Menu

How does your partner support you in homeschooling your children?

Specifically, I am a mother of three young preschoolers. My husband and I both agree strongly that we want to homeschool our children, but I'm the one who will be home with them and carry out our schooling plans, whatever that will be, not completely sure yet. (Oh, and Hi I'm new here, this is my first post although I've been scouring the boards for awhile.)

In our relationship, I am definitely the primary researcher about parenting/schooling/etc. Then we talk about the big issues and make decisions together. Sometimes it's hard for me to regurgitate all the many things I've read or thought about that have led me to come up with what I think is the best route for whatever the currrent topic/issue is. But we talk about it the best we can. My husband has good intentions to read up on the matters, but for the most part does not (due to time constraints, other home/work responsibilities, plus the real fact that he is not a fast reader whereas I can speed read).

Anyway, I can already predict that homeschooling could become stressful for us b/c I will be the one who is primarily responsible for not only researching everything about it, but I will also be the one primarily putting it into play. I don't want to adbicate my responsibility for being their primary teacher/facilitator, but I'm more concerned about the effect it may have on our marriage when I feel overwhelmed or at a wall re: schooling/kids/stuff. I can see myself becoming a total obsessed stress ball and ignore my husband completely (which would be bad), or might become resentful that he isn't helping.

So, any suggestions for how to involve the "other" parent in homeschooling, to the best of their ability? What works for you? How can we work toward a balance so that my dh can participate some, or be involved (and he wants to be involved if possible!)?

Thanks in advance!

Guest RecumbentHeart

DH does science experiments with the children. It's a fun way for them to play together while exploring. He will also do phonics practice with my oldest or anything that is pretty much open and go or a read aloud so if I haven't gotten around to something one day he's happy to do those straight forward kinds of things during his time with them.

He also helps by counselling and encouraging me through any breakdowns (yes, I've already had a day or two of crying because I'm convinced I won't be able to educate my children). The biggest support is his trust and firm conviction that I can which makes up for my own lack of the same at times.

Your relationship with your DH sounds very much like mine. He is very encouraging about homeschooling, but he is not the primary researcher or teacher. He doesn't devour books like I do either.

In my experience, I had to let go of the expectation that this would be a partnership deal. DH works his job, and homeschooling is my job. I keep the stuff as organized as I can so if DH has a day off, he can jump in with it. He is often the science experiment guy, since that's what he likes to do. He also does bedtime read-alouds whenever he is home in the evenings.

For me, just keeping him up to date on what the kids are learning keeps him well enough in the loop that DH doesn't feel like a stranger in the house. He is not always interested, but he does let me bounce ideas off of him.

In return, his trust in me is a great reward. I know he believes I'm doing the right thing, constantly sorting through curriculum choices, and teaching to the kids' current interests. That support is gold to me. He doesn't question me or expect me to report to him, and after talking to other homeschool moms, I realize I'm blessed to have him.

He's mostly my encourager, and back up disciplinarian. He also helps me 'get away' from it when I need to.

I look at homeschooling as my 'day job'. Some other families may not like it that way, but it works for us. I let him know how we are doing periodically and talk to him if I'm unsure about a decision I'm making, but for the most part I handle it all. It would be more stressful for me if I had to split it with him...lol. (Just like it would be stressfull for him if he had to collaborate with me with his job) I'm a bit of a control freak though.

hmmm....well there is SO much information out there to digest. So I set time limits on research. Seriously, neither you nor I have the time to sit and research every educational approach that exists. So I do most of my research during the summer. Early summer I look around and see what others are using and explore options. Around the middle of July, I order my stuff. That is the end of research for me, until the next spring. Now that is not to say that if something is not working AT ALL that I don't go looking for answers, but my major drive to find the "perfect" curriculum has to stop; otherwise I constantly second guess myself and never give myself and the kids time to "settle in" to a curriculum and really TRY it, instead of simply sampling it.

My dh trusts me to make these decisions. If we are stuck on a particular topic and I can't figure out a way to get through to the kids, he has been known to step in and see if he can help out somehow. Talk to you dh and find out how involved he wants to be. Is he willing to take over read alouds in the evening to give you some down time? If so, does he want you to help pick books or does he want to do it? or does he want a basket of pre-selected books to choose from? If he wants to not really do much (as my dh does) then you need to be able to turn off school time.

Yes there are tons of learning opportunities, but you don't HAVE to turn everything into educational/teaching/school time! Your kids will learn as much in unofficial school time as they will sitting at the table doing workbooks. As with anything else you have to learn when to let things go. You will never have the "perfect" curriculum. Sometimes you have to give yourself permission to be "okay" instead of "perfect."

