Menu

Favorite meals for really hot weather?

Delivery. :) Seriously though, we like to do simple meals of crackers, pecorino cheese, peperoni (the kind you slice yourself), butterkase (cheese), apple slices, grapes, strawberries, celery with cream cheese, and cucumbers. It's very filling and delicious and best of all cool and easy to prepare and clean up.

(Not my favorite, but have you checked out this thread? http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193551)

:lol:

Sandwich/cold food night: fresh, assorted rolls from the bakery, sliced turkey, gouda cheese, tuna salad, etc...; raw veggies, fruit, jam, nutella, etc....

Sometimes we will do something like a quiche & a big salad w/ a ton of toppings.

Grilled fish w/ fresh veggies.

Breakfast for dinner: eggs, sausage, waffles, fresh fruit, oj, etc....

When I was in college, I would sometimes have a banana split (w/ a ton of fruit) as a meal in the summer. That sounds pretty good to me now too, lol! :D

Chicken salsa

Tomatoes

cilantro

cucumber

lime

salt

(vinegar/sugar if the tomatoes lack flavor)

cooked chicken

My weird hot weather food-Hot and Sour soup.:D In fact I had a serving at a Chinese restaurant yesterday, and seriously considered going back for more at dinner. (My family was gone yesterday so I only had to feed myself)

quesadillas like Chili's makes last night and they were yummy. We like to get roasted chicken at Sam's and add a salad or fresh cooked summer veggies. We also have Taco Salad a lot in the summer.

HTH-

Molly

Fruit smoothies; cold fruit and cottage cheese; cheese and crackers; fresh mozzarella and tomato on crackers with fresh basil if available; salad; macaroni salad; sandwiches and potato salad ... Have you noticed nothing uses the stove or oven? :lol: And one of our favorites is a nice cold seedless watermelon. Cut it in quarters, grab spoons, and you've got a great refreshing meal!

I really like taco salad on hot days. I also just made a cucumber salad as a snack salad. Cold pasta salad sounds really good too! As much as we like to grill in the summer, I don't really like to on super hot days. Something about the idea of standing over a flame on a 100+ degree day that doesn't really sound appealing. ;)

Something someone else cooks?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I know that this isn't what you were looking for but couldn't resist. My middle son and his family came on the 4th and he cooked. That was the best meal I have had in ........... well, since last summer when my middle son and his family came and he cooked. :lol::lol::lol:

Cook a whole chicken in the crockpot, then use the meat to add to salads or sandwiches. I set up the crockpot in the garage or on the back deck.

Gazpacho if it's just me. I love it, but no one else in the family will touch it. Heh heh.

Tortilla chips, a chunky salsa, guacamole, bean dip, maybe some cheese sprinkled over the top. Heat up the bean dip in the microwave if you like it warm. Some cold chicken on the side.

And for the ultimate in kid-friendly convenience: Wheat Thins, apples, and string cheese. :D

Cook a whole chicken in the crockpot, then use the meat to add to salads or sandwiches. I set up the crockpot in the garage or on the back deck.

Gazpacho if it's just me. I love it, but no one else in the family will touch it. Heh heh.

Tortilla chips, a chunky salsa, guacamole, bean dip, maybe some cheese sprinkled over the top. Heat up the bean dip in the microwave if you like it warm. Some cold chicken on the side.

And for the ultimate in kid-friendly convenience: Wheat Thins, apples, and string cheese. :D

You must be the sister I never had! This sounds delicious!

One of my favorites - Scarborough Fair Salad

1 tart green apple, chopped

1 tbsp. lemon juice

12 oz. cooked chicken breast (I like to get a roasted chicken from the market and take the meat off)

2 oz. slivered almonds, toasted

2 stalks celery, chopped

2 green onions, sliced

1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

1/3 cup mayonnaise

1/4 tsp. ground thyme

1/8 tsp. garlic powder

1/8 tsp. ground sage

1/8 tsp. dried oregano leaves

1/8 tsp. dried rosemary leaves

1/8 tsp. black pepper

Toss apples with lemon juice in large bowl. Stir in chicken, almonds, celery, green onions, and parsley till combined. Mix remaining ingredients until well blended. Add to chicken mixture and toss thoroughly until evenly coated. Chill before serving.

(From kraftfoods.com)

I happen to be eating that right now (locked in my bathroom- it's been a BAD day). I can tell you, it is SO right.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Poor thing. :grouphug: I've been there myself. Great idea to bring the ice cream into the mommy time out room. Brilliant!!!

FWIW - ice cream for dinner would make me mom of the year here.

My no-cook, it's freakin' 100 degrees outside meal - pizza salad. Salad greens, tomatoes, peppers, other veggies of your choice, chopped pepperoni and shredded mozzarella. Takes all of 5 cool minutes to make and no heat.

Recommend you make it while sipping an ice cold gin and tonic for optimal cooling effect.

Some easy cool ideas:

chicken salad

(I made some from chicken I had cooked from a whole chicken a month ago, diced up and put in the freezer) with grapes. We had it on bread or on romaine pieces.

broccoli with homemade slaw

recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cole-Slaw-Dressing/Detail.aspx?prop31=1

We're having it tonight with grilled chicken. I added some cauliflower, shredded carrots, and Craisins.

fruit

corn on the cob

BLTs

We are eating some out of the garden now. Raw snow peas, lettuces, bok choy, cucumbers etc., and we try to stay in propane. I've grilled or poached (in foil) on the grill. I try not to use the stove at all, although I would rather not use up propane to heat water for grains, pasta, rice etc, although we eat much less of those items in summer. I do that on the stove top, although most often a salad and some fish or a veggie or meat burger is plenty enough. I use the wok for the bok choy etc. It's fast. I am so looking foward to tomato season in full swing...I am a lover of mozzerella and tomatoes.. and portabella mushroom burgers. I could have that ever single day for months...

Edited by LibraryLover

Awh -- thanks. :lol: That must have happened when I tried to change Ben's age after his b-day. Off to correct it. :auto: :lol:

BTW -- He's the one that makes me feel like I've parented for 98 years. (ugh) But, I adore him.

OT, I know, but Dawn, I noticed your siggy the other day, and just had to grin:

You look MUCH too young to have a 98 year old boy. :D

Edited by nestof3

A really, really big greens and veggies salad with lots of cheese chunks or tuna in it.

Any crockpot meal, but cooked outside in the Sun Oven so as to not heat or smell up the house.

Gazpacho with bread.

Oddly enough, chili. I make it ahead and freeze it in quart jars to warm up when we need it.