Menu

Just Needing To Talk About What Is On My Heart

Just wanted to chat. I am a new home schooler about 6 months in. The other day I called a speech therapist to find out what were the requirements to get my ds into speech since he took it in PS. While talking to the speech therapist she asked me a few questions. I told her that I am now homeschooling and she asked me was I aware that my ds could still receive help through the PS, since he was on an IEP. I didn't know this and she also told me that she would still assist me outside of the school if I wished. She was so nice.

I took a visit over to the PS exceptional building and I told them what I was there for and the first thing that came out of the secretary's mouth was "oh no we don't do that, the child has to be enrolled in PS. So I repeated back to her exactly what the speech therapist said to me " I am a taxpayer of this county and I see no reason why my child can't be served. The speech therapist had already warned me of what they may try and say. So I ended up going back to speak with the assistant director over elementary ed and the director of middle grade ed since my son will be entering the 6Th grade this year. They wanted to give me the run around. The director of middle grades, she wanted to question my intelligence and she replied at first saying "no" I asked her why? Then she said something about "oh I thought you signed where you no longer wanted him to receive special ed". How in the world could she come up with that? I said "no, I only withdrew him from school" aha I got her there. She had no choice then but to offer him the services, so they ended up telling me when school starts back up take him to the zone he is zoned for and he can receive these services. I replied "thank you".

What really got next to my heart was the assistant director of elementary ed kept saying the whole time I was there "you need to put him back in school" she said it so much I eventually asked her "why"? Her response "he needs to be around other kids for socialization". (I am really mad at this point, because it made me feel as if though she looked at me as anybody who don't know what their doing. Mind you not she has the title of Dr. attached on to her name. A lot of other stuff was said but I just wanted to talk about this. How can I stop worrying about what other's are saying?

I cant' forget the times I would visit my kids school at that time, only to be ignored by the principal, assisstant principal and when asking the counselor if she knew of any resources that my ds could attend just for Summer for enjoyment only to be told "you know there is AARC that helps with the retarded" yes she said this only to call herself a counselor. When I would call to talk with the principal she was never available calls always going to her voice-mail. And when I talked to her about looking into Touch-Math at that time, she's writing it down like it meant something, never hearing anything back from her or the special ed teacher. Then soon as word gets around that I would be Hs'ing my kids, oh can you believe it? My phone was ringing of the hook.

I'm sorry this post is so long, but I needed to get this off my chest and know that I am doing the right thing. I want to be the type of homeschooling mom where we can look back and say "we did it". I don't want to be average. I want to engage my kids in everything I can but right now I am running into blocks because I feel isolated and it seems no one wants to help. I'm not sure if it's because they feel that I am African American or what. I say this because yesterday I called a family in town, the number was giving to me by the HS Coordinator and she said this person should be able to help me. Well her husband answered the phone and said he would send out some info to me and I have yet to receive it, this is day 3. Why? Do you think when he heard my voice over the phone and noticed I was African American he ceased to provide info or am I just over -exaggerating? I am in the deep south if you know what I mean and that type of stuff still goes on believe it or not.

Maybe I should just give up and place my kids back in the school system and settle for "it is what it is".

Edited by orangejello

Here are a few thoughts -

Many people get a similar run-around from the public schools regarding services. It sounds like you did a good job sticking to your guns and getting the speech therapy that your ds needs.

I would not put my kids back in the system and settle.

How old are your children?

11.5 and 9.5

But I feel so in between . If I continue on this journey I don't want to look back and say I did them injustice and they will not be able to go to college or something of that nature. I want to continue but I wonder will it be good for them in the long run . I hear of different one's kids getting to go to great colleges and things and I am wondering will we master what is needed to get them there. Even though I have one child who can learn but slowly and one who is having problems like in reading comp.

