Menu

Plans for next year: 2nd grade & Kindergarten.

Kay in Cal

I always enjoy the threads where people post their upcoming plans. I just bought all my books for next year (though they aren't here yet) so here goes and feel free to chime in with yours:

2nd Grade:

SOTW II

Literature--Classics 400-1600 (some read-aloud)

GWG 4

SWO D/E

HWT Printing 2

CW Aesop

Trail Guide to World Geography

Minimus Secundus

MP Famous Men of Rome study

EPGY Math (online)

Explorers Beginnings II Bible

R.E.A.L. Science 1 -- Earth & Space

Drawing with Children

Kindergarten:

Phonics Pathways

HWT K book

Literature: Classic fairy tales (read aloud)

Survey of world cultures (Based on GTG and other resources)

Drawing with Children

Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten mathematics

I will have a 2nd grader this fall and here is the plan:

King James Bible w/Abeka Flash a Cards

Little Visits with God Devotional

Abeka Math 2

Abeka Science 2

First Language Lessons finish 1/begin 2

Writing With Ease finish 1/begin 2

Spelling Workout B

ZB Cursive

Story of the World vol 1 & 2

Plus: 50 Famous Stories Retold, Trial & Triump, Parables From nature, Aesops Fables, Our Young Folks Josephus

I agree that it's fun to share like this!

Here's ours:

Phonics: Tanglewood phonics and Starfall.com, BOB books, games

Math: Funtastic Frogs math, number copywork, games, math-concept storybooks from the library

Latin: Song School Latin

Lit: The Complete Works of Winnie-the-Pooh

Classical studies: Aesop's Fables

Heathen Studies: Havamal verses tied to the morals of the fables.

Geography: Me on the Map

History: SCA participation

Science: Zoo and Science Center trips, gardening

Art: My First Sewing Book and Kit (DD's request to learn to sew)

Music: a beginning recorder curric. I picked out of the RR catalogue

P.E.: Swim lessons in summer, ballet lessons in fall, T-ball next Spring (DD's choices of what's available through the city)

I'm also enrolling her in an enrichment program through the Mesa school district called Eagleridge. It's one day/week of fun kindergarten classroom type stuff (cut and paste, yard games, etc.).

We've actually already begun our phonics, math, lit, classical, and heathen studies. We spend about an hour on it a day, including seatwork and read-alouds cozed up on the couch. I'm setting a precedent of working through the summer because we tend to be busier with non-academic stuff from late Nov (Thanksgiving)-mid February (Estrella War).

I will also have 2nd and Ker next year. We are just switching to WTM methods, so I'm a little off schedule, but I think it will work:

2nd:

Saxon 54

WWE

FLL(2)

SWO B/C

(Still deciding on Zaner-Bloser or HWOT for learning cursive)

Prima Latina

K:

Saxon 1

VP Phonics Museum

Both:

SOTW I

Vos's The Child's Story Bible

Victor's Journey Through the Bible

Life Science with Kingfisher Animal and Human Body Encyclopedia and Green Thumbs:Kid's Activity Guide to Indoor/Outdoor Gardening

Drawing with Children

Susan Hammond's Classical Kids

Oooh, I love reading these too, though I really shouldn't, considering that all our stuff is already purchased and traveling toward us right this minute. I really shouldn't even be considering anything else!!!

Our plans for 1st grade (ish) work, in order of priority:

Burying ourselves in great literature, with the occasional help of Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus

RightStart Math Level B

HWT Printing

SOTW Vol. 1

Language Lessons for the Very Young (will encompass about as much grammar and copywork as we can handle)

Light poetry work using The Harp & Laurel Wreath and other various sources (DD memorizes them practically on the spot when she reads them :ohmy:)

R.E.A.L. Science - Life

Spelling Workout A

French using either Le Francais Facile or Ecoutez, Parlez, with fun supplements to go along (Bonjour Les Amis video; Hop, Skip, and Sing: French CD and book; Play and Learn French CD and book; and Un, Deux, Trois: First French Rhymes CD and book--I'm very much looking forward to picking up some French myself, can you tell? :lol:)

If our schedule turns out to be too heavy for us to keep up, we'll hold science, French, and spelling for the following year. If science does go, we'll instead aim for a CM approach to that, since it will fit right in with our reading plan! I don't think we'll have too much trouble though (knock on wood!).

