Menu

Are your kids planning to go to college by 16 or earlier?

Just out of curiosity and to learn how others have planned, are your accelerated children attending college by 14-16 years old? I know that some kids are eager to go to college even though they are on the younger side, so I was wondering how the parents managed to include all areas of study, SAT and AP prep, etc. For those parents whose children have taken the SATs or APs in their 6-8 grade years, how did you all do it?!?! It seems overwhelming to plan for such a course if the child insists on starting college early.

For those parents whose children did start college at a much younger age, were there any academic difficulties at first, anything that might have made your child reconsider and attend at 18 instead, or anything we as parents should think about as we prepare our kids who would like to go to college earlier?

No...no plans here, but my oldest is 10 and college is a lot less important than LEGO.

Then, there's our 8yo daughter, who came to dh and I tonight and asked, "Mommy, do I have any hope of getting into college?" :001_huh:

Yeah, she'll be a 3rd grader starting Pre-Algebra, can write and illustrate her own stories, has a real knack for history -- and she's worried about college. Maybe I should start to worry about when for her!:glare:

Yeah, she'll be a 3rd grader starting Pre-Algebra, can write and illustrate her own stories, has a real knack for history -- and she's worried about college. Maybe I should start to worry about when for her!:glare:

I have a 3rd grader starting pre-algebra/algebra right now too. Maybe I'm in denial, but I'm keeping him away from full time college as long as possible. I can see we'll need to do some college level classes in high school. I'm going as wide and deep as possible.

Well we are in the trenches, dd is `16 and attending in the fall a semi large University.

But she is determined and focused, I have faith she is ready. I think it depends on the child. Every single one is different.

That's great for her and I agree that it depends on the child. My daughter is 5, and is talking about college, (probably doesn't even know what it really means) but if this still holds true in the coming years, it's overwhelming to think of all she has to learn, maybe not really on her part, but on my part to figure out a schedule and find the material. I had a lot of trouble just deciding on elementary curricula until I found this forum last week.

My son started college early and he had no problems going into the college environment. He did so as a duel enrolled student. As homeschoolers in FL we are able to have the children enroll in college and take as many classes as they want to with free tuition. My son started out with two classes the first semester since he was still in 10th grade. Then he added more as he became comfortable. He stayed 'homeschooled' until I graduated him after his 12th year. The transition from dual enrolled to regular student was a seamless transition. He took the ACT in his 12th year and qualified for a full scholarship. I did have to construct a transcript but since I keep good records that was no problem. Don't let the high school and college thing scare you. It is not that hard to navigate. :001_smile:

so I was wondering how the parents managed to include all areas of study, SAT and AP prep, etc. For those parents whose children have taken the SATs or APs in their 6-8 grade years, how did you all do it?!?! It seems overwhelming to plan for such a course if the child insists on starting college early.

But I think this is absolutely key: If he wants to go to college early, the biggest thing that needs to happen is that HE needs to do a good bit of that planning and managing. Not that I'm leaving him on the curb and wishing him luck, but that this can't be my plan. It has to be his. And to the same extent, finding yourself in a position to consider early college probably comes more from a kid who plows through everything you can give him, rather than planning a schedule. You do the same things now either way -- teach her where she is, at the pace she needs, and see where it takes you.

But I think this is absolutely key: If he wants to go to college early, the biggest thing that needs to happen is that HE needs to do a good bit of that planning and managing. Not that I'm leaving him on the curb and wishing him luck, but that this can't be my plan. It has to be his. And to the same extent, finding yourself in a position to consider early college probably comes more from a kid who plows through everything you can give him, rather than planning a schedule. You do the same things now either way -- teach her where she is, at the pace she needs, and see where it takes you.

She is right, it does take planning, dd only started in eleventh, way too late. Lesson learned. Wont make same mistake w/nbr 2.

Not necessarily plan from kindergarten, but ninth, tenth get goals down and test taking in line.

I have a 3rd grader starting pre-algebra/algebra right now too. Maybe I'm in denial, but I'm keeping him away from full time college as long as possible. I can see we'll need to do some college level classes in high school. I'm going as wide and deep as possible.

Just out of sheer curiosity, did you start math really early, or did your children complete several years of curriculum each school year?

My younger 2 school-age children have an older sibling. They learned by osmosis (or so it seems). I was working on math with my oldest, and the two younger were picking it up. They worked through Abeka K-2 by the time they were in the 1st grade, My dd (8) is finishing up Math 4, starting math 5 now, and assuming things continue, will begin Pre-Algebra A next winter.

