Menu

Hs kids transferring to ps behind in algebra?

I am a long way off from algebra (4 yo and 16 month olds) but I just talked to my neighbor, a math teacher at a local ps and she said lots of hs kids come in behind in math when transferring to ps. She said they'd used some well-regarded hs curriculum for math (don't know names). What they did to place them was to give them the final exam for say, Algebra I and if they passed it they'd be given credit for Algebra I and put in Algebra II, if not they'd have to repeat Algebra I. So here's my question, does anyone have any experience with this? And how do I, not liking math too much myself, teach advanced math? Any help?

If they're using a different scope and sequence, they may very well not do well on the PS test even if they've learned what they've been taught.

If the PS test used terminology with which they are unfamiliar, ditto.

If their program puts word problems in a specific format and the PS test put them in a different one, ditto.

Best bet (imo) since your kids are young is for you to make sure that you solidly know what you're going to teach them, and why it works rather than just how. I'd start with Liping Ma's book.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I've heard this about all grade levels (ps teachers saying hs students entering ps are behind) and think a lot of it has to do with the fact that most of the homeschoolers who are putting their children back into ps are usually putting them back onto ps because they aren't very good at it/aren't very dedicated/etc. Not ALL but probably the majority. They simply aren't seeing most of those who are the most successful.

I also think that your neighbor is also likely saying that to get in her digs at homeschooling, and/or trying to convince you not to homeschool. I especially think this because she doesn't have anything specific to say about publishers/etc. I take everything a ps school teacher has to say with a grain of salt unless I know them well enough to know they are being objective instead of critical.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
So how is this reconciled, like when they get to college and presumably everyone gets the same thing?

Not everyone gets the "same thing" in college. What classes they take will depend on their abilities. Teaching our children so that they truly understand math is what will help them the best in college.

I agree with Cheryl of SoCal. My sil, who worked in the public school, was totally against homeschooling. She once said to me, "Do you know how many kids coming back from homeschooling to public school are behind?!" She was very agitated and thought that she had a point. I simply replied, "Probably close to 100%. If they were doing well in homeschooling, they would not be going back to public school." She sings a different tune 10 years later after our children have grown up.

I had to enroll my dd in ps last fall. She started in 6th grade. Based on testing she was put in a GT class. After school started the teacher put dd in the highest math group within the GT class. This spring there was standardized tested to determine middle school math placement. I got the results yesterday. DD placed into the highest math available in middle school.

DS started ps in high school. He was also ahead in math (and other subjects). I have other friends whose children went into the nationally recognized math science magnet high school our district has without any problems.

So, no I do not think homeschoolers are always behind in math. Or in any other subject for that matter. It is a matter of the individual learner and the parent's approach and consistency. It is important that a parent recognize subjects which might be particularly difficult for the parent to teach and make careful choices about curriculum and/or seek help in that area. I know writing is a weakness for me so I was extra careful in looking for programs that worked for me and my kids and I was consistent in follow through. For a subject like math sticking with a curriculum also impacts consistency. Someone who routinely dumps math programs every few months or year could easily be creating unintended gaps for the student.

So, no I do not think homeschoolers are always behind in math. Or in any other subject for that matter. It is a matter of the individual learner and the parent's approach and consistency. It is important that a parent recognize subjects which might be particularly difficult for the parent to teach and make careful choices about curriculum and/or seek help in that area. I know writing is a weakness for me so I was extra careful in looking for programs that worked for me and my kids and I was consistent in follow through. For a subject like math sticking with a curriculum also impacts consistency. Someone who routinely dumps math programs every few months or year could easily be creating unintended gaps for the student.

:iagree:

My son has always been ahead in math, but I have a degree in math. Now writing is another matter. We have had to work hard over the past 3 years: with a curriculum at home, with an online class, then with a personal tutor. Now he is an above average writer (using a writing service for an evaluation).

