Menu

Which house would you choose?

Which house?  

1. 1. Which house?

• Large house, limited outdoor playspace, better price
    • Smaller house, tons of outdoor playspace, better neighborhood

ETA: The poll is a little misleading -- both houses are in awesome neighborhoods, but the second house is in a more "desirable" one.

I'm going through some angst right now. Our house sold quickly -- it will close at the end of June. We were ready to finalize our decision on our house on Friday, then another favorite came back on the market, hours before we put pen to paper.

House #1 -- the house itself is the perfect size for us (1969 colonial) -- square footage it's larger and the rooms have a good feel to them. 4 bedrooms upstairs, so each DC gets his/her own room. The master bedroom is on the small side. Plenty of space on the main level in kitchen/lr/dr, plus a separate room that would be perfect for homeschooling/quiet activities/future office for me to work from home. There is a large rec room and a separate room in the basement that could be a dedicated spare bedroom (we often have company), plus room to add a bathroom. There is enough space in the rest of the house that the rec room could be a dedicated kids' area, and I could hang a swing or put in a small climbing wall for great inside playspace. Closet space is smaller, but there is more storage space in the basement. Awesome neighborhood, and we already know a family who lives there -- their children are the same ages as my DC and went to the same preschool together. This would be a real boon esp for my DD. The price point on this house is lower in our range, so we could do the work we'd like right away (new kitchen, maybe a screened in porch). Basic cosmetics like stripping wallpaper and refinishing the floors was done by the seller right before listing. HOWEVER, the street is a hill, and though it's a quiet neighborhood street with little traffic it is not suitable for bike riding. The backyard is smaller (1/4 acre total for the lot), so no long running space for DC. It's also a bit of a hill, especially in one corner, and I don't know if we could put in much of a playset. There is space on the carport pad, esp if we expanded it, so we could put up a basketball hoop, which really is a requirement for DS. But the relative lack of outdoor space is especially a concern for my oldest DS, a sensory seeker who really needs space to move. It would require special effort to take him to parks, etc on a regular basis so he can RUN!! There are a few pools in nearby neighborhood that we could join right away.

House #2 -- the house layout is a little more cramped (1969 5-level split). Right now there are 2 bedrooms on one level, but we could reconvert to the original floorplan so 3 bedrooms on the same level -- all for the kids. The master bedroom is on its own level, but only a few steps away from the children, so that's not a safety concern. There is no space for a 5th bedroom in the basement, so DD would probably get the larger kid's bedroom then need to share with overnight guests. The kitchen/lr/dr are a fair size, but the downstairs rec room is rather small. The attic has been converted to a room and this would probably be dedicated playspace for the kids -- it's nice, but not "runnable" space. There is no space for a dedicated office. The price point is significantly higher, so we could do the basics now (strip wallpaper, paint, refinish the floors), but bigger projects would be put on the back burner. The kitchen is newer, but all the baths are original. We've been told that there are lots of boys who are DS's age, but no girls in the immediate neighborhood who are DD's age. HOWEVER, this house is in a great neighborhood (considered to be "more desirable") where kids could run around and it's a little closer to DH's work (would save about 10 minutes over house #1). It's on over 1/3 acre, and the yard is level -- lots of grassy playspace in front and back. It's on a cul-de-sac and the closest cross street ends in 2 blocks at the neighborhood pool so no through traffic, just some pool traffic in the summer. The pool has a long wait list and it would take about 4 years to get in (no joke). There is a playground and a huge park across the street that's owned by the neighborhood (enclave of about 40 houses) -- acres of space for a ball game, family picnic, or whatever we wanted to do.

We were ready to move on house #1 when house #2 came back on the market (seller took it off when having company for a month). Now I'm really having a hard time figuring this out. Both houses we be great for us in their own way, and both houses have significant limitations. Thoughts? We plan to retire from this house, so no do-overs. ;-)

Edited by Mama2Three

I wanted to say I am sending you good thoughts/prayers to help you reach your decision!

