Menu

True Confessions... the PS down the street..

I am starting our school next week and the house is a mess, I'm not ready with all the subjects and I'm tired.

So, yesterday all three of us were driving to Lowes and as we drove past the local elementary school. I thought, " I COULD just buy the school clothes and supplies and get them here every morning on time. That and help with homework and I'd be DONE ! Wow, that would be SOOOOO easy." I could,,, I really could. It's not like it's illegal"

Does anyone else ever have these thoughts. I don't mean, life has thrown you a curve in illness, or unexpected baby... etc, just " durn, I'm tired"

~Christine in al

Maybe it's time for an overhaul. Something more, well, fun, that you can enjoy learning together. In ways you can enjoy learning it. Hands on activities, field trips, discussions, movies, games, long walks, lots and lots of reading. If you tend to be more textbook/workbookish/rigorous, maybe it's time for a long break and a big change, particularly if this feeling you're having is more than just fleeting.

Yup! The public school district that we're in is just plain awful, but some days I think it'd be SO much easier to go in, set up an IEP for each kid, and hand them off. I could even have them ride the Big Yellow Cheese Wagon (bus).

Instead, I drive DD to a private school (for now... we'll see how she handles it), and we start next Thursday. DS and I follow her schedule and so start the same day.

I was just thinking this morning about how easy it would be to have a clean house and nice meals if I wasn't homeschooling. It is kind of like winning the lottery; fun to dream about but I would never actually buy a ticket.

A Fall Garden would be lovely. and ... uhm.... maybe ( sheepish) I've overdone our schedule...

ds 5th

Latin Prep ( just starting )

Right STart Math and Evan Moor Daily word problems and Key to...

WWE

FLL 4

Discovery Education Spanish ( mostly on his own)

History Odessy ( will we EVER get out of the Middle Ages?!?!)

Cursive ( last year, when he's done with this workbook that's good)

AAS ( going back to get some foundation)

Literature reading list, (we'll talk about every few books)

Memory work

Science tutor every Friday

piano

TaeKwonDo

Chess Club

Writing club

Soccer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dd nearly 8 (3rd grade)

Getting Starting with Latin (both finished Minimus and Song School)

Right STart Math and Evan Moor Daily word problems

WWE

FLL

L'Art de Lire and Petit Pont French

SoTW ( AGAIN will we EVER get out of the Middle Ages?!?!)

Cursive ( last year for her too probably, )

AAS

Literature reading list, (we'll talk about every few books)

Memory work

Science tutor every Friday

piano

TaeKwonDo

Horseback Riding

Writing club

uhm, no wonder I'm tired, huh?

~christine in al

I love the idea of clean house, nice meals.

adore the lottery ticket metaphor.

And our school district isn't even lousy. ( did I just spell that it doesn't have lice?) I'd feel guilty too. not if I got sick, or had an external need to put them in. I think eveyr situation is diffferent and I'm not judgemental AT ALL about those who do " opt in"

My fantasy even went.... " what about for just one year,,, or, heck even til Chrstmas break.... ooohhh"

I'll not do that to them, They'd make friends and then want to stay ( I think)

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has thought this way.

~c.

The first 2 or 3 years I thought, "Oh, it'd be so much easier, then I could get some rest and work done too, all in one day!" However, when I REALLY thought about it, I knew I didn't want my kids in a daily environment of peer pressure, shoddy education, bullies, wasted time, and learning to hate/dislike learning! At that point, I'd remind myself of all the GOOD and GREAT things about homeschooling, and know I wanted to homeschool as long as possible! Besides, we enjoyed staying warm and cozy in our pj's and felt sorry for the kids that stood out to wait for the bus early in the morning, even with snow and ice and rain....:D

Having just graduated dd from a private Christian school, my take on it is how many THOUSANDS of dollars I am saving my husband by homeschooling these last two as well as not being driven by someone else's schedules and "mandatory" everything. I'm loving life right now:)

I am starting our school next week and the house is a mess, I'm not ready with all the subjects and I'm tired.

