Menu

Do I want this pot?

I want it to be stainless steel. I want it to have thick walls. I do have a thin walled pot and things get scorched in it so I don't use it. I will be using this pot a lot.

If it won't hurt your budget to buy the pot, go for it.

We have a stainless steel pasta pot that I use almost daily for everything from pasta to soup to canning jam. It's lasted for a really long time and is still in great condition. We've gotten way more than $100 use out of it.

Cat

I would suggest looking at your closest store like Foley's or nice department store. Ask what the best deal for it would be... with coupons... and whatever else they can think of... Then make your decision. I know for me, the handles would have to be riveted, and the bottom layers not just layered... but actually enclosed for me to spend that much. (didn't take another look to see) Also, Ross dress for less sometimes has nice pots..... Just a thought. Then... if all that failed... I'd get it. :)

I have a kettle made from Demeyere that has a very heavy bottom on it, bail handle, and helper handle and I use it for boiling up a whole ham for bean soup or making several batches of jam at a time. Everyone comments on what a nice pot it is.

When I saw your title, I thought of when my kids were little and they were playing in the kitchen banging on lids with wooden spoons. My friend said, "Look! Their first pot party!"

I have a kettle made from Demeyere that has a very heavy bottom on it, bail handle, and helper handle and I use it for boiling up a whole ham for bean soup or making several batches of jam at a time. Everyone comments on what a nice pot it is.

Oh, those look nice. I guess the Caphalon is a bargain compared to those.

This article recommends the Cuisinart 12 Qt Stainless Steel pot I have in my Amazon cart. It's roughly half the price of the Calphalon you're looking at.

The link is broken. Do you mind relisting it? I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

:D

OK this is the link...

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/product.asp?docid=13820&parentdocid=10638

Hmmm.....this is a good price...

Edited by Snickerdoodle

You can buy the used one from Amazon for $30 cheaper, and there's only a $3.99 shipping fee. That would be a better deal. I mean, how "used" can it be? My Revere Ware pots and pans have 20 years of use on them, and they look great.

I've seen these pots at the Williams-Sonoma store, and I personally don't like them (sorry). I don't like the brushed surface of the exterior -- it doesn't have a sleek, smooth feel. The top edge seems a little sharp to me. But that's just my opinion -- obviously other people love them.

I think 12 or 16 quart pots are great to have! I would also look around a bit for a thick bottomed stainless steel one for half or less the price, but then again we bought ours years ago, and I don't remember what it cost.

It looks like a nice pot - I really like the glass covers as you can see what's going on without taking the lid off. :001_smile:

...a glass lid is really nice. You don't want to always have to pull the lid off to check whether the soup is boiling yet. Also, if you use it in a solar oven, you get a little extra bounce from the rays going through the lid.

Be sure to check on weight. I looked at the All Clad stock pot and didn't buy it because I didn't think I would use it because it would be so heavy when full. I have a good multi pot with a heavy bottom that is much lighter, and I use it all the time.

Consider the handles as well. Again, this is going to be on the heavy side when it is full. I had one with 'loop' type handles that I really liked except that the handles were small enough to dig into my hands. I took it back and got one with larger diameter handles so the weight would be more evenly distributed.

A domed lid is nice to encourage condensate to run back into the pot instead of dripping, but I don't know of a glass lidded pot with a domed lid--I'm not sure that that is even possible with glass.

(Did you do it?) :bigear:

You can't go wrong with any of the pots that have been linked. It's a personal choice. I really do like the glass lid on your original choice, and I like the handles because when I pour out of my pot, I like to have my hands a bit lower on the sides rather than right up at the top. I'm clutzy, and apt to burn myself either with boiling liquid, or with the steam. The lower handles on some of my pans have been more...maneuverable(?) for me. That's one of those personal preference things though. The Cuisinart is also very nice, and if CI liked it, then it's probably great! :001_smile:

I bought the cuisinart pot.

I hope I don't regret it because the caphalon was singing to me.

Let us know how you like it! I'd really like to avoid any mediocre pot. :D

I now have the cuisinart pot plus three others on my wishlist. I think I might be better off with a 16 qt one...Hmm...