I am terrible at stuff like this b/c I go 'round and 'round and never really am able to make up my mind.

In general, tho', I'd go with the lower priced house. Second, I'd look at space in and out of the house for the kids to spread out.

I can't believe how much more literal space teens take up than little ones! I look at our teeny tiny LR and wonder how all 3 kids and I ever wrestled on the floor!

Good luck!

For our family, I would choose the larger home and better price. In the end, we spend a lot more time in the house than outside. I would really want the extra room for my family. With the lower price, you have more options to improve things you want to and you can make your outside situation a little better (basketball court, etc.). If this is where you plan to settle down forever, then you will not always have children playing in the yard everyday. However, you will have children (and their grandchildren perhaps) coming for visits and holidays, so the more room, the better! :D Good luck to you - I know it's a tough choice!

We were ready to move on house #1 when house #2 came back on the market (seller took it off when having company for a month). Now I'm really having a hard time figuring this out. Both houses we be great for us in their own way, and both houses have significant limitations. Thoughts? We plan to retire from this house, so no do-overs. ;-)

Given your last line, I'd say neither. Can't you keep looking? Neither of these houses sound like the perfect one.

If you force me to vote, I'd probably go with 1. It sounds like the better house for you long term, and since you plan to retire there I'd go with the house I liked best.

Thank you for your replies!!! :)

Where we are searching, housing inventory is relatively low, and out of everything on the market, these are the 2 best choices for us. We could go into some sort of temporary housing, but with 3 young DC, we want to decide now.

I voted for house #1.

Lower price and more room were deciding factors for me.

Now that my kids are getting older they spend much less time in the backyard running around and more time in organized sports.

Town pool is a huge plus for me. I don't know what I would do without our town pool.

Best of luck in deciding!

WE lived in house one and moved to house two. My kids tell me constantly that they preferred house one. I, on the other hand, prefer house two.

That's interesting. I think that I'd prefer house 1 -- it has everything that I need -- but I wonder if the kids would ultimately prefer it, too.

I would definitely go with #1!

Just based on our own experience...when we lived in Maryland, we bought a foreclosure in a very nice neighborhood. Huge house....private playground ... swimming pool....manicured lawns. Many of our neighbors were doctors, lawyers, etc.

Our children were the only ones home during the day -- even during the summer. They were very bored for the 5 years we lived there! Just something to think about!

My uncle had a hilly yard and he took out the dirt and put in a retaining wall. Seemed to triple his backyard. Your kids are young so I'd worry about the lack of bike riding and play space with number 1 the most.

With 40 families around #2, I wonder how there could not be a little girl near your DD's age. The pool waiting list sounds odd. Is the current owner on it where you could take over the spot?

I'm agreeing with Judomom, neither. Temporary housing for a while sounds preferable than settling forever.

I'll give you an example. We bought in the boonies for our county. The market flat lined and now, if we had to, we couldn't add on. Not because we don't have the escarole, but because the market in this town will never support what we have to do to this house to make it livable for our family. Even though we bought in the last low, we didn't even get out the modest amount that we did put in (probably a total of 75k). Now, of we bought the smaller house int he better neighborhood, we could have done whatever we wanted to had we elected to stay.

It IS a home, and there's an emotional thing there, but in the end, it's an investment. Pick the best location your money can buy. We sold our first house (excellent house, excellent street, excellent location) one year after buying it (in a low market) and sold it for a profit. Not much, but that never would have happened anywhere else.

My uncle had a hilly yard and he took out the dirt and put in a retaining wall. Seemed to triple his backyard. Your kids are young so I'd worry about the lack of bike riding and play space with number 1 the most.

With 40 families around #2, I wonder how there could not be a little girl near your DD's age. The pool waiting list sounds odd. Is the current owner on it where you could take over the spot?

I'm agreeing with Judomom, neither. Temporary housing for a while sounds preferable than settling forever.

