Menu

In need of ways to get carb addiction out of here!!

but there is no way to give up carbs in this house! What is the compromise? DD (9) is very much a carboholic like me and our chubby butts tell the tale! What can I do to start weaning us? I am interested in getting a grain mill to use "real" flour. Would that help? I just have no idea where to start!:confused:

but there is no way to give up carbs in this house! What is the compromise? DD (9) is very much a carboholic like me and our chubby butts tell the tale! What can I do to start weaning us? I am interested in getting a grain mill to use "real" flour. Would that help? I just have no idea where to start!:confused:

The grain mill will (I'm guessing) grind grain. Grain is basically starch. Starch=carbohydrates. I think you're just going to get nice, hand-ground carbs.

The trick is to get rid of anything white.

Flour? White. (Yes, even whole wheat.)

Sugar? Whiteissimo.

Rice? White.

Pasta? White.

Juices? White because of the sugar. Fructose is sugar.

Why "no way"? When you go to the store, just don't get those things. Cook without them and don't have them in the house. It's a lot easier when you just don't purchase them in the first place.

I'm the only carb addict in my house.

A loaf of bread sits in our freezer for weeks/months. No one eats it but me or I use it when I am making meatballs. My son does not even like bagels :confused:

There are endless lunches that do not involve bread/starch. Dinner does not have to include a starch.

I think you should start with baby steps before making any big changes. If you are eating carbs 3 meals a day then cut down to 2X/day for a week or two and then 1X/day for the next several weeks.

I think you should start with baby steps before making any big changes. If you are eating carbs 3 meals a day then cut down to 2X/day for a week or two and then 1X/day for the next several weeks.

I would have to disagree with that approach. Maybe it works for some, but to be honest, I can't imagine how. Maybe we mean different things on what we call carbs?

I would suggest the OP learns to judge a serving size of carbs. Find out how many serves she and her daughter should be eating per day, and spread them out evenly over the three main meals and three snacks of the day. That will keep your blood sugar levels regular and there is nothing like low blood sugar to make you feel like a few rounds of toast! If it helps, serve your carbs on a separate plate to the rest of your meal. If you are used to piling your plate, cutting down to the recommended serving sizes will look rather depressing on a large plate. Put them on a bread and butter plate, eat them first, then move onto a big plate of salad and whatever you are having. Salad is good. It's getting cold here so I've gone off it a bit and my skin is suffering. Two big zits in the same week, and I hadn't had any for months and months. Since, coincidentally, the last time I went off salad :glare:

A grain grinder may or may not be a good idea. It depends what you will use it for. If it is going to encourage you to bake and bake and bake, it's a bad idea! If it is going to make you feel guilty for buying snacky things from the shops because you really ought to be making your own with your spiffy and expensive grain mill, then it is probably a good idea!

The trick is to get rid of anything white.

Flour? White. (Yes, even whole wheat.)

That rule applies to wholewheat flour from the shop, because it is white flour with a bit of extra bran thrown in. Ground at home whole wheat is not the same beast. It actually has some vitamins!

Rosie

I reduced carbs by planning my meals more carefully. In the past, I used rice/pasta/bread/potatoes to fill our plates. Now I use salad and other vegetables and fruit. It takes more planning on my part, just because it's not what I've done for 20+ years.

I also have to plan more for snacks. Cubed cheese, shaved ham and turkey, hard boiled eggs, fruits and veggies. I just don't keep chips, crackers and sweets in the house.

The thing I hadn't realized was how much my craving for sweets was linked to my consumption of other carbs. If I steer clear of bread, etc. I don't miss the brownies, cookies, etc. either.

There are 3 main nutritional groups- carbs, fats and protein. You need all of them. Balance carb intake by upping your HEALTHY fat intake- avocados and olives are good but there are many other sources- and your protein intake. Do you try and go low fat? Low fat people often end up carb addicts- it is endemic in our society because of the low fat movement. Fats make you feel satiated- full- so you stop eating. They are important for the brain, for lots of things.

I agree the trick is also to rid your diet of anything white.