Let us know how you like it! I'd really like to avoid any mediocre pot. :D

Sure. Let me be the guinea pig. :D I was thinking about it and the pot I have has no knob on the lid (it broke off). Either way it's a major improvement.

16 quart. I know!!!!!! Well, 12 quart is double the size I'm using now. Like I said, either way for me it's a major improvement.

Who knew pot shopping could be so fun? :D

You have made a great choice!

Sorry I didn't get to posting before. I have several Cuisinart pots, including a 9 qt. pot with a pasta insert, and a 16 quart stock pot. I've had these for years (the 9 qt. for about 10, the 16 for about 5). I cook a LOT, from scratch. Even chicken feet! These pots are wonderful!

I love that they are decently heavy, and best of all, they can be put in the dishwasher (take THAT Calphalon and All-Clad!). If stuff gets stuck on them, we use Barkeeper's Friend to bring back their shine.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a cheaper, but nice, stainless steel pot, try IKEA. I have one of their 11 qt. pots and it's been good, too. It's not quite as heavy as the Cuisinart cookware, but I've use it a lot with good results.

Even though I love my Cuisinart pots, I occasionally dream of getting an All-Clad or heavy copper one so I would have something substantial enough in which to make kettle corn. I will never do that because it would be too expensive and fattening. I get kettle corn once a year at the fair.

Happy cooking!

GardenMom

You have made a great choice!

Sorry I didn't get to posting before. I have several Cuisinart pots, including a 9 qt. pot with a pasta insert, and a 16 quart stock pot. I've had these for years (the 9 qt. for about 10, the 16 for about 5). I cook a LOT, from scratch. Even chicken feet! These pots are wonderful!

Thanks so much for posting. It's great to hear such a lovely review.

I have never heard of this, or any other, use for chicken feet.

In fact, I have never seen a chicken foot.

Do chicken feet have meat on them? How do you clean them before using them?

Thanks,

RC

Some people eat the feet I've heard. It's very popular with some Asians and Hispanics. I've also heard that Jewish cooks think the secret to good broth comes from using the feet. Who knows?

Chicken feet can be found in lots of the super markets here, at Whole Foods and at farmer's markets. The ones I buy are already cleaned. Of course I always do the whole rinse thing before I boil them. I just boil them to death and then discard.

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_stock_from_chicken_feet/

I have never heard of this, or any other, use for chicken feet.

In fact, I have never seen a chicken foot.

Do chicken feet have meat on them? How do you clean them before using them?

Thanks,

RC

I have several chicken feet walking around in my yard:).

Seriously, I haven't bought them, but they come with a chicken if you butcher it yourself. You scald the feet for a few minutes, peel off the skin, then rinse. They have no meat on them, but make excellent stock because they contain a lot of collagen.

Some people make broth entirely from the feet, but I never have enough. Happy cooking!

GardenMom

I love that they are decently heavy, and best of all, they can be put in the dishwasher (take THAT Calphalon and All-Clad!). If stuff gets stuck on them, we use Barkeeper's Friend to bring back their shine.

I put my All Clad into the dishwasher all the time. I do have the Master Chef, so the finish is not that critical; maybe you were thinking of the line with the matte black exterior--I'm not sure whether they make that anymore or not. I have not seen it in a long time.

One of the nice things about All Clad is that it's so smooth inside that I have never had anything really stick to it. Nothing hot water and dish soap couldn't take care of with a quick wipe--no scouring needed at all.

I put my All Clad into the dishwasher all the time. I do have the Master Chef, so the finish is not that critical; maybe you were thinking of the line with the matte black exterior--I'm not sure whether they make that anymore or not. I have not seen it in a long time.

One of the nice things about All Clad is that it's so smooth inside that I have never had anything really stick to it. Nothing hot water and dish soap couldn't take care of with a quick wipe--no scouring needed at all.

Thanks for this - I wasn't intending to lead anyone astray! I am remembering from years ago when I was shopping for cookware, and the All Clad pots I was looking at weren't supposed to be put in the dishwasher. I wonder what they were?

GardenMom