Just thinking outloud here... a retaining wall wouldn't work with the layout of the yard. I agree about bike riding, there is a path through the woods a few blocks away we could use, but it's not just sending the kids outside by themselves to ride their bikes.

40 families -- what I meant was about 40 houses. According to the president of the neighborhood group, about 10 are original owners. Many others have older children, and 1-2 have very young children. Some don't have any children. There really is a waitlist for the pool. The current homeowner does not have a membership and there is no way to bump to the top of the list, even though the house is only 2 blocks away. That's Northern VA for you.

The problem with waiting to buy is also the probability that interest rates will rise. Right now we could get a fixed rate 30 year loan for under 5%. So if nothing else, we've decided to decide. :)

I would definitely go with #1!

Just based on our own experience...when we lived in Maryland, we bought a foreclosure in a very nice neighborhood. Huge house....private playground ... swimming pool....manicured lawns. Many of our neighbors were doctors, lawyers, etc.

Our children were the only ones home during the day -- even during the summer. They were very bored for the 5 years we lived there! Just something to think about!

Very compelling thought. While the neighborhood has sponsored parties 4x/yr, I don't know how many SAHM moms there are. It is the sort of place where I could see a lot of dual income households.

I voted for number two, but it also depends on your climate: how much of the year and how much of the day will your children be able to run outside?

Laura

My kids are outside to play almost every single day, even if for only a short time. It keeps us all sane. :)

Edited by Mama2Three

I started to vote for #2 and then I read your post, which totally changed my vote to #1. Location is THE most important; but it sounds like #1 is also a good location.

You can't change location (obviously). You CAN change space issues by adding on, but how likely is that? (Not likely with most people.) Along with a "good" location comes better schools, better resale, and families who also place priority in those. Good schools are important to me for several reasons, even though I plan to hs all the way through. In general, I would not even consider other neighborhood children, except that you KNOW the family in house #1. Your kids are so young, and I'm wondering why it would be difficult to get to a park so your ds can run.

But then I re-read your post and don't know. What a blessing to have TWO options!

(We also have a contract on a house that we plan to die in--with smaller kids' rooms and no space for company. But it's a tradeoff--I love the older brick ranch style, formal dining and living rooms, large lot, mature trees, established neighborhood...)

If you really are planning to retire there, I'd go with #2. You aren't going to want to take care of the big house when your family is gone, and you'll have a lot more years of that than of littles. FWIW.

Just as a disclaimer, we live in a tiny place on a lot of land, and the kids are outside all the time. I love it. In the winter, though, it's a challenge.

We also have a contract on a house that we plan to die in--with smaller kids' rooms and no space for company. But it's a tradeoff--I love the older brick ranch style, formal dining and living rooms, large lot, mature trees, established neighborhood...

Sigh... I like all that, too.

If you really are planning to retire there, I'd go with #2. You aren't going to want to take care of the big house when your family is gone, and you'll have a lot more years of that than of littles. FWIW.

Just as a disclaimer, we live in a tiny place on a lot of land, and the kids are outside all the time. I love it. In the winter, though, it's a challenge.

This is a really good point.

I voted for #2 -- the neighborhood and the property sound as if they are better suited for your family.

Please let us know what you decide!

ETA: Northern Virginia! I live in Oakton! PM me - I'm curious as to where you are looking!

Edited by MariannNOVA

Your kids are young. As they grow, you'll want more inside space!

Also, it sounds like house number one has the space to make a sensory room for your ds, so that he can have some inside space to fill his need for sensory seeking/moving. You'll still have to take him out to run sometimes, but if there's somewhere inside for him to be active, it'll be all right.

Ideas: a mini-tramp, stationery bike (depending on his age), a rough-and-tumble area (with padded mats?), a "rock" climbing wall, etc.

HIH,

Lisa

I voted for number 2. It sounds like a place your kids can have a lot of fun. Also, when you retire, you won't want to heat or cool a huge house, and you probably would rather not be on a hill either. The yard, playground, fields, pool (eventually), all sound wonderful! I would put a low bid on number 2 and see what happens. The price may not be so different in the end. They may have taken it off for a visitor, or they may have just been tired of keeping it in show shape and not having offers. Sometimes realtors suggest they take it off the market to get new interest. Just a thought. :)

Your kids are young. As they grow, you'll want more inside space!