I really think it depends on the child and the materials used. We've not had that issue. My ds tested at the local community college at 13 and tested in to pre-calculus. We decided to start him out at Algebra II/Trig as it was his first outside course. He aced the class. (Seriously - he averaged a 100%!!) His prof told me she was a little nervous about having a student so young, but was very pleasantly surprised!!!

I am a math person and have no problems teaching math. But, I also think it's important to recognize your weaknesses as a teacher. I cannot teach writing beyond the basics. So, we find tutors for that. I refuse to let me kids get behind!!!

There are kids ahead and behind in both settings, but the fact that a change was necessary means you're already not dealing with a random, representative sample. If I measured our local PS just by who leaves it to homeschool, I'd have an awfully skewed picture of how things go there!

There are kids ahead and behind in both settings, but the fact that a change was necessary means you're already not dealing with a random, representative sample. If I measured our local PS just by who leaves it to homeschool, I'd have an awfully skewed picture of how things go there!

Given the unbelievably high numbers of students in my state graduating high school only to need very remedial basic math in college, I'd tell her it's highly unlikely my kids could be anymore behind than the 40-60% of graduates from various local schools taking remedial math at college.

I think it's easy to label home schoolers bc they are often returned to the system when failing and bc the numbers are small enough to stand out. I'd bet money that if she looked at the numbers, there's a high percentage of transfer students from others areas that are "behind" as well.

I write behind that way bc frankly what she considers behind might not be in my opinion behind. For example, I don't consider pre algebra or algebra I or physical science in 9th grade to be behind, but many others might. I would respectfully disagree with them. Then there's the question of knowledge accrued. I know far too many students who on paper are ahead of my children, but in reality their knowledge of the subject is not anywhere near what the paper says.

I am a long way off from algebra (4 yo and 16 month olds) but I just talked to my neighbor, a math teacher at a local ps and she said lots of hs kids come in behind in math when transferring to ps. She said they'd used some well-regarded hs curriculum for math (don't know names). What they did to place them was to give them the final exam for say, Algebra I and if they passed it they'd be given credit for Algebra I and put in Algebra II, if not they'd have to repeat Algebra I. So here's my question, does anyone have any experience with this? And how do I, not liking math too much myself, teach advanced math? Any help?

First of all, this is way too early for you to be worrying about this.

Secondly, you don't actually know this is true. The teacher may believe it's true, but she may be basing her beliefs on a few kids. She may not even have heard about the ones who have done well from homeschooling backgrounds.

What could cause a conflict is a student who has used an integrated math approach (such as NEM or Saxon--any math program in which Algebra and Geometry are interwoven) going into a school following a traditional math sequence: Alg I, Geom, Alg. II, Trig, etc. Since some public schools also use an integrated math approach, this is a problem for more than just homeschoolers.

What I did was to put my kids into a traditional math sequence like our district uses, starting with Algebra I , in case public high school became the best choice for us.

I agree with Cheryl of SoCal. My sil, who worked in the public school, was totally against homeschooling. She once said to me, "Do you know how many kids coming back from homeschooling to public school are behind?!" She was very agitated and thought that she had a point. I simply replied, "Probably close to 100%. If they were doing well in homeschooling, they would not be going back to public school." She sings a different tune 10 years later after our children have grown up.

Not the case at all with my two dds. My older dd went to ps in 10th gr and did EXTREMELY well in ALL of her subjects. She made the Math, English and Foreign Language honor societies. My younger dd went to ps last year in 9th and got high 90's/100's in ALL of her classes. Oh, and she made 9th gr. female student of the year, too.

I am SO TIRED of hearing stuff like this!!

Sometimes, we hs'ers send our dc to ps for other reasons besides failure to teach adequately, etc.

My girls just plain needed to get out there, and they were obviously well-prepared for it.

First of all, this is way too early for you to be worrying about this.

