Menu

A purely frivoulous announcement: I am officially in danger of dropping off Page 1.

Shock! Horror! My dearth of participation on this board, as evidenced by my stagnant post count, has me edging ever closer to Page 2. I must engage! Discuss! Debate! Alas, my life at this point revolves around one primary topic. The topic. The World Cup. Is there life beyond it? I think not.

Shock! Horror! My dearth of participation on this board, as evidenced by my stagnant post count, has me edging ever closer to Page 2. I must engage! Discuss! Debate! Alas, my life at this point revolves around one primary topic. The topic. The World Cup. Is there life beyond it? I think not.

Quick! Post, post!!

Do you know I have to get up at FOUR IN THE MORNING to watch the Algeria v. US game live?

Quick! Post, post!!

I'm thinking, I'm thinking. Stop stressing me out!

Do you know I have to get up at FOUR IN THE MORNING to watch the Algeria v. US game live?

This of course begs the question...why do you care about the Algeria v. US game?;) The first game of the day is at 4:30 am here. I've done it. It actually makes for a decent routine: Watch the 4:30 am game. Go for a run. Have breakfast and watch the 7:00 am game. Do something else while keeping an eye on the clock. Have lunch and watch the 11:30 am game. Rinse and repeat.:tongue_smilie:

I'm thinking, I'm thinking. Stop stressing me out!

:D

This of course begs the question...why do you care about the Algeria v. US game?;)

It's a good question, especially after we got ROBBED in our last game!

The first game of the day is at 4:30 am here. I've done it. It actually makes for a decent routine: Watch the 4:30 am game. Go for a run. Have breakfast and watch the 7:00 am game. Do something else while keeping an eye on the clock. Have lunch and watch the 11:30 am game. Rinse and repeat.:tongue_smilie:

I just need more sleep than I used to, back in the day. I get cranky. Nobody on the board likes it when I'm cranky, never mind in my house. :lol:

Should I be ashamed to admit I don't know what sport the World Cup is for?

:eek:

The other choice is to just stay up all night...

See the above comment on needing more sleep these days. ;)

This is as close to following the world cup as I can get:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-1RPDqJAY

Oh, my good grief. A pox on you, woman! That was rilly annoying, if I do say so myself.:tongue_smilie:

You're lucky you have the game to distract you from this wretched, wretched weather we're having. Grr.

Oh, yes, speaking of annoying. June gloom indeed. Granted, yesterday was pleasant. I s'pose two pleasant days in a row would be too much to ask. Harrumph!

Ah, but in order to be robbed you must have something worth stealing. Say, a team that can actually play a full 90 minutes. Ahem.

At least they aren't the French team. ;)

eta: I would like to add that their problem in the field is the same as many big college football teams. Quit going for the big play and just move the ball down the field! QUIT KICKING IT TOWARD YOUR GOAL! Sheesh, I gripe at my kids for that!

Edited by Mrs Mungo

At least they aren't the French team. ;)

eta: I would like to add that their problem in the field is the same as many big college football teams. Quit going for the big play and just move the ball down the field! QUIT KICKING IT TOWARD YOUR GOAL! Sheesh, I gripe at my kids for that!

That sounds like unsinkable's ice hockey game plan for winning:

Shootandshootandshootandshootandshootandshoot because eventually we will score. Repeat until the game is over and we have won.

That sounds like unsinkable's ice hockey game plan for winning:

Shootandshootandshootandshootandshootandshoot because eventually we will score. Repeat until the game is over and we have won.

Exactly! Turn and SHOOT! If 14 year old girls can get the concept, what is the problem?

Oh, my.

Did anyone see the 2 players in the Japan-Netherlands game exchange jerseys right after their game?

That was so sweet! I hadn't seen that before...made me happy!

Oh, yes, it's very nice to see players exchange jerseys. Very nice indeed.;)

Quit going for the big play and just move the ball down the field!