Also, it sounds like house number one has the space to make a sensory room for your ds, so that he can have some inside space to fill his need for sensory seeking/moving. You'll still have to take him out to run sometimes, but if there's somewhere inside for him to be active, it'll be all right.

Ideas: a mini-tramp, stationery bike (depending on his age), a rough-and-tumble area (with padded mats?), a "rock" climbing wall, etc.

HIH,

Lisa

Great idea, I've thought about this too. I've always wanted to buy some mats and some of Ikea's inside gross motor toys -- this would definitely help.

Edited by Mama2Three

I voted for number 2. It sounds like a place your kids can have a lot of fun. Also' date=' when you retire, you won't want to heat or cool a huge house, and you probably would rather not be on a hill either. The yard, playground, fields, pool (eventually), all sound wonderful! I would put a low bid on number 2 and see what happens. The price may not be so different in the end. They may have taken it off for a visitor, or they may have just been tired of keeping it in show shape and not having offers. Sometimes realtors suggest they take it off the market to get new interest. Just a thought. :)[/quote']

We already tried a lower bid. The seller came down a little, but won't budge anymore. Listing agent isn't being helpful either, telling her that her square footage is more than it really is (he is counting a very large crawl space in the sf). We can afford it, but it will stretch our budget more than the first property, and we would need a 30-year loan instead of a 20-year, which aligns better with DH's retirement plans.

Since you intend to live here until your older which home would be best for older folks, which has fewer stairs. Knees are one of the first things to give out.

Both homes have many stairs, but you would need to walk them more often in house #2 because it's a split level.

Great idea, I've thought about this too. I've always wanted to buy some mats and some of Ikea's inside gross motor toys -- this would definitely help.

We built a mini gym in our basement, with things like a big IKEA mat, big foam blocks, mini trampoline, etc. But the most used item was a hammock swing attached to the floor joist in the ceiling with a rotating device from Southpaw OT supplies. All the kids used it and friends LOVED it. We did have to set a timer for the friends as it was too much for kids who weren't used to it.

I voted for #1. I don't think we'd be happy with all the restrictions that usually come along with living in the most desirable neighborhoods.

We already tried a lower bid. The seller came down a little, but won't budge anymore. Listing agent isn't being helpful either, telling her that her square footage is more than it really is (he is counting a very large crawl space in the sf). We can afford it, but it will stretch our budget more than the first property, and we would need a 30-year loan instead of a 20-year, which aligns better with DH's retirement plans.

I'm going to vote for #1. And this is why: 3 years ago we bought our "forever-we're going to retire here- home"..........and the movers will be here in 3 weeks because the company DH works for was purchased by another company that is moving all corporate jobs (DH) 3 states away. (What a run-on sentence!:lol:)

There are no guarantees (unless you are independantly wealthy) that the home you decide on today will be the home that you retire in. :)

Drum roll.....

We picked house #1. Settlement will be at the end of June. We will miss the outside playspace in house #2, but most other factors leaned towards house #1. DH comes from a very large family (one of 7 children), and it will be very nice to have space to host large family get-togethers and overnight guests. Also, something I didn't mention in the poll was that house #1 is in an excellent school district that is more familiar to us, which is important because DS attends ps and we don't plan to be lifelong, exclusive homeschoolers for the other DC. I have friends who are on the PTA boards at the elem and middle schools, and the DH of a good friend is the vice principal of the high school. House #2's schools are also reportedly excellent, but it would have been a little riskier because we don't know anyone attending them. With house #1 DD can have her own room all to herself (high priority for her), and we can create a sensory gym for DS (important for him). House #2 is a little farther away than where we live now and would have felt more like starting over, but with house #1 we will be able to continue at the same preschool for DS2 and karate classes for DD. Logistically the move works better for us because the house #1 is vacant and we can move in right after settlement instead of having to store our stuff (house #2 wanted to rent back for a month). Not that these last factors were the be-all-end-all, but it makes for an easier family transition.

