Menu

What is the focus of your homeschool & why? History, Latin, math???

KIN

I'm trying to figure out what my focus is to figure out where I'm going! :) Right now I just want to do it all. I think I can do it all, but I can't make everything the focus. Currently our focus is the 3 R's and music. I'm expecting Latin to take on a greater focus next year as we start LCI, PL hasn't needed much focus. Is it O.K. to not have a history focus in middle school and go with a more Latin/Greek, math, Language Arts, music focus? Talk me though this, ladies & gents!

My focus has always been history.... in the early years, we integrated all of our language arts, geography and science into history. (And we always do math. :001_smile: )

I think our focus has shifted slightly, with a triadic emphasis on history, math, and language arts as it's own subject. We do geography, logic and science as their own seperate subjects, but with less time devoted. Whenever we can integrate, we do, but in the middle grades, this does not happen as often.

Of COURSE you can do this without history being your focus. :) I'd say pick the subject you are most enthuiastic about that you kids also like, and make it your focus. For most people I know, this is the most successful strategy.

Good luck!

Kris

We don't have our curriculum centered on an academic subject. If anything, I am going for *balance* and a liberal arts education. If pressed, I would say the focus of our homeschool is character and habit formation.

I would say our focus is the Trivium and Quadrivium arts. So elementary-high school I'm concerned with Grammar (as an art, symbols connected to information, Latin and Greek to teach this best), Logic-Dialectic, and Rhetoric (Progym), Arithmetic, Music, Geometry (Geography), and Astronomy. Those arts are the tools by which one then can approach the Sciences--humane (history) and natural/physical. The content on which we practice our arts is the literature, poetry, music, and stories of our culture (Christian and Western). You can read where I've learned most of what I believe about how to approach a classical education on the Circe Institute website, http://www.circeinstitute.com and Westminster Academy in Memphis, http://www.wamemphis.com

What this looks like fleshed out, is pretty much what Drew recommends in The Latin-Centered Curriculum. Latin after phonics to master grammar, Progym for early Rhetoric and to integrate more grammar, great literature to practice reading, learn what great writing looks like, and be introduced to ideas we can discuss (practice dialectic) on. Music and arithmetic in early years. Euclid later. History and science (as subjects) are incidental to me until we've mastered at least the trivium arts.

Jami

Our focus is reading, writing and mathematics. Now that does break down into:

Reading--prek-2nd phonics, 3rd to 7th grammar, Latin, spelling, history & literature, 8th+ Latin, history and literature

Writing--prek-2nd penmanship, 3rd + progymnasmata,

Mathematics--math.

At least that is how I would break it down. I see Latin and spelling as a way to further vocabulary and reading ability while history and literature are reading material.:001_smile:

My focus, I guess is really not on a particular subject, but on integrating all the subjects into an intelligent, well-rounded child who will be capable of thinking outside the box and pursuing life-long learning. I'm trying to create thinking individuals who will seek knowledge all their lives.....

So, the type of math I use teaches kids to think methematically; Latin, logic and music help promote intellectual growth and reasoning skills, as does art; tying history, literature and the study of science together over the span of time helps to provide a clearer picture of how society has developed and moved forword, or imploded, stagnated, etc. over time. I hope for the fullest understanding possible for my students. I try to put together programming that will all work together toward that end.

Regena

For the youngest children (0-6 years), we think the focus should be on EXPOSURE. By this we mean a balanced, integrated (where possible), liberal arts curriculum. We balance it by including science, history, world languages, art, music, exercise, work, Bible, church, family, etc. -- this is not cluttered, it is just full and rich and exposes young children to many things for the first time. The first trip to the Zoo! The first run-through of history, the first sounds of another language, the first set of chores, the first sandbox fight, etc. We integrate it by combining music with Bible stories (sing about Joshua's battle), art with science (draw/color a starfish), arithmetic with chores (add up the purchases).

For the next age up (6-12 years), we think the focus should be on MASTERY. By this we mean that children at this level should be held accountable to actually know some content -- yes, drill for skill. Dates, names, events, math tables, songs, poems, Bible books, disciples, 10 commandments, Beatitudes, parts of speech, grammar, declensions, conjugations, classifications, continents, oceans, rocks, etc. At the earlier level there was some memorization (days of the week, months of the year, short poems, colors, shapes, songs), but here is where it can really gear up and become foundational. When I do memory period with those I tutor (all in this age group), I am always amazed at what comes out of their heads, even after all these years of being amazed! Use this to your advantage. Get the information on a tape or CD and let your middlers listen to it over and over again (with headphones, so you don't go nuts).