Secondly, you don't actually know this is true. The teacher may believe it's true, but she may be basing her beliefs on a few kids. She may not even have heard about the ones who have done well from homeschooling backgrounds.

What could cause a conflict is a student who has used an integrated math approach (such as NEM or Saxon--any math program in which Algebra and Geometry are interwoven) going into a school following a traditional math sequence: Alg I, Geom, Alg. II, Trig, etc. Since some public schools also use an integrated math approach, this is a problem for more than just homeschoolers.

What I did was to put my kids into a traditional math sequence like our district uses, starting with Algebra I , in case public high school became the best choice for us.

THANK YOU!!

Not everyone gets the "same thing" in college. What classes they take will depend on their abilities. Teaching our children so that they truly understand math is what will help them the best in college.

This might be a s/o, but I think ps often intentionally sabotage returning homeschoolers.

Here in our county, the board of ed. won't allow dual enrollment in high school. Homeschool students who want to advance are told they must officially 'drop out' and get a GED in order to take most college courses. Now the big spin is the super high homeschool dropout rate around here. :rolleyes:

I agree with your hypothesis, however. If they were doing well homeschooling, then they probably wouldn't be returning.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Not the case at all with my two dds. My older dd went to ps in 10th gr and did EXTREMELY well in ALL of her subjects. She made the Math, English and Foreign Language honor societies. My younger dd went to ps last year in 9th and got high 90's/100's in ALL of her classes. Oh, and she made 9th gr. female student of the year, too.

I am SO TIRED of hearing stuff like this!!

Sometimes, we hs'ers send our dc to ps for other reasons besides failure to teach adequately, etc.

My girls just plain needed to get out there, and they were obviously well-prepared for it.

That's why I said "most," not all.

My husband teaches math in a large, urban public high school. He teaches all levels from remedial 9th graders to AP Calc and Stats students.

A big part of the reason we chose to homeschool is his experience with former homeschoolers. He has observed that many of the former homeschoolers are excellent students who know how to study and are socially mature.

Our own children certainly are not behind in math. It is a high priority in our homeschooling.

Your neighbor was generalizing. Homeschoolers do that a lot, too -- frequently about public school teachers. ;)

I've heard that too. I'd like to see how the ps kids would do on that test if they gave it to all of them each August. I'm guessing they'd bomb it.

My dd went back to ps for 7th grade last year, after 5 years of hs. They gave her a placement test and she aced it, so they recommended putting her in prealgebra. She had already finished Algebra 1 at home, so I asked them to put her in Geometry. They were reluctant, but were willing to try it since she had very high scores on NAEP and ITBS.

The kids in her class were those that did prealgebra in 6th, algebra 1 in 7th- so they were the highest achieving math students in the school. My dd was easily the most prepared. She was shocked at how much trouble they had with basic computation- especially fractions. She had no trouble getting an A.

Of course, I'm sure that there are many unprepared hs kids too.

I found the opposite. Both of my older children (6th & 7th) decided that they wanted to go to school last year. My daughter is back home, but both got almost straight A's. Daily, they would come home to tell me something else they were shocked by--the kids don't know where Egypt is on the map, they are teaching us geography in math class...

--Dawn

This might be a s/o, but I think ps often intentionally sabotage returning homeschoolers.

Yup -- sometimes they do.

When I was a ps teacher, I had the brightest, most well-educated, and most accomplished student I'd ever met -- She'd been homeschooled until the 7th grade, when her parents split up. Unhappily, those in charge of our ps (in general very anti-hsing) tried to make things difficult, refusing to admit her to the advanced classes that she was qualified for, and, I heard later, possibly even doing psychological testing in the guise of placement testing to see if they could find something wrong with her. She also wasn't about to get any of the honor awards that the faculty voted on, for the same reason. (She's now a happy and successful adult, so I guess there was nothing wrong with her!)

