Menu

S/O: Men dressing modestly, or why I opress my DH

Anyone else have a monochromatic man?

I'm not kidding. He thinks that if he wears khaki pants, a khaki colored shirt is the best thing to "go" with it. I have a sneaking suspicion this comes from his mother, who's very short. I can see her making an offhand comment that she needed to dress in one color to appear taller, and my husband thinking "ding ding ding."

I'm sure his Mom didn't tell him to dress that way! She always sends him wild sweaters that have no matching pants in the universe! (Ha -- maybe that's her way of dealing with monochromatic man! :tongue_smilie: )

LOL, I know MANY women who "oppress" their dh's by telling them how to dress. We won't discuss how my father would pick me up from school wearing jogging shorts, a Polo shirt, dress socks and tennis shoes. :eek:

I get shorts with white socks and black combat boots. :glare:

My husband is an aging punk rocker who somehow gets away with wearing band t-shirts and ripped jeans to his very respectable office job. Then he can't figure out why people new to the office always assume he's a courier or the copy guy. Ummm...

He does clean up nicely (with some direction), but this happens a couple times a year for weddings.

Am I the only one who has a much bigger problem with a mismatched or fashion-impaired man choosing clothing for the KIDS? Imagine my horror after sleeping in one weekend to wake up and discover my lovely husband had taken my 5-year-old to the grocery store wearing red rainboots, knee socks, rainbow-striped shorts and a black Alice Cooper t-shirt, with her unbrushed hair poofed up around her face in a manner VERY reminiscent of Einstein.

(To be totally fair I doubt he CHOSE that outfit, but he didn't censor it either!)

Alas...

My husband is an aging punk rocker who somehow gets away with wearing band t-shirts and ripped jeans to his very respectable office job. Then he can't figure out why people new to the office always assume he's a courier or the copy guy. Ummm...

He does clean up nicely (with some direction), but this happens a couple times a year for weddings.

Am I the only one who has a much bigger problem with a mismatched or fashion-impaired man choosing clothing for the KIDS? Imagine my horror after sleeping in one weekend to wake up and discover my lovely husband had taken my 5-year-old to the grocery store wearing red rainboots, knee socks, rainbow-striped shorts and a black Alice Cooper t-shirt, with her unbrushed hair poofed up around her face in a manner VERY reminiscent of Einstein.

(To be totally fair I doubt he CHOSE that outfit, but he didn't censor it either!)

Alas...

No. No you are not alone. My husband is a "punk" too. He still wears his anarchy t-shirts (that are now see through from wear) and the same leather jacket he's owned since he was 16.

I always told my hubby that I was going to get him a pair of chaps, boots and a cowboy hat. Just that, nothing else. ;) Of course, for public consumption, I suppose we could add some jeans and a flannel shirt. I wouldn't mind a full on kilt worn Scottish style either. Unfortunately, my hubby is neither a cowboy or a scot so I mostly get suits and ties or jeans and polos.

Yes, this is how my husband thinks. I made him get rid of the beige, velour shirts which he wore with khaki pants *because they matched.* He's not short, just fashion-challenged. This can't do because he's Italian, and Italians are always supposed to look good.

Yep. Love that look. I also love, love, love a flannel shirt on my man. Today I noticed that he was mending fence in an old favourite but it was all unbuttoned. Very nice look, but I wondered why (because I've never seen him go unbuttoned before). So I asked him why and he glared at me at said, "well it's my favourite old blue-y and the last time I wore it you ripped all the buttons off!"

Oops. :D

:lol: I appreciate what you're saying! My dh can really carry the look Paula's talking about but flannel shirts and him get me every time!

My dh used to be a college prof before he changed jobs to be a rocket scientist. He's still very absent minded (I know, this is not encouraging, is it?) He will wear the same darn shirts again and again - as in it's Tuesday so it's the ancient green plaid shirt with the really worn out jeans. He has a nice assortment of shirts I've found to update his "look" not that we're in LA, but he doesn't wear them! I finally realized that his old fav's are like his armor or something - his "identity"! So I gave up, the other guys look sharp, but not my man. He looks ready to mow the lawn in his worn out jeans and ragged shirt. I have to watch he doesn't put on the same shirts the next day if I wash. He's drawn like a magnet to the same ones!