Here's my list, for a K5'er -

Bible/Devotions - a children's bible (haven't decided on one yet - wanna pick one for me?) and Leading Little Ones to God

Phonics - OPG and ETC

Handwriting - make up our own as we go along

Math - RightStart

French - still deciding on this - I want something that focuses on *speaking* the language, not grammar. Considering Easy French Junior

Science - nature walks and maybe Sonlight dvd and experiment kits (for the winter, when we can't get outside)

For fun: world cultures study, memorize some poetry, etc.

We will have a 2nd and K too.

Both: SOTW 2, Scripture reading and memorization and copywork, karate

K:

Cursive First

Rightstart B (we already started but will take a year and a half to do probably)

Read-aloud stories

Spell to Write and Read

art projects at home

sewing (she requested it)

2nd:

FLL 1

Rightstart C

Spell to Write and Read

Usborne World History

Art class

Here are my plans...

2nd grader:

MUS Gamma

Spell to Write & Read

GWG 2

SOTW 2

Literature to go along w/ the Middle Ages + some Ambleside Online books

Prima Latina

R.E.A.L. Science 4 Kids Chemistry, maybe some Science in Nutshell too

Bible: possibly Explorers??

-Coop for art and other electives

K5er:

MUS Primer & Alpha

Spell to Write and Read

Cursive First

Bible: See above

-He can join in for History, Science and Latin (if he wants but I won't push it)

We have a 2nd grader and K'er as well.

2nd Grade

Math: RightStart Math

L/A: we will still be plodding through OPGTR, I will see how far we get in the reading but I think I will do SWO A and FLL1 and 2 when he gets more confident in his reading, copywork.

History: we are going to do bible history this year as a precursor to starting the history cycle over again next year (Gr. 3) We will be using a mish mosh of resources, including Heart of Wisdom

Science: I am not going to go a formal program with my ds. If he wants he can follow along with physics book I am going to use with his older sister.

Kindergarten

Math: I am going to do more of a living math approach combined with an informal way of doing RightStart

The rest of our curriculum is going to be Oak Meadow. If my dd catched on with the letter sounds then I will move on to OPTGR

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

I will have a 2nd grader and a K this fall too. Also a pre3.

For 2nd grade we are doing

Right Start Math

History Odyssey Middle Ages level one

literature about this time period

Spelling Workout B into C

ZB Handwriting 2C

Writing With Ease (excited!!)

R.E.A.L. Science Earth and Space level one

Lively Latin

Growing With Grammar 1/2 into 3

Map Skills 3

Mindbenders or something similar

and I may require him to choose a handcraft of some kind to learn

For K we are doing

OPGTTR, we are currently on lesson 50

Primary Phonics

continuing Happy Phonics

Right Start Math

ZB Handwriting K

FLL when we are ready

and maybe even Spelling Workout A, she may be ready for it some time next year

and she and the pre3 often participate in the history and science too

All together we are doing

a family read aloud of a classic or from Ambleside's list

Art Adventures at Home

Suppose the Wolf Were an Octopus

a nature walk several days a week, accompanied by a nature journal

Classical Kids cds and read biographies of the composers

I'll have a 2nd grader and Ker too!

My plans, some of which are set in stone and some of which are pencilled on napkins for now:

2nd:

R&S Arithmetic 2

LLATL Red with ETC (5, 6...?) for phonics

Pathway Readers 2nd grade for reading fluency

FLL/WWE 1 (this is the first year ds's handwriting will be good enough for copywork)

Extra reading practice from SL readers, Winterpromise readers and whatever looks good from the library

K/1ish:

I'm going to try out Singapore 1A, Miquon, Horizons (K, 1?) and RightStart over the next 2 months and pick the one or two that work for dd. These are just things I bought and didn't use for ds, but I want her in a different program so it's not so obvious if she passes him up. Dd is finishing Calvert and Scott Foresman Exploring Mathematics K. If I didn't want a different program, I'd do R&S again because I love its approach.