Why? Why not take some time to get your plans ready (1 week), get your house ready (1 week), and get yourself rested (1 week).

Would three weeks do it? If so, take them, unless there's a law where you live that dictates when you must begin homeschooling each year.

Why? Why not take some time to get your plans ready (1 week), get your house ready (1 week), and get yourself rested (1 week).

Would three weeks do it? If so, take them, unless there's a law where you live that dictates when you must begin homeschooling each year.

:iagree:

I refuse to begin a new school year unless I am completely ready. I haven't even set a date yet. I will know when I can give myself the green light. :001_smile:Clean and organize your house, pamper yourself with a trip shopping or for a quiet meal or an ice cream cone in the park. Gather your school goodies and make sure your organizational plan is within sight. Make a *to do* list and cross things off as you finish them. Do not start until you can take a nice deep breath and feel ready.

I don't know...

In the past I have hated not being done in Spring, and getting our days in gets hard as we take off one here and one there and then they add up. And we'll still be in the stinking Middle Ages.

We live in Alabama so our state laws are very lax.. But the local system requires 180 so I try to match that ( self inflicted)

Starting next week is my deadline so I'll be ahead of ps.. This sounds so silly when I write it.

I'd be stressed more if I took off three more weeks, ( I think)

But I am trying on the idea of one more ... and that feels pretty luxurious.

thanks so much for the permission ( sounds pitiful I know, but having someone else say it just changes things. )

~Christine

I refuse to begin a new school year unless I am completely ready. I haven't even set a date yet. I will know when I can give myself the green light. :001_smile:Clean and organize your house, pamper yourself with a trip shopping or for a quiet meal or an ice cream cone in the park. Gather your school goodies and make sure your organizational plan is within sight. Make a *to do* list and cross things off as you finish them. Do not start until you can take a nice deep breath and feel ready.

I love this idea & I am stealing it! Last year we started without being ready & I felt behind & stressed out all year.

As for the OP, whenever I fantasize about putting the dc in school, my dh very wisely points out that I will just be trading one set of issues for a different set. I think that sometimes when you've hs'd from the beginning you get "the-grass-is-greener" syndrome because you haven't experienced the real problems that often come with parenting with the public school. Some of my kids would do fine in school, but some of them would be eaten alive! They can all do well at home, so that's where we'll stay.

oh I had a melt down today, we home school in Alabama, and choose to school through summer so we can enjoy the fall outside (when the temperature is not in the 90's)

But today my 13 yo had some questions in science just (6 little questions)

His answers

1. No, No

2. Woods

3. Bottom

4. Cause it does the same thing as mold

5. you never know

6. what kind of rock is it?

So he comes and tells me he is finished for the day and he is out the door, I call him back and say we have to check work first and the above is what I got:lol:

So I have a fit and explain about all the work I do to prepare for his education and he turns in something that lazy etc.

He says mom I know the answers and does give a very good answer but to lazy to write the answer. So I tell him I am to lazy to continue home schooling:D

I am really feeling very unappreciated and just want to put them in school

But having experience with the PS, i know that it is not the solution

He did come back later and apologize and sees that I have a point about the quality of his work. So hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

So, yesterday all three of us were driving to Lowes and as we drove past the local elementary school. I thought, " I COULD just buy the school clothes and supplies and get them here every morning on time. That and help with homework and I'd be DONE ! Wow, that would be SOOOOO easy." I could,,, I really could. It's not like it's illegal"

Does anyone else ever have these thoughts. I don't mean, life has thrown you a curve in illness, or unexpected baby... etc, just " durn, I'm tired"

~Christine in al

Yes, yes, a million times yes. Dh and I call this "knowing too much." If I didn't know I was doing the right thing... If I didn't know they were getting a better education... If I didn't know how terrible our local ps is...

Oh, my life would be so much easier *right now* if I didn't know all that. As it is, I'm happy to know it will be easier in the future ;) (and if it's not going to be easier I don't want to know).

