Menu

Let's Do Lunch - Homeschool Style!

With the new school year coming, it could be really helpful to have a printout of easy lunch idea. So let's each post one full menu.

RULES:

1. Please do not include "leftovers" as your menu item. You can use leftover shredded chicken or some other basic ingredient as part of your menu plan if you are incorporating it into the meal. For instance:

Chicken Quesadillas - leftover shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, salsa, refried beans spread on a ww tortilla. Spray pan lightly with cooking spray, heat till hot, Cook Quesadilla till brown on both sides.

2. Recipe preparation must take 10 minutes or less. (Bake time can be a longer, but remember this should be simple)

3. Meals should be healthy and well balanced.

4. Please format it like mine for easy reading.

THANKS!!!

Here is my contribution:

MENU

Hot Ham & Cheese Pockets

Carrot Sticks

Apple Slices with Cinnamon

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Take one 8 oz can. of Pillsbury Refrigerated Crescent Rolls and separate dough into 4 rectangles. Firmly press perforations to seal. On ungreased cookier sheet, press or roll each to form a 7x5-inch rectangle. Place diced ham and shredded cheddar cheese on each rectangle. Fold dough in half over filling; press edges to seal. Bake for 10 - 13 minutes. Makes 4 sandwiches.

MENU

Pita Pizza

Fruit Medley with Yogurt

Preheat oven to 450, place pan inside to heat. Lightly oil bottom of pita bread with olive oil. Top with Newman's Own Marinara Sauce, Mozzerella Cheese, and toppings (black olives, turkey pepperoni, green peppers, onions, leftover cooked hamburger, etc...) Bake until bubbly. For an added touch, sprinkly parmesan cheese on the crust right out of the oven.

Fruit Medley: Slice 1-2 apples into bite size pieces. Mix with Grapes, Strawberries and bananas. Mix in a couple of spoonfuls of strawberry yogurt. Serve.

Edited by Michelle My Bell

Left-over Soup

1 qt low-sodium chicken broth

1 lb left over meat, diced (you can use chicken, beef or pork)

1 lb frozen mixed veggies

1 15 oz can diced tomatoes

1 8 oz can tomato sauce

2 oz whole wheat pasta

pinch of basil

minced garlic

Bring it all to boil then add pasta, reduce heat and low boil until pasta is done.

Serve with bread and butter and fruit

Nachos

Fresh Veggies and Ranch

Fruit

Nachos - layer lots of blue chips on a jelly roll pan. Mix refried beans, chili powder and cumin with just enough salsa so you can drip/drop it off the spoon onto the chips. Top that with shredded cheese, chopped red onions, green peppers and drip more plain salsa over the top. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and yummy-looking. Serve topped with avocados and/or sour cream.

Edited by LauraGB

gosh. I'm a bad mom. LOL

Lunch is whatever the kids fix for themselves. LOL Sandwiches usually, sometimes meat, cheese and crackers (homemade lunchables), sometimes leftovers nuked in the microwave.

I just dont have any desire to make 3 time and labor intensive meals a day. LOL

:iagree:

Lunch is 'catch as catch can' around here. And yes, often times its just 'leftovers' unless the kids settle for sandwiches, etc.

They dance with joy if its just leftovers :lol:

Ravioli - frozen from Trader Joe's with fresh parm

Bagel sandwiches - ham, turkey, and cheese with a little honey mustard placed inside a bagel, wrapped in foil and popped into the oven.

Pancakes - I don't really like to start my morning off with cleaning up the kitchen, but the kids love them so why not for lunch!

Eggs - same as above!

Roast Beef Wrap

Carrots with Hummus Dip

Roast Beef Wrap

1 large flour tortilla or wrap bread

3-4 thin slices roast beef

Cream cheese

Lettuce

On the large tortilla spread cream cheese. Next put roast beef slices on the tortilla. Then put the lettuce on top of the roast beef. Roll up your wrap. Cut it in half.

1. Mini pizza (or Pizza Faces if you have little ones)-

-Arnold Sandwich Thins

-Tomato Sauce

-Mozz cheese, veggies, olives, etc...we've even used cooked spaghetti for hair

Assemble and broil till cheese is bubbly

Add carrot sticks & fruit

2. Pizza Sandwiches

Essentially, grilled cheese w/ spaghetti sauce

Add veggies & fruit

3. Lettuce Wraps

-Whole Romaine lettuce 'hearts'

-Chicken strips

-Shredded Cheese

-Ranch Dressing

Use Romaine as 'shell' and fill w/ cooked chicken strips, cheese, veggies & ranch dressing- very quick & yummy :)

Using the Artisan Bread in 5 Mins a Day, Basic Boule

Monday: Pita Bread

Tuesday: Cinnamon Scrolls

Wednesday: Calzones

Thursday: Sandwiches

Friday: Zucchini and Pinenut Pizza

Monday: Hamburgers

Tuesday: Pizza

Wednesday: Cheesy Scrolls

Thursday: Toasted English Muffins, topped with bacon and egg

Friday: Soup with Garlic Flat Bread

Potato Soup

Garlic Toast

Cucumber Sticks

Peel and chop potatoes and carrots (1 of each per person)

Peel, chop, and saute one onion with above carrots. Salt and Pepper vegs.

