Menu

What are your plans for kindergarten?

Ok for kindergarten I am going to do the following:

Bible-- I have a childrens bible that you read through in a year, we are going to read that in the mornings.

Math-- We are doing MUS primer and horizons K. We include LOTS of manipulatives with both curricula.

English-- Phonics Pathways, Word Works, Reading Pathways and starfall.com

Science-- We have CLP k science book that we will do but we will also do interest based books for science from the library.

History-- We are going to be reading If you lived series, and we are planning on getting library books to go along with it (he LOVES to be read to)

Latin-- we are doing song school latin, slowly until he is ready to move on

Handwriting-- A reason for handwriting K and itchys alphabet black line masters.

We are also going to be working through What your Kindergartner needs to know. That will fill in any blanks I have.

Kindy in our house looks like the following.

Phonics: Phonics Pathways, supplemented with BOB books, Now I'm Reading! books, Leapfrog videos, Starfall, and frequent trips to the library

Writing: tablet of K writing paper, cheap writing workbook

Math: toes, blocks, trains, dolls, or whatever object was their favorite to count

History: random library books they were interested in, and whatever they happened to absorb from being around big siblings

Science: random library books they were interested in, lots of exploring the world around them

Extra: The girls start Girl Scouts as a Daisy, and the boys complain about not being old enough for Cub Scouts.

eta: This is not the list my current rising K'er will have, since she did all that (sans Daisy Scouts) at 3yo. :tongue_smilie: She will be doing mostly second grade stuff this year, with first grade math.

Edited by SilverMoon

Religion- "saint of the day" and Catholic Mosaic

Math- Right Start Level A, Family Math for Young Children, and games

Reading- Hooked on Phonics, may add All About Reading when it becomes available

Handwriting- Handwriting Without Tears

Science- will tag-along with big sister's study of physics. I may get Noeo Physics I to help with this

History- will tag-along with big sister's study of American History. I may get BF Early American History primary to help with this.

At some point, I'll add in First Language Lessons 1 and All About Spelling Level 1. Not sure exactly when he'll be ready for those.

Lots of K threads today. We are officially K with our state...

Bible - We'll have our own devotions daily (I love our Kenneth Taylor devotionals)

Math - Saxon 2 will be our main program, supplemented with Evan-Moor Daily Word Problems, Miquon, Singapore, RightStart Math games and anything else that strikes our fancy!

English - Spell to Write and Read, FLL, WWE, Abeka readers

Literature - Sonlight 4/5 and K

Science - Our own concoction, similar to what is suggested in WTM for 1st - life science, animals, lots of living books, etc. etc. etc. We also have Mudpies to Magnets and Janice VanCleave's Plants.

Geography - Galloping the Globe

History - Abeka 1st grade/Truthquest American History for Young Students, as desired

We'll be in Awanas, piano lessons and we will probably do an afternoon literature co-op deal; I'm praying about a morning one that I've been asked to teach, as well.

Religion-- Listening to us read aloud from a children's Bible, reading about the saints, learning prayers and catechism, lots of great books

Math-- Playing with numbers in real life

Reading-- Hooked on Phonics and Bob books

Science-- RS4K Biology only b/c he loves the book and his siblings will be doing it too PLUS library books and videos

History-- lots of books and whatever he picks up from his sibs' studies

Art -- tagging along with sibs in Meet the Masters

He has also started Suzuki cello, so we'll continue with that. Maybe basketball or swimming if I can swing adding more to my crazy schedule.

We keep it very simple at our house. Here's what has worked for us:

Phonics/reading: CLE Learn to Read

Math: Singapore Early Bird

Penmanship: MP Copybook 1

The rest is all read alouds based on interest, tagging along with the others, and lots of art, puzzles, and games.

Bible: The Child's Story Bible and Catechism for Young Children

Reading: Continue OPGTR and BOB books

Math: Continue Saxon K and move on to Saxon 1

Handwriting: Daily copywork and cheap workbook

History: Lots of library books - lots of topics - basic exposure

Geography: US Geography

Science: Mudpies to Magnets, different science kits, and library books

Music: Kindermusik - Young Child 3 & 4

Logic: Mind Benders K and Math Analogies

We'll see how much of this happens after Baby Boy arrives in December!:001_smile:

Bible Study - He'll listen in to what we are doing.

History (TOG Y1) - He'll listen along and do some activities with us.

Science (CKE Earth/Space) - He'll listen along and do some activities.

Handwriting - HWT

Math - R&S Grade 1

Phonics - Reading books with me, playing games, etc.