Finishing Calvert K (we're about 40% through) along with LLATL Blue (I'm using the old version with bob books along with the new version) so we'll spend a while on CVC words and then continue with LLATL Blue (new) and Pathway Readers Grade 1. Catching up in reading isn't as much of a concern as math since we can just read real books together once they're on the same level.

FLL/WWE 1, because dd's handwriting will be good enough to start copywork in the fall and we've already done some narration, poetry and picture study with Language Lessons for Little Ones.

We'll finish up FIAR Volumes 1-3 in early fall and continue with Vol. 4. We'll also do SL Core K and Science K together (ds has started listening to the read-alouds already, but he's a willing listener :bigear:). We'll keep going through SL with maybe some WP for a few years at least.

I will have a 2nd and K5 too - so here's mine!

2nd:

Math - finish Horizon's 2, then maybe go to 3 or review 2 in Abeka (I am looking to get her back on grade level, not too far ahead)

English - PLL

Spelling - R&S 2

TONS of free reading and assigned reading

K:

Math - finish Horizon's K, more on to 1

Phonics - finish clicknkids.com, finish MCP Phonics 1, then evaluate (reads really well now, but I want him to do the mechanics)

Reading from the SL reader lists, R&S Bible readers and lots of other stuff

Both:

AWANA for memory work and copy work

Bible - Explorer's Foundations NT

Science - Appologia Flying Stuff

read alouds by the SL 1 schedule

pretty much everything else ----} TOG Year 1 redesign

Language Arts

Christian Light Education Reading 200

Christian Light Education Language Arts 200

Dandylion Logic

Bible

NASB Bible and Genesis, A Commentary for Children, Nancy Ganz

History and Classical Studies

Chronicles of the Ancient Church Volume 2

Artner Reader's Guide to American History Unit 1

Story of the World Volume 2 Middle Ages

Art Appreciation and History

- Devine Entertainment Artist series

and other misc stuff

Math

Christian Light Education 200

Memory Work (scripture, poetry, famous speeches and quotes)

Science

Christian Light Education Science 200 1st half of the year (she loves them)

Apologia Elementary Science Zoology 2 second half of the year with lapbook

Languages

Lively Latin

American Sign Language

Gymnastics

Typing Instructor for Kids

Music Appreciation and Practice

Worship guitar and vocal lessons

Music Ace for theory

Christian Kids Explore Composers

Devine Entertainment Composer series

Awana Club

Here is our plan for next year...

Keeping in mind we may have to finish up stuff from this year first.

2nd

Right Start Level C

Language Lessons for the Very Young Volume 3 (I think we will be skipping volume 2...too much of the same stuff as vol. 1 and nothing new really) Which also includes our copywork, poetry, dictation, and picture study.

All About Spelling Level 2/3

Ambleside Year 2 reading list

Song School Latin (and maybe throw in some Minimus since I own it)

Mindbenders

Might throw in a workbook on map skills if time allows or if we need a break from something.

K5

Right Start Level A

Language Lesson for Little Ones Volume 2/3 (Which also includes our copywork, poetry, dictation, and picture study.)

ETC Books 1-3

Happy Phonics

Continue working on basic skills like gluing, cutting, ect.

Both

(Do not expect the same amount/quality of work from K5 as I do 2nd)

Combining AO with SOTW vol 2 Audio and AG (Thanks to Dawne organizing AO into a four year rotation)

Nature Study with LOTS of living books. Still working on this for next year. Trying to figure out what our areas of focus will be. May wait to see what tickles our fancy.

Fine Arts...continuing with our Sketch Tuesday with Barb's blog. Maybe doing AP book 2 if I can find it used cheap enough. Artist and Composer Study (still working on this). Poetry (not sure how I am going to go about this yet).

French...Ugh! Not sure if I am going to do a "formal" study in this yet, or continue with exposure through videos, books on tape, and conversation with dad. (There is a slight possibility we may get to live in Bordeaux for a year in a couple of years.)

Geography using the Holling C. Holling books

Lots and Lots of read alouds

And since we STILL do not know where we are going to be living this fall, I have not figured out what we are doing as far as activities.

So, that's it...for now. And I know there is stuff I have forgotten.