For the next age up (12-18 years), we are clueless. Not there yet, and it will be a while, but probably the focus would be on WISDOM. So now Student A knows X, Y, and Z -- now what? What will that young person DO with it all? As much as we seem to place the emphasis on the head in the teen years, I really think (and so does my husband, who was a youth pastor for years) that these are years for the heart -- and soul.

For the next age up (18-24), the focus is probably MATURITY. That's about as far as we can see... And even this vision is fuzzy. But I hope it helps. The FOCUS is never the academic subject -- it's what's going on inside your child.

Of course, we aim to cover everything.

Up until recently, our focus was natural sciences in the view of Creation. It stemmed naturally from our oldest child's interests. She is five years older than the next child.

Now that the others are growing into their own skin, we are diversifying. Our second child is a history buff. We cannot provide her with enough reading material. She can interject a pertinent historical tidbit into nearly any conversation. Our third child is very adept at mathematics and has outpaced the next oldest.

It was a lot easier when we focused mainly on just ONE thing! :lol:

We don't have our curriculum centered on an academic subject. If anything, I am going for *balance* and a liberal arts education. If pressed, I would say the focus of our homeschool is character and habit formation.

Everything we do is focused on character building (habit formation) in one way or the other in each subject. I use history as an organizing tool for other subjects but history doesn't drive our homeschool.

Ours is "getting through the day without a major melt-down" focused.

Actually, this has been a hard year for us and I feel like we're just getting the groove, now that I've changed a bunch of things. However, I am in the same boat as the others in this thread who've said they're going for more of a balanced, liberal studies, well-rounded focus.

Just getting one of my kids to focus is a major focus around here.

I try to keep it balanced, but this year so far (our year goes from Feb-Dec) we have had less language arts than any other year, but it has left room for other things.

We have always had a focus on history...in that our literature often relates to it as well.

We have always studied Latin straight after maths first thing in the morning, but it doesn't take up much time per day.

Maths seems to be getting more attention as the kids get older.

This year, I wanted to make sure I wasn't "pushing" my kids so hard...I want our days to be more relaxed, and they are, and we are all much happier for it. SO maybe the focus could be said to be lifestyle...this is our life, and we don't have to do it all in one year. I used to feel we had to do it all NOW, and I no longer feel that. This term we have not done a lot of LA, but next term we might do more...it can all balance out if I let go of the tight control and let different things become the focus at different times. Sounds a bit wishy washy I know, but it doesnt feel like it, it just feels good.

I would agree with this. Well said! But, beyond the 3 R's I would say we have a history bent.

We spend more time on History than anything else -- at least 6-7 hours per week -- mostly read alouds. However, I'd say that our core focus right now is languages: English, Latin, and Spanish.

Our main focus is grammar and math. After reading this quote by C.S. Lewis in Surprised by Joy, I knew I had to develop some priorities and focus our efforts:

"No one has time to do more than a very few things well before he is twenty, and when we force a boy to be a mediocrity in a dozen subjects we destroy his standards, perhaps for life."

Our main focus is grammar and math. After reading this quote by C.S. Lewis in Surprised by Joy, I knew I had to develop some priorities and focus our efforts:

"No one has time to do more than a very few things well before he is twenty, and when we force a boy to be a mediocrity in a dozen subjects we destroy his standards, perhaps for life."

What a great quote! That is exactly how I feel. I don't want ds to be a mile wide and an inch deep. I want to streamline our subjects but go really deeply into them.

I'm a *core* mom also. As an art student we were drilled w/"less is more," now this is my mantra as a hs mom. In reading the Latin Centered Curriculum the "multum non multa" chapter struck an immediate chord. We now use a hybrid Latin Centered/WTM approach. I spend the bulk of our time on language, math & latin. Other subjects are touched on; flexible in frequency but not quality.