I think that sometimes when you've hs'd from the beginning you get "the-grass-is-greener" syndrome because you haven't experienced the real problems that often come with parenting with the public school.

I think you are absolutely right! My daughter went to public school for all of K, all of 1st Grade, all of 2nd Grade, and most of 3rd Grade before I pulled her out.

I then homeschooled her for the rest of 3rd Grade, all of 4th Grade, and I'm looking forward to homeschooling her for 5th Grade- and to having my young son with me home all along, right from the beginning.

So having had the experience of both, granted I'm still 'relatively' new to homeschooling- but to me, homeschooling is LESS stressful than public school was!

When my daughter was in public school, I had to wake up early, to an alarm clock, nearly every day. I had to wake my daughter up early, and she didn't like waking up early. So getting her out of bed could be stressful. She was a dawdler, so I had to stress over getting her up, ready, and out the door on time, so we didn't miss the bus.

We had to wait at the bus stop, rain or shine, regardless of whether it was hot as heck out, or bitterly cold out. Sometimes I worried about whether the bus would get her there safely. Whether there were bullies on the bus, and whether there were inappropriate things being said/done by the older kids on the bus. Whether the bus driver was a good one and so on.

She went to school all day but I didn't feel she was getting a well-rounded curriculum, she was being taught what was on standardized testing. I didn't feel she had much of a chance to just play, socialize, let off steam, because they had silent lunches, and mere 10-15 minute recesses- which she was often losing, even in K and 1st, as a punishment for being too chatty in the classroom.

In those earliest years, there was a lot of academics, no time to blow off steam, no real "socialization," not much fun, she was losing recesses, getting a "demerit" in 1st grade (for talking too much, which led to her coming home and sobbing "I got a d-d-demerit, and I don't even know what that is, but it's b-bad!).

No matter what I was doing, I had to drop everything to be at the bus at a certain time of day to pick her up again.

She'd come home at the end of this long day (not getting home til like 3:40, 3:45 often), and she'd have homework. And her homework would often take her an hour or more.

By the end of the day, she was tired, I was tired, we weren't really enjoying each other, and I had to play the part of the school's enforcer- taking this kid who wants nothing more than to play and run around and do her own thing, and forcing her to do homework instead. It was eating into our family time. She wouldn't finish til dinner time.

She'd have very little time to go play and do her own thing, and then it was time to start getting ready for bed, because it was "a school night," and I had to get her to bed on the early side, so the next day she could get up and do the same thing all over again. And again. And again.

Filling out forms, permission slips, getting necessary supplies, overseeing homework and 'reports' and doing things the school's way, parent-teacher conferences, bus schedules, school schedules, having to revolve everything in our lives around the school calendar, having to get "permission" every time I wanted to keep my kid out of school to do something I wanted us to do as a family....

I couldn't stand any of it!

And then throw in all the stress stomach aches from all the pressure they put on the kids to do well on testing, the notes that would come home about how someone had lice, or foot-and-mouth disease, or MRSA, worrying about swine flu, and so on.

Homeschooling? I've loved the freedom to do our own thing, on our own time, on our own schedule, no pressure, no rush... it's been great!

So no I never, EVER (so far) think about wanting to put my kid back in PS or that that would be easier or any such thing. BUT if I ever started feeling burnt out about homeschooling, then like I said, I'd evaluate how I was going about it. It's fun right now- and I want it to stay fun to whatever extent it possibly can!

Guest Dulcimeramy
I think you are absolutely right! My daughter went to public school for all of K, all of 1st Grade, all of 2nd Grade, and most of 3rd Grade before I pulled her out.

I then homeschooled her for the rest of 3rd Grade, all of 4th Grade, and I'm looking forward to homeschooling her for 5th Grade- and to having my young son with me home all along, right from the beginning.

So having had the experience of both, granted I'm still 'relatively' new to homeschooling- but to me, homeschooling is LESS stressful than public school was!