As of right now, my will-be second grader doesn't actually read yet. So my plans are:

Phonics Pathways

All About Spelling

Right Start Math B/C

First Language Lessons 2

Perhaps Susan's new writing program

Story of the World

LCC-style literature and classical selections

I'll also have a first grader doing roughly the same program, just a bit behind the 1st grader in math and grammar. And HE reads just fine. :001_huh:

Science will mostly be informal. Art is TBD. Both will be in Scouts.

Here's my plan for my kindergartener

Math: Developmental math + play with manipulatives

Phonics: Phonics Pathways

English: Language Lessons for the Very Young Volume 2 (maybe 3)

History: Listen to Medieval Biblioplan with older siblings + projects from SOTW 2 activity guide

Science: Outdoor play + read alouds on topics of interest

Extras: Swimmng, karate, and lots of play

:auto:

2nd grade next year:

Math-U-See (finish Beta, add Gamma)

Rod & Staff English 2 (just grammar)

Writing With Ease

Rod & Staff Spelling 2

Apologia Astronomy

SOTW Middle Ages (without activity book), my own supplements

would like to add vocabulary, map skills/geography

Here's my plan for DS, at least at this very moment: ;)

Singapore Earlybird Math 2A and 2B plus Power Math to supplement

Discovering World Geography with Books Kids Love (I'm using this as a spine for a gentle introduction of geography, history & world cultures)

Easy as 1,2,3: A Catholic Overview of Science for the Primary Grades

(uses living books and nature study to introduce science to kids)

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (second half)/ Little Stories for Little Folks

CHC Handwriting Series (Level K)

Story of the Orchestra (music appreciation) / Child Size Masterpieces (art appreciation)

Who Am I? CHC Kindergarten Catechism

Poetry: The Harp and Laurel Wreath (poetry/copywork)

Literature: In addition to all the literature we'll be reading for social studies and science, we'll also be reading from the Blue Fairy Book, The Real Mother Goose, Magic Tree House series, and other books listed on the Ambleside Kindergarten booklist.

Wow, that looks like a lot. On my schedule it doesn't seem to be nearly as much, probably due to the fact that not everything will be done everyday and also the fact that we'll be schooling year round. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I have for my 2nd grader:

Winter Promise American History II (History)

Map Skills for Today and Great States Junior Game(Geography)

MUS Beta and Singapore Math(Arithmetic)

First Language Lessons, Explode the Code (Language Arts)

Exploring Creation with Astronomy , R.E.A.L. or Singapore's MPH: (Science)

Correcting Reversals, HWOT 2(Handwriting)

Character Education and Gotta Have God: Devotions 6-9 (Bible)

Analogies Grades 2-3 (Logic)

Meet the Great Composers (Music Appreciation)

Come Look With Me series (Art Appreciation)

Just saw this thread!

Winter Promise- Animals in Their Worlds

Winter Promise- LA1 with Animals in Their Worlds Readers

Prufrock Press: Differentiated Curriculum- Patterns

Singapore Math

Kumon Math

While/where his high-school-age, big brothers take tutorials, ds will also attend an enrichment program where he will run in circles, mash some play-doh, enjoy story-time, create some art, do some activities related to early American history, and do some fun science activities. They will also do some fun enrichment math and fun enrichment LA. Math and LA is all going to be material that he has covered, but it will make him feel smart and I am all about review!

Mandy

I haven't made nearly enough decisions, but so far:

History, Church History, Art/Activities, Geography, Literature:

ToG Year 2, LG

Science:

Earth/Space and Nature Study, Haven't decided specific resources yet, leaning toward R.E.A.L. Science for the Earth/Space study. Nature study will continue to be informal, with a sketchpad, watercolor pencils and lots of time outside and with field guides, etc. I change my mind from hour to hour about science - we may just go with a load of library books and a hodge-podge of topics - ack!

Math:

Singapore Primary Math, U.S. Editions We'll continue this through the summer, so we'll just keep going. We've just started 1A, so we may be in 1A at our "official" start time of fall, or we may be up to 2A by then.

Latin:

Prima Latina, orally, using the TM and the pronunciation cd

Composer Study:

Follow Ambleside's schedule, do a bio and listen to the music. Maybe keep a notebook, haven't decided yet.