And acknowledge that he IS helping you homeschool, even if he never cracks a school book, simply by going to work, paying bills, and being a daddy!

Guest RecumbentHeart
Your kids will learn as much in unofficial school time as they will sitting at the table doing workbooks.

.. and this is another thing that DH is great in. He's always teaching them one way or another. Not in the same way I might be when I have a math curriculum open but in a way that recognizes that the world is our classroom and there is always something interesting to explore and learn. :)

:bigear::bigear:

My DH never really has an opinion on anything, thus leaving 100% of decisions up to me. I do all of the scheduling, planning, finances, house stuff...you name it. So mine really doesnt support me, he just also isnt against anything. Mr. neutral I guess.

If I ask him to do something generally he will. So I asked him to do the Chem experiments and he said yes. Which means I will do all the prep and help with the write ups and he will do the fun part. SIGH.

I have been doing this for a long time and I remember when I was starting out that I wanted my husband to be more involved. Over the years, though, I have seen so much conflict with "involved" husbands. Now I am thankful that my husband trusts me completely with the homeschooling end of things and lets me do whatever I want. He is a sounding board if I need it, but I find better support for making decisions on boards such as these and with other homeschooling moms.

My husband did get more involved as my son reached middle school. He was difficult to homeschool, just really never liked academics. My husband took responsibility for his math about 6th grade and that was a blessing. This was much more about relationships and discipline that homeschooling.

One way that my husband has been a big help is that he understands that because I am homeschooling I need regular breaks from the kids. This may mean spending the evening in my room reading while he is more relationally involved with them. Sometimes it is getting away for lunch with a friend or whatever. It is just that HE GETS IT, that it can be relationally intense (I am a big time introvert) and that I need space.

Best wishes to you! It will take a few years to find your places, but if there is conflict, back off and look for another way through. God has been so faithful to show those ways all along this now 18 year journey.

My dh works 40 hours a week. It would not have occurred to me to expect him to be any more involved with homeschooliing than he was: working 40 hours a week so that I could stay home.

Happily, he never criticized me because the kitchen table was often not tidy, never objected to the field trips disguised as family time that we took on weekends, agreed with my methods--whatever they were, patiently listened to my endless blathering about the merits of this unit study versus that one.

We have done it; I'm sure you can, too. :-)

My husband is my listening ear and support, but I am the researcher and teacher! He is wholly on board with homeschooling, but his job is at work, and mine is to homeschool.

I appreciate that he is willing to hand over the paycheck without complaint for the homeschool supplies, he is willing to listen to me vent and give an outsiders opinion when I have had a rough patch, and he also will look something over if I ask him to when I am second guessing myself. He will do science experiments and plans to be the math and science help in the later grades.

He will not, however, teach a subject, pick the curriculum, or read books about homeschooling. I am ok with that!

Your relationship with your DH sounds very much like mine. He is very encouraging about homeschooling, but he is not the primary researcher or teacher. He doesn't devour books like I do either.

In my experience, I had to let go of the expectation that this would be a partnership deal. DH works his job, and homeschooling is my job. I keep the stuff as organized as I can so if DH has a day off, he can jump in with it. He is often the science experiment guy, since that's what he likes to do. He also does bedtime read-alouds whenever he is home in the evenings.

For me, just keeping him up to date on what the kids are learning keeps him well enough in the loop that DH doesn't feel like a stranger in the house. He is not always interested, but he does let me bounce ideas off of him.

In return, his trust in me is a great reward. I know he believes I'm doing the right thing, constantly sorting through curriculum choices, and teaching to the kids' current interests. That support is gold to me. He doesn't question me or expect me to report to him, and after talking to other homeschool moms, I realize I'm blessed to have him.

:iagree: This is a near-perfect description of my dh too. I will add that mine will pick up the slack with housework because he knows that schooling takes up time when I could be doing chores. He's also excellent at taking the boys out of my hair when we're having those days where I am spent at the end of them. Granted, I had to communicate my needs, worries, and concerns to him before we started, and during this journey, but he responds as best as he can. For that I am grateful.

My dh works 40 hours a week. It would not have occurred to me to expect him to be any more involved with homeschooliing than he was: working 40 hours a week so that I could stay home.

Happily, he never criticized me because the kitchen table was often not tidy, never objected to the field trips disguised as family time that we took on weekends, agreed with my methods--whatever they were, patiently listened to my endless blathering about the merits of this unit study versus that one.