I'm not kidding. He thinks that if he wears khaki pants, a khaki colored shirt is the best thing to "go" with it. :tongue_smilie: )

Yep, my guy would do this too. We have a secret code word for this when I want him to change. All I have to say is "oatmeal" and he changes.

A week or two back he wore a olive green shirt with olive green pants and he looked like a green bean.

No Scottish blood in either of us, but my hubby has two double wardrobes full of his clothes- I have one kid's wardrobe. He collects clothes big time, and he wears them well. I sometimes give an opinion on colour combinations or something like that if asked, but I have never felt the need to dress my husband at all.

Peela, I've said before that our husbands are very much alike and this confirms it! I have to admit to some :cursing: that 2/3 of our clothing budget is used by dh for his clothes! (There was a fashion show at a local mall and my dh joined the line of models and strutted down the run-way just for fun. Our kids were horrified!)

Yep. Love that look. I also love, love, love a flannel shirt on my man. Today I noticed that he was mending fence in an old favourite but it was all unbuttoned. Very nice look, but I wondered why (because I've never seen him go unbuttoned before). So I asked him why and he glared at me at said, "well it's my favourite old blue-y and the last time I wore it you ripped all the buttons off!"

Oops. :D

:lol: I can totally see that happening with us!

Wolf can dress himself totally fine...Be it jeans or a full suit, he looks yummy...especially if I can convince him to leave his hair tousled just out of the shower mischievous boy look instead of brushing it. :drool5::svengo:

My problem is, he cannot dress the Littles. His standard is, "Is it clean enough?' I've threatened to get signs that say, "My Daddy Dressed Me" for the kids when he takes them out.

Ah. But there is a difference between trying to regulate modesty thru dress, and correcting fashion horrors like color-blindness, plumbers' cleavage, and black dress socks with sneakers.
How about black socks with sandals?!;) Yup, that was mine. He's now reformed and can dress himself very well. It took many years though.

My "middle-aged scot" has lost a good bit of weight (since his heart attack 3 years ago). Also I'll note he's an academic\doctor. We decided not to spend on dry cleaners\shirt laundry, so it's cotton khakis, button-downs and ties for him. One day I was apologizing for not being more wifely and pressing all of his work clothes, and he quipped that he couldn't allow it, it might spoil the effect he's trying to achieve: the "Rumpled Professor" look. Thank goodness the man is good natured!

When I woke up this morning I realized I have to come clean.

I still have a pair of tight leopard print pants in my closet. I only wear them at home, and now-a-days I wear them with a black t-shirt (instead of a black sequined tank top as in past days). I don't think I'll ever be able to throw them out!

:auto:

This thread is just cracking me up. Dh need a little "oppressing" but mostly, I respect his very conservative Lands End and Eddie Bauer esthetic which is morphing into the "Dad" jeans, but draw the line at mismatched colors.

My dad, was another story. He was notoriously bad about clothes. If he wasn't wearing suits for work (carefully selected by my mom) he would put together some seriously misguided fashion choices. If it wasn't horribly clashing colors, he would come out wearing what he jokingly called his "Sunday goin' to meetin'" clothes, which consisted of holEy jeans and a paint-stained sweatshirt. My mom would get her ire up and exasperatedly order him to change. I used to get annoyed with my parents for just one more example of bickering. One day, my dad came out of the bedroom in one of his "classic outfits" and, as expected, Mom yelled at him to change. Well, as I saw my dad turn the corner, his shoulders were shaking with laughter and he winked at me. He had been doing this on purpose for the better part of 40 years, just to get a rise out of my mom.

When my mom was in the hospital taking her last breaths, I had to surpress a laugh at an absurd image that popped into my head. I was picturing Mom going toward heaven and Dad was there to meet her wearing, you guessed it, his "Sunday going to meetin'" clothes and my mom yelling "Don, couldn't you have changed your clothes?"

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
holEy, not holy:)

I forgot to add that I also unashamedly oppress my brothers if I catch them dressed horribly. Picture a cream-coloured dress shirt, green running shorts, white sweat socks and black running shoes.

I don't care if it's laundry day, that is just NOT OKAY. *shudder*

Their future wives will thank me.

