Menu

Mind if I Toot My Own Horn?

I decorate cakes for my kids as kind of a hobby. Each attempt has been more and more fun. Well, the baby of the family turned 6 today. :001_smile: He is a HUGE Mario Brothers fan so I knew right away that I wanted to take that on. I swiped a few ideas from the net, and threw together a cake that even I was surprised with.

So...I'd like to share with the class. :D

PICT0112.jpg

PICT0113.jpg

I also posted these pics (and more details about the actual cake and the mushroom - made from cereal treats) on my blog.

Thank you all so much for the compliments.

It took about 6 hours to decorate (with breaks and cooking dinner). If you look closely, you will see that the hills are simple arches, that I cut with a pizza roller. The stars are fondant cutters. The clouds were the hardest, and I found a picture online, printed it out, then traced the shape onto the fondant. I used scissors to cut the clouds. The blocks were cut with a pizza cutter too.

I used Wilton's black food coloring and a tiny paintbrush to paint the eyes and the question marks on.

I made modeling chocolate to cover the cakes, and that was the hardest part of decorating the cake because it's so soft. I made the mushroom out of rice krispie treats. I molded the dome of the mushroom into one of my "ball" cake pans, and molded the bottom of the mushroom into one of my small cake pans, then cut it down.

I hope that answers everyone's questions. :)

Wow!!! That cake is incredible!!! I just showed my five and a half year old son that cake and now he wants me to make it for him on his sixth birthday!!!!

I wanted to share the cake that I created for my son on his fifth birthday this past August. My son is a Mario FANATIC, (he was even Mario on Halloween) so I decided to make a Mario cake for him too.

Mine is nothing cool and 3D like yours, but I was pretty proud of it anyway. I freehanded the whole thing from the cover of a Wii game.

I figured since we both enjoy decorating cakes and have sons that loved Mario, you would enjoy me sharing this with you. WAY TO GO ON THAT INCREDIBLE CAKE!!! I may have to just do that for my son this year, even though he told he wanted a Luigi one this year. Now that he has seen yours, he may have changed his mind. : )

Enjoy and have a great day! : )

post-10724-13535083470725_thumb.jpg

Wow!!! That cake is incredible!!! I just showed my five and a half year old son that cake and now he wants me to make it for him on his sixth birthday!!!!

I wanted to share the cake that I created for my son on his fifth birthday this past August. My son is a Mario FANATIC, (he was even Mario on Halloween) so I decided to make a Mario cake for him too.

[ATTACH]2396[/ATTACH]

Wow! That was freehand???? See, I would say you are the talented one. I can't draw anything past stick figures. LOL