Yes ~ more teamwork, more passing. Yet even the "big play" mentality is over-shadowed by a general lethargy. There's a notable lack of and offense permeating this World Cup.

Yes ~ more teamwork, more passing. Yet even the "big play" mentality is over-shadowed by a general lethargy. There's a notable lack of and offense permeating this World Cup.

I agree, especially where the US is concerned. I don't know WHAT is going on with our mid-field.

I had to go search for what you meant by page 1.

Like competition? Are you ladies going to exchange shirts, keyboards or some other token as a display of respect?

Nope, no competition. Shirt exchanges...now there's a thought. But we may not have the six-packs for it...

I agree, especially where the US is concerned. I don't know WHAT is going on with our mid-field.

You mean aside from the fact that we don't have we don't have any?;) I just can't take the U.S. seriously when it comes to international play. Of course, the MLS does provide a safe haven for Euro players who are passing their prime...

So, that's what it takes to get you back, eh? ;) So good to see you!

Eww, that is so gross. I am assuming by exchange you mean they took it off and handed it to the other guy. Ewwwwww!

How about giving someone a nice clean jersey from the duffle bag?

LOL! The last thing athletes are worried about is a little sweat.

I had to go search for what you meant by page 1.

So...could ya like explain it to me...:001_huh:

I'm feeling particularly dense right now. I've been working on pharmacy continuing education all day...feeling the need to exercise another part of my brain :tongue_smilie:

So...could ya like explain it to me...:001_huh:

I'm feeling particularly dense right now. I've been working on pharmacy continuing education all day...feeling the need to exercise another part of my brain :tongue_smilie:

Click on the "community" menu at the top of the page, click "members list" in the pop-up menu. Click where it says "posts," this will sort the members by number of posts. :D

I'm so glad Brasil hasn't gone the way of the other "powerhouse" teams. My dh is a long-time Germany fan, and lets just say he's been grumpy. This has been a very exciting World Cup, even though I'm usually watching alone instead of in an enthusiastic crowd of people. At least I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to listen to Fernando Fiore et al. I'm not sure I could take a vuvuzela at 4 am.

I've been here a while, but am an infrequent poster.

I'm just sliding in here to say hello. When I saw your location, I immediately knew you must have been from the B'ham area. My hubby participated in the kayak portion of ski-to-sea 15-ish years ago...pre-kids...when we lived in Seattle.

We're now a little south of B'ham and several of my friends are dairy farmers (most are Dutch), as were my grandparents.

Hello! :D

Carry on.

Amy....homeschooling mama to 3 nature-loving boys

I've been here a while, but am an infrequent poster.

I'm just sliding in here to say hello. When I saw your location, I immediately knew you must have been from the B'ham area. My hubby participated in the kayak portion of ski-to-sea 15-ish years ago...pre-kids...when we lived in Seattle.

We're now a little south of B'ham and several of my friends are dairy farmers (most are Dutch), as were my grandparents.

Hello! :D

Carry on.

Amy....homeschooling mama to 3 nature-loving boys

Nice to "meet" you, Amy.:) Yes, I'm definitely in Ski to Sea Nirvana. Hans (my husband) has been doing the race for 10+ years now. He had the cross-country ski leg for quite a while but has been in the canoe these past two years. He and his partner were 32nd overall (out of 450+ teams) in the canoe in this year's race. Nice! Your husband should get involved again. It's always fun to hang out at the water and watch the kayaks come in at the end.

Wish you could be here Colleen. AWESOME atmosphere!

That's what I hear from friends in South Africa who hang out on the Sonlight board. So fun! A trip to South Africa has long been on my agenda (I've probably told you that) and watching the games really makes me wish I was there now. Are you going to get to any of the games?

Hi Colleen, I have noticed you sneak in a post here and there over the last months but you have been noticeably quiet (and uncontroversial!). I have noticed your absence but I suspected eventually you would be drawn back here.

Its lovely to have you back !