Hmmm. After thinking on this, our focus is JCE (Judaic Centered Education)--a spinoff of LCE, as we always begin our day with Jewish Studies & Hebrew. We've always adhered to the "Less is More" mantra well before LCE--which I do adore--coupled with child-led instruction. I do weigh in on mathematics texts and literature, but as stated, I focus on what the dc love to study & build each of their annual individual course of study around their strengths:

Taz: Religion, Science, mathematics

By default, Taz's courses of study always leaned more toward JCE/LCE than TWTM because of his personality--no biology, long literature lists, art history, painting, or music appreciation for him. Period. He excelled in Hebrew & Judaism due to focused study & tutoring over the past 7 years since his conversion. Studied Greek & Roman civilizations & how they affected history over the centuries as an extension of his Judaic studies since both of these civilizations conquered Israel in antiquity.

History of war from Jericho through Iraq--as many wars were & are religious wars, Jewish philosophy, Hebraic, Greek & Roman literature, progymnastma exercises from copywork & dictation 6-8th grades, Composition in the Classical Tradition 10th-12th grades, mythology, religions & history of cultures encontered by the Ancient Israelites & Diasporic Jews through history til now, mathematics, astronomy, physics, and how science does not oppose our religious beliefs. This has been the sum of Taz's 7 years of homeschooling.

Storm: Religion, languages--including English, Mathematics

Language is the core of Storm's day. She may spend up to 3 hours a day on Hebrew, Latin, and Spanish as she tries to sweet talk me into letting her begin yet another language--Japanese. Storm's a language sponge & speaks with a British accent she perfected from English movies & books on CD although neither her father or I are British, nor has Storm ever travelled to the UK. Like Taz, Storm likes studying our religious texts & other culture's mythology/religion stories and as an extention of these studies, we touch on ancient history with little effort on my part. History from 400 C.E. is studied during modern studies one or two days per week. Math, of course is studied daily, and we touch on science through our math studies via Livingmath.net unit studies. We also use Classical Writing & informal grammar instruction since Storm picks up on grammar quickly. Since we use Latin Prep I and Storm sits in on her yonger brother's Lively Latin studies, we learn Roman history every day. Greek history also is studied via Ancient Israel's interactions with Ancient Greece.

Blaze: Religion & you know, boy stuff:

Since Blaze attends school 2-3x a week, our focus is a bit different. We concentrate on religious studies for his conversion, Lively Latin, progymnastama and Math. Because of the programs we use, Blaze is exposed to mainly Jewish, Greek & Roman history history & literature via Lively Latin, Hebrew School, and Livingmath.net. He listens to SOTW in the car.

Our homeschool is a LCC/TWTM mix too. In the beginning I wanted to do everything and move my boys ahead as fast as I could. Now I really look at the subjects I have them do each year. I make sure that our time is well spent, and that they have free time at the end of the day. I've also set out a rough schedule of their schooling through 12th grade. I can see that we will get to most of the courses I want to expose them to, but not all. I've had to make some tough choices because what we do now affects what we can do in the future. However, I'm able to see the big picture, so I feel comfortable with my choices, and I don't feel the need to do everything as I plan for next year.

I've also realized that introducing some material when my boys are young is not the best game plan. I've found that even waiting a year will not only help them to understand the material better, but also to apply that knowledge and build upon it. As I've matured as a homeschool mom, I can see that sometimes waiting is the best option to ensure that my boys are really learning the material I've chosen for them. It's hard at times though. As my boys get older and approach the high school years, I feel more pressure from the responsibility of their education...but I wouldn't change a thing.

I've heard several people say that it's not uncommon for homeschooling parents (especially those who aren't strong in math) to fall behind in math little by little. Waving my hand here...not about falling behind but about not being a math person. Ever since then, I've been vigilant about math. If it's a school day, an entire math lesson gets accomplished. Period. We dropped everything during spring break except math. We'll do very light school over the summer, but of course math will be included. I tend to go overboard on this because of my fear of falling behind. I'm seeing the payoff now, because my oldest ds (8th grade next year) will be taking Algebra next year, which was what I was aiming for.

That being said, I think we're mostly a math and language (English) kinda family. I sympathize with the moms on this morning's Latin post. I've tried twice to do LC and I've quit. Not because it's hard. It's just the straw that breaks the camel's back. I find that I can successfully focus on math and language (reading, writing, italics, spelling, vocabulary, grammar). I even took 2 years of Latin in college. It's not that tough to teach, it just gets in the way of everything else I'm trying to do, and then I feel like I'm not doing anything well.

Anyhow, math and language get priority, but we're also consistent with history and science and a few once a week type activities.