Other schools seem to do better, as I've also seen a formerly hsed dc go on to be the ps valedictorian, and others who've gone back in have been placed in advanced classes without a problem. On the math testing, my dc are both past algebra and neither is of high school age yet, but I wouldn't want them to be given a text-specific or course-specific test without a chance to see the book it was based on, first. Vocabulary is not standard among math curricula, and neither is the scope and sequence (what is taught when and how much is taught).

I've found that many public and private school teachers feel threatened by the homeschool movement, though I believe that the fear is lessening with time and experience.

NY state puts samples of the end of year assessments in various subjects.

Sometimes I look at those and see how math problems are worded and what kind of answers they are looking for. I was a bit surprised at the "explain how you got your answer" type questions. I could totally see my son writing something like, "um, because that's the way you do it."

http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/osa/math/home.html#ei

Read the Integrated Geometry 6 portion of this blog entry:

http://jd2718.wordpress.com/2010/06/22/worst-math-regents-questions-of-june-2010/

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I disagree totally with your claim. And to say that hs'ers are putting their dc back into school because they are "not good at it" is downright insulting.

You're more than welcome to disagree with me but please don't put words into my mouth. I never said that everyone who puts their children back in ps did it because they weren't good at it. I have seen many who weren't very dedicated homeschoolers return their children to public schools so a public school teacher isn't going to see an accurate representation of homeschooling. I believe the only place you are going to see a very accurate representation of public vs homeschooled students is going to be in college because that is where they are both going to end up. Still, it won't be entirely accurate as not all students (ps or hs) are going to go to college.

You're more than welcome to disagree with me but please don't put words into my mouth. I never said that everyone who puts their children back in ps did it because they weren't good at it. I have seen many who weren't very dedicated homeschoolers return their children to public schools so a public school teacher isn't going to see an accurate representation of homeschooling. I believe the only place you are going to see a very accurate representation of public vs homeschooled students is going to be in college because that is where they are both going to end up. Still, it won't be entirely accurate as not all students (ps or hs) are going to go to college.

Cheryl, to quote you exactly:

a lot of it has to do with the fact that most of the homeschoolers who are putting their children back into ps are usually putting them back onto ps because they aren't very good at it/aren't very dedicated/etc.

My argument with you is not with "everyone vs most". It is with your assertion that these are the main reasons with MOST hs'ers, and that is simply not the case. There are MANY fine hs'ers out there who choose to put their dc in ps for the upper grades and it has NOTHING to do with whether or not they are "good at it" or "aren't very dedicated".

Ria is a well-respected poster here from way back, and I am certain that she did not put her dc in ps because she was not good at it.

Again, I find your assumptions, yes, assumptions, about the reasons that hs'ers choose ps insulting and based on a very narrow POV.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Cheryl, to quote you exactly:

a lot of it has to do with the fact that most of the homeschoolers who are putting their children back into ps are usually putting them back onto ps because they aren't very good at it/aren't very dedicated/etc.

My argument with you is not with "everyone vs most". It is with your assertion that these are the main reasons with MOST hs'ers, and that is simply not the case. There are MANY fine hs'ers out there who choose to put their dc in ps for the upper grades and it has NOTHING to do with whether or not they are "good at it" or "aren't very dedicated".

Ria is a well-respected poster here from way back, and I am certain that she did not put her dc in ps because she was not good at it.

Again, I find your assumptions, yes, assumptions, about the reasons that hs'ers choose ps insulting and based on a very narrow POV.

Yes, and that was only ONE reason I gave. I'm sorry you are insulted but please keep in mind I never said that you or anyone else here fit that description. Those here are a very small subsection of the homeschooling community and I seriously doubt any here would fit into that category. My "assumptions" are based on public school teachers and homeschoolers that I know irl. Were all the homeschooled students they saw return to ps behind? No, but many of them were, giving them an inaccurate view of homeschooling. Many of the students they saw were not homeschooled well at all. Many also had only homeschooled for a couple of years; basically long enough to realize homeschooling wasn't for them.