And lots and lots of play!!!!!

kindy is not until next year however my current plans are:

Phonics - HOP master reader

Writing - write source K

Handwriting - HWOT

Math - combo of MUS alpha and SM 1A

Science - Sonlight science K

LA - FLL 1&2

also doing core K with readers 2 regular

then lots of arts and crafts and reading as well as trips to the museums.

Generally our K year is

Phonics: Teach Your Child To Read 100 Easy Lessons, Bob books, Starfall.com

Writing: Donnayoungs writing sheets to mach 100 easy lessons, copy work

Math: MUS Primer, math games, FIAR math

Science: FIAR and tag a long with older kids

Art: FIAR, play

History/Geography: FIAR, GTG and lesson in on SOTW

LA: FLL 1/2 and FIAR

We just have lots of fun and will bunny trail anytime they have an interest.

Reading - a lot of good picture books + family read-alouds + history-related picture books

Language Arts - OPGTR, FLL, WWE, HWT, and eventually SWO

Math - Right Start A/B + Miquon

History - SOTW 1

Science - mostly informal, we have some MSB kits & some Thames & Kosmos kits, plus some Let's Read and Find Out books

Art - some ideas pulled from How to Teach Art to Children and Preschool Art

Music - I have a CD set that I can't remember the name of, plus the Classics for Kids podcast

The last three are much more informal than they look, and ds doesn't think of the first one as school. :)

We will be using HOD's LHFHG. I'm really hoping for a light and fun year, but every time I see everything written out it looks like a lot!

Bible - LHFHG (Family Time Bible, memory verses, devotional)

History & Science - LHFHG

Math - Saxon 1 & Singapore EB B (will begin 1A for 2nd semester)

Handwriting - Handwriting for a Reason

Phonics - last third of OPGTR, finish ETC 3 and continue through the next ETC books

Literature - LHFHG list along with many read alouds that we own

As of now, we're not planning on any narrations or other written activity for subjects other than Handwriting & ETC. If Science and/or History is not enjoyable, we will drop them completely and just work on the 3 R's along with some crafts. I'm going to work to keep some record of books that he reads independently and maybe have an activity or two to do with some of our favorite read alouds. I want to be done with everything by lunchtime so that we're free to play at the park and go on outings in the afternoon :)!

Here is out plan for K5 this year:

Bible: Awana

Language Arts: Discovering Intensive Phonics

Handwriting: Handwriting without Tears & Zaner-Bloser

Math: Bob Jones

History: Story of the World

Science: Apologia Astronomy

Latin: Song School Latin

Classical Conversations

We just started K today, and so far so good.:001_smile: We are doing:

Math - Singapore Earlybird B

Phonics - Explode the Code

Reading - OPGTTR

Science - Sonlight Science K

Read Alouds - a mixture of Sonlight P3/4 & P4/5

We are doing a theme each week that includes art, read alouds and music that I am just coming up with myself. And we are lightly learning about a different country each week, Galloping the Globe style.

K4-

LA-OPTGR, HOP, and BOB books

Math-counting whatever we can find

history/GEO-tagging along on SOTW 1 and state study

Bible-reading through a childrens bible

learning manners, listening skills, and chores

Science-nature study and helping with live animal births..puppies, deer, turkeys, chickens and kittens :-)

We are doing another year of K6 as ds was a young K'er this year and is not ready to move on to 1st grade.

Bible: Awana

Phonics: OPGTR & Memoria Press Phonics, I See Sam readers

Handwriting: HWOT 1 & Memoria Press Phonics

Math: Last third of RS A then RS B

History: SOTW 1

Science: Elemental Science Intro to Science

Art: Artistic Pursuits Book 1 (every other week)

Here's the lineup for "Jr. K". He misses the cutoff for ps but a little bit, so his official K year will be next year (and will most likely be in an enrichment program next year where this matters, so I didn't want to call it K even though it is...is your head spinning yet? Mine is.).

Spelling: Plaid Phonics A

Phonics: Phonics Pathways, move into Sonlight 1 Readers

Writing: A Reason for Handwriting K

Math: Saxon 1

History: Sonlight 6 w/Story of the World 1 & 2 Activity Guides

Geography: Sonlight 6

Science: Be Amazing Blast of Color

Logic: Building Thinking Skills

Guest Cindie2dds
After many purchases, sales, purchases and returns...

Sonlight p4/5 with Hands on the Arts

McRuffy Math K

McRuffy Phonics K

preschool co-op with our homeschool group, zoo classes, All star cheer and playtime. :)

You will love Sonlight P4/5! We still read many of the books. I would ditch the schedule, though. ;)

We are doing official K this year.