When my daughter was in public school, I had to wake up early, to an alarm clock, nearly every day. I had to wake my daughter up early, and she didn't like waking up early. So getting her out of bed could be stressful. She was a dawdler, so I had to stress over getting her up, ready, and out the door on time, so we didn't miss the bus.

We had to wait at the bus stop, rain or shine, regardless of whether it was hot as heck out, or bitterly cold out. Sometimes I worried about whether the bus would get her there safely. Whether there were bullies on the bus, and whether there were inappropriate things being said/done by the older kids on the bus. Whether the bus driver was a good one and so on.

She went to school all day but I didn't feel she was getting a well-rounded curriculum, she was being taught what was on standardized testing. I didn't feel she had much of a chance to just play, socialize, let off steam, because they had silent lunches, and mere 10-15 minute recesses- which she was often losing, even in K and 1st, as a punishment for being too chatty in the classroom.

In those earliest years, there was a lot of academics, no time to blow off steam, no real "socialization," not much fun, she was losing recesses, getting a "demerit" in 1st grade (for talking too much, which led to her coming home and sobbing "I got a d-d-demerit, and I don't even know what that is, but it's b-bad!).

No matter what I was doing, I had to drop everything to be at the bus at a certain time of day to pick her up again.

She'd come home at the end of this long day (not getting home til like 3:40, 3:45 often), and she'd have homework. And her homework would often take her an hour or more.

By the end of the day, she was tired, I was tired, we weren't really enjoying each other, and I had to play the part of the school's enforcer- taking this kid who wants nothing more than to play and run around and do her own thing, and forcing her to do homework instead. It was eating into our family time. She wouldn't finish til dinner time.

She'd have very little time to go play and do her own thing, and then it was time to start getting ready for bed, because it was "a school night," and I had to get her to bed on the early side, so the next day she could get up and do the same thing all over again. And again. And again.

Filling out forms, permission slips, getting necessary supplies, overseeing homework and 'reports' and doing things the school's way, parent-teacher conferences, bus schedules, school schedules, having to revolve everything in our lives around the school calendar, having to get "permission" every time I wanted to keep my kid out of school to do something I wanted us to do as a family....

And then throw in all the stress stomach aches from all the pressure they put on the kids to do well on testing, the notes that would come home about how someone had lice, or foot-and-mouth disease, or MRSA, worrying about swine flu, and so on.

Homeschooling? I've loved the freedom to do our own thing, on our own time, on our own schedule, no pressure, no rush... it's been great!

So no I never, EVER (so far) think about wanting to put my kid back in PS or that that would be easier or any such thing. BUT if I ever started feeling burnt out about homeschooling, then like I said, I'd evaluate how I was going about it. It's fun right now- and I want it to stay fun to whatever extent it possibly can!

Thank you. I had a feeling there were chiggers in that greener grass, but I'm with the OP about daydreaming that things were different!

I sometimes look longingly at the school when I drive past, but only on especially difficult days. I then run through the mental checklist of reasons I took them out of school (and it looks a lot like the one above) and tell myself that we've got the greener grass.

~Christine in al

Oh, yes! I did have those thoughts and I finally gave in and put my kids in public school and the baby went to Mother's Day Out two times a week and those quiet days at home were blissful.

BUT the kids came home with HOURS of homework (1st and 3rd grade). I was spending as much time working on homework as I had homeschooling and it was at the end of the day when everyone was tired and cranky. Then there was a lot of stress over getting them to bed on time because they had to get up early and dragging them out of bed in the mornings became a real hassle. Then I had to just deal with tired, unhappy, sleep deprived, stressed out kids. And they kept getting sick and I had to send them back to school when they weren't totally recovered because if they missed too much school they would have way too much work to make up. And then my daughter got lice.

When they were all home for Christmas vacation, life became blissful and I couldn't bear to send them back to school. I didn't like the stress of it all and I missed them. So I brought them home. We are all much happier homeschooling.

