Menu

Is frequent texting acceptable while at work?

We have a family business/ Some of the young employees have gotten into the habit of texting quite frequently while at work. It most assuredly deceases their productivity, which is not great to begin with. I plan to speak with them, but wanted to make sure I am not out of line. Even if it acceptable as part of the youth culture, it is not acceptable to us as employers while at work. We are friends with the families of everyone who works for us so it is a but touchy, but I think the young girls are taking advantage of that to work far less than their hardest. Any ideas of how to handle these conversations?

Getting people to "cut down" has not worked where I work, so they are outright banned. Only on break or lunch. Many break the rules, however, and if caught AND you are a known screw-up, your boss could well use it against you.

Edited by kalanamak

Nope, only on breaks and at lunch. I don't know if it is a state thing or a federal thing, but here employees who work 8 hours get two 15 min. breaks and an hour for lunch, and those are the appropriate times to text friends. If it is an emergency that is one thing, but just for fun, no way.

As for how to approach it just state it as part of the rules of working there, it is business. You are my employee, and during working hours your tasks are X,Y,Z, and there will be no texting until breaks and lunch. You are teaching them how the working world works, and I hope that the parents of those girls appreciate that. I am not good at confrontation, so that sounds easier than it is, but my dad owns a business and he has gotten quite good at laying down the law. :001_smile:

Casual use of a cell phone at work is a big no-no at my husband's job (school teacher). In an emergency situation, sure, but just chit-chatting or text messaging, absolutely not.

It would seem comparable to personal phone calls and those have usually to be kept to a minimum. Just another form of communication, albeit a silent one.

Only if it is work related- DH is in a big building and his coworkers text each other during the day to save time.

(they can send mass texts, the guys are always at a desk with email available, etc.).

But if it's not part of the job or increasing productivity then I'd have to say NO TEXTING.

NO texting during work out unless it directly relates to work. One place in our area has a sign up in the employee area that if they see you with a cell phone THEY get the cell phone for the day and then more consequences from there.

Thanks for the input. None of it is work related. Should we just say no cell phones period and when that rule is broken then say they have to be left in the employee's purse, and are not allowed on the work floor?

I would do that. I assume that you have a regular business phone that parents, etc. could use to call you in an EMERGENCY to get ahold of the employee.

I really see no need for employees to be texting/talking during work hours.

To me, it is simple. When one is working, one has sold their time for a wage, and that time should be spent only doing one's employer's business as efficiently and effectively as possible, except during lunch and scheduled breaks.

Edited by RoughCollie

No, they should not be texting while on the clock. When I was working in my teens and early twenties, we would never have been able to use a phone while clocked in unless it were an emegency.

Tell them no phone conversations or texting without permission, and it they get caught, they are fired.

We have a family business/ Some of the young employees have gotten into the habit of texting quite frequently while at work. It most assuredly deceases their productivity, which is not great to begin with. I plan to speak with them, but wanted to make sure I am not out of line. Even if it acceptable as part of the youth culture, it is not acceptable to us as employers while at work. We are friends with the families of everyone who works for us so it is a but touchy, but I think the young girls are taking advantage of that to work far less than their hardest. Any ideas of how to handle these conversations?

I haven't read the other responses, so I hope I don't step on anyones toes. Texting for anything unrelated to your job is stealing time from your employer. I call my Dh at work if I need to ask him something because that is okay with his company, but not between 1 and 3 unless it is really important. Dh is salaried and has no trouble getting all his work done. If he was paid by the hour, I'd never call unless it was an emergency.

This, unfortunately, has become a rampant problem in our society. We own a small business and I can completely relate. My husband and I were just discussing this very issue tonight, and as manager, it will be one of my duties tomorrow to break it to my employees that the phones need to be on vibrate and quit the texting unless you are texting boss for something or you will be fired.

My blood pressure rises every time we have a client in the office and I hear somebody's phone go off. To me emergencies are acceptable, but the amount of time that is wasted on private phone calls/texting/bbming has completely gotten out of control.

And before I leave my soapbox I have to add, I cannot stand it when you are checking out in a line and the cashier is texting either before waiting on you, right after waiting on you and you haven't left yet, or the king of all no-nos, texting while ringing you up. Customer service in this country has really become a lost art over the years.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled internet browsing and thank you for allowing my the chance to rant. Only a flame about 3 feet high could burn my behind more than this topic :001_smile:

Dh is a pretty easy going boss, and he allowed it up to a point when we had an office - family matters and such. Anything over 20 minutes worth altogether for the day he would start having a problem with. He had a real problem with IMing a few years back. He ended up banning it, but if his employees had kept it to a minimum he would have allowed it. It used to be funny (and annoying) walking through the office - you could see AIM screens minimizing as we made our way through the room. And they really thought we didn't know.:confused: If he wanted to, he could have read every single word they typed on the computer. Now he only has independent contractors working from home, so they could be texting all day. If he notices a drop in productivity, he may give a few warnings, and then they are gone.

You are paying for the lack of productiveness. They need to be on task. I would make it a policy to turn all cell phones off while on their shift. Cell phones can be used while on break or lunch. If it was an emergency, the person can call your place of business -- just like in the good 'ol days! ;)

My hubby's job has made it CLEAR that they are not to even have a cell phone on them or with them. They've gone to amazing levels to insure this. I disagree with that degree of involvement about it. Get rid of someone if they are using it instead of working, but...

