Menu

What is the point of a separate tub and shower?

I don't get it - it's supposed to be this "desirable" thing. It's just something else to clean! I have had a separate tub and shower for 11 years and I still don't get it. I finally had to give in and ask after watching an HGTV show where they went on an on about a bathroom remodel that had a combined tub/shower.

We have a separate shower/tub and I love it. Our shower stall is standard size and while I admit it is small, I've also had the same complaint about the shower/tub combos. I prefer the square style of the separate shower that gives me arm room to the rectangle style of a shower/tub combo where my elbows hit the shower doors or curtains.

Bathrooms aren't a big deal to me. I don't scrub the bathtub and shower every day. I find kitchens are much worse. I don't like big kitchens because too much counter space and too many cabinets make more daily work. Also, I had extra cabinet space in my last house that I never used. It was wasted space! I like my small, compact, cozy kitchen I have now.

I guess it's a preference thing!

:tongue_smilie:Most people like the "idea" of the tub, but most of us don't have the time for those "calgon take me away" hour-in-the tub.

For people, like my MIL, who use their tub -- the standard tubs aren't big enough. They aren't big enough for my mom (who loves to soak) either. The big tubs allow them to be surrounded by water.

I'm not a "soaker" -- the only times I take baths are usually after I've given birth for therapeutic reasons. I personally don't like the tub/shower combos either... I'm a klutz. Stepping over the tub side is a hazzard for me.

What I *hate* is a big tub/tiny shower. We use the shower all the time, and in a limited amount of space, give me a spa shower over a tub and shower any day.

Our planned "new" bathroom does have a spa tub and a large shower, because there is space for it. However, if we didn't have the space my dh and I would be content with a really nice shower.

As far as the cleaning goes... make sure you have a hand-shower in any separate tub, as it makes clean-up really quick (which, for me, as a non-soaker, simply means spraying off the dust:tongue_smilie:

I am a bath taker. I like an "open" tub because it's more pleasant. But a shower has to be closed or curtained.

It would be really gross to take a tub in a bath that wasn't meticulously clean. But our shower gets used by DH on a schedule that isn't always predictable. I have to clean the glass doors on it all the time because he splatters shampoo and soap. I just wouldn't want to have to scrub the tub and clean the glass every time I want a bath, and I would have to.

So I always clean the shower in the morning, but if DH uses it again during the day, the tub is still clean.

This sounds so so obsessive. I'm really not such a detailed homekeeper. But the bath tub is special!

Our seperate shower is square, large, and has a bench. I love it. When my mom visits, it is easier for her to get in and out of because she doesn't have to step over the high side of the tub. I also love my large spa tub. I like to read in the tub. I didn't think it mattered to me until I had the seperate shower. Now I don't want to be without it, mostly for ease of use for my mom.

We only have a shower in our master. It is a double shower with benches. It used to have doors but I took them out and replaced them with a curtain. I really dislike small showers and would rather have only a large shower than have a small shower and a tub. We have a tub/shower in the main bath upstairs if we wanted to take a bath.

We frequent a house that has a separate large shower and tub. I like it! Like others have said, it is a large soaking tub and it isn't feasible to have it as part of a shower. I don't use it often so I don't have to clean it often.

I wouldn't like to have a traditional small tub/shower combo for my main shower now that I am used to having them separate.

I love mine! I like that I can fit multiple kids in my big soaker tub. I also like that the bath stays cleaner without people taking showers in there all the time (I get REALLY grossed out taking a bath in a combination shower/bath - I don't like dirty feet :-). My shower is big enough to shave, etc., so it works well.

:tongue_smilie:Most people like the "idea" of the tub, but most of us don't have the time for those "calgon take me away" hour-in-the tub.

For people, like my MIL, who use their tub -- the standard tubs aren't big enough. They aren't big enough for my mom (who loves to soak) either. The big tubs allow them to be surrounded by water.

I'm not a "soaker" -- the only times I take baths are usually after I've given birth for therapeutic reasons. I personally don't like the tub/shower combos either... I'm a klutz. Stepping over the tub side is a hazzard for me.

What I *hate* is a big tub/tiny shower. We use the shower all the time, and in a limited amount of space, give me a spa shower over a tub and shower any day.

Our planned "new" bathroom does have a spa tub and a large shower, because there is space for it. However, if we didn't have the space my dh and I would be content with a really nice shower.

As far as the cleaning goes... make sure you have a hand-shower in any separate tub, as it makes clean-up really quick (which, for me, as a non-soaker, simply means spraying off the dust:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: Yes, exactly my thoughts!

Wait. I'm not supposed to have the kids "swimming" in the soaker tub while I shower? I thought that was the point: more family can clean up at the same time! :D

That is why I love my separate tub/shower. My littles bathe together when I shower... it keeps them in sight & out of trouble, and saves me time :D.

I love this thread!

I have a giant soaking tub. We have lived here for three years and we've NEVER used it. Who in the world wants to clean that? Oh, it's quite lovely, with a huge picture window right over it looking out into the woods . . .

It's such a giant, wasted space in my bathroom. I'd much prefer it were additional closet space. But we figure it might be a selling point down the road.

Meanwhile, we shower in the itty, bitty stall with a "seat" that's not big enough to sit on.