Likely you could use a support group for hsers. I do not know what the community you live in is like with regard to support groups but I know we had a local woman who simply helps families transition into hsing regardless of why they are doing so etc I mention this as she is an amazing woman who only cared about getting me over the beginning hills of hsing. She did not ask my religion, what my background was just simply wanted to be of service to those just starting their hs journey. Also HLSDA has a wonderful way to check your state laws regardign hsing and what services you can access. Nice to have that in your hand for the next go round with Ms Difficult and Rude.:lol:With regrad to HLSDA I do not, for the record ,agree with their politics, religion or worldview but they have reliable information regarding legal infor for homeschooling families. I do not mean to gloss over your more pressing and painful query. I do not know what to say. There are those in any part of the country but certainly moreso in the deep south that for whatever reason react to what they perceive as an African American voice. This has been borne out over and over in sociological and legal studies . It happens all the time. I am dear friends with our city civil rights commission attorney on the board and I hate to say it happens in Iowa but the target group is Latino. I hope it is just a problem with hsers issue which is still unacceptable but to consider race as an issue concerning whether or not you should home educate is not new to me nor am I shocked. I simply have nothing else to share on that matter except it is illegal, I am saddened to hear it is still going on but as I said not shocking to me. Here is HLSDA online to see if your state mandates services to their hsers it helps to have a copy and carry it with you to meetings with these charming individuals. link here http://www.hslda.org/legislation/state/default.asp

On a personal note, Hello my name is Elizabeth and I am a home educator to one dd . Pleased you found you way here as this is a great group of people from all over the world. Welcome to you.

The schools have great interest in keeping kids on the rolls. The more kids they have the more money they get. Don't worry about what the school administrators say.

I personally know lots of families that are homeschooling and all of them are white. I have read that more African Americans are starting to homeschool at least in areas where the schools are exceptionally bad.

I want to highly encourage you to homeschool your child. You have seen that the PS is not working in your case. Do not get discouraged and do not be to hard on yourself as you are adjusting and learning about what works. I believe you will find support in your local homeschooling community. You have something in common with them...wanting to give your child the best education that you can.

When I mentioned to my mother that I thought my ds was possibly dyslexic I got an e-mail from my sister stating I should put him back into public school so that they could fix the issue. :001_huh: Not quite. I think there is a knee-jerk reaction in some people that the public schools are the best places to fix learning issues. I don't believe that is correct.

If you haven't already checked out the special needs board, there is a wealth of information, probably some from families that have dealt with a similar situation.

Welcome to the boards. :grouphug:

I will write more later... but I want to say right now that life outside of PS is lovely. A mixed age environment (life) is much better for socialization than the classroom.

Be confident and enjoy your time with your kiddos. :001_smile:

Likely you could use a support group for hsers. I do not know what the community you live in is like with regard to support groups but I know we had a local woman who simply helps families transition into hsing regardless of why they are doing so etc I mention this as she is an amazing woman who only cared about getting me over the beginning hills of hsing. She did not ask my religion, what my background was just simply wanted to be of service to those just starting their hs journey. Also HLSDA has a wonderful way to check your state laws regardign hsing and what services you can access. Nice to have that in your hand for the next go round with Ms Difficult and Rude.:lol:With regrad to HLSDA I do not, for the record ,agree with their politics, religion or worldview but they have reliable information regarding legal infor for homeschooling families. I do not mean to gloss over your more pressing and painful query. I do not know what to say. There are those in any part of the country but certainly moreso in the deep south that for whatever reason react to what they perceive as an African American voice. This has been borne out over and over in sociological and legal studies . It happens all the time. I am dear friends with our city civil rights commission attorney on the board and I hate to say it happens in Iowa but the target group is Latino. I hope it is just a problem with hsers issue which is still unacceptable but to consider race as an issue concerning whether or not you should home educate is not new to me nor am I shocked. I simply have nothing else to share on that matter except it is illegal, I am saddened to hear it is still going on but as I said not shocking to me. Here is HLSDA online to see if your state mandates services to their hsers it helps to have a copy and carry it with you to meetings with these charming individuals. link here http://www.hslda.org/legislation/state/default.asp

On a personal note, Hello my name is Elizabeth and I am a home educator to one dd . Pleased you found you way here as this is a great group of people from all over the world. Welcome to you.