And......most of us carb-addicts will mistake thirst for carb-craving. Try getting a drink of water when you feel like you want to snack.

But for me, I mostly just have to make sure I don't buy the really bad stuff. If it doesn't come home from the grocery store, I do really well not eating it!

I would have to disagree with that approach. Maybe it works for some, but to be honest, I can't imagine how. Maybe we mean different things on what we call carbs?

I would suggest the OP learns to judge a serving size of carbs. Find out how many serves she and her daughter should be eating per day, and spread them out evenly over the three main meals and three snacks of the day. That will keep your blood sugar levels regular and there is nothing like low blood sugar to make you feel like a few rounds of toast! If it helps, serve your carbs on a separate plate to the rest of your meal. If you are used to piling your plate, cutting down to the recommended serving sizes will look rather depressing on a large plate. Put them on a bread and butter plate, eat them first, then move onto a big plate of salad and whatever you are having. Salad is good. It's getting cold here so I've gone off it a bit and my skin is suffering. Two big zits in the same week, and I hadn't had any for months and months. Since, coincidentally, the last time I went off salad :glare:

A grain grinder may or may not be a good idea. It depends what you will use it for. If it is going to encourage you to bake and bake and bake, it's a bad idea! If it is going to make you feel guilty for buying snacky things from the shops because you really ought to be making your own with your spiffy and expensive grain mill, then it is probably a good idea!

:iagree:

That rule applies to wholewheat flour from the shop, because it is white flour with a bit of extra bran thrown in. Ground at home whole wheat is not the same beast. It actually has some vitamins!

Oh, I don't think this is the case over here. My understanding is that it has to have the entire grain if it says "whole grain." If a product, such as bread, just says "wheat," THEN it is white with a little extra thrown in. Store-bought grains just aren't fresh like home-ground.

Oh, I don't think this is the case over here. My understanding is that it has to have the entire grain if it says "whole grain." If a product, such as bread, just says "wheat," THEN it is white with a little extra thrown in. Store-bought grains just aren't fresh like home-ground.

Unless you are buying your flour from the fridge section of the supermarket, your wholemeal flour will either be white with a bit of bran added back, or rancid. The oils in the grain go off in about three days, that's why flour is usually refined the way it is. Not many things can sell well with a shelf life of three days. Whole grain products, in my experience, are white or wholemeal flour with a handful of seeds sprinkled in. Better, but still not that great.

Rosie

We eat a high carb diet. The only trouble we get into is eating oil and dairy. I'm off them now, and back on my oil-free, high carb diet, with lots of potatoes, rice, oatmeal, lentil soup, fruits, vegetables, etc., and feeling great (and losing weight again).

I do think people must have different definitions of carbs. If people mean cookies and white bread, then yeah, I agree that those carbs are not a good idea. But if by "bad" carbs, you mean potatoes and oatmeal, then, well, I guess we just have different ideas about what healthy carbs are.

Edited by jld

I do think people must have different definitions of carbs. If people mean cookies and white bread, then yeah, I agree that those carbs are not a good idea. But if by "bad" carbs, you mean potatoes and oatmeal, then, well, I guess we just have different ideas about what healthy carbs are.

I think it's really a matter of biology and different *bodies*. Whole grain, "healthy" grain based or starchy carbs do not work for some bodies.

back on my oil-free, high carb diet, with lots of potatoes, rice, oatmeals, lentil soup, fruits, vegetables, etc., and feeling great (and losing weight again).

On this diet-style, I would feel awful, likely gain weight (and crave junk) and be a total female dog. I know because that's what I've done on Weight Watchers while eating "healthy" carbs.

Clearly it works for you - and that's my point. ;);)

Me? Meat, eggs, veggies.