Art Appreciation/Picture Study:

Follow Ambleside's schedule, possibly using Linda Fay's idea of making our own book of masterpieces???

P.E.:

Ride bikes, homeschool phys ed classes at the Y, general dancing, running, climbing and being a kid :)

Enrichment:

Piano Lessons (??? Probably, not decided for sure yet), Church choir, maybe scouts. Thinking of starting a parent/child book group, a la Deconstructing Penguins.

Bible Study:

BSF or CBS - whichever one just fits us better next year. Leaning toward CBS because they have a day program with a kid's program all the way up K-12; BSF children's program is only during our evening class. We tried it this year, but it was just too late of an evening for dd6. We'll see. Can anyone compare these programs?

Ack! I really need to get some decisions cemented, feeling pressure, LOL. Except I feel like I can't decide for sure until I see some things in person, which I can't do until the convention. Eeeekkkkk!

Breathe. It's all good.

:)

Melissa

• 2 months later...

I know this was an old thread, but I noticed more people had finished their planning for next year, and I'd love to see thier plans.

I also realized I've changed a few plans since originally posting:

2nd Grade:

SOTW II

Literature--Classics 400-1600 (some read-aloud)

GWG 4

SWO E/F

HWT Printing 2

CW Aesop

Latin Prep

MP Famous Men of Rome study

EPGY Math (online)

Explorers Beginnings II Bible

Science Explorers -- Earth Science

Drawing with Children

Kindergarten:

Explode the Code

HWT K book

Literature: Classic fairy tales (read aloud)

Survey of world cultures (Based on GTG and other resources)

Drawing with Children

Singapore Earlybird Kindergarten mathematics

So.... bump!

I'll have a 2nd grader and Ker too!

My plans, some of which are set in stone and some of which are pencilled on napkins for now:

2nd:

R&S Arithmetic 2

LLATL Red with ETC (5, 6...?) for phonics

Pathway Readers 2nd grade for reading fluency

FLL/WWE 1 (this is the first year ds's handwriting will be good enough for copywork)

Extra reading practice from SL readers, Winterpromise readers and whatever looks good from the library

K/1ish:

I'm going to try out Singapore 1A, Miquon, Horizons (K, 1?) and RightStart over the next 2 months and pick the one or two that work for dd. These are just things I bought and didn't use for ds, but I want her in a different program so it's not so obvious if she passes him up. Dd is finishing Calvert and Scott Foresman Exploring Mathematics K. If I didn't want a different program, I'd do R&S again because I love its approach.

Finishing Calvert K (we're about 40% through) along with LLATL Blue (I'm using the old version with bob books along with the new version) so we'll spend a while on CVC words and then continue with LLATL Blue (new) and Pathway Readers Grade 1. Catching up in reading isn't as much of a concern as math since we can just read real books together once they're on the same level.

FLL/WWE 1, because dd's handwriting will be good enough to start copywork in the fall and we've already done some narration, poetry and picture study with Language Lessons for Little Ones.

We'll finish up FIAR Volumes 1-3 in early fall and continue with Vol. 4. We'll also do SL Core K and Science K together (ds has started listening to the read-alouds already, but he's a willing listener :bigear:). We'll keep going through SL with maybe some WP for a few years at least.

Umm, can you believe our plans changed a lot. :001_huh:

We're almost done with SL Core K, so we'll be doing WP Hideaways in History over 18 months and adding in extras from the SOTW AG and SL 1 and 2. We'll do each "week" over 2 weeks.

Dd ended up with R&S Math 1 and ds is using Singapore Math 1 over the summer. Strangely, R&S and Singapore are a very good combination for all three of us.

Language arts DID work out as planned except that I added some Pathways workbooks for dd. Ds's reading was improved a lot, so I don't thing dd will catch up next year. Now, I just have to keep ds stocked with interesting easy readers. A nice problem to have!

Oh, and science! I've decided to do the Discover and Do DVDs and experiments and add library books to round out those topics. We'll read through the other SL K, 1 and 2science books at read aloud time. I'm guessing we'll take about 18 months to do this so we'll be done at the same time as our 18 month whirlwind tour of world history.