I DO know several who put their children into ps for high school (most homeschooled until high school) and did a wonderful job homeschooling them. Obviously, I woudn't lump them into that category. However, from what I have seen they seem to be more in the minority than the majority when it comes to homeschoolers putting their children back into ps. Does that mean I think THEY did a bad job or put their children back into ps because they weren't dedicated/etc? Of course not! It simply means that I think they are in the minority, as I suspect those here would be as well.

Well I don't know hard data either.

IME I have never met a mom who said she loved and was great at home schooling, but was still putting her kids in ps.

I hear a LOT that they are doing it bc

They hate homeschooling

They don't feel they can do it or do it well

Their kids hate it

Their kids did better at ps

But really the number one reason I hear for putting kids in ps is because the parents either can't or won't make an effort to give them whatever kind of socialization they didn't feel the kid was lacked via homeschooling.

IME I have never met a mom who said she loved and was great at home schooling, but was still putting her kids in ps.

They hate homeschooling

Their kids hate it

But really the number one reason I hear for putting kids in ps is because the parents either can't or won't make an effort to give them whatever kind of socialization they didn't feel the kid was lacked via homeschooling.

I did not put my girls in ps for any of those reasons. And, I loved and was really good at homeschooling. Nice to meet you. ;)

Yes, and that was only ONE reason I gave. I'm sorry you are insulted but please keep in mind I never said that you or anyone else here fit that description. Those here are a very small subsection of the homeschooling community and I seriously doubt any here would fit into that category. My "assumptions" are based on public school teachers and homeschoolers that I know irl. Were all the homeschooled students they saw return to ps behind? No, but many of them were, giving them an inaccurate view of homeschooling. Many of the students they saw were not homeschooled well at all. Many also had only homeschooled for a couple of years; basically long enough to realize homeschooling wasn't for them.

I DO know several who put their children into ps for high school (most homeschooled until high school) and did a wonderful job homeschooling them. Obviously, I woudn't lump them into that category. However, from what I have seen they seem to be more in the minority than the majority when it comes to homeschoolers putting their children back into ps. Does that mean I think THEY did a bad job or put their children back into ps because they weren't dedicated/etc? Of course not! It simply means that I think they are in the minority, as I suspect those here would be as well.

Thanks for the further clarification. When I read things like your OP, it pushes my buttons, as I do not fall into that category, nor do several hs'ers I know. It would have helped to know that you were not referring to anyone here.

Homeschooling is just *one* of the educational choices out there. As parents, we may find ourselves taking advantage of different options as our children move through their educational journey.

I haven't read the thread but.....

1) I can see that there would be a large number of homeschoolers with that situation based on what *I* have seen of people homeschooling preteens and teens.

2) This could be seen as a problem but I don't think it necessarily is. I'm more concerned with the foundation being strong. But being laid back til high school then stepping it up seems fine to me in most ways.

3) I have been working in the local schools and as far as I can see, a LOT of their students in EVERY grade are WAY behind the level I would consider reasonable. Additionally, there is a major issue of not being able to translate one set of skills to another set of problems.

4) Would the PS students be able to pass these tests? Again, based on what *I* have been seeing, NO!

5) What is the cut-off score? When I returned to public school, the score to move on rather than repeat was 90! I barely missed that cut-off for Algebra then turned around and made almost perfect scores on my report card the whole year.

6) On the issue of repeating? I was MAD when I was 14 and dealing with this. And I pointed back at a year full of 98 to 100s as proof they had made a mistake. However, I honestly believe it was THE best thing for me. In fact, I *so* believe in repeating math that my own children have had more than one program in every math level. I'd rather have what they know solid and retrievable than for them to go further earlier (however, it didn't really slow my dd down as she had finished through Calc II and Stats the year she was 16).