Phonics Road phonograms from level 1 with lots of hands on and tactile activities and stories.

Pre-math it, pattern blocks and tangramable puzzles and maybe MUS Primer.

I'm reviewing Cursive -K from Peterson Directed Handwriting for TOS so we'll use that too.

Tag along with ancient history, science and extras with his older siblings. Lots and lots of p.e on the swingset, trampoline and the obstacle course I am trying to get built.

DD is 4.5 but excited to get started, so this is Pre-K for her.

Math: RightStart A, MEP Reception

Language Arts: OPGTR + various readers, HWT K, poetry memorization

Science: BFSU, nature study

History/Geography: light intro to world cultures & American history through read alouds

Spanish: Salsa, music, picture books, and other random resources from the library

Lots of informal art and music, and LOTS and LOTS of read alouds!

we started earlier this summer and so far it has looked like this:

most days opg

singapore earlybird counting in everyday things

reading to them various things (not too organized yet)

i also try to include daily

going outside

at least an hour of dedicated physical activity

healthy meals and snacks

activities that help with fine motor and sensory stuff (ie play)

a rest time in the afternoon

working on hygiene, manners, picking up, listening and obeying

i need to get going on

bible: read through "big picture story bible"

memorization: start with the children's catechism

music: ready to use music reading activity kit

writing: HWOT or something basic...just a little each day

i'd like to incorporate at least somewhat

science: "I love dirt" and library books of interest

history/geography: a big map & "Kid's Multicultural cookbook"

"Children Just Like Me" and maybe "Train

of States" (i think i just like this book)

as well as more library books

We'll finish up our K4 year in December, which is:

Bible: 101 Stories from the Bible, My ABC Bible Verses

Reading: OPG, Starfall.com

Handwriting: HWOT

Math: MEP Reception Year

Some of everything: FIAR

For K5 in January, we'll use LHFHG (history, science, literature), and continue with FIAR as much as I can (at least reading the books and doing some conversational discussions of topics). I also plan to use Elemental Science Intro. to Science.

Our state cut-off for kindergarten is a month before my daughter turns five, so this is my "freebie" year for her. We will do K this year, but I won't be counting it as official. Our focus will be penmanship, math, reading fluently, and life skills.

PENMANSHIP: continued daily practice of manuscript letters, words, and numbers.

MATH: she's midway through MUS/Primer. We'll move to MUS/Alpha in the Spring.

READING: she's decoding most words, but isn't yet independent. Lots more read-alouds; no formal program.

LIFE SKILLS: increased home chores and pet care; more meal prep and clean-up responsibilities; tying shoes

TAG ALONG w/ OLDER SIB:

social studies - we're partway through our 50 states study, and she's been learning the locations, capitals and postal codes alongside her big brother. 2011 will be spent learning our US Presidents.

Catholic faith - daily readings from Children's Bible; Saints studies; common prayers.

history - Early Modern Era; planned some readalouds/activities at her level and interest.

science and art - she will try to do whatever her brother does. No formal science program, they just do random experiments and reading. This year we're trying Artistic Pursuits for formal art, plus we go frequently to local museums.

EXTRAS:

Weekly storytime at local library

Little Flowers club

soccer

... and she asked me to look into gymnastics

My baby starts Kindergarten this year. We plan on doing:

Phonics/Reading: OPGTR and McRuffy Phonics K

Math: McRuffy Math K

Handwriting: HWOT K

Extra: Five In a Row

Also, tagging along for:

Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book 2

Elemental Science Biology

American History

And we'll go through What Your K'er Needs to Know.

Well, it's early yet and I went ahead and chopped off most of what we were doing. Now we're down to:

Reading, Explode the Code Get Ready

Math, Singapore Kindergarten A

Science, Mudpies to Magnets

Art, Drawing with Children

Writing, there's a lot of that with Explode the Code and Singapore ;)

I check out some American history books and lots of fairy tales when we're at the library, but we aren't doing anything formal with them. I also occassionally use some Nursery Rhyme crafts. Of course, this is all done very informally. Oh, and Luke logs time with either PBS Kids, Noggin, or Zoodles on those days when coloring isn't cutting it (and Andrew needs more attention for his school work).

There's probably more learning going on with regular life (my son can use our bug book now to identify the bugs he finds) than anything we do with a workbook, but he loves it :)

ETA, Luke also writes "letters" to relatives. Andrew has been writing and mailing letters for the past year or so (two a week) and once Luke learned how to write "L" he decided he was ready to write letters too. Lol, so he mails out a piece of paper with whatever letters he has learned.