I would say our focus is the Trivium and Quadrivium arts. So elementary-high school I'm concerned with Grammar (as an art, symbols connected to information, Latin and Greek to teach this best), Logic-Dialectic, and Rhetoric (Progym), Arithmetic, Music, Geometry (Geography), and Astronomy. Those arts are the tools by which one then can approach the Sciences--humane (history) and natural/physical. The content on which we practice our arts is the literature, poetry, music, and stories of our culture (Christian and Western). You can read where I've learned most of what I believe about how to approach a classical education on the Circe Institute website, www.circeinstitute.com and Westminster Academy in Memphis, www.wamemphis.com

What this looks like fleshed out, is pretty much what Drew recommends in The Latin-Centered Curriculum. Latin after phonics to master grammar, Progym for early Rhetoric and to integrate more grammar, great literature to practice reading, learn what great writing looks like, and be introduced to ideas we can discuss (practice dialectic) on. Music and arithmetic in early years. Euclid later. History and science (as subjects) are incidental to me until we've mastered at least the trivium arts.

Jami

I was going to post something, but Jami stated my position so much more eloquently than I was going to. I was going to ramble on about skills and how best to attain them and how best to apply them, but I'll just say, "Ditto!"

Our's is reading, writing, and 'rithmatic. After that is music, Spanish, then Latin. My dh and I are more realists. We're more concerned about long term financial stability and I think that's more likely with a focus on the 3 R's. However if a child excels in music, Spanish, or Latin there is definite financial potential in those fields. I think that the child would have to be more of an expert in those areas.

So that's what we do.

While we are not a "Christian only curriculum kind of family" Christ is at the center of how we live. So for us that goes without saying, even though I did say it.

For K, the 3 R's plus a gentle intro to classical and Heathen studies is the focus. Once she starts reading, we'll add in Latin.

Everything else is based on DD's interests or mine. It's likely, for example, that her knowledge of history as we go along will lean disproportionately towards material ecology and towards Heathen and Medieval Europe, thanks to our involvement in the Society for Creative Anachronism and our religion. An upbringing in the Society will likely bias her education in the fine arts, and she will likely learn more about SCA swordsmanship and archery, (well, and baseball thanks to DH), than about most other sports. She will have a better grasp of evolutionary theory in biology, as well as of history and geography, by the time she finishes high school than the average American college grad because ignorance about these topics is a huge pet peeve of mine, and I will not abide it in my child.

If her current love of music and dance continues, that will likely play a significant role in the coming years.

My most important goal is that she have the tools to learn anything she sets her mind to learning, either formally or informally, and a desire to continually expand her skills, knowledge and wisdom.

OK, I am SO buying that book! Thanks, Beth!

In reading the Latin Centered Curriculum the "multum non multa" chapter struck an immediate chord. We now use a hybrid Latin Centered/WTM approach. I spend the bulk of our time on language, math & latin. Other subjects are touched on; flexible in frequency but not quality.

Same here -- but I'm conflicted about adding Spanish to an already over-loaded program at Dei Gratia Classical Academy (thanks for indulging as I use our new homeschool name :))

I'm aiming for a modern approximation of the kind of rhetorical education Quintilian described. For me, that means using classical languages as an organizing principle, emphasizing the study of literature (in the original languages whenever possible), and making correct and fluent writing the key skill.

So far we've been 3 r's focused, with some emphasis on allowing my ds to explore his creative side.

As we move into 5th grade we will have more focus on logic/math/science. He's love science. Today he begged to practice in an algebra book I just got. He's also sees patterns in everything, and is very logical. I think he's part Vulcan. ;)

My plan is to keep the academics well rounded, but look for ways to intergrate those 3 subjects into all other areas.

And this is us. I read DH this quote and he nodded a firm agreement although it's been a while since he read the book. This is our focus (math and English) and has been my biggest struggle with TWTM. I love the rigorous emphasis on the basics (reading, writing, math) but struggle with the extras taking over.

Right now our focus is on:

Math, Reading/Literature, and Bible

I need to add Writing to that focus yet...we are still finding our way here.

I think that at some point as each DC gets older that the focus for each DC may not look the exact same as the next child, but rather, a touch unique to reflect their future plans. KWIM?

We intend to focus our early years on the 3 R's and view history, art, music, science, and languages as enriching areas of study.