Susan in TX

My DD was in public school until 11th grade. I pulled her out one month into 11th grade and put her in private school (when she finally qualified for a scholarship). During our time in public school we dealt with the following:

• 4th Grade: DD gets her first exposure to internet porn. On a school computer. From another child. No explanation from the school. We found out about it when DD tried to re-enter the URL on one of our PCs at home. Thank God she misspelled it, but it was obvious what she was looking for. School did nothing about it when we informed them.
  • 7th Grade: a reading teacher took it upon herself to tell the children in class that George W. Bush was going to ruin our beaches by putting oil refineries there. They would no longer be able to swim safely, or enjoy an unobstructed view of the ocean. After DD came home in tears, I contacted the teacher and was given the big blow off. So I contacted the Principal, had a meeting, and was told that the reading teacher would no longer be promoting political causes during READING class.
  • 7th Grade: the same reading teacher conducted an in-class poll of who the children wanted to vote for for POTUS (Bush vs. Kerry). My DD and one other child voted for Bush. The teacher and the class snickered at my DD and the other child. They were told that they were only espousing their parents' views, and they should open their minds to other POVs.
  • 8th Grade: students were forced to watch 'An Inconvenient Truth' movie, the write an essay on it. DD took an opposing view and received a C. When asked about why she received a C, the teacher told her that the movie wasn't based on theory, it was based on fact. Despite finding evidence to the contrary, and documenting her footnotes, her teacher would not increase the grade. There were no grammatical or spelling errors that he could find.
  • 10th Grade: a math teacher had a casual conversation with several girls during class about a Jodi Picoult novel, in which, 'rainbow parties' was brought up. DD had no idea what a rainbow party was (and neither did I, until I read the book).
  • 11th Grade: first day of school, the AP English teacher tells the students, in great detail, of her "first lesbian Turkish bath experience" from over the summer.
  • 11th Grade: After the Turkish bath incident, Dh and I were looking into private schools. DD mentioned this to her Journalism teacher, who then proceeds to berate the school we're thinking of sending DD to, and tells DD that he will do everything in his power to make sure we don't put her there. He tells her, "have your mom call me. I'll take care of this for you." This adds to DD's anxiety of going to a new school, and makes the process much, much more difficult.

So no, I don't even entertain the idea of sending my boys to public school. While I have no problem with people of opposing world views, I prefer to teach my children MY POV before I send them to be a captive audience for a teacher with an agenda, or expose them to children whose parents are less...watchful, than I am.

When my boys attended private school (PreK and K), they had a class bully. The boy relentlessly picked on my youngest DS. My older DS was in trouble every day for sticking up for his little brother on the playground. Every. Single. Day. the teacher would tell me DS7 was in time out for fighting with that kid. That bully CHANGED my youngest DS's personality. He was no longer sweet and fun-loving. He was angry all of the time. DS7 was angry all of the time because he was in trouble every day. The school would do nothing about the bully because his parents paid for him to attend that school. The bully didn't just terrorize my boys either. He terrorized several children. And nothing was done about him. Even the teacher would sympathize, but she was powerless to do more than sit him in time out AFTER the fact.

I am accused of trying to keep my children in a bubble. To that I say, perhaps that is true to some extent. But before I pop that bubble and let them see the world for what it is, I prefer to give them the tools to combat whatever comes their way. I prefer to keep them innocent for as long as I can. I prefer that my children not be a social experiment for government institutions, and I prefer that they don't learn theories as facts, and learn to trust the decisions I make for them, regardless of a teacher's opinion.

:rant:

Oh yes, and I've been homeschooling for over 23 years. It's so normal. What I have found though is when I get that way then I need a new perspective. Maybe a new curriculum, a new method, more time off. Whatever, just something. But putting them into PS is NOT and option so I have to keep myself in check and try to stay motivated!!:tongue_smilie: HTH

Tricia

My DD was in public school until 11th grade. I pulled her out one month into 11th grade and put her in private school (when she finally qualified for a scholarship). During our time in public school we dealt with the following:

• 4th Grade: DD gets her first exposure to internet porn. On a school computer. From another child. No explanation from the school. We found out about it when DD tried to re-enter the URL on one of our PCs at home. Thank God she misspelled it, but it was obvious what she was looking for. School did nothing about it when we informed them.

