Menu

Did you finish?

Did you finish?  

1. 1. Did you finish?

• Yes, we finished all curriculum on time
    • Yes, we finished all curriculum, but behind schedule
    • No, we didn't finish all curriculum

This is the first year I didn't finish all of our curriculum. It really annoyed me until I gave myself the get-over-it talk.

We switched to WWE in January so it is only natural that we didn't finish it.

We also didn't finish R&S English 5 with my daughter. We took time off from it to play around with Write with the Best, so again, that isn't a big deal.

I am trying to find a balance. I want ds to work at his own pace, but I also don't want to feel he's "behind". We will push through the 17 math lessons he has left, but I'm wondering if I should abandon SOTW1 (we're on Chapter 29) so we can start SOTW2, which coincides with our CC cycle this year. We also didn't finish Sonlight Science 2 (about helfway done.) That was just a little boring. We have Elemental Science for the new school year.

We were in a VA this year and we did finish all the curric, however I feel that because we rushed and then tested, the retention was less and we are having to do review. When I considered putting them in another (really great looking) VA had to remind myself WHY I decided to go on my own (with curric)

Here goes: It is more important to me HOW my children learn to learn and less important what they learn. I have to remind myself this constantly (esp. when picking science lessons right now).

It more important that they love to learn, that they learn in a organized manner (thus the latin and history from the beginning), that they retain what they learn, that they use all parts of their brain (right and left), that they learn to work independently (this is BIG one for us) that they learn to be disciplined (you know, work when you work -and play when you play)

--I'm sure there is more I have forgotten,but the jist of this post is to alleviate some of the guilt associated with not finishing.--Sorry to hi-jack

Lara

We finished what I wanted to finish. Does that count? We got through all of SOTW, spelling, and penmanship. We got our solar system model built. And we finished off 9 of 10 CLE light units for Math and LA's (and let me tell you, getting through that many of the LA's LU's was PAINFUL!).

...plan & schedule carefully. We have school 4 days per week (Monday-Thursday), leaving Fridays open in case we need to catch up on anything.

Ha! This is us and exactly why it drove me nuts not to finish.

I'm okay. Really. It is just fine. :lol:

AGhghghghgh.

Dd was 1st grade last year and we finished all the 1st grade level curriculum. She is ahead in some areas and so those were not finished (like her 3rd grade reader) and we will be finishing them this year. I don't mind carrying over where she is ahead, but I can't stand the thought of not finishing the grade level work.

Nope, I sprained and broken my ankle a week and a half before we we supposed to be done. And then we just stopped because I was done.

We had a few chapters of Child's History of the World left and some other less important stuff. I am not going to worry about it.

You forgot the "other" option on your poll. :001_smile:

We start school in early August and have school every day that we don't have something more important to do. We finish the last week of April. I don't know how many days that works out to, I'm sure it varies year to year depending on what else is happening in our life. Since we don't have a specific number of days as a goal, I just create lesson plans based on what is a reasonable amount of work for the subject for a day. Then I just assign stuff out. When we hit the end of April, we stop, mid-book or not. We start wherever we left off. New books are added whenever the old one is finished. Since my kids are all a bit ascynchronous to begin with, it's not uncommon for them to be working on 3-4 grades levels across the different subjects. It's nice not feeling pressure to get everything done by a certain time.