Menu

Tampons and young women question

I am now mom to a young woman! My daughter has swimming tomorrow and so far we have had no luck with tampons. I left it entirely up to her to try but she doesn't want to miss out so we gave it a try. We have tried a couple of times and she says it hurts. We are trying the thinnest size but so far it's a no go.... Any advice??

I have never been able to wear tampons - they were always uncomfortable and hurt. I didn't know why until my first gyn. appointment. I have a retroverted uterus and the dr. said it could def. cause discomfort.

I don't know if it could be the same problem but that was my experience and I was told it's probably nothing and to just keep trying. I was so glad to finally know why it bothered me so much. Hope you figure it out!

Have your tried different brands? Sometimes different "fabric" used could make a difference. Playtex, OB, Kotex etc.

I know about swimming and tampons. My mom was dead against tampons and I did feel bad about going behind her back and using them but... hey, I was on the swim team and we were going to the state championships!!!!!

How about trying Instead feminine cup? (See: http://www.softcup.com/). They're so inexpensive, so you won't be out much if she doesn't like them. I tried Diva Cup and hated it, so with Instead I wear it the same...one cup for my whole cycle (they say to replace every time you need to empty). I find it SO comfortable I don't even know it's there.

I feel your pain. Hopefully you can find a solution. Last week I became a mom to a young lady, too!!!

Get the thinnest kind with a smooth applicator. You can use a little KY on it. Have daughter lie on her BACK with her knees bent, and put it faaaaaar in. The biggest mistake is not getting far enough in. Hence lying on your back and relaxing, first. Is she willing to put her finger in first and see how far back it is to land this thing behind her cervix?

HTH

Are you sure she is doing it right? I tried it when I first had my period and I vividly remember the pain of the first few times I tried it. I couldn't stand it. I knew it wasn't supposed to hurt so I tried a few more times (and I really wanted to go swimming) obsessed over the manual that came with it and I don't know how, but I eventually figured out I was doing it wrong and once I figured that out, there was no pain or problem. My problems were- 1- not inserting it high enough. I think Tampax ones have an applicator with ridges on the grip. Make sure she knows to insert it all the way to the grip ridges before trying to push the tampon in through the applicator. 2- I was doing it at the wrong angle. Make sure she knows to insert it toward her back and not her stomach. Good luck!

She needs to keep trying. A water-based lubricant will ease insertion. She likely isn't inserting it far enough. Has she tried standing with her foot propped up on the closed toilet lid or the side of the tub? That's good advice about having her insert a finger to feel how far in she can comfortably go. Is she using plastic applicator tampons? Those are the easiest ones to insert IMO.

I also have a retroverted uterus but I can wear tampons. In fact, I didn't even know I had this until my OB told me when I was pregnant with my third child!

She's probably not getting it in far enough. KY and OB tampons work wonders for making things easier. The Instead cups are nice, but take even more knowledge of the insides to get into good placement. Have her flare out the bottom of the OB and insert it as far as she can, then give a little tug on the string. If it moves, she didn't go up far enough. Also make sure she knows to tuck the string up inside where she can reach it but there won't be any mishaps with the string falling out the side of her swimsuit.

When I was younger, I didn't understand how far up they had to be pushed. When I explained how to insert it, I kinda showed with my hands how far up it goes... and said... Go as far as you think... and then a bit more. Most young teens haven't explored enough to realize that it doesn't go up just an inch...

Good Luck...

PS, when I was young, a bit of vaseline on the tip helped..

But some people just can't do it. I have tried many times over the years and just cannot wear one without it hurting. I've tried getting used to it even. Nope. I didn't try lying down to do it and that seems to make sense to me considering what else I know as an adult. I might try that. Cups didn't work better, probably because of the shape of my uterus and how it sits now.

Anyway, some people just can't. My daughter won't even try. She hates not being able to swim, but she's not willing to even try. I, otoh, think I'll try this next TOM because I don't wanna miss out on swimming.

I have never been able to use tampons. I am well acquainted with my body and know how to insert properly. The pain is bad, but I also feel the string and it bothers me to no end. I have very light flow. I asked my midwife once and she said that not all women can wear them due to physiological differences, flow rates, and comfort levels.

Get the thinnest kind with a smooth applicator. You can use a little KY on it. Have daughter lie on her BACK with her knees bent, and put it faaaaaar in. The biggest mistake is not getting far enough in. Hence lying on your back and relaxing, first. Is she willing to put her finger in first and see how far back it is to land this thing behind her cervix?

HTH

Good advice. I still remember my first time. I wasn't positioning it right, and it just would not go in. Relaxing is key.