I am in the process of trying to beat my carb addiction. A much higher portion of fat in the diet seems to be the key for me, as well as good protein, and good carbs. My clinical nutritionist has me on 27g of protein at each meal, as well as 13g of good carbs. This equals 3 large eggs, or 100g meat, and quite a lot of the lower carb vegetables. And, don't freak out - 3 tablespoons of fat with each meal!! Yes, you read that right! Before you have a heart attack, I'll tell you how I felt while on it strictly. I felt amazing - no more crocodile legs, but smooth skin, no period congestion or even my usual once a month, grumpy day, no headaches, clearer thinking, no pain anywhere (I usually have a little foot pain), and I lost 2.4kg in 2 weeks eating way more than I've eaten in a long time.

And I'll also tell you what made me fall off the wagon.... I needed to have a blood test to check my fasting insulin, which was 9. The Clinical Nutritionist said that carb addiction would disappear, and weight loss would start happening only when my insulin was between 3 and 5. So I stuck religiously to the eating plan for 2 weeks, then had my blood test. Our local bakery makes the most amazing jam&cream donuts, which I used to treat myself to once a week. I promised myself just 1 donut as soon as I finished the blood test, and would then get back on the plan. Well, it's like any other addiction, I guess, where you have one, and it's like you never stopped. That was 2 months ago, and I'm still struggling to get back on track.

The carb addiction is so strong. I am fighting to get back onto it, because I know that within a couple of days of the plan mentioned above, I don't really crave carbs anywhere near as much, and within a week I feel so good that I don't want to see a bad carb again!

So, my suggestion is to bump up the fat, and not to knock it till you try it - I would add butter (real butter) to all my veges, and olive oil dressing to my salads, and leave the fat on the meat. I realize this view flies in the face of all that most dr's suggest, and the 'healthy' food pyramid, but all I know is I feel great when on it.

Feel free to Pm me if you want any more info or meal ideas.

I have always had a terrible sweet tooth and it really affects my moods more than anything. For me, the trick is to stop eating all sweets (by either keeping them out of the house or having my husband hide any treats I've bought for the kids) and to make sure I eat protein at each meal as well as using whole grains when I do eat carbs.

I have recently been on a carb kick that started on Mother's Day with cheesecake. Ever since then, I've really been struggling. So, I finally got fed up enough with myself 2 days ago to just cut out the sugar. Really, I feel so much better already. And what happens after a short time of switching my eating, is that the carb cravings go away and I don't even think about eating anymore.

On the first day or two of quitting carbs, I allow myself to eat whatever I want that does not have a lot of carbs - McD's burger, shrimp, fried chicken, whatever. Once the cravings are gone, I return to my healthier diet. An example of what I eat on a daily basis is: melted cheddar cheese on toasted whole grain toast for breakfast, grilled chicken wrap with salad, avocado & caesar dressing for lunch, some sort of meat with a little bit of rice or potatoes or whatever we're having for dinner and a veggie. If I eat like this, I swear I have no cravings.

Lisa

I think it's really a matter of biology and different *bodies*. Whole grain, "healthy" grain based or starchy carbs do not work for some bodies.

On this diet-style, I would feel awful, likely gain weight (and crave junk) and be a total female dog. I know because that's what I've done on Weight Watchers while eating "healthy" carbs.

Clearly it works for you - and that's my point. ;);)

Me? Meat, eggs, veggies.

Yep, me as well. I did "healthy" whole grains for a good while- 5 yrs or so maybe.

Anyway, I have found I am gluten intolerant, likely dairy intolerant as well(all the kids have been so I abstain while nursing).

I feel the absolute best low carb. Before I thought I had to eat all the time. Now, I know that was just my blood sugar crashing from the carbs so much.

I also realize now I am a happy person I thought I was just a sad person, nope it was the diet. My last 2 pregnancies have been lc(like the gd diet but no gd here- I tend toward hypoglycemia) and were absolutely fabulous- even at 41 wks I felt wonderful- no swelling and bp 90/60(still gained 35 lbs-not like I starved myself). I eat gluten/grain, sugar, soy, and dairy free. I eat lots of grassfed meat, lots of yummy veggies, a good amt of healthy fats and rarely fruits.

South Beach worked well for me. I have fallen back into my unhealthy carb eating again but in those times where I feel the need to break the cycle, this works well. It is hard the first 2 weeks but then you slowly start to reintroduce the good carbs. Best of luck to you!