Add Potatoes. Add enough broth to cover veggies. Add any seasonings you wish to add (thyme or hot sauce or worchestershire sauce or ?)

Cook until potatoes and carrots are mushy

Mash right in pot with broth. After it has cooled for a minute or so--add shredded cheese of your choice. May add dairy product at this point---sour cream, cream, yougurt, half and half, milk, soy milk, or not.

Baked Potato with topping of choice

Grilled cheese & Ham Sandwiches with fresh fruit, veggie

Grilled pizza sandwiches-use pizza sauce,sliced mozzarella, and whatever

else you desire

Tuna Salad with carrot sticks

Peanut Butter & Jelly with veggie soup

Chicken Salad sandwiches with grapes

English Muffin Pizza

Taco Salad

Egg Salad Sandwiches

Mac & Cheese, salad and applesauce

Hot ham and cheese sandwiches, pretzels, grapes.

(assemble deli/thin sliced ham and meltable cheese of your choice on a roll or bun, wrap in foil and heat in oven til warm and gooey)

BBQ ham sandwich, yogurt, carrot sticks/celery sticks/sweet pepper strips with Ranch dressing

(BBQ ham--in a saucepan combine thin sliced/deli ham and your favorite BBQ sauce. Heat til warm through and serve on rolls--or if your kids are messy like mine, on hot dog buns)

Hummus and stuff. Whatever you can find. (Pretzels--hard or soft, veggie sticks, pita chips, toast triangles, cheese chunks etc.) Add fruit and vanilla or lemon flavored yogurt for dipping.

Hardboiled eggs, celery with cream cheese or peanut butter, apple or pear slices.

Sloppy Joes with homemade fries

Chili Cheese fries

Pot of bean soup with homemade bread

BBQ Cups/Taco Cups--flatten refrigerated biscuit dough and place in jumbo size muffin tins. Brown ground beef and either stir in bbq sauce/taco seasoning. Spoon into muffin tin over biscuits. Top with cheddar cheese. Bake. Serve with a salad

Pillsbury Grands Biscuit Pizzas:

1 can of any type Grands Biscuit, Instant pizza sauce, shredded mozzarella cheese. Heat oven to 375. Flatten the biscuits onto a lightly sprayed pan, spoon on some sauce, top with cheese and any other toppings. Bake for 10-12 min. Easy, fast & the kids can do it themselves too!

gosh. I'm a bad mom. LOL

Lunch is whatever the kids fix for themselves. LOL Sandwiches usually, sometimes meat, cheese and crackers (homemade lunchables), sometimes leftovers nuked in the microwave.

I just dont have any desire to make 3 time and labor intensive meals a day. LOL

Me too!

7 year old is picky so she prepares her own lunch which is usually Ramen Noodles, Sandwich, Hot Pocket, Chicken Nuggets, Hot Dog, etc. with a side of fruit and a veggie.

We eat lots of:

Fried egg sandwiches (on bread or mini bagel)

Homemade pizza (I raid the 'day old' bread rack at the bakery for italian, french, and rustic loaves, and freeze them to use for pizza at a later date)

Bean burritos

Cheese ravioli (frozen) with marinara sauce (from a jar)

Baked potatoes with toppings

Cheeseburgers (frozen turkey burger patties cook up in about 5 minutes)

Pasta primavera (whole grain pasta cooked, drained, and tossed with olive oil and whatever veggies we have on hand that need to be used up, garlic, herbs, etc.)

Macaroni soup (elbow macaroni, ground beef, a can or two of diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, bell pepper)

Quesadillas

shredded cheese between 2 tortillas grilled in the george forman

Pizzadillas

Mozza cheese and pepperoni slices between 2 tortillas grilled in the george forman

Hot sandwiches

grill favorite sandwich in the george forman

Lunchables-style lunch

sliced summer sausage, crackers, and cheese

Mac-n-cheese or shells-n-cheese (I switch it up for variety)

Beans, yellow rice, and cheese (sometimes add in leftover meat)

Rice: In a 3 qt pot, add 2 cups basmati rice, 4 1/2 cups water, 6 chicken buillion cubes, about 1 t onion powder, 1 t garlic powder, and 1 t turmeric (I just sprinkle it in so it's approximate). Bring to a boil and simmer on low, covered, for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, stir, and let sit on warm burner for 5 more minutes to soften.

For the GFCF crowd:

Japanese rice balls (sticky rice smooshed together - google onigiri for instructions)

Tuna salad

Carrot sticks & Sugar Snap Peas

GF Rice Cakes topped with peanut butter and honey

Apple Slices

Favorite Kale Smoothie (a complete meal in itself! Serves 2-4):

1 cup kale (about 3 leaves)

2 bananas

1 pint strawberries

1/2 avocado

1/4 cup hemp protein powder

2 cups water

Put all in blender and blend until smooth. Yum!