Here are my plans for 2nd:

Math - continue RightStart B

LA - SWR and WWE 1

History - SOTW 2 with AG

Science - Apologia Zoo 2

Art - Usborne book and Evan Moor book (pick and choose)

Bible - Explorer's Bible Study Beginnings II

Latin - Minimus

Music - Discoveries in Music and group music class

P.E. - nothing formal so far

I also have a rising 2nd grader and kindergartener. So here are my plans (trying to keep it simple!).

2nd grader

Oak Meadow 2

Phonics for Reading, 2nd level

MathSteps 2 (instead of Oak Meadow math)

Kindergartener

Oak Meadow 1 (1st two thirds - I have a plan to spread OM 1 & 2 over 3 years for her)

Explode the Code 1 (and then 1 1/2 or 2)

Saxon Math 1 (1st half)

Both

SOTW 1 (just the Romans), then into SOTW 2

Journaling

Outdoor hour challenges

Spanish, music & art at charter school

And that's it!

Ker here:

Phonics: OPG with ETC

Math: Singapore Earlybird 2

Social Studies/Geography/Literature: Galloping the Globe

Science: various books from the Winterpromise and Sonlight K lists and interest driven library books plus fun experiements

Bible: a story book Bible and weekly memory verse

Handwriting: copywork using memory verses and other information she's working to memorize such as her address.

Art: Come Look with Me and Drawing w/ Children

Music: various classical cds

2nd grade here:

SOTW 2 and AG

Earth Science and Astronomy ala WTM recommendations-still need to get off my butt and put this together:001_smile:

WWE 1

FLL2

Saxon Math 2

SWO B moving to C

Independent reading tied to history

Free reading that I liked as a kid

Nature study with Handbook of Nature Study and field guides

Composer study ala AO

Art Appreciation ala AO

beginning piano

Growing, Growing Strong for Health

continue walking and doing calisthenics for PE

Artistic Pursuits

Here are our tentative plans so far.... might switch over to TOG, but that remains to be seen:

2nd:

SOTW w/AG - finish 1 then 2

FLL

Writing with Ease

All About Spelling

HWT

RightStart A

R&S for Bible

God's Design For... Astronomy & Earth (might change to Elemental Science simply becuase it looks more fun/appropriate, but didn't know about it before I purchased the former)

Artistic Pursuits

Lots of period read alouds and oral reading practice

PK:

Headsprout

HWT

RightStart A (if he's interested)

Sitting in on whatever books being read aloud

Lots of puzzles and playing outside

Well I'm still working on this but I'm thinking:

Grade 1

MUS Beta

FLL (finish part 1 and start 2)

CLP Spelling skills book 1

FIAR

God's Design for Life (botany and human body)

Nature study

SOTW 1 (started last year, working slowly)

French Ecoutez! Parlez!

Leading Little Ones to God

Canada My Country

PreKer

B4FIAR/FIAR

Teach Your Child to Read 100 Easy Lessons

Join in any were she wants to

2 year old

heehee she'll be in the middle of everything I know it. :lol:

Will be doing some B4FIAR with her and the preKer.

The 2nd grade plan:

SOTW 3 & 4 and AG with big sis (in SL Core 7)

SL Core 2 readers and read alouds, listening to sister's Core 7 read alouds

SL LA 2...maybe.

FLL part 2

SWO B

Wordly Wise

Saxon 2 and 3 (finish 2, then 3)

random science stuff I have lying about-Janice VanCleeve, a really cool book called The Private Eye, basically stuff I have and never had time to use!

Espanol Para Chicos y Grandes, maybe a Spanish Class, RS Spanish...unless we are moving to Korea, in which case we are ditching Spanish and doing intensive Korean language study

Meet the Masters for art

A composer book we've had for years and never used (do you see a trend?:001_huh:)

PE is too many hours of gymnastics a week than would seem reasonable!