Thanks Elizabeth for your reply and the helpful information. As I am reading your post I am getting lumps in my throat and tears are streaming. What you have said to me has touched me.

My dh is dyslexic as well. He was told that he would never amount to anything and that he would definately never go to college. In spite of staying in ps throughout hs, he now has a BS in physics and a masters in engineering:D His accomplishments had nothing to do with the ps.

That is part of the reason that we will be homeschooling when the time comes.

The schools have great interest in keeping kids on the rolls. The more kids they have the more money they get. Don't worry about what the school administrators say.

I personally know lots of families that are homeschooling and all of them are white. I have read that more African Americans are starting to homeschool at least in areas where the schools are exceptionally bad.

I want to highly encourage you to homeschool your child. You have seen that the PS is not working in your case. Do not get discouraged and do not be to hard on yourself as you are adjusting and learning about what works. I believe you will find support in your local homeschooling community. You have something in common with them...wanting to give your child the best education that you can.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

I just wanted to give you a big :grouphug: and say that I think you did a wonderful job handling that situation! You went to bat for your child and didn't let those nay-sayers win. Hooray!

Think of it as a battle. You won. You protected your child. Those nay-sayers hurled their words like weapons hoping to get through your armor. The battle is over so don't let a few minor wounds fester. Let's heal them up and be ready for the next time you need to protect the fortress.

Good job coming here. We specialize in armor! :lol::lol:

I'm ready to go kick some tail for you!

When I mentioned to my mother that I thought my ds was possibly dyslexic I got an e-mail from my sister stating I should put him back into public school so that they could fix the issue. :001_huh: Not quite. I think there is a knee-jerk reaction in some people that the public schools are the best places to fix learning issues. I don't believe that is correct.

If you haven't already checked out the special needs board, there is a wealth of information, probably some from families that have dealt with a similar situation.

Welcome to the boards. :grouphug:

Your post somewhat makes me think about my sister she has been an educator for the past 20 years and now in the progress of getting her doctoral degree. She was a big mentor to me to go back and get my 4 year degree which I will be finishing very soon then I plan to get my graduate degree. However she lives in a different city and I have yet to tell her that I am hs'ing. All because I do not want to hear her mouth. I know that she will ask me tons of questions with the fussing also. My mother knows and I told her to promise me that she would not tell my oldest sister all because she is an educator in the PS. Its not that I am afraid I just care not to hear her mouth. My mother and younger brother who is 32, he asked me "how are they suppose to receive grades"? My mother ask me things like this as well. I guess they are not use to this type of thing. My brother also ask me well how are they to pass to the next grade and how do you know they are progressing? Then he says "I just want to see what comes out of this". Then he smiles:).

My dh is dyslexic as well. He was told that he would never amount to anything and that he would definately never go to college. In spite of staying in ps throughout hs, he now has a BS in physics and a masters in engineering:D His accomplishments had nothing to do with the ps.

During this meeting with these people I told them that my child was really behind. There respone was "he has a learning disability-math". I replied " My ds can't even add 1+0. Their reply 'You just want him to do enough to live everyday".

Edited by orangejello
Sorry I am typing fast so forgive grammar and punctuation.

I just wanted to give you a big :grouphug: and say that I think you did a wonderful job handling that situation! You went to bat for your child and didn't let those nay-sayers win. Hooray!

Think of it as a battle. You won. You protected your child. Those nay-sayers hurled their words like weapons hoping to get through your armor. The battle is over so don't let a few minor wounds fester. Let's heal them up and be ready for the next time you need to protect the fortress.

