Menu

DD saved a life. BIG Brag Alert enclosed!

DD, the paramedic student, had a tweleve hour night shift that ended at 5:00 a.m. today. She's doing her clinicals and so she rides with a paramedic trainer and another paramedic or an E.M.T.

The first call was to someone having trouble breathing, it was just a few blocks from the station and so they were there VERY quickly. She was the first out of the rig (in my mind I can just imagine how fast she bolted our of there - I hope the vehicle was actually at a complete stop!) and got to the patient several seconds before the head paramedic. She began triaging and diagnosed anaphylactic shock plus the estimate weight of the patient and was drawing epinephrine in one syringe and benadryl in another so rapidly that the head paramedic said, "you've got this one nailed; go for it!" She completely treated the patient on her own, of course under supervision, but she did everything. Shots, I.V., vitals., etc. The other two took a full patient medical history while she worked. She did not need the instructor at all but of course he was supervising to make sure she didn't make any mistakes. It turns out that the young man was getting ready for a date and put on some new cologne he'd never warn before. He immediately began itching and then started having trouble breathing. He got in the shower thinking that would help but got woosy. His mother called 911 even though he was convinced he could just go to his room and have a nap!

The patient was unconcious, unresponsive, and gray. According the head paramedic, he was within seconds of cardiac arrest when they arrived. Of course, the patient was transferred immediately when stabilized and she was allowed to ride in the back of the rig and deliver all of his patient care! She was just so excited and I am sure she was running on a bit of an adreneline rush!

As it turns out, the senior paramedic on her rig was the head of triage for the simulated plane crash/jet fuel contamination training event that I posted about back in April. She had volunteered to be his assistant and helped lead the triage unit that day. I guess he was impressed enough with her then to feel confident in letting her take the lead on the case. He also told her that she was an excellent mathematician to figure the weight/dosages so quickly under that kind of pressure on her very first A.L.S. run (so dh and I feel pretty good about that home school education we gave her!!!).

She got a perfect review from him. The sad thing was that her friend from E.M.T. class was on the rig and he wants to get his paramedic license but needed to work for a while to earn money for the classes. As an E.M.T., he can not do the medical procedures that DD was doing as a paramedic student. He seemed a little down about that so she tried to cheer him up.

The second run of the evening was to a father of the bride at a wedding. He had gotten dizzy and passed out. Turns out he was dehydrated and hadn't taken his blood pressure meds (probably a pretty hectic day for him) so dd was given the task of starting his I.V. and helping the instructor run a baseline E.K.G.

The third run was to a car accident in which a drunk who may have also been under the influence of drugs, ran his car at high speed into a curb, went airborne, and hit a school building. He hit on the passenger side of his car and skimmed along the wall. It sheered the side of the car off and caved in the wall. It turned out to be the music room and a baby grand piano was destroyed along with some instruments and band supplies - police told her they estimated the damage to the school at $70,000.00. GRRR...as a music teacher, this makes me want to beat the livin' daylights out of him. He walked away from the incident....well, as far as witnesses would let him walk until the police arrived. He didn't have any major injuries just lots of cuts from the shattered glass. They doctored him up and a Bravo rig (non-advanced life support) transported him to the hospital where he will be drug tested and sleep off his hang-over so that the police can have their way with him.

Fourth run was to transport an unstable, elderly gentleman from his nursing home to the hospital. He is dying of lung cancer and doesn't have long. DD got to administer pain meds and she held his hand and sang to him during the ride. I am just so proud of her!

There, Faith has now exhausted her braggin'! I just couldn't help myself.

Proud mamma, Faith

She sounds like she is doing an excellent job. She handled everything beautifully with compassion, intelligence and skill. You should be proud of her! (I must be getting old. I'm sitting her with tears in my eyes. Your daughter really did great)

Thanks everyone! I don't know if my heart could be fuller! She is just such a gem and to be that put together at 19, is something that dh and I feel so blessed by. Her birthday was last week and I can't figure out where the time has gone. Thankfully, she still lays her chin on my shoulder and says, "Food?" in her little girl way which still makes me believe she needs me even though I know she's a big, grown up woman now.

Her grandma, the retired nursing professor, is going to be one happy, button-busting, proud granny when she gets home from vacation tomorrow. I may have to send dd to the airport so they can talk shop all the way home.

Now, if I could just get ds 13 to think about something besides, Star Wars, Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, and pizza, I'd feel like round two of this launching a teenager thing was going better! LOL

Faith

She was the first out of the rig (in my mind I can just imagine how fast she bolted our of there - I hope the vehicle was actually at a complete stop!) and got to the patient several seconds before the head paramedic. She began triaging and diagnosed anaphylactic shock plus the estimate weight of the patient and was drawing epinephrine in one syringe and benadryl in another so rapidly that the head paramedic said, "you've got this one nailed; go for it!"

The patient was unconcious, unresponsive, and gray. According the head paramedic, he was within seconds of cardiac arrest when they arrived.

Way to go, Faith's daughter! And as the mother of two anaphylactic children, this is a wonderful story! You're the kind of person I'd want taking care of my kids if needed.