We have done it; I'm sure you can, too. :-)

:iagree:

My husband works 40 hours a week but he comes home at lunch and does math with the kids. I told him back in January that it is overwhelming for me (we were falling behind) :001_smile:and he took math off of my hands. It is such a blessing because he is smart in math and electronics and my kids are doing so well in that area. It gives me more time to focus on the other subjects.

One way that my husband has been a big help is that he understands that because I am homeschooling I need regular breaks from the kids. This may mean spending the evening in my room reading while he is more relationally involved with them. Sometimes it is getting away for lunch with a friend or whatever. It is just that HE GETS IT, that it can be relationally intense (I am a big time introvert) and that I need space.

Best wishes to you! It will take a few years to find your places, but if there is conflict, back off and look for another way through. God has been so faithful to show those ways all along this now 18 year journey.

)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

It will probably take you at least a year, maybe two to feel like you are on top of things and doing ok.

My DH is a high school teacher/college professor. He takes an interest in our homeschooling, but defers to me to be the teacher/planner. He works upwards of 60 hours a week outside the house plus grading, etc. when he is home. He doesn't have time to be too involved.

Starting this school year, I have asked him to sit with DS for about 20 minutes when he gets home (only 3 days a week) and allow DS to describe what he has been learning. Since I am with DS 24/7, this will give me a slight respite if for nothing else but to be able to get dinner on the table a little quicker. It will also allow DH to a least 'stay current' on the homeschool front.

My husband, when he's in town, works in his home office. Sometimes, he'll have a conference call cancel during school time. He'll pop out of his office and take over teaching so that I can get time to run errands without the kids.

He's a wonderful substitute teacher. :)

He's mostly my encourager, and back up disciplinarian. He also helps me 'get away' from it when I need to.

I look at homeschooling as my 'day job'. Some other families may not like it that way, but it works for us. I let him know how we are doing periodically and talk to him if I'm unsure about a decision I'm making, but for the most part I handle it all. It would be more stressful for me if I had to split it with him...lol. (Just like it would be stressfull for him if he had to collaborate with me with his job) I'm a bit of a control freak though.

:iagree:

Homeschooling is my job - DH has a job. Both of us have good days and bad days and stressful days and less stressful days :001_smile:. I think the key is to know that he supports you and if he will listen when you need to talk, that is great. My dh is a computer programmer and taught a programming elective to my ds this year. Otherwise, he has not participated in the teaching. He listens if I am struggling with a curriculum decision, but just as a sounding board. He can often say, you obviously want to do "this", so just go ahead when I am thinking it is too expensive or something and trying to make another idea work instead of my first choice.

Support. That is what I love and get. Not help though.

Every once in a while he gives me a free day by taking kids to the lab. :D He also handles a lot of science and mathy stuff with them, when I'm too lazy to, or when they want it - that includes experiments, extra-cool "real" experiments in the lab he takes them to see once in a while, checking their math or going over something with them, all of that on an occasional basis, but they all like it.

He also helps out with Hebrew once in a while by talking to the girls, or by doing something Judaic with them together, or individually - he seems to connect with the younger kid through science, and with the older kid through Hebrew and Judaics. I'm happy, as long as they're connected. :)

He tries to be there the most he can, but more often than not he's away during the week, and often on some business travels and meetings (he works in science, pharmaceutical industry and international business - a killer combination, but it means he's gone a LOT). He makes up by arranging family trips, taking the kids sometimes with him for a day or two somewhere (when I need a break :D), taking us all abroad on holidays, and generally doing the "finances" of our homeschooling (I order, he pays :D).

We do talk about our educational choices, but he limited his area of influence to science, math and Judaics/Hebrew, and trusts my choices regarding everything else. He's also backing me up in my other decision regarding kids, home, etc. I find his help very, very important and his support means a lot, even though his head is in formulae and finances most of the time. :)

Like most of the others mentioned here, my husband is not very involved in the details of homeschooling. He supports me by working hard at his job, trusting me to make the decisions about curriculum and money, and never complaining about the fact that the house is messy and the dinners are simple. He is also very good at taking the kids in the evening to give me a break and understanding that I sometimes need to go hibernate or get. out. by. myself.

And that is just fine with me--it works well this way. :001_smile:

Those are pretty much the roles we've fallen into. I'm the one that thinks, obsesses, and researches homeschooling. He doesn't. Not that he doesn't care, but he's busy with work, etc. I consider it a division of labor. I don't worry about how to best coach our son's baseball team, and he doesn't research different chemistry programs. :)

Sometimes I find myself melting down with the enormity of it all, but he's always happy to listen to me as I freak out or even think things through aloud. He's very supportive, and that's the most important thing to me.