K for us (a young 4)

Bible: bible beginnings explorer's bible study

Reading: OPGTTR

Math: Horizons K

Handwriting: StartWrite software

Every thing else will be following along with her sister

We're in the same boat. I started K (or Pre-K, I guess :p) with Luke in May, but he turns 4 at the end of August.

We just started K today, and so far so good.:001_smile: We are doing:

Math - Singapore Earlybird B

Phonics - Explode the Code

Reading - OPGTTR

Read Alouds - a mixture of Sonlight P3/4 & P4/5

We are doing a theme each week that includes art, read alouds and music that I am just coming up with myself. And we are lightly learning about a different country each week, Galloping the Globe style.

:hurray: Your schedule sounds great and it's WONDERFUL that things are working out well for you so far :D

Oh yeah, I forgot we will also be supplementing our phonics with Bob Books and some other readers. So far all I have are the bob books-- any suggestions?

Usborne Cat and Mouse books (Cat and Mouse and the Dinosaurs, Cat and Mouse and the Farm...). Luke loves those, and while they do use sight word recognition, he loves reading "big" words.

Edited by lionfamily1999

Wow, just reading what some of you are doing makes me tired!;) My baby is 5 finally and so excited to officially start school. Of course, with an 8th, 6th, and 3rd also, K won't be too elaborate:

Phonics/Reading: Phonics Pathways, Reading Pathways, and eventually maybe some ETC because I have it laying around and TONS of library books!

Math: everyday life, I may throw some MUS Primer or Alpha in there.

Handwriting: cheap workbooks from Wal-Mart and a white board:D

Bible/History/Science/PE/Music: tagging along with everyone else because that's what she's been doing for 3 years now. She can give you a better summary of the last few days of Julius Caesar's life than the other 3!

Funny story about this dd: I overheard her telling a lady at church the other day that if she were going to "real school" she'd do coloring and snacks but since she'll be home for kindergarten she's just going to "learn to read and do a little math.":tongue_smilie: Obviously, she's heard me tell a couple of my hsing friends that with 4 to school this year I'm only focusing on her "learning to read and maybe doing a little math." Heehee, as if we don't ever color or have snacks at our house!:lol:

Guest Cindie2dds
We'll be doing Oak Meadow K in the fall. I won't be supplementing with anything else, other than outings and field trips and extra reading aloud for fun.

That's the best way for K! My youngest is way too little for Oak Meadow K. She won't be ready for probably two years for her letters. Fun! We loved Oak Meadow last year. :)

My youngest is starting K - any day now.

Phonics Pathways and copywork selections from Trumpet of the Swan, moving into WWE, FLL, SWO once she's reading fluently.

Finish BJU math K then 1, plus Miquon and some favorite games from RS

Little Labs science kits and lots of science picture books

Fairy Tales - lots of fairy tales

a geography unit based on Around the World in 80 Tales

Baldwin's 50 Famous Stories

the recorder & some opera listening appreciation

an artist per quarter starting with Georgia O'Keffee including art projects

a poet per quarter

she's also going to an enrichment school once a week. We do phonics, math and reading daily and rotate the other things.

working on hygiene, manners, picking up, listening and obeying

music: ready to use music reading activity kit

Item #1: Do you have a curriculum for the hygiene, manners, etc. or are you just coming up with that yourself.....any good website links?

Item #2: I've never heard of this...what is it?

Wow, just reading what some of you are doing makes me tired!;)

Me too! :lol:

We're just keeping it simple here and adding in more as we can.

Our plan is a 4 day school week doing the following everyday for 15-20 minutes each:

OPGTR

Rightstart Math Level A

Getty Dubay Italics Book A

Read Alouds from Ambleside Year 0 and Sonlight K

When we finish the above books (which we will by the end of the school year), we'll just progress to FLL and Level B for math and writing.

We're also going to do art, music, cooking, Bible, and some fun geography/world culture unit studies, but all worked into our daily life as part of our regular routine and not called "school". My main goals are that by June 2011 I'd like her to be able to read fairly fluently, write her letters both upper and lower case clearly, understand the math concepts that I've taught, and have a love for learning. If I've accomplished those, I'll be happy.

Ok for kindergarten I am going to do the following:

Bible-- I have a childrens bible that you read through in a year, we are going to read that in the mornings.

Math-- We are doing MUS primer and horizons K. We include LOTS of manipulatives with both curricula.