My younger son is on a similiar trajectory -- but hasn't mastered his multiplication and division facts yet (he has finally hit the "I'm frustrated, because I can't do this fast enough spot, and is seriously working on those facts now).

They simply learned things fast, and easily -- didn't need constant repetition and drill and have really retained it all.

In addition to their "regular" math work, they also have Teaching Textbooks. My dd will finish up TT6 this summer. My ds will finish up TT5 this summer...I am just praying he doesn't do 5 and 6, or he will "catch up" to dd rather quickly.

Just out of sheer curiosity, did you start math really early, or did your children complete several years of curriculum each school year?

My daughter is almost 5, but I wasn't planning to teach addition until 6. However, since I thought I would give addition a chance, just to have something other than Latin to study, we progressed quickly to multiplication and now division, all in several months. I think every kid has the potential to learn quickly if taught correctly and, just from my limited experience with one child, children seem eager to learn so why not see what they can do. However, I'm going to slow her down after division and go through Miquon for those 4 basic arithmetic operations one more time, before moving to fractions and decimals, or whatever is the next stage of math. We were using Singapore Math 1 until I thought I should go a little deeper with carryover addition and borrowing subtraction, so we went off track. I used Kumon for practice. I'm also tempted to buy Saxon 2, but it's expensive and it's not the kind of money I want to spend if we're going to go off-track again.

It's great that your kids are doing pre-algebra. Any advice or curriculum on getting to this stage of math?

Any advice or curriculum on getting to this stage of math?
DD the Elder (2nd grade) mostly used Singapore text, IP, and CWP through long division in 4A (supplemented with Primary Challenge Math, logic, and puzzle books.) At that point, she did the first two Life of Fred books, and there was no way she was going back to Singapore. I've covered a few gaps here and there, and am having had her go through Mathematics 6 as an introduction to a more formal math approach... a little bit each day as part of warm-up. She's done everything she needs to go into algebra, but I'm not willing to move her on yet. We keep school days short and so far I've been able to find plenty of interesting diversions.

I'd concentrate on getting through a conceptually solid, challenging elementary program. With this foundation, adept kids can skip pre-algebra completely. Singapore Primary Maths will get you there (with the advantage of being easily compressed and having challenging IP and CWP materials available; some skip the workbook completely in favour of the IP books), so will MEP (a program I grow more enamoured of each passing day), and a host of others. Allow self-pacing, and practice facts on the side.

I have a 3rd grader starting pre-alg, algebra.

No - I did not start math early at all. My son went to a play based pre-school and a regular kindergarten and first grade. He understood basic operations conceptually before kinder. He also played with fractions. I never did anything other than have lots of open ended toys around. We did no academics before K.

So after 2 years of a miserable school experience we brought him home to home school. That was 2nd grade and I started with grade level math for him because I didn't want to leave any holes. I have a math degree and am math picky! He started with Singapore PM 2A last fall and is finishing 6B right now and starting LOF Algebra. He is just a really mathy kid. We do like 15-30 minutes maybe averaging 4X a week and this is where we're at now. I actually teach him very little. He does the vast majority on his own. If you met him, you'd probably think he was a regular 3rd grade little goof ball. :001_smile: He is verbally gifted too, but in many ways he's a 3rd grader! He does other math too. Computer games, extra practice, etc.

We're lucky enough to live in an area where we have many choices for early college level classes.

Edited by kck

He started with Singapore PM 2A last fall and is finishing 6B right now and starting LOF Algebra. ! He does other math too. Computer games, extra practice, etc.

We're lucky enough to live in an area where we have many choices for early college level classes.

I don't know if you are already doing this, but I think adding in the CWP and IP books from Singapore would enrich your accelerated 3rd grader's math understanding. These books, particularly the IP, are my favorite part of the Singapore Math program.

I'm not sure for all of them yet. My eldest won't. She not only has almost zero motivation right now, but she won't be mature enough that early based on how she's been her entire life to date.

My second might start CC full time at 16, but I'm leaving the decision partly up to her. She was very motivated one year, got a year ahead, and then decided she'd rather do one grade a year so that she could play, draw and read more. Now that she's zooming through LoF Beginning Algebra, etc, I've asked her if she'd like to go ahead and start high school this fall but not change her registered grade yet in case she wants to play high school sports. She's not sure, but I'm going to have her do SWB's History of the Ancient World instead of doing a year of Canadian history so that she can do high school history and math. She'll learn to write an essay and is now sailing through R&S, so ought to easily have enough by the end of next year to merely review each year. What's changed for her is that she has learned to start her work, focus and get it done most days. If that manages to last through the ages of 13 & 14, then she'll be ready. CC is free for high school students here, at least at this point, so she could save a great deal of money starting at 16. If not, it will be 17.