By earning a good living so I'm able to stay home and teach. He will take an occasional trip or outing with the kids that's school-related. That's it, and it's fine with me. I prefer he not have too many opinions as I consider hsing my job.

My house is a little different since I work from home plus I'm working on my PhD and also dh had to convince me to homeschool. DH just works so he has a lot more free time than I do.

He teaches them science, map reading, dd's math and anything else I ask him to. I choose everything, he works with what I give him. Last night he spent hours researching stuff on youtube to help dd with a math concept she wasn't getting. The biggest help is that he also teaches them "aeronautics" meaning he brings them to work and lets them play on the flight simulators (he's a pilot so he's teaching them to fly) when I get frustrated and need time alone.

My husband does not help teach, he does not research teaching methods, idealogies or curriculum. Homeschooling is pretty much, my job in our family. He is very supportive, he always listens to the kids tell him about what new thing they learned that day. He will brag about how smart the kids are and how well they are doing, he will stick up for me when MIL complains about our "homeschooling", but he does not get involved with our every day life of homeschooling and learning.

The biggest support I get from my husband is when he comes home from his job and after doing his farm work, he pitches in to help pick up the house, make meals, wash dishes or throw a load of laudry in the washing machine ( including folding and putting it away). Whatever he sees that needs to be done, he does it without having to be asked.

It is the BEST thing he can do to support me in homeschooling our children, since I spend the entire day teaching them and focusing on our schooling, his help in the housework is the best support I could ever receive ! He did the same when I had young nursing babies and was up all night nursing every two hours and I was so exhausted all the time.

He also is very supportive in listening to me drone on and on and on about this new curriculum or that new teaching method or what I want to use next for the new school year. The man is a Saint ! I know his eyes glaze over, I know he really doesn't care either way if I use Singapore, RightStart or MEP math, he has no idea what any of these curriculums consist of or what the difference is between them, but he listens to me anyway. And when I am done with my " I am so overwhelmed help me figure out what curriculum to use" tirade, he assures me that he knows that I will pick out the best curriculum for our children and he tells me to buy whatever I need for the new school year and doesn't complain about the cost. ( I do stay within our budget)

He also is smart enough and spent enough years with me to know that it does him no good to give me advice, since he really doesn't know anything about one curriculum from the other, and I will do what I want in the end anyway. But he is always there to let me "bounce ideas" off of and he is there to reassure me that he supports me in whatever I decide to do in the end. And he tells me that he believes in me ! That is the best support I can get ! :)

My kids' dad and I have been separated for several years, and he's always preferred they be enrolled in public or private school.

Still, he pays my mortgage, for my car, insurances, cell phone and cable/internet bills -- all in all about 75% of my expenses -- allowing me to work minimally outside of the home, and giving me ample time and energy to devote to homeschooling our kids. He also contributes to a retirement fund for me, knowing I'm unable to participate actively in my company's program.

He has no interest in it at all, but he also joins me at the annual homeschool convention in our area. He has no real interest in content, methodology, or programs we use/choose, but he will humor me by offering an opinion should I solicit one from him.

He definitely has his warts, but this is one area where he really shines as a partner.

Dh is 100% supportive. Like some of the others, I look at this as my full-time job. I'm also a bit of a control freak, so I don't really want an equal partnership on this one! He is very interested, and shows this by the fact that he listens to me explain what I've read and researched, engages in conversations about methodology and curriculum, gladly attends homeschool conferences, etc.

He doesn't really teach any official subject, although he has talked about doing an economics course with them when they're older, since he has much interest in this area. He has participated with history, and most certainly engages them in current events and political discussions. These are educational, but not officially part of our homeschooling, iykwim. Oh, and he has gone through and checked over their work for me, when I've asked.

Quite honestly, what I value most is the fact that he provides for the family so I am able to be home and that he is there to listen to me (and give a foot rub) when I'm stressed out. He's also a great helper around the house, which helps with my homeschooling in a roundabout way. Oh, and I love that we are both addicted to books. He loves seeing my "finds" from Goodwill, Amazon, or the consignment store. And he participates in the quest for even more books (and bookcases) by going to hit the yard sales with me. And last, but certainly not least, he is never grumpy when I need him to help rearrange all those bookcases...AGAIN! LOL! Hmm...come to think of it, I'm wondering if this whole homeschooling thing is just an excuse to enable our addiction...LOL!

:iagree: We haven't moved out of normal parenting of toddlers into school yet, since the kids are only 3 and 1, but I won't expect any more from dh later than I do now. That is as Ellie describes, and the understanding that if worst comes to worst and I've barricaded myself in the bedroom shouting that I hate everybody and everything, he should take the kids for a nice long walk. I'll be pleased to see them all again in an hour or two. :rolleyes:

Rosie

For some crazy reason, I thought dh and I would be equal partners in homeschooling, and in parenting in general. I don't know why I thought that, since I've always been a sahm, but I did.