One thing I learned from my experience teaching in PS for some years is that life so easily becomes disjointed and fragmented. I want our children to build from a strong foundation of being able to think and express their ideas and teach them to find the interconnectedness of all the various areas of study for the purpose of knowing and glorifying God.

As someone famous on this board once said, "I'm not trying to fill a bucket..." (Jessica)

these years right now we are focusing on the foundations of reading, writing and math facts. We added in world culture and science this year with great success, but figuring out how to learn a little about everything and still keep it fun has been hard. Finding out how to balance academics with activities, field trips and playdates has been hard.

I have considered our long term plan and we do want our children to be well rounded and prepared to attend college. We are adding in new subjects each year. And we are trying an art camp this summer since I haven't made the effort to try the art curriculum I bought last year ;-)

I want them to try a lot of things but they will have more voice in their high school classes to prepare for college/careers. For now, well rounded is the plan.

Character training. Then everything else. But really - it's about raising godly kids who have the initiative and moral compass to see what needs to be done to help others around them, who do it quickly - without expectation of reward or fear of consequence - and then move on to the next thing. TO do this they need to read, write and be academically prepared for what God has for them - but it's about character.

We don't really have a consciously-chosen focus, but I think literature has just naturally permeated our days. I love, love, love to read with my children. From the time dd was an infant and her favorite books were Dinosaur Shapes and Ten Little Ladybugs, reading to her has been one of my favorite daily activities. I remember with great fondness the days when ds was a toddler, dd was a preschooler, and we all took an afternoon nap daily. We would grab a big stack of picture books from our library stash and head to a comfy bed. I'll always recall that Mr. Popper's Penguins was the first real children's novel I read to them, and laugh at the fact that in one year Little House on the Prairie books were magically transformed from the books I read aloud to them when I wanted them to be bored, wait I mean lulled, to sleep into dd's favorite books to read to me.

Sharing literature with my dc, or discovering it for the first time together is exciting and rewarding for me. We usually have a few read-alouds going. Currently, we just finished listening to The Tale of Despereaux on audiobook, we are in the middle of Mary Poppins, and we just started The Hobbit. Dd is reading The Little House on the Prairie to me, The Mouse and the Motorcycle to herself and anything ds will sit through to her little brother. Last night I settled them into bed with a stack of picture books (mostly science or animal-related) for ds, and then dd read some poems to us before insisting on reading a few pages from an Usborne book about the human body that she is reading for science. She has recently found a few poetry books that have really sparked her interest. I love to see it, and hear her read it to me!

Ds has started asking me to re-read books to him immediately upon finishing the first reading. At first it seems a little frustrating, but when I step back and realize how much he enjoys a good book, it delights me. When he was two, he discovered a book by Don and Audrey Wood about a little mouse who is about to eat a big, ripe strawberry, and is tricked into sharing it to avoid the potential of losing it to a "big, hungry bear". He loved that book so much. He woke up one night, apparently after dreaming about it, and couldn't go back to sleep until I retrieved it and read it to him. He counts Olivia as one of his favorite girl names because he fell in love with the picture book about a pig with that name. And he still makes references to his favorite novel so far, E.B. Whites The Trumpet of the Swan, which we read last summer.

So, I guess if I had to pick one thing, I would say our education is literature driven.

We have been focused mainly on the three-R's to this point. I want ds to love to read as much as I do, and I felt he needed to be able to read easily and well to be able to enjoy it. I also wanted him to master the physical aspect of writing before we tackled an actual writing program, so he has done mostly copywork and narration up to this point. He actually does a little creative writing in his free time too. Next year we will be starting a formal writing program. I have WT1 sitting on my shelf.

Math has been the "done daily with no excuses" subject here. I want him well prepared for higher level math.

Everything else has been an enjoyable bonus, but I feel we are ready to crack down with other subjects now that we have cemented the basics. We have been hit or miss with history and science. We dabbled in Latin(PL didn't go over well here). We are starting formal programs for each of these subjects in the fall. I am confident now that we are ready for more.

In terms of how I plan, where I start, the sort of root of everything, I'd have to say it's the combination of history and literature. That's what I start thinking about for each year, what I use to try and tie togetheras much as possible of everything else.

Now, in terms of what we actually spent the most time doing, it's probably a toss-up between history/literature and various kinds of arts.

The funny thing is that my 10-year-old son, the only one I have at home right now, is insistent that he's going to be an engineer.

Go figure.