As for ds, I have no idea yet. He is gifted but is a late bloomer when it comes to academics. He is starting to surge ahead in some areas of school, but not all yet. He'd rather play than get ahead so far except in math.

That said, had I highly motivated dc, things would have gone quite differently so far. Had I been given this choice, I'd have opted to get into university as young as I could. In the end, I lost my motivation by high school, and this is one of the reasons I wanted to homeschool.

Edited by Karin

I don't know if you are already doing this, but I think adding in the CWP and IP books from Singapore would enrich your accelerated 3rd grader's math understanding. These books, particularly the IP, are my favorite part of the Singapore Math program.

Yes - we do a lot of extra problem solving and I have some of the IP books. I'm thinking of having him do Zaccaro Middle School Challenge Math for fun this summer. :)

Mine will also start college a few years early, I'm quite sure. Thankfully, there are a zillion choices within 30 minutes of home. We live in a college-rich area. I won't be sending them anywhere until I'm convinced they can handle school and the school can handle them. :auto:

I have a sneaking suspicion that will we need some university level classes earlier than graduation, but I'm honestly going to try to keep them out of the classroom environment of college until they are age-ready, since it tends to be a R-rated environment. If they are socially mature enough for it, then I might consider it, but otherwise they can just do online or correspondence classes for dual credit.

We're not planning on early college for my ds. He'll be 10 in a few months, so it's still a few years away. Mostly, I think I remember the really young kids at my university and how they weren't mentally or emotionally prepared for college. Of course, this could just be the kids that I ran into and it doesn't mean that every kid isn't prepared for college earlier than 18.

My ds is on the less mature side so I'm thinking (unless something really changes in the next few years) that he'll be home until 18.

A good friend of mine started university at 15.5. After a few bumps, he did really well. He went to PS and did SAT prep on his own at home.

HTH

One thing I have in the back of my mind for my DD is that both DH and I entered college early, but via a program designed for gifted students that provided separate housing and a little more social/emotional support (and supervision), and that clustered us, where possible, into classes, especially in the first 2 years. If DD wants to go to college early, I think I'd prefer such a program to sending her to the local college here-I teach there, and from what I see it seems to be a bit too much of a party/Greek school for me to feel comfortable sending her there-even at age 18!

It's difficult to say. My oldest is 11 and will have enough high school credits to graduate by 15 or so ... he could probably test into community college classes now, but they have a minimum age. He'll likely at least be at the community college by then. He has also talked about going to culinary school or learning some trade at 16-17, then going on to university at 18. He could start university at 15-16. It's still several years away, and he'll have options when we get there, but we don't have a firm idea of what option he might take at that point. Like others, university away before 18 is unlikely, but we're in the same metro area as a major university, and another state school in another city has a program for 16 and 17 year olds where they have their own dorms, special services, etc. ... we may feel comfortable with that when the time comes.

Edited by higginszoo

I have a sneaking suspicion that will we need some university level classes earlier than graduation, but I'm honestly going to try to keep them out of the classroom environment of college until they are age-ready, since it tends to be a R-rated environment. If they are socially mature enough for it, then I might consider it, but otherwise they can just do online or correspondence classes for dual credit.

If we do it, we'll treat it like high school. Our kids will live at home and go to CC for classes only the first two years at least, but when they're 18 if they leave home, we can't legally stop them, can we, so it will be up to them. From what I know first hand of high school, it is often also an R-rated environment, but I'm also going to assess the maturity of each child first.

I'm honestly going to try to keep them out of the classroom environment of college until they are age-ready, since it tends to be a R-rated environment.

I don't know if you would even be interested, but not all colleges are like that. The religious university I attended had a wonderful environment (so much better than my sometimes-R public high school.) Just a thought.

One thing I have in the back of my mind for my DD is that both DH and I entered college early, but via a program designed for gifted students that provided separate housing and a little more social/emotional support (and supervision), and that clustered us, where possible, into classes, especially in the first 2 years. If DD wants to go to college early, I think I'd prefer such a program to sending her to the local college here-I teach there, and from what I see it seems to be a bit too much of a party/Greek school for me to feel comfortable sending her there-even at age 18!