I have never been able to use tampons. I am well acquainted with my body and know how to insert properly. The pain is bad, but I also feel the string and it bothers me to no end. I have very light flow. I asked my midwife once and she said that not all women can wear them due to physiological differences, flow rates, and comfort levels.

Yes. I wouldnt insist on them. I've never understood mothers that do.

For me, they were highly uncomfortable and useless for heavy flow. I've always preferred pads.

A teaspoon of mineral oil used to stop my cycle for approx 24 hours. I haven't remembered my granny giving me that in decades!

Wonder what the health of that is or is not. I'll have to do some research. Not that I'd bother with it today.

HTH

My dd (17, swimmer) seconds kalanmak's advice. We still laugh about one of her practices when she was 12. She was out of the pool and on her way to the bathroom for the 6th time when her coach ( a young woman) quietly whispered "push it up higher" when dd walked past. Worked like a charm.

I would recommend trying OB tampons. You put them in with your finger, so you get lots better control. Tell her to push it in as far as it will go because then you pass by all the muscles and nerves which is likely what is causing the discomfort.

Also, taking them out when they are dry can cause irritation. No practicing by putting 3 in in quick succession, ok?

hth!

I'd suggest a slender (for starters) Playtex plastic applicator-type. I see several people have suggested an OB, but I think those are MUCH harder to put in (since they don't slide easily) and hard to tell (for beginners) if they are in far enough. They also just feel bigger to me. At least with the Playtex you have those grips to tell you how far to push in. I also agree with the people who say to push them way the heck up there! I don't think she'd be able to push them too far! It sure does hurt when they aren't in all the way.

Congrats to the new young lady!

No more technical advice here; I bet that your daughter's desire to swim will eventually override her fear. I remember being in her dilemma with dance. ( Missing class wasn't an option!) It hurt a little at first, but got better. Again, I would encourage her that getting in deep is better than not deep enough. She can do it!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

OB tampons are shorter length wise than any others I have seen, they also absorb around instead of length wise like many do, this was a huge deal for my daughter.

It has to go farther in than most think. The average Cervix opening is as far back as the length of your middle finger. The string tip of the tampon should be placed that far back, farther than the length of her finger. If she is standing and feels it ( the tampon, not just the string ), it is not at the cervix area, it isn't far enough back.

A properly placed tampon shouldn't be painful at all. There are some who can't wear them, but very few really.

Have you tried Obs? I am NOT comfortable with Tampax -- most of the brands out there. But I love "OB" brand. They seem much smaller, inside. Don't cause the same issue.

Yes, I was going to suggest these. They are much shorter and use no applicator. My girls are very petite and they were able to use them from the first period.

Barb

Are you sure she is doing it right? I tried it when I first had my period and I vividly remember the pain of the first few times I tried it. I couldn't stand it. I knew it wasn't supposed to hurt so I tried a few more times (and I really wanted to go swimming) obsessed over the manual that came with it and I don't know how, but I eventually figured out I was doing it wrong and once I figured that out, there was no pain or problem. My problems were- 1- not inserting it high enough. I think Tampax ones have an applicator with ridges on the grip. Make sure she knows to insert it all the way to the grip ridges before trying to push the tampon in through the applicator. 2- I was doing it at the wrong angle. Make sure she knows to insert it toward her back and not her stomach. Good luck!
:iagree:

Does she know how the applicator works? I can't tell you how many times I've had girls (I used to work with youg teens) tell me they thought you were supposed to put the whole thing in. Waste one as a visual; and a reminder to push it as far as one can, can make a huge difference.

She did it! :party:

So here are the details...

We had tried the OB thinnest tampons because those are the ones I use. And no, we didn't try several in a row.... we knew to wait in between!

We succeded today with the Tampax Light but I think the main difference was that we smeared the tip and the sides with vaseline. Also I had to guide her on the where to stop, she was not pushing it in far enough at first!

Thank you so so much for the tips and encouragement!

She did it! :party:

So here are the details...

We had tried the OB thinnest tampons because those are the ones I use. And no, we didn't try several in a row.... we knew to wait in between!

We succeded today with the Tampax Light but I think the main difference was that we smeared the tip and the sides with vaseline. Also I had to guide her on the where to stop, she was not pushing it in far enough at first!

Thank you so so much for the tips and encouragement!

You need to change the vaseline to a water based lubricant because although the vagine is a self cleaning organ, it has a hard time getting all the vaseline out and that is a petroleum based product that is not good for you. Try KY or something else like that.

You need to change the vaseline to a water based lubricant because although the vagine is a self cleaning organ, it has a hard time getting all the vaseline out and that is a petroleum based product that is not good for you. Try KY or something else like that.

Thank you for the advice. We will do that!