Good job coming here. We specialize in armor! :lol::lol:

I'm ready to go kick some tail for you!

Thanks you made me :).

Yes I told during this meeting with these people. I told them that my child was really behind. There respone was "he has a learning disability-math". I replied " My ds can't even add 1+0. Their reply 'You just want him to do enough to live everyday".

That RIGHT THERE is why you can do better! NO WAY! You want him to do all he is CAPABLE of doing!

:grouphug:

I just wanted to say three days is not a long time to wait for info. It could be that your run in at school has left you flustered and anticipating rejection from your homeschool group. I am a minority living in the deep south too and have never experienced anything but kindness and respect from fellow homeschoolers here.

Ironically, I did encounter some homeschoolers in the Chicago suburbs who made some inane remarks about Mexicans, but stopped when I blessed them with my "Are you an idiot?" stare.

Anyway, keep your focus on your love for your children, your resolve to do what's best for them and know that you can do this!

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the school.

Have you looked into any homeschool support groups for African americans? I did find this link to some http://homeschooling.about.com/od/africanamerican/AfricanAmerican_Homeschooling.htm and I know there is a local one in my area (I'm in NJ). Especially being in the deep South you may face some difficulties that are not faced by those of us who are Caucasian and connecting with others who are dealing with the same things (even if just online and not in person) may be helpful.

I wish you the best of luck in homeschooling your children.

Yes I told during this meeting with these people. I told them that my child was really behind. There respone was "he has a learning disability-math". I replied " My ds can't even add 1+0. Their reply 'You just want him to do enough to live everyday".

Which child is this? If you give us some details perhaps we can help direct you to curriculum and resources that will help you.

These are the type of success storys I like to hear.

I do hope that you will find the encouragement you need here.

I have only been on this forum for a couple of weeks, but I have noticed that lots of people here have families that don't agree with homeschooling. I do wish you the best and know that you have my respect for doing what you think is right for your children.

I'm sorry you have had a rough beginning. PS officials have such a superior attitude sometimes and I think the HSLDA information you received from a previous poster will be helpful to you. It takes a little while to get into the swing of things, but I encourage you to keep trying. You know what is best for your child and it sounds like you have the courage to advocate for him to get all that he needs.

I also would say that it probably isn't a race issue in your other situation. I'm a white HSer from Texas and I had trouble getting information at first as well. When I was getting started I just assumed that anyone who homeschooled could give me advice or information. It took me a while to realize that most homeschoolers are just mom's learning as they go. This time of year, this week in particular, is the busiest of the year for us. It may be that the family just hasn't had time to take a breath and get back to you. That would definitely be the case in my home.

I just wanted to give you a :grouphug: to encourage you. You are doing a great job. This board has a lot of wonderful and supportive people, and they have already given you some great advice. Also, as someone else has said, the special needs board is very helpful.

Welcome to the forum and I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with the school.

Have you looked into any homeschool support groups for African americans? I did find this link to some http://homeschooling.about.com/od/africanamerican/AfricanAmerican_Homeschooling.htm and I know there is a local one in my area (I'm in NJ). Especially being in the deep South you may face some difficulties that are not faced by those of us who are Caucasian and connecting with others who are dealing with the same things (even if just online and not in person) may be helpful.

I wish you the best of luck in homeschooling your children.

Well I have joined blackhomeschoolers.ning as well as other groups. I've searched for African Americans here in my town through this group and have not received a response. Basically people should not care what color you are blue, green or striped like the rainbow. However I have yet to make contact here. I know that African American's do exist in homeschooling here. I have asked at the library and hs coordinator but they can't give this info to you nor were they willing to past my info along. they just said they frequent the library at different times.

I'm sorry you have had a rough beginning. PS officials have such a superior attitude sometimes and I think the HSLDA information you received from a previous poster will be helpful to you. It takes a little while to get into the swing of things, but I encourage you to keep trying. You know what is best for your child and it sounds like you have the courage to advocate for him to get all that he needs.