Please tell about the program! I have heard of some for girls but need one for boys.

No - I did not start math early at all. My son went to a play based pre-school and a regular kindergarten and first grade. He understood basic operations conceptually before kinder. He also played with fractions. I never did anything other than have lots of open ended toys around. We did no academics before K.

So after 2 years of a miserable school experience we brought him home to home school. That was 2nd grade and I started with grade level math for him because I didn't want to leave any holes. I have a math degree and am math picky! He started with Singapore PM 2A last fall and is finishing 6B right now and starting LOF Algebra. He is just a really mathy kid. We do like 15-30 minutes maybe averaging 4X a week and this is where we're at now. I actually teach him very little. He does the vast majority on his own. If you met him, you'd probably think he was a regular 3rd grade little goof ball. :001_smile: He is verbally gifted too, but in many ways he's a 3rd grader! He does other math too. Computer games, extra practice, etc.

Sounds like my son :) He LOVES anything to do with math. By the start of kindergarten he had mastered all of his addition, subtraction, multiplication and division... and during his kindergarten year discovered his love for fractions, exponents and square roots :) (he was in Public school at the time, but was "afterschooling" himself by asking me questions and reading books/doing workbooks I picked up at yard sales). I remember him asking to stay after school to "teach" his teacher about compound interest (after his Daddy showed him how his bank account worked). I couldn't slow him down :) He is doing Algebra 1 now in 4th grade.

I don't plan for him to start college until 18... just deeper and wider!

When my daughter was really little, I was sure she was going to end up going to college at 11 (or earlier?) and was freaked out about it. Life changes so much though. Kids gain interests. You expose them to a broader and deeper view. They have interests and goals outside of academics.

So yes, a child starts algebra at 7 and is using college textbooks before they're even a preteen. They might even take a few college classes for fun or interest, have a college mentor, etc as a preteens. And some kids maybe should start college for real at 11 and 13. But most will change a little. That ball of learning energy will change shape a bit, many times getting larger in every directions rather than so incredibly focused as it sometimes is when they are very little.

Just my experience. I can't imagine us waiting til dd was 18 for college. As it was, we only waited because of her illness. But 14-16 seems like a good time for many students to start. Of course, we pay attention to things like the whole child and not going AWAY, but we just have to judge for each child individually. And our views of the student and options will change A LOT over the years. The worried mom of an 8yo 4th grader is much more relaxed as the mother of a 16yo college student :)

Guest melissak

My 13 year old son started university this year and it really has been absolutely painless. He was well prepared and is very socially/emotionally mature and fits in the environment just fine. He started school on time at 5 years but accelerated rather quickly once he got going. There is only so much "broad" you can do before you need to go up and he was ready. He really likes the interaction with the class and professors that he has now, something that was missing before while learning at home and in high school.

Just out of curiosity and to learn how others have planned, are your accelerated children attending college by 14-16 years old? I know that some kids are eager to go to college even though they are on the younger side, so I was wondering how the parents managed to include all areas of study, SAT and AP prep, etc. For those parents whose children have taken the SATs or APs in their 6-8 grade years, how did you all do it?!?! It seems overwhelming to plan for such a course if the child insists on starting college early.

For those parents whose children did start college at a much younger age, were there any academic difficulties at first, anything that might have made your child reconsider and attend at 18 instead, or anything we as parents should think about as we prepare our kids who would like to go to college earlier?

My Ds#1 took SAT in 6th and 8th grade. He did it through a talent search program, he was recommended to take the test through his middle school.

We didn't start homeschooling him until high school (this year). In summer after 8th grade he took CC placement tests and he placed in regular college freshman courses before he started high school.

He is currently taking a CC Computer course as a 9th grader (turned 15 end of April). Academically he is doing well. But he is having some issues due to his age (not enough life experience for some of the discussions in class). Also he is dx with Asperger Syndrome and so he struggles with communicating with his professor when he needs directions clarified. He also has difficulty communicating with his professor when he comes across something that he doesn't understand easily... he likes to work things out on his own until he figures it out -not good when there is a deadline to turn in a major assignment, etc.

Part of the problem with CC courses as a young 14yr old... many courses have high school level prerequisites (geometry to take precalc, 1yr high school chemistry to take Chem 101, etc), etc... and Ds didn't have them.

Also he was only allowed to take one course for his first semester at CC. Next he is only allowed to take two courses a semester until he is 16. And to get into the classes.. he has to have instructor, dept chair, and college administrators permission to take each course and often by the time he is allowed to register.. the courses he wants are full. And some professors will not accept any students under age 16/17. And if a professor says no for any reason... then he can not take the course.

