to check on the cat and talk to it so it doesn't forget them.

:001_huh: Definitely more money than brains. And need some serious couch time.

Picking a home, a STATE, on the basis of what Mr.Fluffy wants. Dear heavens! :svengo:

I lack the words to describe this sort of idiocy.

Yep, us too. We were also speechless when they brought us back a thank you gift from Egypt because we were such good neighbors. The gift was a cheap looking key chain with what looked like a plastic smiling hamburger on it. What do hamburgers have to do with Egypt???

They win.:leaving:

Yep, us too. We were also speechless when they brought us back a thank you gift from Egypt because we were such good neighbors. The gift was a cheap looking key chain with what looked like a plastic smiling hamburger on it. What do hamburgers have to do with Egypt???

ummmmm, I think that's a question for another thread.:lol:

Sounds like you need to be bribing Mr. Fluffy with some exotic, organic catnip to get better thank you gifts. Perhaps leaving dead rodents on the doorstep as gifts would work?

And cats love meat. Even in Egypt. Duh.

:leaving::lol:

I'm almost ashamed to admit that I picked a 1 bedroom apartment over a 2 bedroom apartment purely because my dog could live there/come visit. :tongue_smilie:

Well, you shouldn't be........THAT makes perfect sense to me. Before we had dc but we did have a yellow lab, dh and I KNEW that we could only look at rentals that would allow her. Same thing when my mom was looking for a rental and she and my dad had cats.:001_smile:

We considered renting an apartment for our cats.

:leaving:

We moved from San Antonio to Roanoke before our house sold. We lived with Grandma and Grandpa for almost a year, but they would not allow our cats to stay there. We were keeping them at a friend's house, but it was not an ideal situation. He did not like cats, and they were locked in a spare room all the time. Twice a week or so we would go over and change the litter and visit with them or so, but it was a pretty awful existence for them. Then he got fed up with them living there. By this time our house had sold, but we had not really found a house that we liked and was affordable. So we seriously considered (and visited) several very cheap apartments, thinking that even if it wasn't a good place for us to live, it would be adequate for the cats.

I felt completely nuts, but at the time we hadn't come up with any better solutions. Finally, we found a house that was okay and we bought, but I have to admit, we might have waited a bit longer/ saved more money if the cat living situation was a little different.....

We moved from San Antonio to Roanoke before our house sold.

I totally understand that folks do what they have to do.......dh and I had the opportunity to live RENT FREE when we first toyed with the idea of coming down here 15 years ago. We had beautiful furniture and the RE market here was in the toilet. We would be able to live rent free, put our furniture in a gorgeous home that was for sale or was being foreclosed on, and allow realtors to show the home -- the home wouldn't be empty - that was the rationale.

But, no pets! And since we could not bring our dog, we let go of the idea. I hear you.

I just think that the individual who placed the craigslist ad was a little over the top as far as this being a long term viable solution. kwim?;)

We moved from San Antonio to Roanoke before our house sold.

I totally understand that folks do what they have to do.......dh and I had the opportunity to live RENT FREE when we first toyed with the idea of coming down here 15 years ago. We had beautiful furniture and the RE market here was in the toilet. We would be able to live rent free, put our furniture in a gorgeous home that was for sale or was being foreclosed on, and allow realtors to show the home -- the home wouldn't be empty - that was the rationale.

But, no pets! And since we could not bring our dog, we let go of the idea. I hear you.

I just think that the individual who placed the craigslist ad was a little over the top as far as this being a long term viable solution. kwim?;)

Oh, no argument from me there! I can imagine the line of thought that brought them to this place, but I don't think they are thinking that the renters might object to daily visits from the landlord. Also, their qualifications (two sisters, maybe, but have to have proof of relationship????) are a bit over the top....... They sound nuts. But, I also do know a family where the little boy, who is seven, never had any allergies to anything at all and suddenly developed an allergy to their cat. It's not severe, but it is definitely an allergy, and it definitely developed suddenly. I guess it happens....

Oh, no argument from me there! I can imagine the line of thought that brought them to this place, but I don't think they are thinking that the renters might object to daily visits from the landlord. Also, their qualifications (two sisters, maybe, but have to have proof of relationship????) are a bit over the top....... They sound nuts. But, I also do know a family where the little boy, who is seven, never had any allergies to anything at all and suddenly developed an allergy to their cat. It's not severe, but it is definitely an allergy, and it definitely developed suddenly. I guess it happens....

:iagree: oh, yes....I agree....this stuff happens. My dd30 (who sent me the ad) was healthy as a horse her entire life and then in her early 20s, she presented with chronic Lyme Disease and while she is improving and we hope she will reach a level of health that allows her to enjoy life, she now has Multiple Chemical Sensitivities.....so, definitely, this stuff happens.

Oh, no argument from me there! I can imagine the line of thought that brought them to this place, but I don't think they are thinking that the renters might object to daily visits from the landlord. Also, their qualifications (two sisters, maybe, but have to have proof of relationship????) are a bit over the top....... They sound nuts.

You know, you make a good point. What problem do they have with two women living together?! Why do they care how/if we're related? That's discriminatory and against the law in EVERY state. Besides, I'm always leery of Landlords that put so many "conditions" in the lease.