I also would say that it probably isn't a race issue in your other situation. I'm a white HSer from Texas and I had trouble getting information at first as well. When I was getting started I just assumed that anyone who homeschooled could give me advice or information. It took me a while to realize that most homeschoolers are just mom's learning as they go. This time of year, this week in particular, is the busiest of the year for us. It may be that the family just hasn't had time to take a breath and get back to you. That would definitely be the case in my home.

Thanks.

Well I have joined blackhomeschoolers.ning as well as other groups. I've searched for African Americans here in my town through this group and have not received a response. Basically people should not care what color you are blue, green or striped like the rainbow. However I have yet to make contact here. I know that African American's do exist in homeschooling here. I have asked at the library and hs coordinator but they can't give this info to you nor were they willing to past my info along. they just said they frequent the library at different times.

Your local homeschool coordinator is not willing to pass on info? That's kinda crazy. Equally crazy is that you would have to be put into a specific group like that. I agree, it should not matter one WHIT the color of your skin, your hair, your car, etc.

Welcome! :grouphug:

As a former Elementary Schoolteacher -- one of my tasks was coordinating IEP meetings. Schools will give you the run around. Sorry to hear what you were put thru. However, even if you did not have an IEP, they are required by law to do an assessment for any student be it public, private, or homeschooled. You have a valid IEP. They have to comply.

I would second the HSLDA membership -- have them contact the school district -- and once the ps realizes you have legal representation, you'll see the doors open. ;) The speech teacher really sounds WONDERFUL!! (The staff? Meh. :glare:)

YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug:That's crazy that they won't pass on your information. I didn't mean to suggest that general homeschooling groups should not be open to everyone, regardless of race. I just know that I often feel slightly out of the mainstream with homeschooling and the more situation-specific groups I belong to fill a need as well. They offer a different kind of support than what I get from general groups.

I belong to this forum because I am attempting to homeschool my children in a classical method. And, more than any other forum I've been on, there is a diverse, accepting group here. But, as a liberal, agnostic, secular homeschooler who eats junk food, uses a microwave, watches television, and has one child who does well in ps - I occasionally feel a little out of the loop. Noone has made me feel that way, just showing my own insecurities. :tongue_smilie: So, I also belong to groups for secular homeschoolers, NJ homeschoolers, secular NJ homeschoolers, those teaching young children, those using BFSU and those using MEP. All of them serve a different need for me.

Welcome to the boards! :grouphug:

I'm sorry you are going through this with the ps, but is it so very common. As a former ps teacher, I can say there's a "higher-than-though" attitude that only the schools are capable of educating a child and only their methods work. I used to have this attitude, and boy, was I WRONG! Battling them is not easy, but you must persevere for the benefit of your children. Just taking the first step to withdraw them and homeschool is HUGE! Praise yourself for your decision and courage to do that. Love yourself and go easy on yourself... it's very common for new homeschoolers to feel unsure, afraid, inadequate, etc. when beginning because it's such a big step from the norm for many of us. I still sometimes struggle with if I've made the right decision when I feel pressure from "society". I have 2 years under my belt, and it does get easier every year. A veteran homeschooler once told me to take baby steps instead of worrying about my child's entire education all at once (which I'm so great at doing). When I keep this perspective, it's mentally manageable. :)

I hope you can find a local group for support. However, this forum is utterly amazing and supportive if you cannot find many around you immediately. Many times I've come on here and found someone else expressing my angst, asking my questions, providing some humor, and helping to keep me in perspective.

This is an fantastic journey for you and your children! Don't give up and settle... your babies are worth more than that which is what let you to this in the first place. Hang in there. :) :grouphug:

One year at a time. Homeschooling is the right thing for you to do, at least for this year. Get to know your children as learners. Truly knowing their strengths and weaknesses will serve them better, whether they return to ps or not. You all will learn so much.