Peela, I've said before that our husbands are very much alike and this confirms it! I have to admit to some :cursing: that 2/3 of our clothing budget is used by dh for his clothes! (There was a fashion show at a local mall and my dh joined the line of models and strutted down the run-way just for fun. Our kids were horrified!)

:lol: You should have taped it and offered it up on YOU TUBE!

While dh can dress himself perfectly fine, he wouldn't go this far- I think! :lol:

This thread is just cracking me up. Dh need a little "oppressing" but mostly, I respect his very conservative Lands End and Eddie Bauer esthetic which is morphing into the "Dad" jeans, but draw the line at mismatched colors.

My dad, was another story. He was notoriously bad about clothes. If he wasn't wearing suits for work (carefully selected by my mom) he would put together some seriously misguided fashion choices. If it wasn't horribly clashing colors, he would come out wearing what he jokingly called his "Sunday goin' to meetin'" clothes, which consisted of holEy jeans and a paint-stained sweatshirt. My mom would get her ire up and exasperatedly order him to change. I used to get annoyed with my parents for just one more example of bickering. One day, my dad came out of the bedroom in one of his "classic outfits" and, as expected, Mom yelled at him to change. Well, as I saw my dad turn the corner, his shoulders were shaking with laughter and he winked at me. He had been doing this on purpose for the better part of 40 years, just to get a rise out of my mom.

When my mom was in the hospital taking her last breaths, I had to surpress a laugh at an absurd image that popped into my head. I was picturing Mom going toward heaven and Dad was there to meet her wearing, you guessed it, his "Sunday going to meetin'" clothes and my mom yelling "Don, couldn't you have changed your clothes?"

And I bet your dear mother will be waiting at the pearly gates to catch a glimpse of him before anyone else...but the question is: would she really send him back??? God must have himself a good chuckle.

And I bet your dear mother will be waiting at the pearly gates to catch a glimpse of him before anyone else...but the question is: would she really send him back??? God must have himself a good chuckle.

:tongue_smilie: Actually Dad passed away 11 years before Mom, so he was definitely waiting first:). And I am sure God is chuckling at their bickering, more than I ever could.

How about black socks with sandals?!;) Yup, that was mine. He's now reformed and can dress himself very well. It took many years though.[/quote

So black socks with sandals, are not so good, but white tube-shocks basically work anytime? Right? :D

Bill

Now... if you can pass for Japanese, there's not a jury in the world that could convict you for wearing socks with sandals.

:tongue_smilie: Actually Dad passed away 11 years before Mom, so he was definitely waiting first:). And I am sure God is chuckling at their bickering, more than I ever could.

Oh gosh! I am sorry. I knew from your posts that your mom recently passed away and somehow was under the impression that your Dad is still alive.

So, now they are dancing together in eternity without a care about their clothes or anything else. :001_smile:

Am I the only one whose husband has a better fashion sense than I do? (He doesn't have even a touch of Scottish blood. But I do!)

I've never had to dress my dh. I actually like it when he buys me clothes, because he has a knack for knowing what will look good on me.

However, the stories about my dad are legendary. My mom likes to tell the one about when they were dating. They were going to go to a concert and when my mom looked out the window at what he was wearing (I don't remember what it was), she told my grandmother to tell him that she was down with a headache and wouldn't be able to go out. He still shocks me sometimes. I wish he would just let polyester go!

:lol::lol: My dh would definitely do something like that too!

Am I the only one whose husband has a better fashion sense than I do? (He doesn't have even a touch of Scottish blood. But I do!)

Nope, you are not alone ... my dh dresses much better than I do, he cares more about it. I like when he helps me shop. I like to think it's because he is very artistic and can tell when things fit together while I don't have a creative bone in my body. Even the "crafty" things I do, I have to follow a pattern and specific directions, how else could I know how to make something?! LOL :tongue_smilie:

Nope, you are not alone ... my dh dresses much better than I do, he cares more about it. I like when he helps me shop. I like to think it's because he is very artistic and can tell when things fit together while I don't have a creative bone in my body. Even the "crafty" things I do, I have to follow a pattern and specific directions, how else could I know how to make something?! LOL :tongue_smilie:

I definitely do benefit when I take him shopping with me!