Yes, I pick out the books and do some teaching to the kids, and facilitate their interests, but dh pays for it all, provides moral support, and sometimes actually does a little teaching himself.

I think he provides support in an underlying way; he really wants the kids homeschooled, so he is pretty willing to do whatever I want to keep me doing this.

Honestly, I see our whole family, our marriage, everything as being dh's responsibility. I help him, but it's ultimately his project. He wanted to marry me right away after meeting me, wanted to have lots of kids, wanted to have us live around the world, and intended to pay for it all himself. I'm riding along on his adventure, and the kids have joined us. Maybe this is an irresponsible way of viewing this, but that's pretty much how I see it.

DH is my substitute teacher on days where I have an appointment or just need a break. I make a list of the lessons to be covered and he runs with it.

He works with DS on Cub Scout advancements and academic/sports belt loops and pins, many of which apply to school subjects. He is teaching DS how to build and troubleshoot computers.

But mostly he listens to me when I think I'm going to lose my mind.

So, any suggestions for how to involve the "other" parent in homeschooling, to the best of their ability?

What is he good at? My husband reads at a third grade level, so his job is field trips. Hiking, kayaking, camping, road trips, museums, farm visits, you name it. While he is doing that, I get the planning done in peace (and some housework and a nap, too).

I do all the planning - I try to tell DH about the curriculum, and he tries to listen, but his eyes glaze over. It's the acronyms, I think:tongue_smilie: RS? MCT?

I do all the implementation - I'm here during the school day, he's not.

I do all the pulling-out-hair.

But - he doesn't question any decision I make about curriculum. He says scarcely a word about all the packages that arrive from Rainbow, Amazon, etc. Every morning he tells the boys "study well for Mom," and means it. Every evening his first questions to them are about how they did, both behaviorally and academically. He questions them about their studies and reviews their papers and projects with genuine interst. If he comes home and I am bald (see "hair-pulling") he takes the boys away while I have a glass of wine. If they complain about any of their work, he always - always - takes my side and reminds them how lucky they are. And when I say I've had it and can't do this anymore, he always - again, always - tells me what a great mom and teacher I am, how they are so much better off here than at school, and then suggests I go take a break.

Unconditional moral support. I don't know a lot of professional teachers who get that from their administration or parents.

This sounds like us. I have the Masters in Ed and he is technology. he has offered to help with computer stuff when they get bigger but he completely trusts that I know what I am doing.

Thank you for all the responses! This has gotten me thinking about my expectations of homeschooling and how things might work. And great ideas on how to involve dad in a limited way. Fascinating stuff.

Many of the situations you all describe with your dh (with the dh providing moral support, a break with the kids, help with the housework) are things that dh does already while I've been a SAHM. In fact, my husband reallly goes above and beyond as far as being a helper to me.

And I do see raising the kids now as "my job" just as much as he has "his job"; both of us play a vital role. It is a good feeling when he says how glad he is that I am home with the kids teaching them and providing them a loving environment. It seems like my idea that that his role should change significantly is probably not a wise one, since it would rock our boat from how we do things currently.

Anyway, we just had a good conversation about all of this over breakfast and that was a good thing!

Thanks so much--I look forward to being more involved on the boards!

Diana

I agree with this. Homeschooling is different in every family and in ours I do the research, implement, tweak, and manage basically everything. Other friends have the husbands involved all along the way but that would NOT work for us. If my DH wanted to tell me what to buy and then I had to implement it - it would annoy me. :) He also travels a lot, so relying on him would be eternally frustrating.

Our system works very well for us, and it's fine that it's different. He's endlessly supportive, listens, turns a blind eye when the bills come in and helps focus the kids if they need it - but for the nuts and bolts of it - it's all me. He has his job and I have mine. Expecting more of him would be unrealistic and create expectations that would never be met. I believe that if I expected him to homeschool in addition to his regular job - the likelihood he would still be supportive would be zero. My kids would be in traditional school - he just cannot add anything more to his day and I understand and respect that.

I will say that with the exception of an occasional vent or a couple hours of alone time - homeschooling for us doesn't require so much that I need that much back up. It may when the kids are in Calculus, but right now it's more of a natural extension of our lives. We do our schoolwork like we do our chores or anything else. I know it seems so intimidating when you start - but it's really not that huge of a deal. Don't stress about it - you'll probably soon find that it's a very natural progression. :)