I pulled my 7th grader out of ps because of academic issues. Read all you can, learn from the members of this board, embrace your decision. YOU WILL BE FINE! And so will your kids.

And just as you found out, even when you are within the school system, you must FIGHT the district for services. That will never change. But...no one will fight for them more than you.

HUGS to you. Spending time on this board will provide more support than you can imagine. For many of us, it's how we get our strength. And we love to return the favor by helping those who need it.

HUGS to you. And welcome. :grouphug:

I want to encourage you to give the homeschool coordinator a few more days and then make a follow-up call or even better, send an email request. I'm the director of a very busy group and while I try very hard to reply quickly to any requests, sometimes co-op related jobs have to wait until the weekend or until a big project is complete. It's also possible her husband simply forgot or misplaced his to-do list. Both of those have certainly happened to me. Please give them another chance!

You can also see if there are any other groups in your area. Quite a few groups have started using www.homeschool-life.com and their website lets you look for groups by state. Attend a class for homeschoolers at a museum, zoo, or science center and ask the other parents what groups and activities in the community their children enjoy. Most moms love to help new homeschoolers locate those types of opportunities.

Sheri

I agree with the posters on learning how your children learn.

I pulled my daughter from school in 2nd grade. She couldn't carry or borrow. She could barely add two numbers together. The school did nothing to assist her and told me to have her memorize them.

After a couple weeks off from school I began to homeschool her. It is 4 years later and she tested 1.5 grades higher in math then the grade she was in.

So...you are doing perfect! Just take it one step at a time, one breath at a time.

It's going to be a wonderful, wild ride!!

One year at a time. Homeschooling is the right thing for you to do, at least for this year. Get to know your children as learners. Truly knowing their strengths and weaknesses will serve them better, whether they return to ps or not. You all will learn so much.

I pulled my 7th grader out of ps because of academic issues. Read all you can, learn from the members of this board, embrace your decision. YOU WILL BE FINE! And so will your kids.

And just as you found out, even when you are within the school system, you must FIGHT the district for services. That will never change. But...no one will fight for them more than you.

HUGS to you. Spending time on this board will provide more support than you can imagine. For many of us, it's how we get our strength. And we love to return the favor by helping those who need it.

:iagree: I admire you for sticking to your guns and "making" the school system follow it's own rules. You are doing a great job, mom! :)

SO sorry your introduction to homeschooling has been so rocky. Believe me when I say NOBODY will do as good of a job educating your child as you will. Only a parent will have the passion to pursue all you will pursue for your kids. The beauty of homeschooling is that you will be able to customize your kids' educations and they will learn more there than in a typical classroom.

So if you have dyslexic child whose reading would hold him back in history and science, you will read to him. What Public school teacher would be able to do that?

As far as the local homeschooling group...you are probably right that there are not many african americans there, but I doubt it is because of discrimination. The homeschooler's in my area (and I live in the South too) are welcoming to ANYONE even if they are pink with purple polka dots. The leadership of these groups are many times over committed and it takes a week or two to get all their ducks in a row. Additionally, sometimes the person in charge is not very organized; I'd wait a week and see what happens. Then I'd call back and tell them that you didn't want to be a bother, but you were wondering what happened...maybe the message got lost or something.

I know the situation with the school has been upsetting, but go into the support group thing with a cheerful, positive attitude and you may be surprised at how things go!

:iagree: Exactly, except that I pulled my 7th grader from private school. We'd already pulled her from ps after 4th grade. She was getting further and further behind. She needed her confidence built up. She needed to know she can learn and do well in academics. I had moments of doubt through this year, but I've seen her grow and learn, and be so much more comfortable in herself.