Still working on it here and there. We have to try most of these on for a good fit ~ some may have to go.:)

2nd

Explorer II Bible

Abeka 2 Math, & Singapore 1B Intensive Practice

FLL & WWE, Harp & Laurel Wreath for poem memorization

Classically Cursive

CLP Building Spelling Skills 2

SL 2 Int. & Adv. readers (not sure about this one)

Biblioplan Ancients

God's Design for Life Series Science & Nature walks

Prima Latina

Piano Lessons & The Story of the Orchestra

Artistic Pursuits

Typing Instructor for Kids

Ballet & Gymnastics

For extra fun: Mindbenders & Building Thinking Skills as we can fit them in!

Pre-K

Phonics Pathways & Abeka phonics combo

Math manipulatives

Kumon workbooks (if he feels like "doing" school)

Lots of coloring & just playing around

Listening to mom and sissy read & read!

Here is our plan for next year...

Keeping in mind we may have to finish up stuff from this year first.

2nd

Right Start Level C

Language Lessons for the Very Young Volume 3 (I think we will be skipping volume 2...too much of the same stuff as vol. 1 and nothing new really) Which also includes our copywork, poetry, dictation, and picture study.

All About Spelling Level 2/3

Ambleside Year 2 reading list

Song School Latin (and maybe throw in some Minimus since I own it)

Mindbenders

Might throw in a workbook on map skills if time allows or if we need a break from something.

K5

Right Start Level A

Language Lesson for Little Ones Volume 2/3 (Which also includes our copywork, poetry, dictation, and picture study.)

ETC Books 1-3

Happy Phonics

Continue working on basic skills like gluing, cutting, ect.

Both

(Do not expect the same amount/quality of work from K5 as I do 2nd)

Combining AO with SOTW vol 2 Audio and AG (Thanks to Dawne organizing AO into a four year rotation)

Nature Study with LOTS of living books. Still working on this for next year. Trying to figure out what our areas of focus will be. May wait to see what tickles our fancy.

Fine Arts...continuing with our Sketch Tuesday with Barb's blog. Maybe doing AP book 2 if I can find it used cheap enough. Artist and Composer Study (still working on this). Poetry (not sure how I am going to go about this yet).

French...Ugh! Not sure if I am going to do a "formal" study in this yet, or continue with exposure through videos, books on tape, and conversation with dad. (There is a slight possibility we may get to live in Bordeaux for a year in a couple of years.)

Geography using the Holling C. Holling books

Lots and Lots of read alouds

And since we STILL do not know where we are going to be living this fall, I have not figured out what we are doing as far as activities.

So, that's it...for now. And I know there is stuff I have forgotten.

Holy cow! Things sure have changed in three months! We know where we are going to be living now...No. CA. I am pretty sure we will be registering with a Charter School so the boys will get to take a few classes there and I am not exactly sure what they will buy/lend as far as curriculum goes so...this is what I posted on a more current thread about what we will be using. (Very interesting to see the changes we have made. We will not be using a CM "curriculum" as thought, but will definitely us a lot of her ideas within our school.)...

Things are still a bit unclear for us for the coming year, but this is what I think we will be starting at the end of August....Depends on when we are moving and what is going on with the charter school we applied to.

DS7 (2nd grade)

Using TOG Y2 Redesign U1&2 for the first time and very excited about it!

Math...finishing up RS Level B and moving onto C...may supplement with Singapore CWP

Grammar...finishing up GWG Level 1 and moving onto Level 2

Spelling...AAS Level 2 and 3

Science...Nature Study...Barb's Green Hour Challenges (can't remember what the new name is)...digging deeper into whatever sparks an interest.

Mindbenders...the beginning level

French...looking into a curriculum for this still

Latin...Song School Latin or Minimus...maybe through a charter school

Fine Arts and possibly Martial Arts through a charter school...maybe

Also looking into and thinking about doing some sort of phonics program...maybe. He learned to read on his own and reads at a high level, but I think we should do something in this area just to make sure. Maybe SSWR or the ETC workbooks.

DS5 (Ker)

TOG...not expecting too much, but he really likes listening to the stories and doing all of the projects

Math...RS Level A

Phonics...undecided. I was planning to continue the ETC workbooks along with Happy Phonics, but I may have the chance to get SSWR for free!

Science...Nature Study...Barb's Green Hour Challenges (can't remember what the new name is)...digging deeper into whatever sparks an interest.

French...looking into a curriculum for this still

Fine Arts and possibly Martial Arts through a charter school...maybe