English-- Phonics Pathways, Word Works, Reading Pathways and starfall.com

Science-- We have CLP k science book that we will do but we will also do interest based books for science from the library.

History-- We are going to be reading If you lived series, and we are planning on getting library books to go along with it (he LOVES to be read to)

Latin-- we are doing song school latin, slowly until he is ready to move on

Handwriting-- A reason for handwriting K and itchys alphabet black line masters.

We are also going to be working through What your Kindergartner needs to know. That will fill in any blanks I have.

Bible--MFW/AWANA

Math--McRuffy Math

Phonics--McRuffy Phonics

Science--McRuffy Science (if I can fit it in, if not that's okay, I paln to read some books from Simply Charlotte Mason and other books that would be considered scienc)

Handwriting--Included in McRuffy

History--Tag along with older siblings

Lance is my last kinder child, so I'm going to have lots of fun (colorful curriculum and all).

Item #1: Do you have a curriculum for the hygiene, manners, etc. or are you just coming up with that yourself.....any good website links?

Item #2: I've never heard of this...what is it?

item #1: i don't have a curriculum, they are just things to work on. i'm trying to help them build healthy habits. we are working on brushing our teeth well right now for example.

item #2: someone mentioned this book on another thread. I wanted to incorporate music and needed some sort of guide. It is designed for grades 1-8, so we will just be touching on some basics this year. I'm hoping to give them a good sense of rhythm and pitch (dh is more the musically inclined, so he'll have to help with this) i have only just started using it, so I can't give you too much of a review, except that we have enjoyed it so far.

Here is a link

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Use-Music-Reading-Activities/dp/0893281565/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279659350&sr=8-2

mine didn't come with a cd, so that is new.

We are also doing K right now with:

Math - Singapore Math 1, MEP 1, CWP 1

Bible- Rod & Staff Bible Stories and Coloring

Reading/Phonics - Scholastic Brain Bank Readers

I have Kumon workbooks for hand writing and Horizons Phonics K for the fall. We will also begin listening to a "composer of the month" starting with German composers.

My plans are finally coming together as well. I have a daughter turning 5 in October, and I suppose this is her junior kindergarten year. I'll evaluate where we are next spring/summer to see if she is ready to move on to 1st grade.

I've had a surprisingly difficult time figuring out what I wanted to use this year. The quantity and variety of curricula choices out there is truly overwhelming, even to a veteran homeschooler! But here is what I am settling into:

Phonics: review of Jolly Phonics, McRuffy Phonics K, Bob Books, and Flyleaf Publishing readers

Math: Right Start Math A; miscellaneous Living Math books

Handwriting: Handwriting Without Tears K

Science: McRuffy Science (just 2x/week)

Bible: Reading though a story Bible, either The Adventure Bible Storybook or The Jesus Storybook Bible

Everything else (Memory work, Read alouds, music and art appreciation, misc. enrichment): Memoria Press Kindergarten

It feels good to get it down in writing. :D

Phonics: OPGTR, ETC

Reading: Sonlight 1 readers (she started OPGTR last year)

Writing: HWT and copywork

Math: Saxon 1

Grammar: FLL 1

Science: nothing formal, butterfly and praying mantis kits, gardening, will likely join in on the big kids' chemistry experiments

Art: classes through the city

Music: ? kids' choir at church

P.E.: soccer, swimming, skiing

Tagging along for:

Bible: VP Genesis through Joshua (though I also have an age appropriate devotional)

History: MOH 1, read-alouds on her level from Biblioplan, coloring and projects

That's all I can think of!

This is still very much in the planning phase but I think it would help if I write it out... Would love critiques! :)

Either Sonlight p4/5 or K... leaning towards K

Bible- Sonlight

Math- Montessori or maybe RightStart... I want something very hands on as I used to teach Montessori (but upper elementary), Living Math Books & Real life examples

Phonics/Reading- Sonlight K, Bob Books, Starfall.com, Now I'm Reading Books, ETC

Handwriting- HWOT or just handwriting to do with lessons

Science- Sonlight K most likely supplemented by whatever we want to learn about and other fun experiments

Art- I'd like to try Artistic Pursuits but Draw Write Now looks fun too

Music- Not sure but I'd like to add some in

Lots of playing inside and out

Edited by jwoodbri

The plan is HOD, Webster's Speller, Singapore supplemented with fun hands on games and activities from RS and C. Rods, AWANAS, Spanish, ZB cursive.

But, first year teaching 2, we'll see how that works, a bit of Bible, Webster's Speller, and math every day is a minimum, with cursive a few times a week.