Lunch is whatever the kids fix for themselves.

Yep: lunch is fend-fer-yerself 'round here. I justify it this way: it teaches them independence, allows them to feel proud of themselves and try new creations, and gives them hands-on with a nutrition curriculum. Breakfast is similar most days. (Ssssh! They even help me make dinner! :tongue_smilie:)

Today, its baked beans on toast (on baked potato instead of toast for me) with bacon on top.

I am trying to get more protein into my kids- we are mostly vegetarian but my growing son is not eating well and tends to have too many carbs.

MENU

French dip sandwiches

raw veggie (cukes, baby carrots, tomatoes are favorites here)

applesauce or raw fruit (banana, apple, peach, pineapple, whatever)

For french dips, warm one can of beef consomme in saucepan, and add enough roast beef deli meat for your crowd (we use the Boar's Head Oven Roast Beef, it's sooo good.) Once it's heated through, fill sub rolls (or cut portions of french bread) with roast beef and top with pepper-jack or provolone cheese. Pop in the oven to broil until cheese is melted. Give each person a ramekin of the warm consomme to dip their sandwich into. These are good for quick dinners, too - very filling!

Note: if you let the consomme boil, the deli meat will shrivel/curl up like crazy, lol. I try not to let it get that hot, but more often than not, I don't. It still tastes good, though!

Yep: lunch is fend-fer-yerself 'round here. I justify it this way: it teaches them independence, allows them to feel proud of themselves and try new creations, and gives them hands-on with a nutrition curriculum. Breakfast is similar most days. (Ssssh! They even help me make dinner! :tongue_smilie:)

:lol: So I'm not a bad mother?? I'm just teaching them independence? Phew!

ETA: I am copying and pasting all these recipes. I'd love to be a little less neglectful about feeding my kids. ;) I'll let dd pick some out every week and keep me accountable.

Edited by bonniebeth4

I often do chalupas - made with seasoned ground beef that I keep made in advance and frozen. Take a flat crispy corn tortilla, smear on some warm refried beans, cooked/seasoned ground beef and grated cheese. Put under broiler until cheese melts. Top with lettuce, tomato, and fave salsa.

Stir Fry - using leftover rice and meat plus frozen veggies. Saute in skillet until all cooked. I season with soy sauce and five spice powder to our taste.

Pigs in a Blanket - hot dogs wrapped in dough (I use cheap biscuits) served with fresh fruit and veggies (usually carrot and celery sticks)

English Muffin pizzas

My son's favorite though is box mac and cheese with fish sticks. His other fave is frozen pizza with canned fruit cocktail. Or some crazy frozen Banquet meal. I admit I keep them around occassionally for those days when even a PBJ is more than I can make.

My kids won't eat sandwiches unless we are out and about. They had too many in public school lol. My daughter won't eat meat other than an occasional chicken nugget (and that is with lots of pushing by me)

Pizza on a Stick

Cut string cheese into cubes and put on a skewer with pepperoni slices, ham cubes, meatballs, and cherry tomatoes.

We tend to have:

Bagel/Muffin/Pita pizzas

Tomato soup and grill cheese

Cheese Quesadillas

Chicken nuggets and tator tots or fries

Macaroni and cheese

Baked Potatoes w/toppings

Taco Bar (daughter loves shells with cheese, lettuce, and tomato)

Hamburgers (dd eats bun with cheese)

Pasta of some sort w/buffalo chicken strips for my meat eating son and apples or celery w/peanut butter or cream cheese or my dd

_served with whatever fruit we got in our produce box and some sort of veggie (DS will eat carrot sticks, lettuce, broccoli and DD will eat carrots, tomatoes, and cucumbers)

vegetable noodle soups & biscuts

vegetable noodle soup

16 oz beef broth

2 cans condenced tomato soup

2 cans diced tomaotes

frozen vegetables

diced cabbage

quick barley

alphabet noodles(or whatever soup noodes you want)

-put all ingredients except noodles into a pot and simmer until everything is soft, add noodles and simmer until they are done. Serve with biscuts or some other bread and you are done.

Mock Stir-Fry

I cook up a LOT of rice at the beginning busy weeks to keep in the fridge.

I boil a few lbs of chicken at the same time (different pan :D)

These I keep on hand for the week, but on that first day, I heat up 2 bags of frozen veggies at the same time that these cook.

My basic sauce:

4 Tb arrowroot powder (cornstarch would be fine)

2 Tb soy sauce (completely guessing here)

and something sweet...today, I pureed a leftover hunk of cantaloupe into it. Agave nectar, apricot jelly, whatever works.

I stir this together and then pour over the nearly-cooked veggies (which still have some water with them.) Bring the sauce to a boil and then pile it all on plates.

Lots of leftover chicken for chicken salad sandwiches and lots of rice for rice pudding or casseroles later.

• 2 weeks later...