• 7th Grade: a reading teacher took it upon herself to tell the children in class that George W. Bush was going to ruin our beaches by putting oil refineries there. They would no longer be able to swim safely, or enjoy an unobstructed view of the ocean. After DD came home in tears, I contacted the teacher and was given the big blow off. So I contacted the Principal, had a meeting, and was told that the reading teacher would no longer be promoting political causes during READING class.

• 7th Grade: the same reading teacher conducted an in-class poll of who the children wanted to vote for for POTUS (Bush vs. Kerry). My DD and one other child voted for Bush. The teacher and the class snickered at my DD and the other child. They were told that they were only espousing their parents' views, and they should open their minds to other POVs.

• 8th Grade: students were forced to watch 'An Inconvenient Truth' movie, the write an essay on it. DD took an opposing view and received a C. When asked about why she received a C, the teacher told her that the movie wasn't based on theory, it was based on fact. Despite finding evidence to the contrary, and documenting her footnotes, her teacher would not increase the grade. There were no grammatical or spelling errors that he could find.

• 10th Grade: a math teacher had a casual conversation with several girls during class about a Jodi Picoult novel, in which, 'rainbow parties' was brought up. DD had no idea what a rainbow party was (and neither did I, until I read the book).

• 11th Grade: first day of school, the AP English teacher tells the students, in great detail, of her "first lesbian Turkish bath experience" from over the summer.

• 11th Grade: After the Turkish bath incident, Dh and I were looking into private schools. DD mentioned this to her Journalism teacher, who then proceeds to berate the school we're thinking of sending DD to, and tells DD that he will do everything in his power to make sure we don't put her there. He tells her, "have your mom call me. I'll take care of this for you." This adds to DD's anxiety of going to a new school, and makes the process much, much more difficult.

So no, I don't even entertain the idea of sending my boys to public school. While I have no problem with people of opposing world views, I prefer to teach my children MY POV before I send them to be a captive audience for a teacher with an agenda, or expose them to children whose parents are less...watchful, than I am.

When my boys attended private school (PreK and K), they had a class bully. The boy relentlessly picked on my youngest DS. My older DS was in trouble every day for sticking up for his little brother on the playground. Every. Single. Day. the teacher would tell me DS7 was in time out for fighting with that kid. That bully CHANGED my youngest DS's personality. He was no longer sweet and fun-loving. He was angry all of the time. DS7 was angry all of the time because he was in trouble every day. The school would do nothing about the bully because his parents paid for him to attend that school. The bully didn't just terrorize my boys either. He terrorized several children. And nothing was done about him. Even the teacher would sympathize, but she was powerless to do more than sit him in time out AFTER the fact.

I am accused of trying to keep my children in a bubble. To that I say, perhaps that is true to some extent. But before I pop that bubble and let them see the world for what it is, I prefer to give them the tools to combat whatever comes their way. I prefer to keep them innocent for as long as I can. I prefer that my children not be a social experiment for government institutions, and I prefer that they don't learn theories as facts, and learn to trust the decisions I make for them, regardless of a teacher's opinion.

:rant:

I'm so sorry your kids had to go through that. :grouphug: I sent my daughter to a 2 hr a day pre-k and she was also bullied. I do believe that has alot to do with her insecurities now. She is so shy it's painful.

I have dreamed it. I have threatened it with less than appreciative children. I even drove one to the school parking lot just to prove I would do it (to him) a couple of years ago. Thought about it again today when his pediatrician asked if he liked his school teachers and my child replied, "no." :glare:

Thought about it again today when his pediatrician asked if he liked his school teachers and my child replied, "no." :glare:

I know this was probably NOT funny to you but I wanted to let you know that this was the best laugh I've had today. I can sooooo see one of mine doing this just to be witty.