Anyway, I think it's silly to suggest that this is a problem in the homeschooling community without enough information. I have known families who did almost no schooling at home who put their kids in public school. Sure they were behind when they started. They caught up just fine in time. But knowing that the proficiency exam is often something that PS kids can't pass and that the test-out score is often higher than passing? I just don't see it as necessarily an issue that HSers may be held back on them. And lastly, I don't see repeating as a problem; I see it as a blessing in disguise :)

Homeschooling is just *one* of the educational choices out there. As parents, we may find ourselves taking advantage of different options as our children move through their educational journey.

Imagine how we afterschoolers feel when reading the vitriol that is spewed daily on these message boards. The school environment can't touch the ugliness I see sometimes on these boards. :tongue_smilie:

(This is not directed at Cheryl, whom I like!)

In my community quite a few home school families send their children to the charter high school. The motivations of all the home school families I've talked to are to take advantage of what that particular school offers or because they feel that their teens need more outside interaction. I also know families whose children were struggling in ps and needed a better environment. We have few private high schools in this area so many applicants to the charter come from K-8 private schools. Some formerly home schooled students do struggle their first semester, but the same can be said of the entering freshmen who came from private and public schools. Every year I see the names of formerly home schooled students on the list of honors graduates. FWIW, this school is designed to offer a college prep curriculum, but enrollment is by lottery except in cases where an older sibling is currently enrolled so the school is enrolling students from various backgrounds.

That said, I would suggest that we keep in mind the fact that when we talk about the hs'ers we know or know of, we're only considering a minority of a minority. In the aggregate, there are probably enough hs'ers to make generalizations, but I'm not comfortable about doing so based on my personal experience. So I'm offering this as anecdotal information only :D, which by definition is limited and shouldn't be used to make generalizations. I was taught properly scholarly caution by my statistics profs a long time ago but sometimes I'm guilty of forgetting to apply what I've learned. Threads like this are a good reminder to me about the importance of thinking about the implications and especially the limitations of the opinions I throw out.

I don't think you need to worry about teaching advanced math at all. If you homeschool right the way through, you can teach them the simple stuff like algebra, geometry and trig yourself, then use community college or a distance learning program for the higher level stuff like calculus. If you don't homeschool all the way through, they'll probably be in school by the time they get to calculus anyway (since, if you're not comfortable with it yourself, you're unlikely cover it with them ahead of schedule).

Advanced math isn't likely to come up before college (unless there's someone very math-oriented in your family). If you do happen to find yourself with a kid who runs way ahead of the normal math curriculum, you can either go the CC or distance learning route, just like you might for calculus, or turn him loose with a copy of Kreyszig and see what he makes of it.

As for transferring into PS, you have the advantage of knowing ahead of time about the placement exam. Assuming it's taken at the start of the school year, that gives you the whole summer to help them revise whichever level of math they just completed, so that they're not taking the test "cold".

As others have mentioned, an integrated math program at home might make it harder to transition to school-based math, so if you think a transfer to PS is likely, choose your math program accordingly - there are plenty of non-integrated programs available, so you should be able to find one that works for you and still allows for a smooth transition to school.

It's still a /very/ long way off for you though, so the entire math education system may have changed by then (possibly to an integrated curriculum), as could the PS approach to math placement. Try not to worry about it all too much, but do keep an eye on what's going on in schools so you can adapt your plans if necessary.

Alex

At this point in time, we are seriously leaning towards putting dd12 into public high school when her peers start. I love homeschooling though I do get annoyed and frustrated occasionally. And IMHO, I've been really, really good at homeschooling. However, Dd12 wants to go to a public high school. I would prefer she stay home and have insisted she will definitely not go to public middle school. But her high school years should be hers to own and plan. So while I won't be ecstatic should she make that decision, I will be supportive.

I've certainly seen other homeschoolers with the same attitude. Sometimes the season just ends and it's time to move on, even if reluctantly.

