Menu

Last, Current, Next?

Want to talk books?

The book I last read was:

"Handle With Care," by Jodi Picoult. I liked it, but, then, I like all of her books! It's about a girl born with a condition that causes her bones to break all the time, and what their family life is like- and then the mother decides to file a "wrongful birth suit" because she loves her daughter and wants to provide well for her future- but this causes all sorts of drama- the husband doesn't think she should do this, the kids start to think it means the mom doesn't/didn't want them, even though she reassured them otherwise, the media is all over them and other people think this mom is a real jerk, and so on. Oh and to add a twist, the OB-GYN she is suing is also her best friend.

The book/s I am currently reading are:

"Deconstructing Penguins: Parents, Kids and the Bond of Reading" (you all raved about it so much I decided to order a copy and check it out),

and "Where Are You Now?" by Mary Higgins Clark. It's pretty good so far. The main character is a girl whose brother disappeared out of the blue ten years ago. But he calls every Mother's Day, and won't tell his family where he is or why he disappeared. Other people are disappearing too, the missing brother is starting to be accused of being a murderer, and his sister is trying to find him and to find out what's going on. I borrowed this book while we were staying at a bed and breakfast as I'd forgotten to bring myself something to read, and the woman was nice enough to let me bring it home to finish, and I said I'd send it back media mail when I was done. This is one of those authors I tend to buy if I see them at a used book sale or something, rather than buying new, but I usually enjoy them well enough.

The book I plan to read next is:

"Bullet," by Laurel K. Hamilton. It is the most recent book in the "Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter," series which I confess to loving. And buying new. In hardcover. I have the whole series. It's more "adult" than Twilight.

The book/s I'm reading with my kids:

"On The Banks Of Plum Creek," with my 9 y/o- we're working our way through the Little House series, obviously.

and

"The Indian In The Cupboard," to both my 9 y/o and 4 y/o, after seeing some of you talk about how even your young kids liked that book. It's holding both of their attention, including my 4 y/o's, surprisingly well!

So? What are your last/current/next? Feel free to add a brief description or review so the rest of us can see if we want to check them out, too :D

I just finished reading Icy Sparks and Three Cups of Tea (2nd time) last night.

So, I need to decide on current and/or next choices. I just snarfed a bunch of books from my sister, so I may begin The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Dream Angus. I usually have an upstairs book and a downstairs book going at the same time.

With the kids, I just finished reading Smells Like Dog, by Suzanne Selfors. Really entertaining and enjoyable to read. Highly recommended here. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, they chose another Magic Tree House Book for the next read aloud, so we started it last night. It's the one about Carnival in Venice. Those get so boring to read after a while, but the boys still like them.

Next, I think I'm going to steer them toward Stuart Little or Shadow of a Bull.

Last was "Catching Fire" the sequel to "Hunger Games". Could. not. put. them. down. The final one is coming out this month and I will certainly buy it in hardback. There's no way I can wait for it in the library. Also young adult books, but I thought they were fine for me! Very good summer reading, quick and fun.

Currently I am about to start "Year of Wonders" about the plague. Sounds light and fun, huh?:D So that counts as current and what's next I guess.

DD is still on summer break so she's reading Babysitter's Club and the most recent Freddy the Hamster book.:rolleyes: Not my favs but she deserves a break and some light and fun reading just like I do.

DS isn't reading by himself yet, so he and I read picture books at bedtime and he loves Hank the Cowdog.

Want to talk books?

The book I last read was:

"Handle With Care," by Jodi Picoult. I liked it, but, then, I like all of her books! It's about a girl born with a condition that causes her bones to break all the time, and what their family life is like- and then the mother decides to file a "wrongful birth suit" because she loves her daughter and wants to provide well for her future- but this causes all sorts of drama- the husband doesn't think she should do this, the kids start to think it means the mom doesn't/didn't want them, even though she reassured them otherwise, the media is all over them and other people think this mom is a real jerk, and so on. Oh and to add a twist, the OB-GYN she is suing is also her best friend.

Despite my interest in OI and Jodi Picoult's books (well, I loved the one about the girl who sued for independence from keeping her older sister alive)... I could not finish this book. I got about halfway through (slogging) and realized that I didn't like the character and didn't want her to win and why was I wasting my time? This book was not near as well done as the previous one though they seemed similar on the surface. Who sues just to get money even if you don't think the person did something wrong? Especially their best friend? And in the mean while basically says you would have killed your own kid if you had a chance (and that is what the lawsuit says. She's dreaming when she thinks she can have it both ways)

Despite my interest in OI and Jodi Picoult's books (well, I loved the one about the girl who sued for independence from keeping her older sister alive)... I could not finish this book. I got about halfway through (slogging) and realized that I didn't like the character and didn't want her to win and why was I wasting my time? This book was not near as well done as the previous one though they seemed similar on the surface. Who sues just to get money even if you don't think the person did something wrong? Especially their best friend? And in the mean while basically says you would have killed your own kid if you had a chance (and that is what the lawsuit says. She's dreaming when she thinks she can have it both ways)

Yeah, I mean, it's an interesting concept though. She basically says "I can't answer that now, because I know her" when asked at some point if she would have terminated the pregnancy had she known. But that she should have had the choice BEFORE she knew and loved the child she'd brought into the world. That it was the doctor's responsibility to tell her way back when so she could have had the opportunity to make a choice- a choice that would NOW be impossible, because she already loves this kid. It's an interesting thing to think about, really.

If you know your child is going to have a lifetime of nothing but pain and hardship, assuming you're not totally and rigidly pro life for say religious reasons to begin with- would you terminate a pregnancy to spare your child that kind of life and pain? This is not the same as saying "I don't think a disabled person's life is worth living" (to me) but "I wouldn't want to spend my life in constant pain and hardship and not being able to fully live it and so on, so I don't want to put a child through that either"- I'm sure it's a very hard, very personal decision.

If your doctor fails to see the signs that were there and give you that choice and you have this child now that will have all sorts of expensive special needs- should the doctor have some sort of financial responsibility?

If making the doctor take responsibility is the only way your child can have a safe, secure life financially (what if you can't afford all those things and this is your way to provide for said child, to make sure she is cared for not only now, but perhaps in the future when you aren't there to take care of her)- would you do it?

It's definitely not a black and white issue!

Not that it's one that I'm trying to debate or argue one way or another lol- just saying I can see where the main character is coming from with trying to have it "both ways" and that I did think it made for a good and thought-provoking read.

Last Book:

A Blunt Instrument by Georgette Heyer. A slightly wacky British mystery from the 30's.

Current Book:

God and Evolution-A Faith Based Understanding by David Wilcox. Excellent book by a believing scientist examing all sides of the issue and explaining his (theistic evolution) position. It's answering a lot of questions I've had lately, or at least making some things clearer.

Next Book:

The Last Dickens by Michael Pearl. A mystery about Dickens, not sure what yet. I've read Pearl's first two books so I want to read this one.

Getting ready to read to kids:

Call it Courage

Last book: Packing For Mars by Mary Roach, a book that discusses scientists' efforts to deal with all the aspects of the physical human body in space, from the effects of sensory deprivation and isolation to yes, space toilets and the food (actually made by VETS).

Current book: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (2nd read). This is a touching and gorgeously written book about the social complications of a small English village in the New Era of multiculturalism and big development.

Next book: Young Romantics by Daisy Hay, which analyzes the Romantic poets' commitment to radical experimentation in their private lives in light of their effects on their wives, children, sisters, etc.

Read aloud with dd: Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

last book :

The hole in our gospel by Richard Stearns, president of world vision US

life changing!

Currently reading:

the shallows - what the internet is doing to our brain

interesting, curious to see where he goes

also reading:

a place of my own by Michael Pollan.

loving this! He is such a fabulous writer.

Next up:

common place - the agrarian essays of Wendell berry.

so excited, been wanting to read this for a while

Reading with the kids:

Kildee house

Last: Life of Pi (ds1's summer reading book)--slow at first but picks up and ends with a twist.

Current: 1984--read this as a teen and remember nothing of it except that there was a diary. This is on ds1's reading list as the source book that he will have to base 2 research papers on. He takes English at a private school. He'll probably ask me to proof his papers, and I find it helps to be knowlegeable of the story.

Next: I was going to read Northanger Abbey as I haven't read any Austen but I saw a PP mention Mockingjay will be out this month so that will likely be my next. I have really enjoyed this series and Suzanne Collins' writing style.

Cinder

Last - Odd Man Out - A Yale graduate baseball pitcher chronicles his year of playing in the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim minor league system.

Current - Living on the Black - John Feinstein follows pitchers Tom Glavine of the New York Mets and Mike Mussina of the New York Yankees during their 2007 MLB seasons. Both are in the sunset of their careers, and face the decline of their skills and abilities. Glavine is trying to get to 300 wins to guarantee a spot in the baseball hall of fame. Mussina is struggling to stay competitive.

If you hadn't guessed, I'm a big baseball fan and have 3 of 4 sons currently playing. All 3 are pitchers as well.

Next (short term) - ?????

Next (long term) - Mockingjay - The 3rd book in the Hunger Games series. The last I checked, I was at #212 on the reserve list. I think the book hasn't come out yet, and is on order at the library.

Fun thread!

Last: I tried to read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, but I couldn't get into it. So I read Lady Be Good by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (I only read her books occasionally, if I'm looking for some romantic fluff. I have to be in the mood for that kind of thing, maybe once or twice a year.)

Current: He Loves Me, Living in the Father's Affection by Wayne Jacobsen. This book is changing my life. I love it!!

Next: Not sure. I think I'm going to pull out my historical fiction list and get something from there. I haven't read a good HF book in a long time, and it's my favorite genre. We had a thread here a couple of weeks ago with some great suggestions, and I took notes. :D

Last: A Land Remembered by Patrick D. Smith. Historical fiction about Florida's rise from uninhabitable swamp land to developer's dream.

Current: Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian. Fictional quest (with some history thrown in) for the truth about Vlad the Impaler, on whom the Dracula legend is based.

Next: Legacy----historical fiction about Elizabeth Tudor by Susan Key. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind :001_smile:

Last book: Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer - this was my first Heyer book and I really enjoyed it, so now I am starting Frederica.

Also reading Fagles' Iliad.

On the nightstand: Surprised by Joy -Lewis, My Lord John - Heyer, and Heroes of the City Man - Leithart

I usually have two or more books going at once.

Last: Jasper Fforde, Shades of Grey. Sort of postmodern science fiction, except that you can tell that Fforde is writing from outside the SF genre even though all his books play with fantasy. I liked it.

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban. I'm re-reading the series.

Current: How the States Got their Shapes, by Mark Stein. Fascinating pop history/geography book which answers questions you didn't even know you had.

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire. See above.

Next: J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Read-aloud:Laura Ingalls Wilder, By the Shores of Silver Lake. I don't know what we'll do next. My 5yo found my copy of Little House on the Prairie, which I had put away for when she was older and better able to understand the context of how Native Americans are treated and depicted in that book. She really wants to read it. Maybe I can distract her with the next Oz book instead.

Last book that I read was The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to my DH and DD.

Never read it in school and thought I should read it.

The current books that I am reading are:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn once again to my DH and DD.

The Vaccine Book by Robert Sears

The Way the World Works by Jude Wanniski-this is a good book about how government actions affect economics.

The next book I plan to read is the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith which is a book on economics that used to be taught in most colleges.

Oh yeah the most important book that we are always reading is the Bible

Edited by Mama Geek
Forgot to add the most important book.

Last: The Bride Price by Buchi Emecheta...about an Ibo girl being married off in the '50s.

Current: Children of God by Mary Doria Russell (continuation of the science fiction story The Sparrow); It by Stephen King (horror); Phantastes by George MacDonald (fantasy)

Next: I need to finish up a biography of Houdini, a non-fiction book about 17 molecules that changed history, Cloudsplitter, and a random Elmore Leonard book my husband and I started.

Last:

The Murder List, Julie Garwood - it was 'ok'

Current:

P.S. I Love You, Cecilia Ahern - This isn't the type of book I usually enjoy, and it's taken me two months to get through the first five chapters. I find it extremely boring. I may just give up on it.