Shannon in NC

I lost 5 lbs in one week by cutting out white food. Really it was WAY easier than I expected. I eat 3 proteins, 3 fruits, 3 veggies, 1 healthy fat and 2 whole grains each day. This kept my blood sugar level so I didn't crave the carbs. The trick was to start each day with something HEALTHY! If I eat sugary cereal in the morning, all is lost for the rest of the day. So I eat HIGH FIBER cereal for breakfast or eggs and fruit. Then my blood sugar doesn't spend the whole day bouncing around. Instead of crackers, chips or cookies for snacks, I keep baby carrots, grapes, and nuts around.

Be careful of your portion sizes. If you are just wanting to break the carb addiction, then substitute veggies and fruits for those snacky times when you would usually eat crackers, breads, etc.... Then later you can work on the portion sizes and trying to cut back enough to lose weight.

For me, protein and fat are vital to breaking my sweets habit.

Edited by fairfarmhand

Me, too. I have tried Weight Watchers twice, and both times I was miserable, the people around me were miserable, and I gained weight.

Me? Meat, eggs, veggies.

cooking-egg-31.gif

but there is no way to give up carbs in this house! What is the compromise? DD (9) is very much a carboholic like me and our chubby butts tell the tale! What can I do to start weaning us?

IMO, "weaning" is really hard. It's much easier to go cold turkey. The thing about an addiction is that a little is never enough. So you *must* reduce your carb intake and increase your fat intake to the level where your metabolism makes that shift from carb-burning to fat-burning. Once you are in that metabolic state, your appetite in general and your craving for carbs in particular will really decrease.

The three or four days that it takes for your body to make that shift can be rough. But if you're prepared for it, you can handle it. And once you get through it, it's glorious! You will feel fantastic! During that time, drink lots of water, and eat all the fat and protein that you want.

Have you read any low-carb books? They really do help, because they give you information, motivation, and practical advice. My favorite if you are interested in learning about the metabolic chemistry of it all (still at a layperson level) is Life Without Bread by Allan and Lutz. If you're interested in the anthropological side of it then The Primal Blueprint and NeadnerThin are both really good. Haven't read it myself, but my brother highly recommends the original (1970's) Atkins book.

I am interested in getting a grain mill to use "real" flour. Would that help? I just have no idea where to start!:confused:

No, I honestly don't think that would help. Grinding your own grains means you just have freshly ground empty calories instead of factory-ground empty calories. You want to get away from these kinds of foods entirely.

Instead, spend that money stocking your pantry and fridge with the kinds of foods you should be eating: good quality meats, poultry, and fish, organic eggs, full-fat dairy products like cheeses, butter, cream, and nutrient-rich snacks like nuts, olives, and avocados, and lots of fresh veggies and fruits (though don't go overboard on the fruit, and eat the lower sugar ones like strawberries over the sugary ones like bananas).

WRT to your daughter, I've just had the philosophy that my daughter can eat whatever is in the house, so I practice any "restrictions" on her when I am shopping. Stock the house with the kinds of foods you want her to eat, and well, that's what she'll eat! I don't count my dd's carb grams or restrict her in any other way though! I don't want to set up any weird emotional food issues, so I just try to lead by example, and have plenty of nutritious things for her to choose from.

Atkins works great for me.

A classic. :001_smile: I do think that following a specific low-carb "plan", whether it's Atkins, Life Without Bread, Primal, whatever, really does help. At least, that structure really helps me.

Delany, here's a really active low-carb message board that Joanne recommended once: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ You can find out about various approaches to LC there, and get lots of motivation.

A classic. :001_smile: I do think that following a specific low-carb "plan", whether it's Atkins, Life Without Bread, Primal, whatever, really does help. At least, that structure really helps me.

Delany, here's a really active low-carb message board that Joanne recommended once: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ You can find out about various approaches to LC there, and get lots of motivation.

I'd also like to add a brief paean to the pleasures of guilt-free bacon.:D

Item One:

Cold turkey, IMHO is the way to go...Read Dr. Atkins books...