Yea! I'm at peace with the decision and very happy to refocus my attention on the move.

THANK YOU to everyone for your thoughtful insight. I've read and reread everyone's comments and it helped me to focus on what was important to our family.

ETA: The poll is a little misleading -- both houses are in awesome neighborhoods, but the second house is in a more "desirable" one.

I'm going through some angst right now. Our house sold quickly -- it will close at the end of June. We were ready to finalize our decision on our house on Friday, then another favorite came back on the market, hours before we put pen to paper.

House #1 -- the house itself is the perfect size for us (1969 colonial) -- square footage it's larger and the rooms have a good feel to them. 4 bedrooms upstairs, so each DC gets his/her own room. The master bedroom is on the small side. Plenty of space on the main level in kitchen/lr/dr, plus a separate room that would be perfect for homeschooling/quiet activities/future office for me to work from home. There is a large rec room and a separate room in the basement that could be a dedicated spare bedroom (we often have company), plus room to add a bathroom. There is enough space in the rest of the house that the rec room could be a dedicated kids' area, and I could hang a swing or put in a small climbing wall for great inside playspace. Closet space is smaller, but there is more storage space in the basement. Awesome neighborhood, and we already know a family who lives there -- their children are the same ages as my DC and went to the same preschool together. This would be a real boon esp for my DD. The price point on this house is lower in our range, so we could do the work we'd like right away (new kitchen, maybe a screened in porch). Basic cosmetics like stripping wallpaper and refinishing the floors was done by the seller right before listing. HOWEVER, the street is a hill, and though it's a quiet neighborhood street with little traffic it is not suitable for bike riding. The backyard is smaller (1/4 acre total for the lot), so no long running space for DC. It's also a bit of a hill, especially in one corner, and I don't know if we could put in much of a playset. There is space on the carport pad, esp if we expanded it, so we could put up a basketball hoop, which really is a requirement for DS. But the relative lack of outdoor space is especially a concern for my oldest DS, a sensory seeker who really needs space to move. It would require special effort to take him to parks, etc on a regular basis so he can RUN!! There are a few pools in nearby neighborhood that we could join right away.

House #2 -- the house layout is a little more cramped (1969 5-level split). Right now there are 2 bedrooms on one level, but we could reconvert to the original floorplan so 3 bedrooms on the same level -- all for the kids. The master bedroom is on its own level, but only a few steps away from the children, so that's not a safety concern. There is no space for a 5th bedroom in the basement, so DD would probably get the larger kid's bedroom then need to share with overnight guests. The kitchen/lr/dr are a fair size, but the downstairs rec room is rather small. The attic has been converted to a room and this would probably be dedicated playspace for the kids -- it's nice, but not "runnable" space. There is no space for a dedicated office. The price point is significantly higher, so we could do the basics now (strip wallpaper, paint, refinish the floors), but bigger projects would be put on the back burner. The kitchen is newer, but all the baths are original. We've been told that there are lots of boys who are DS's age, but no girls in the immediate neighborhood who are DD's age. HOWEVER, this house is in a great neighborhood (considered to be "more desirable") where kids could run around and it's a little closer to DH's work (would save about 10 minutes over house #1). It's on over 1/3 acre, and the yard is level -- lots of grassy playspace in front and back. It's on a cul-de-sac and the closest cross street ends in 2 blocks at the neighborhood pool so no through traffic, just some pool traffic in the summer. The pool has a long wait list and it would take about 4 years to get in (no joke). There is a playground and a huge park across the street that's owned by the neighborhood (enclave of about 40 houses) -- acres of space for a ball game, family picnic, or whatever we wanted to do.

i could enjoy my big house (which i love) so much better if the neighborhood / play spaces and neighbors were different. 'nuff said.