Next:

The Bride Collector, Tedd Dekker - I've put this book off to read the one mentioned above. Plus, Dekker's work lately has just been "meh". But I can't pass it up, so it's next.

Current: Children of God by Mary Doria Russell (continuation of the science fiction story The Sparrow);

I liked The Sparrow better, but this one earns space on our shelves and rereading about once a year by either my husband or myself (this is one of the rare "series" we both read over and over)

LAST: Shepherd's Abiding by Jan Karon; Body of evidence by Patricia Cornwell (it has not aged well as time has gone on. She doesn't even have a cellphone!)

CURRENT: The Whole Truth by David Baldacci (4 CDs left and I'm starting to think I'm going to leave it unfinished); Dragon Harper by Anne and Todd McCaffrey; The Mysterious benedict society and the prisoner's dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart

NEXT: A Conspiracy of kings by Megan Whalen

Last: In the last 2 days I've read The Sea of Monsters and The Titan's Curse, books 2 and 3 in the Percy Jackson series. I can't wait to get home to the library and get the next book!

Current: Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner. I just started this one, but it seems okay so far. Also reading The Everything World's Religions Book, which is interesting.

Next: Hm. Probably the Children's Book by A.S. Byatt or Savage Lands by Clare Clark, since I have them sitting next to me. If I go home before I finish the two I'm reading now, the next one will definitely be book 4 of the Percy Jackson series!

(And... thanks for this thread. I had forgotten Mockingjay would be out soon, and I needed to request it. I'm number 13, with 6 copies being ordered.)

Just finished a trilogy by Kelley McCullough Webmage, Cybermancy, and Codespell. It is in a world were the Greek Gods are still running things behind the scenes and have mixed magic with computers. The main character is Ravirn, who is a grandson of Fate, specifically Lachesis, and his familiar, a webgoblin named Melchior. www.kelleymccullough.com It's pretty good. There are 2 other books in the series that I need to find.

Next: Todd McCaffrey's newest in the Pern series.

I just finished the Oxford Dictionary of Civil War Quotes and it was fabulous. I stayed awake too late for three nights finishing it, and gave it to an RN at work who also homeschools and HE stayed up past his bed time reading it. Excerpts from diaries, letters, speeches, war correspondents, telegrams. Great for getting a "feel" about this remarkable war. Could easily be read by a 9th grader.

Edited by kalanamak

I just finished The Latin Centered Curriculum by Drew Campbell. I need to go through this again see what I can incorporate into our homeschool. I have a problem with wanting to cover everything, so I'm looking for some help in paring things down. Definitely inspiring.

I'm in the middle of two books at the moment. I purchased The Complete Sherlock Holmes Collection by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for my kindle. It was a bargain at 99 cents. No active table of contents, but I don't mind reading it cover to cover. I've never been into detective stories or mysteries, much to the dismay of my mother, so I was surprised by how much I'm enjoying these stories.

I just started Confessions of a Prairie B***ch by Alison Arngrim. I really love her sense of humor. She handles the abuse by her brother in a very matter of fact way which I'm not sure how to interpret, but it is early in the book. So far it is an interesting read.

I have 120 books on my kindle waiting to be read, so it's hard to say what is next. I'm leaning towards A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. I've wanted to re-read this (and the rest of the series) for a while now and it will help pass the time waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for A Dance with Dragons to come out. If it's not out by the time I've re-read all of them I will never again buy a book in a series unless the series is complete. Really.

Last: "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. Excellent book about a woman who has been diagnosed with early onset Altzheimers.

Current: "The Once and Future King" by T.H.White. So far I am enjoying this book about King Arthur.

Next: "Case Histories" Can't remember the author.

Reading with the kids: "Redwall"

last one i've read: i haven't read a whole book this summer (except the big picture story bible), mainly snippets....last june i read a wrinkle in time, jane austen book club and lcc1 & 2.

i'm working on harry potter and listening to the hunger games

up next...probably the next potter, next one in the hunger games trilogy and more homeschooling reference "stuff" (climbing parnassus and liping ma).

with the boys either beatrix potter or winnie the pooh.