Nope. Never have those thoughts because my good friend has her children in ps and I hear about all the drama, homework headaches (that start after the kids get home around 4 pm), all the fundraisers, carpooling etc. It sounds like way more work and stress than anything I've experienced with homeschooling. :)

You didn't necessarily ask for ideas, but I thought I'd toss in a recommendation. You might consider taking one or two subject and getting prepared for that and starting those, then adding in one more at a time. That makes the planning/starting less stressful and you can make sure the children know what is expected for those two subjects and each one as you add it in. That helped me a lot when I had a lot of young children and was homeschooling several of them at once.

And the laundry and meals and housework... I know how that feels. I remember wanting to be "just a mom" and bake cookies a few times a week and keep a cleaner home. If I had it to do over again, I would involve the kids with the chores and stay consistent so that we worked more as a team... I always tried, but ended up doing most of the work myself and letting them play... and ignoring bedroom messes... to this day my oldest girls don't keep a tidy room...

And all that said... love them lots... they grow up so fast. :grouphug:

I don't REALLY think about putting the kids back in school, but every once in a while, I'll daydream a little. It's usually when I'm feeling overwhelmed or having a pity party for myself.

I live in an area where pretty much all of the moms I know are SAHM's. They drop or send the kids off to school, then head over to the local coffee house to sip coffee and chat. They run errands and window shop and listen to radio stations THEY want to listen to as they zip around. They go to the gym and exercise, have clean houses, clean clothes, beautiful gardens and nice meals on the table in the evenings. I know all of this because when my kids were in ps for a few years, I did the same thing.

Then I snap out of the "Stepford" dream and give my blessings for my dust, piles of dirty clothes and weeds, because my kids are with me every day and I get to watch them grow and learn and build a relationship with them and that's what all of my old girlfriends are missing.

Then I snap out of the "Stepford" dream and give my blessings for my dust, piles of dirty clothes and weeds, because my kids are with me every day and I get to watch them grow and learn and build a relationship with them and that's what all of my old girlfriends are missing.

AMEN to THAT 'sista!! Talk about perspective. I totally agree with what you're saying here.

I've been having a really hard time with whether or not to keep HSing my 7 y/o ds lately (we're starting on Monday) and I've decided (as of this afternoon) to keep going even though the road is *HARD* with that child. It would very realistically be *HARDER* with having him in PS. Especially since he would probably have an IEP and require more "tweeking" of his school work as the academics are increased.

Anyhoo...we are seeing the same picture on your statement that I quoted;).

Whenever I start to think the grass is greener (and it happens more often than I'd like), my dh always says, "Do you honestly think you'll ever regret spending this time homeschooling your children?? It's far more likely you'll regret NOT homeschooling them, don't you think?" And of course, he's right. I think the hardest part about sending your kids to ps is losing the "control"- you no longer have much say in what they see/don't see, hear/don't hear, who they play with, the books they need to read, the shows they watch, etc for 7-8 hours every weekday!

You know, when I was a young ps teacher, one of the "strategies" for controlling behavior was a seating chart. You had to spread the "bad kids" out among the good kids. Sometimes, the sweetest little girl in class ended up sitting beside some of the roughest boys. Now (after having my own girls) I shudder to think what some of the boys might have said to these girls. In fact, one of my friends told me that here at the local ps in 1st grade, one little "bad" boy did sit beside her friend's sweet, innocent daughter. He told her day after day what he wanted to do to her if he got the chance. Fortunately, the teacher overheard one of his "talks" to her and reported him to the principal. - By that time, the damage was done. The sweet little girl's innocence was taken from her. I only have to think about this story to reassure myself that my dh is right- I know I'll never regret hsing, but I may very well regret sending them to ps.

HA! This will be my first year hs and I haven't even began and am already daydreaming about sending her back to ps. The planning, time, money, decisions, responsibility is all on me. me. me. and this scares me to death! But then I think about the 30 minutes of ps homework each night, incompetent teachers, the pressure my dd faces daily from teachers to do better, permission slips, drop-off/pick-up fiasco, lunches, kissing on the playground (lack of supervision,) fundraisers, PTA meetings, dd sitting at her desk struggling w/ no help, exposure to sick children daily, teacher giving my dd answers to tests, IEP meetings, etc. is enough to snap me back into reality. real. quick!