:)

Right now we live in an old house that has 2 full baths. One bathroom has a claw foot tub (no shower). It is a fairly small bathroom. Tub works fine but we just are not bath people. It was great when my kiddos were small. They could "swim" before I gave them a bath. This bathroom is mainly used for toilet and brushing teeth.

The other bathroom is extremely small. I have seen closets bigger than this bathroom, no joke. It has the tub/shower combo. I would LOVE to rip everything out and put in just a shower unit - length of the tub not the little square ones- and new pedatal sink and new toilet (old house = old stuff right now) new flooring while I am dreaming too.

Right now we live in an old house that has 2 full baths. One bathroom has a claw foot tub (no shower). It is a fairly small bathroom. Tub works fine but we just are not bath people. It was great when my kiddos were small. They could "swim" before I gave them a bath. This bathroom is mainly used for toilet and brushing teeth.

The other bathroom is extremely small. I have seen closets bigger than this bathroom, no joke. It has the tub/shower combo. I would LOVE to rip everything out and put in just a shower unit - length of the tub not the little square ones- and new pedatal sink and new toilet (old house = old stuff right now) new flooring while I am dreaming too.

My parents house had a claw foot tub. When I was 22 I moved back home to take care of my sick father (my parents were separated). My one requirement was that the claw foot tub have a shower conversion kit added. It worked great! There is a steel pole that goes up to make a shower head and the shower rod is a loop at the top and uses 3 shower curtains. This was 15 years ago and it has lasted all this time.

1. It's horrible showering in a shower-over-bath because it's not properly enclosed and you get cold drafts.

2. It doesn't have a tiled, flat floor to stand on, so you're more likely to slip and fall. (I did this once. I broke my hand badly and have permanent damage. So maybe I'm paranoid about this.)

3. The shower is functional. Like the toilet. You use it for bodily hygiene. Whereas the bath is a luxury, a sensuous sanctuary, something you get emotionally involved with. You can use it for meditating, reading, aromatherapy, snoozing, etc. It is despoiled when it is used for such mundane purposes as washing :lol:

We're in the process of buying a house...very timely thread. I want a large shower. DH is a very tall man with very long arms, he could use some shower space. :001_smile: I'd love a seat so I can sit and shave my legs. THe bath wouldn't get used often, but if I could take a nice bath once/ month, I'd like to have a nice one. Note to self....check dimensions of shower stall on building plans....

We don't have a separate tub/shower....but I would LOVE one. We will (hopefully) be looking for a house soon and for a huge master bath with a separate shower/soaking tub, I'd be willing to overlook a LOT of other things. I LOVE taking baths, but I hate cleaning it all the time. And honestly, my dh is a very hairy man. It needs to be cleaned every.single.time. he showers (not that it gets cleaned every day- it just needs to be) I would LOVE for all that mess to be contained in the shower where I don't have to look at it constantly and I could just take a bath when I felt like it instead of having to scrub it down first.

Well, since you are talking luxery tubs, I thought I'd give you a picture of ours.

:lol: Yes, I am serious. This is what I use to bath my littles inside the huge walk-in shower.

Wait. I'm not supposed to have the kids "swimming" in the soaker tub while I shower? I thought that was the point: more family can clean up at the same time! :D

:D That's how it works here too. The shower/tub combo in the public bathroom only gets used by company.

We have a tiled seat in our shower and my 2cents worth is to run the hot water pipe under it or heat it in some other way. Ours gets used as a shelf/place to prop a foot when shaving because it tends to be COLD.

Ok can I hijack this thread or should I start a new one? Here's my question...does it bother any of you to have the toilet right in the middle of the bathroom? WE're looking at houses right now and all the toilets are right in the center of the room or immediately next to the huge, spa tub. One house, the toilet was about 2inches, and I do mean 2 inches, from the tub. Personally, I don't want the toilet that close if I'm relaxing in the tub. I saw a house, which we absolutely can't afford but I loved how it had a nice sized master bathroom and the toilet had its own little room!!! Dh could come in and do his business, even if I was relaxing in the tub or I'd have privacy when dealing with Aunt Flo. :glare: Am I being picky?

I have seperate walk in shower. The huge soaker/jet tube with a wonderful view and a seperate toilet room. I also have plenty of closet space.

But in my previous homes I had standard tub/showerr combo with the toilet set by the tub.

I hope to never go back

I love to soak and read about hour each night. Its my only place where I am totally left alone

I have a house of boys:D:D

We love the separate shower in our master bathroom; although we wouldn't want to go back to showering in a tub, we'll always keep it because so many people do like tubs, so it's a good selling feature.

I have to dust my garden tub because we never use it.:D

Ok can I hijack this thread or should I start a new one? Here's my question...does it bother any of you to have the toilet right in the middle of the bathroom? WE're looking at houses right now and all the toilets are right in the center of the room or immediately next to the huge, spa tub. One house, the toilet was about 2inches, and I do mean 2 inches, from the tub. Personally, I don't want the toilet that close if I'm relaxing in the tub. I saw a house, which we absolutely can't afford but I loved how it had a nice sized master bathroom and the toilet had its own little room!!! Dh could come in and do his business, even if I was relaxing in the tub or I'd have privacy when dealing with Aunt Flo. :glare: Am I being picky?

Yes, it does. And in *this* house, the master bath toilet is in a little room all by its onesie. LOVE it!