At my job, they simply say that it is to be silenced and out of sight on the floor. We can take it outside or whatever on our break if we need to call or text someone. This is what I do. I silence it before I walk into the building and then use it on breaks if I need to.

It'll be a lot harder to control if your business is one that using the phone in some capacity is helpful. How do you know they aren't texting the guy in the next building about business versus their boyfriends? I realize you DO know, but it'll be a lot harder to regulate imo.

However, I think you most certainly need to bring it up. And I'd just be honest with them. You pay them for an honest hour's/day's work and they need to give you that time. What they do on THEIR time is their business. What they do on YOUR time is yours. And they may THINK they can work and text, but you have noticed that they are not being as productive as they should be and that can't be tolerated. The policy at work is cells aren't to be used for personal purposes while you're on the clock. Of course, your door (or email) is always open if someone has another suggestion for consideration.

While working as an admin. assistant/report writer/contract bidder/overall organizer (there really was no title as I was the first full time position at the electrical testing company at which I worked) . . .

I was making $8.00 an hour did way above what was asked of me. In fact, when I was hired, it was only a part-time position, and I was hired to simply write reports. I went from that to designing my own reports, creating presentable contract binders for our contract customers, completely organizing the office, taking over bid contracts, learning how to diagnose transformer oil test results, planned the regional safety conference, etc. I used to take books home to learn how circuit breakers, transformers, and other swithgear components worked.

The person who held a similar position to me who only answered the phone and took care of clerical issues was earning $10.00 an hour (in another office).

My only raise came because the accounting officer, who knew I was working harder than many of them and earning the least amount of anyone, told the boss that I was quitting unless I got a raise. I knew nothing about this until I got the raise. She then told me. I was shocked.

So, a man named Sid occupied the office across from me. He was our branch's first full-time salesperson. He was given a company vehicle. He hardly ever left the office. At this point, my manager was doing a lot of field work, so he left me with the office all day long to manage. While typing reports, I would look over and see him playing Freecell. When my boss or someone else would walk by, he would click out of the screen quickly. I cannot remember how long he worked there, but I had had enough of it. I told the boss what was going on, and he was fired.

People should not rob their employers. It is also completely unfair (I hate using that word, but I could not think of another) to those who have work ethics.

Dh is a pretty easy going boss, and he allowed it up to a point when we had an office - family matters and such. Anything over 20 minutes worth altogether for the day he would start having a problem with. He had a real problem with IMing a few years back. He ended up banning it, but if his employees had kept it to a minimum he would have allowed it. It used to be funny (and annoying) walking through the office - you could see AIM screens minimizing as we made our way through the room. And they really thought we didn't know.:confused: If he wanted to, he could have read every single word they typed on the computer. Now he only has independent contractors working from home, so they could be texting all day. If he notices a drop in productivity, he may give a few warnings, and then they are gone.

It's a common problem. My mother says between the waitresses texting non-stop in between tables and the girlfriends of the guys in the kitchen calling to chat, she is going to scream!

I do not call my dh at work unless absolutely necessary and he only texts me occasionally. It is allowed at his job, but only if it isn't an issue.

This, unfortunately, has become a rampant problem in our society. We own a small business and I can completely relate. My husband and I were just discussing this very issue tonight, and as manager, it will be one of my duties tomorrow to break it to my employees that the phones need to be on vibrate and quit the texting unless you are texting boss for something or you will be fired.

My blood pressure rises every time we have a client in the office and I hear somebody's phone go off. To me emergencies are acceptable, but the amount of time that is wasted on private phone calls/texting/bbming has completely gotten out of control.

And before I leave my soapbox I have to add, I cannot stand it when you are checking out in a line and the cashier is texting either before waiting on you, right after waiting on you and you haven't left yet, or the king of all no-nos, texting while ringing you up. Customer service in this country has really become a lost art over the years.

You may now resume your regularly scheduled internet browsing and thank you for allowing my the chance to rant. Only a flame about 3 feet high could burn my behind more than this topic :001_smile:

:iagree: you save me a lot of typing...

Should be treated like 'personal' calls at work...limited to emergencies only. I recommend you have a clear, written policy so that there are no mis-understandings...and to protect you from 'legal complaints' if someone is fired for this.

I would say NO cell phones at all while working. If an emergency comes up or there is something extremely important to communicate, can they use the work phone for a few minutes??

We've had a family business and hired temp help at times. We did not allow cell phones, but did let them use the company phone to check on children or arrange the time to be picked up.

If you are friend with the parents, I'd bring it to their attention.

I so appreciate all the input. We are going to write up a written policy specifying no cell phone use except during breaks and the cell phones must be left in the break room in their purses. They have no reason to use the cell phone for work related duties. We have a land line at work and someone can call on that if there is an emergency.

At the same time we will add information about initiating work when there isn't work in front of them instead of waiting to be told what to do by a busy manager. It's pretty easy to figure out what work to do. They would just rather talk with the other workers. My husband is a pushover and they get away with what they can. They are nice young ladies and well brought up, but not quite as mature as they will be in another 10 years. I see this at my other job too, by medical professionals. It astounds me that someone will shop online instead of working for hours not a few minutes. That company had to ban use of the internet during work hours. There seems to be an age gap somewhere between 30 and up that chooses to ignore the technology and work like they are supposed to.