FWIW, my dh's family are in the deep south, and had talked negatively about about hs until Tim Tebow showed up at Florida. They're huge college football fans. Haven't heard a word on the subject since! :D

I just wanted to suggest that you could check the networking board here and see if there is anyone from this forum in your area. The more experienced homeschoolers you get to know, the more you will know of what resources are in your area. If you are in Austin, TX I could hook you up!

11.5 and 9.5

But I feel so in between . If I continue on this journey I don't want to look back and say I did them injustice and they will not be able to go to college or something of that nature. I want to continue but I wonder will it be good for them in the long run . I hear of different one's kids getting to go to great colleges and things and I am wondering will we master what is needed to get them there. Even though I have one child who can learn but slowly and one who is having problems like in reading comp.

I have loved homeschooling all ages, but I especially appreciated that I could homeschool during middle school.

You can meet your children just where they are.

I'm going to PM you :grouphug:

Welcome to the Boards! I am sorry you haven't been treated well and hopefully your package is in the mail.

Wanda Gilbert is an African American Homeschool speaker, as is Voddie Baucham. I have enjoyed seeing both of them at conferences. You might want to look them up on the internet and be encouraged that you are not alone.

Don't doubt your decision. There is plenty of support out there for homeschooling kids with LDs. LearningAbledKids is a Yahoo Group for that with a great website of info also. Others suggested HSLDA and their Special Needs info on their website. Dianne Craft also has some good reading materials free on her website.

Love on your kids this first year home and enjoy one another. You'll be glad you did. Blessings on your journey.

welcome to the group! I hope you find a local group soon, it might take time, but you will find them.

I homeschool a friends's son who has a learning disability and has an IEP, at first, just putting together the IEP when he was in ps, was really a fight-the school did not offer much in services at first. My friend had to hire a special education advocate to go with her to the meetings and push, because he knew the laws and what services were out there- having the advocate made the district really increase the amount of pull out services they were willing to do, took it to an acceptable (we thought) level. I would suggest you search for one in your area, maybe join a forum such as the one here, or one for your state for special needs students and ask around. I hope I am using the right term..it's been a few years since this all happened. As it turned out, even with the extra hours, the boy regressed-we don't really know what they were doing with him..so my friend finally just pulled him out. He is doing much better at home with me.

take a big breath, it feels so radical what you are doing, but there are many of parents walking shoulder to shoulder with you. Once you get used to thinking outside the box, it won't feel so crazy/scary.

Welcome to the boards! I am convinced that there is nothing that can't be answered by the Hive! :)

I also want to say that I am from Louisiana (NW) so I'm pretty southern! :P I am a member of several homeschool groups. The homeschoolers in our area are very accepting, regardless of race. That being said, I only know of one African American homeschooling family and they are military. The sad reality is that homeschooling is not a concept that is promoted within the southern African American community. My one and only regret with homeschooling is that my children are not spending a great deal of time with minorities the way they were in public school. I don't want them to grow up in an "all white" world. We do have quite a few Hispanic homeschoolers in our area, as well as other nationalities. Please hang in there! The homeschooling world needs you! And don't forget that no one cares as much about your child's education as you do. Therefore, you are the most qualified person to teach your child.

J

Welcome to the boards! I am convinced that there is nothing that can't be answered by the Hive! :)

I also want to say that I am from Louisiana (NW) so I'm pretty southern! :P I am a member of several homeschool groups. The homeschoolers in our area are very accepting, regardless of race. That being said, I only know of one African American homeschooling family and they are military. The sad reality is that homeschooling is not a concept that is promoted within the southern African American community. My one and only regret with homeschooling is that my children are not spending a great deal of time with minorities the way they were in public school. I don't want them to grow up in an "all white" world. We do have quite a few Hispanic homeschoolers in our area, as well as other nationalities. Please hang in there! The homeschooling world needs you! And don't forget that no one cares as much about your child's education as you do. Therefore, you are the most qualified person to teach your child.

J

Just had to say your siggy made me laugh out loud:lol:

Basically people should not care what color you are blue, green or striped like the rainbow. However I have yet to make contact here.