School is a pain in the neck. I never wish for it. I resent the assignments we get and the schedule we're required to keep for Awanas and enrichment classes. I can't imagine an entire school year of assignments and schedules! Not for me. No thanks!

Every summer I go through the same thoughts of how much easier our life would be if the kids went to PS. Our financial picture would be very different for sure. I wonder often what it be like to have a "normal" life, but then I remember that our days in PS were filled with many abnormal things that caused so much stress. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be a parent who didn't care about what curriculum the kids used or what they were/were not exposed to at school. But I can't help but be bothered by these things...so we just keep homeschooling.

Lesley

NO, I don't ever think of doing that. Schools here are crap. Not to mention, I would miss my children more than I could say. When they would come home, I would miss them even more because I don't think they would be the same people.

Here is an inspiring post for you... http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198678

We all have the bad days, but I know that even on those days I still have my children and their hearts. I still know them. I still sing with them, dance with them and learn with them even on the bad days because we are together.

I have dreamed it. I have threatened it with less than appreciative children. I even drove one to the school parking lot just to prove I would do it (to him) a couple of years ago. Thought about it again today when his pediatrician asked if he liked his school teachers and my child replied, "no." :glare:

Oh my. I'm sure it wasn't all that funny at the time but it made me lol:)

:grouphug:

:lol:

Someone posted (last year maybe?) that they had answered the question, "Does your child get good grades?" with "Of course, I'm sleeping with the principal." Dh and I thought that was a riot, but we must've shared that joke one too many times. We had a teacher approach us in a store (to compliment my boys on their behavior :hurray:) and she asked ds about his grades. You can guess his response :blink: and no, he didn't bother to say that we homeschool.

I am going to print this up and put it in my Teacher Binder under the tab labeled "Motivation." ;)

Thanks!

I never have these thoughts.

I think public school was way more work.

Stressed kids, tired kids, permission slips forgotten so they make you miss recess, 9000 requests for money.

No thanks.

:iagree: That was my experience. And don't forgot the agony of homework; homework you often disagree with. And peer pressure among moms. And pressure to volunteer. And birthday parties. And running home for the forgotten project/lunch. Don't miss that.

I was just thinking this morning about how easy it would be to have a clean house and nice meals if I wasn't homeschooling. It is kind of like winning the lottery; fun to dream about but I would never actually buy a ticket.

:iagree:The initial thought is great...clean house, dinner on the table,plenty of time to play w/ the babies, time for my hobbies during the day etc...but then I start remembering why we pulled the kids out to begin with and that's when I remember why that is not as nice a thought as it seems. PS in my opinion is just not worth the trade to me. So I shall just continue to live with my messy, noisy, chaotic house, unplanned school lessons, and undone chores, and hobbies...?? What were hobbies again? But I shall live this way knowing that I am doing what is best for my children, even if it drives me NUTS at times!

Edited by Katiebug_1976

:iagree:The initial thought is great...clean house, dinner on the table,plenty of time to play w/ the babies, time for my hobbies during the day etc...but then I start remembering why we pulled the kids out to begin with and that's when I remember why that is not as nice a thought as it seems. PS in my opinion is just not worth the trade to me. So I shall just continue to live with my messy, noisy, chaotic house, unplanned school lessons, and undone chores, and hobbies...?? What were hobbies again? But I shall live this way knowing that I am doing what is best for my children, even if it drives me NUTS at times!

This is how I feel! School with DS1 literally sapped every bit of energy I had. I was trying so hard to keep on top of everything his teachers wanted and still keep him happy, healthy and successful in class. I think back to taking a toddler and a few week old baby into the classroom with me while I helped out 2 days a week. No kidding! I was SO exhausted and obviously a little crazy!

Its SO much easier not having to deal with bm school.