Cold turkey gets results fast (ooops, pun!), be prepared to be miserable for about 48 hrs, moody, dis-jointed, but then, as the excess water drains out and the fat-metabolizing enzymes kick in, burn baby burn!! You will feel much better after 48 hrs or so.

BUT READ THE BOOK...it's not a permanent diet change. Once you stabilize to desired weight you need to reintroduce SOME carbs (for vitamins, fiber, etc). But once you break the addiction, that will become easy. Also, warning - if you have liver issues or had gall-bladder removed, be careful...high protein diet is extra stressful on you.

Item Two:

High Fructose Corn Syrup is the Satan-spawn ingredient in almost all processed food. Purge it from your life!!! I did this and lost an extra 8 lbs!! Replaced store-bought bread with home baked...Got a recipe for "no-knead" bread that does not have any HFCS in it...my wife makes it, and for her to do it, it has to be easy.:D

Good luck, been there!!

I can highly recommend a low glycemic index diet. This doesn't completely cut out carbs, just ones that significantly impact your blood sugar to quickly. We stuck to eating nothing other than items considered low glycemic other than my husband allowed himself 1 serving of ice cream now and then. We were able to eat peanut m&m's as a treat. They are the lowest GI sweets and work great. There is lots of info on the web.

Atkins was to difficult once you come off of it. I always felt like I had to eat every carb in sight because I hadn't had any on Atkins. Kind of defeats the purpose:D

Carbs are our friends (from time to time we go low carb for the sake of a change, and there are stuff we don't eat, but we still eat enough pasta to classify as carb lovers). But fructose is our enemy, so that cuts or severely limits a lot of "bad" carbs.

It's not about carbs themselves, it's about fructose. Fructose is a pure poison (and in the US, they put it EVERYWHERE). I don't get why people continue to overdose themselves with that, it does NO good to your body whatsoever and is connected to just about any disease you can imagine.

I haven't read all the replies. We have serious carb addition here. It is ugly. I've been addicted in the worst way my whole life. I finally got sick of feeling lethargic and wasting so much of my life. I quit sugar and white flour. No more sugar (white OR brown), no more white flour. I still eat white rice and potatoes and whole wheat. I don't eat fried things anymore either because they were the only kinds of potatoes that I would binge on. (french fries or hash browns!)

I HAVE NEVER FELT SO GOOD IN MY WHOLE LIFE!!!

I still crave carbs somewhere deep down. I wish I could eat a Snickers bar right now. But I'm no longer willing to give up my health and this extra energy to have them. I "control" my portions by simply eliminating it from my diet all together. I know that I could never eat a small amount of dessert. It will just never happen. So I don't have any.

The truth is, I've been a binge eather my whole life. So what I eliminated is anything I might binge on. I do still eat yogurt with sugar in it because I've never eaten more then 1 yogurt at a time in my life and I know I won't. I'm just not that interested in it. But..when I really need a sweet pick-me-up, a strawberry yogurt really hits the spot and DOESN'T put me into a carb coma! I eat baked potatoes because I don't over eat them. A small one is fine and I'm satisfied. For some reason, French fries and hash browns are not in that category so I eliminated them.

For dinner, we often have a meat and two vegies or more and no starch. We don't feel the need for it anymore. Or we might have corn or peas. They are starchy.

I've had not desserts and almost no white flour since Jan 1, 2010. Best decision I ever made in my life.

I don't understand the whole "low carb" thing (and I thought it was just another diet fad, but it seems to have stuck around longer than others).... I was always taught that we *need* carbohydrates - the Canada Food Guide recommends 6-8 servings of grains per day (seems to me that used to be called the "breads and cereals group" - now they just call it "grains")....

Carbs are our friends (from time to time we go low carb for the sake of a change, and there are stuff we don't eat, but we still eat enough pasta to classify as carb lovers).

I'm with you. I'd dump the sweets and try a balanced diet, with plenty of fruits, vegetables, beans, and healthy protein sources. Eating whipped cream and sausages all day long doesn't appeal to me as either healthy or delicious.