I don't know where you are located, but I can tell you of our experience trying to find a place to plug in when we moved to a new city. It took MONTHS to do so!

We are a mixed couple, and, honestly, I don't think that had anything to do with skin color. It was a matter of finding the right group of people in the right place. Check out yahoo groups and see if there is a web group in your area. Then look to see what activities are going on and join in if you can. I know we were awfully lonely for a matter of months because we arrived in our new city in May and nothing started up until September—and I couldn't track down the right sites to tell me when things were happening.

I would ask around and see if there are co-ops in your area. I think there is a state homeschooling association in each of the fifty states. Call HSLDA and see if they can put you in touch with anyone. Call museums, zoos and science centers, see if they have homeschool programs. Attend library programs and look to see if you can find folks who homeschool. We tend to be absorbed in our kids, walking around with blinders on, but if you can find some activities you enjoy that other homeschoolers enjoy, too, you'll likely make a few friends.

Hang in there, it can be rough going at first!

Susan

It was written to encourage someone else-I'll try to reproduce it here. The woman's daughter had been very developmentally delayed and spent 8 years in a dedicated ps special ed classroom. Her older child, a son, was an academic star and had gone to the Naval Academy, was in an engineer. etc. So she took her very discouraged daughter out of school and started trying different curricula, mostly first grade level, to find what worked.

Within 18 months, her daughter was caught up to grade level!! They kept working through high school, she actually did well on the SAT and went to Brown University and studied archaeology. She's already graduated. She just needed to learn in a way that was different from how she was trying to learn in ps.

So many children who struggle in school have learning disabilities that might be better handled in a different way. When a child is not in school, you are much more free to teach orally, use manipulatives, do more hands on learning, and go at their pace, whatever that is. Check out the special needs board, give your children the summer to just relax, learn through their curiosity, and start fresh in the fall.

As far as unsupportive family, they almost always come around. The proof is in the pudding, and when they see how homeschooling has worked, they will come around. Hang in there!

Thanks. I am feeling better now since time has went by. Yes Dianne Craft actually gave me a personal phone call a couple of months back, and she was very helpful with information. Thanks to you also for giving me some good resources to go off of.

Welcome to the Boards! I am sorry you haven't been treated well and hopefully your package is in the mail.

Wanda Gilbert is an African American Homeschool speaker, as is Voddie Baucham. I have enjoyed seeing both of them at conferences. You might want to look them up on the internet and be encouraged that you are not alone.

Don't doubt your decision. There is plenty of support out there for homeschooling kids with LDs. LearningAbledKids is a Yahoo Group for that with a great website of info also. Others suggested HSLDA and their Special Needs info on their website. Dianne Craft also has some good reading materials free on her website.

Love on your kids this first year home and enjoy one another. You'll be glad you did. Blessings on your journey.

J

Amen.:001_smile:

welcome to the group! I hope you find a local group soon, it might take time, but you will find them.

I homeschool a friends's son who has a learning disability and has an IEP, at first, just putting together the IEP when he was in ps, was really a fight-the school did not offer much in services at first. My friend had to hire a special education advocate to go with her to the meetings and push, because he knew the laws and what services were out there- having the advocate made the district really increase the amount of pull out services they were willing to do, took it to an acceptable (we thought) level. I would suggest you search for one in your area, maybe join a forum such as the one here, or one for your state for special needs students and ask around. I hope I am using the right term..it's been a few years since this all happened. As it turned out, even with the extra hours, the boy regressed-we don't really know what they were doing with him..so my friend finally just pulled him out. He is doing much better at home with me.

take a big breath, it feels so radical what you are doing, but there are many of parents walking shoulder to shoulder with you. Once you get used to thinking outside the box, it won't feel so crazy/scary.

It does seem scary,crazy and :confused:confusing at times. I have moments where I wonder if indeed I'm doing the right thing.