So we are going to hold off until he is 16 (end of April next year) to take more courses at the CC. But he will study AP courses next year for English, Chemistry, US History and take the exams in spring. He will also do Precalculus first semester and then probably Calculus second semester.

My kindergartner, who attended his first "Math Circle" at our local University last Sunday has been going around all week telling anyone who will listen that: I go to UCLA! :lol:

Bill

:lol::lol::lol: Sadly, there aren't any Math Circle groups close enough for us to attend. Sounds like youre kindergartner enjoys it so far!

I have no idea what the long term plan is for my oldest, I have only recently figured out a plan for him for this Fall. :tongue_smilie: We have about 3 more years until he surpasses the level of math I took in school, and I doubt I will be able to learn as quickly as he does, so online programs or college classes will be in our future at some point.

I do have a question, though -- which states allow high school students to take college courses for free? We may be relocating and that would be good to know!

Part of the problem with CC courses as a young 14yr old... many courses have high school level prerequisites (geometry to take precalc, 1yr high school chemistry to take Chem 101, etc), etc... and Ds didn't have them.

Also he was only allowed to take one course for his first semester at CC. Next he is only allowed to take two courses a semester until he is 16. And to get into the classes.. he has to have instructor, dept chair, and college administrators permission to take each course and often by the time he is allowed to register.. the courses he wants are full. And some professors will not accept any students under age 16/17. And if a professor says no for any reason... then he can not take the course.

So we are going to hold off until he is 16 (end of April next year) to take more courses at the CC. But he will study AP courses next year for English, Chemistry, US History and take the exams in spring. He will also do Precalculus first semester and then probably Calculus second semester.

Do community colleges in general only allow 1-2 classes for a student under the age of 16, but allow a full schedule after 16? Also, the permission process sounds tedious. I had read somewhere else that taking too many CC courses would essentially change the status of the student into a college student rather than a high school student taking some college courses, so that when applying to universities, the status of the student changes to that of a CC transferee rather than as a high school applicant. Can anyone verify this or correct me? My impression was that it was not an advantage for the student to take too many CC courses because of how universities viewed the applicant - maybe it's choosier with transferees than high school applicants? Personally we would prefer the CC route to save money, but not to be limited by being a CC student.

Also you mentioned that your son will take AP courses. Will he study subjects at home or take CC classes?

Ds. is 14 and he is taking 3 APs this year. It has been a great experience. I am so glad to challenge him to some extend this way and get credit for it. Since he has completed most of the required highschool courses, APs have been a great way to have him home and still keep him challenged. We might consider college courses in 11th and

12th grades, but if he chooses to there are so many AP courses to choose from that will keep him busy till 12th or higher.

Could be psychic!!!!

:iagree: And since UCLA is such a bargain in-state, I think you should hold him to his decision!

No, you see because he is taking a class their now and has been to a grand total of one session, he "goes to UCLA."

When I picked him up Monday, his kindergarten teacher sort-of waved me over and said quietly: William tells me he goes to UCLA.

I've never know him to be a "sports fan" until this week. Now he walks around singing the UCLA fight song. :lol:

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

No, you see because he is taking a class their now and has been to a grand total of one session, he "goes to UCLA."

When I picked him up Monday, his kindergarten teacher sort-of waved me over and said quietly: William tells me he goes to UCLA.

i've never know him to be a "sports fan" until this week. Now he wals around singing the UCLA fight song. :lol:

Bill

I hope you bought him a UCLA sweatshirt and a cap! :D

i've never know him to be a "sports fan" until this week. Now he wals around singing the UCLA fight song. :lol:

Bill

We spend a lot of time on and around the University of Pittsburgh campus. By the time dd was 5, she had decided that's where she will be going to school, and has since checked to make sure they have her intended major(!), and grabbed a freebie apartment finder magazine to see where she might live. When asked by other kids where she goes to school, she tells them "I'm homeschooled now, and then I'm going to Pitt." :D

We spend a lot of time on and around the University of Pittsburgh campus. By the time dd was 5, she had decided that's where she will be going to school, and has since checked to make sure they have her intended major(!), and grabbed a freebie apartment finder magazine to see where she might live. When asked by other kids where she goes to school, she tells them "I'm homeschooled now, and then I'm going to Pitt." :D

Maybe we should play match-makers :D

Bill