They hate homeschooling

Their kids hate it

Me! me! that's me! I love homeschooling, I love being able to cater to their individual needs and interests, I have confidence in my ability to educate my kids, my kids love being homeschooled, we are involved in many *socialization* endevours AND I am still allowing my eldest to attend PS high school next fall. Each family is different that way, eh?

At this point in time, we are seriously leaning towards putting dd12 into public high school when her peers start. I love homeschooling though I do get annoyed and frustrated occasionally. And IMHO, I've been really, really good at homeschooling. However, Dd12 wants to go to a public high school. I would prefer she stay home and have insisted she will definitely not go to public middle school. But her high school years should be hers to own and plan. So while I won't be ecstatic should she make that decision, I will be supportive.

I've certainly seen other homeschoolers with the same attitude. Sometimes the season just ends and it's time to move on, even if reluctantly.

I am tutoring a girl who is public school (a good one) for Algebra I. She has definitely not had all the material my kids did in Algebra 1!

As far as college goes, my kids have taken classes at the community college in math when they were high school seniors and they did great! No problem not knowing the prerequisite material.

A family member hs'ed her kids, most of them all the way through high school. One son wanted to go to ps for high school for a variety of reasons. She is in NY and they had him take the 9th grade Math Regents at the end of 8th grade. He did very well and was placed in 10th grade Math when he entered in 9th grade. They did Saxon as their Math program. It really just depends on the individual student. I am sure there are other students who do Saxon and it just is not their thing.

I would not worry about the what ifs. If the time comes that you feel the need to put the kids in ps then you deal with where ever they are in math at that time.

The school (private) that the boys will be attending in August has got ahead of standard grade levels in middle school maths. Calvin passed the entrance exam a few months ago but it turns out that the class is now fourteen chapters into the text book that is normally used in the first year of 'high school'.

Luckily, the school recognises that this as an issue, so sent a copy of the book home to Calvin, recommending that he 'catch up' before starting school next month. It was sent to all students transferring into the school at that level, not just to us because we home educate. It is not a very fun way to spend the summer, but Calvin will be well prepared.

Laura

I put two children in ps after homeschooling, and I do not think I was doing a bad job. But I still had one English teacher tell us, "I'm surprised your daughter does so well. Most homeschool children do poorly when they enter ps." I was kind of wondering which hs children she was referring to, as all the kids that I knew had gone into ps had scored very well in their placements tests. I believe she told us that she had heard this from other teachers; she had not personally experienced it. My kids were tested when they entered high school, and they scored at college level in their reading, and did just fine also in their math placement. One of my girls went into 7th grade, and was put to work helping other kids in their math, as she was way ahead. So I do not know where these teachers get this about hs kids being behind; I know some are, but many are ahead. It was a little annoying, because I think someone is spreading rumors.

I put my oldest in public school last year for 9th. Yes he's behind in math but not because of my teaching (he has dyscalculia and has had lots and lots of tutoring). Otherwise he got all A's and told me it was easier than being home. We chose to send for many reasons that fit this particular child.

Next ds we'll look at his needs, strengths and weaknesses and decide for him in two years. He is not behind in math.

I've hear fairly often that homeschooled children are behind when they enter public schools. When someone tells me that now, I ask how many students are involved. So far, not one person has said more than one or two kids. In a couple of instances, the people didn't know but were passing on information, otherwise know as unsubstantiated rumors.

Since I don't so by ps standards, I'm sure my girls are behind in some areas and ahead in others.

I think if they gave ps students the same exam after summer vacation, a good number would do poorly as well. We live in a 'memorize, dump, and move on' learning environment. It's just not conducive to testing well on old material months and years later.

I have two children starting Algebra I this year but my oldest will be doing Saxon Algebra 1/2 and he's 11th grade. He has multiple learning disabilities and struggled to get through pre-algebra last year. If we get him successfully through Algebra I next year, he'll be far better off than he would've been in public school. He couldn't do basic math when I withdrew him in 5th grade. The reason? They pulled him out for his resource class during math. :confused: