Menu

Classical Conversations Roll Call!

Aloha2U

We'll be joining a new community this fall and I'm wondering how many on the boards here are involved w/CC in some way. So whether you're planning to join, are currently involved in a community, or just use some of their materials at home (i.e. memory work)... how many of us are there?

:lurk5:

We joined a new community this year, and I tutored the journeymen class. Although the kids learned a lot, we are not going to be in a campus next year. We are going to continue to do some of their memory work, though. It is too expensive for us all without me tutoring, and I got a little frustrated with some of the absolute randomness of their memory work, as well as the attitude, at least on their forums, that CC pretty much has it down as far as the best way to classically homeschool your child. They don't really want to explain why they have chosen the maps, facts, etc. that they have-just accept that they know best and are always right! So it turns out that deep down, I am a rebel at heart, LOL. But I really do love the ladies in our campus, and the kids have learned a lot, so I am not really against CC. I'm just ready for a break!

This was our first year with Classical Conversations. We just did the Foundations class. I joined mostly for the social side of it. It has been wonderful for my children. It turned out that my shy, introverted boys' favorite part was the weekly presentation! Who'd have thought!? So it gave them an opportunity that I'd never have expected them to actually enjoy.

They had the most fantastic tutor. She had 8 boys in her group and she managed to keep them focused, but let them be boys at the same time. She created such a positive, safe environment. By the end of the year, the boys had learned to compliment specific aspects of each other's presentations. It's been fascinating to watch her.

It does take a day out of our week, but it's only for 24 weeks out of the year and it has added things to our homeschool life that I can't add at home. We'll definitely be continuing next year!

yvonne

Edited by yvonne

CC Mom here!

Works great for my two. Son's Essentials tutor is AMAZING.

A lot depends on your tutor/ director. We have a good group.

The info. follows the "Everything You Need to Know About ___ Homework" books

We use CC as a high quality supplement.

I am a tutor this year for master's class, have 4 children involved. We won't be doing it next year, we just have too much basic work we need to be focused on, but this year was fantastic, the kids learned a lot and so did I.

Finishing our 2nd year here. Nayfiesmama made me. :tongue_smilie: Anyway, I have two kids currently studying for memory masters and I am a Challenge A tutor. I love it. One of the great things I have learned to accept through being a tutor is that there is no such thing as a perfect curriculum. Another mom was kind enough to point that out to me, and it has opened my eyes to all the possibilities that CC can offer.

Oh, and the people, wonderful! Except for that pesky Foundations Director that is always bothering me. ;)

We're looking at maybe being part of a new group in the fall!

Does anyone know if you have to be a mom to be a tutor? We have a retired homeschooler and a graduated daughter that want to help???

Which level? For Foundations or Essentials, you must have dc in the program (the point of the tutoring is to help offest the cost of enrolling your dc.) For Challenge, you must have homeschooled a child that age at some point (not necessarily currently.)

We are on our 4th year of Foundations and 1st year of Essentials. I've wondered about some of the information choices over the years as well, and that is where the Everything You Need to Know About _______ Homework books from Scholastic are helpful. I actually own all 3 and can look things up there when I'm wondering about the relevance. When the program was developed they used those books as a concise collection of the important facts in those subjects. It's not perfect, but so far I haven't found a perfect curriculum or program.:)

I admire the Moms in CC who are able to take the CC Memory work and develop all their curriculum around it making all the memory work relevant, but I'm not able to do that. Instead I choose curriculum that overlaps as much as possible with the content of the cycle we are on. Over the years I've seen more and more of the memory work become relevant.

I'm less thrilled with the Essentials program especially the grammar portion. Next year I will have ds skip the Essentials grammar at home and do Rod & Staff grammar instead.

I wasn't impressed with the grammar section of essentials either. I could tell in the first class that I couldn't work with it, I stuck with it a few weeks because the tutor was so fantastic- I was hoping we could make it work somehow..but my dd was lost and felt dumb, and so did I. I decided if we wanted to go that deep into grammar, there were easier books/programs to use, such as Shurley grammar. I thought the essentials grammar book was impossible to use.

We're in our 2nd yr. I am a tutor this year. It's a great program all around and we have benefitted immensely.

Everything You Need to Know about _______ series is where most of the memory work comes from (as previously stated).

We're also completing our 2nd yr. of Ess. There is a steep learning curve for the course and the EEL guide but we have found that it is worth it. We took it easy the first year and did the amount of work we could do and understand. This year we built on it. I don't think a student is expected to be able to do all of the 6 tasks, for instance, their first year. That's way too much. Hopefully, there will be a revised EEL guide coming out at some point. Many parents have found it difficult to navigate.

We are done after this year after two years in CC. I was a Foundations Director and a Challenge A Director/Tutor.

Angela -

Why are you done? I've done CC at home in the past and had dropped it to do IEW poetry memorization this year. A friend of mine encouraged me to attend a CC open house a few weeks ago because I was looking for more social opportunities for my children. I really don't want to get back into the CC program again and honestly, the tutors seemed to be having a lot of trouble with classroom management the day I was there, but my kids did enjoy being around the other children. I thought it might be nice for my son to have a peer group to be with one day of the week once he gets to the challenge level, but I'm really not sure the curriculum will be right for us.

Anyway, I'd love to hear why you will no longer be doing the program. It might help me decide whether this is a road I want to take or not.

Thanks!

Lisa

I thought starting Essentials in 3rd would be too much but we'll have a beginner Essentials for and an Advanced class.

Child is currently doing Foundations. knows basic grammar, latin basics (noun endings & vocab), IEW unit 1 & 2 for 1-3 grade but no re-writing yet. would you enroll? or wait a year?

mulling it over

Angela -

the tutors seemed to be having a lot of trouble with classroom management

I know you didn't ask me, but I have to comment: This seems to be a chronic problem from all the classes I've seen, and I've participated in one campus (this year) and observed another one. And parents in the older grades at my campus said the same. We are not doing it next year, and this is one of the many reasons -- it is supposed to be a little like school, but it got REALLY chaotic on many class days. My dd enjoyed it overall, but I'd rather devote that day to other things (and we're doing a different twice a month type of co-op next year instead). I didn't want to bend all my curriculum around the CC stuff either, so that made it just extra. Good information, but extra.

Edited by monalisa
typo

My personal opinion is 3rd is too early regardless of ability. I started ds, who is considered gt, in 4th (it was our campus' first year). He will get what he needs after this year, which will be his 2nd yr. in Ess. I won't start my bright but more typical child till 4th. 4 yrs. is a long time to do Ess. I fear burnout. JMO.

I have a question about chaotic classrooms. I am currently tutoring and I have some very lively, strong personalities in my group. It took me a few classes to get my footing - after all, I'm a mom, not an experienced teacher. My take is if a child is getting out of hand, his mother, who is expected to attend class, should address the issue. I'm talking about big distractions, disrespect, or the efforts of the tutor to deal with the problem fail. The difficult thing is moms likely have more than one child so they may not be in the room. I have 6-8 kids on any given day and sometimes no moms. Mostly just one, maybe 2 if I'm lucky. I know it can't be totally on the parent's b/c they can't always be there. I'm doing what (sometimes) works and do my best to have frank discussions with the parents if there is a real problem. Most parents desire their children to behave and be respectful so they address the issue at home. Still, I have been known to break out in a sweat when I feel the class spiraling out of control but that hasn't happened in awhile.

I have a question about chaotic classrooms. I am currently tutoring and I have some very lively, strong personalities in my group. It took me a few classes to get my footing - after all, I'm a mom, not an experienced teacher. My take is if a child is getting out of hand, his mother, who is expected to attend class, should address the issue. I'm talking about big distractions, disrespect, or the efforts of the tutor to deal with the problem fail. The difficult thing is moms likely have more than one child so they may not be in the room. I have 6-8 kids on any given day and sometimes no moms. Mostly just one, maybe 2 if I'm lucky. I know it can't be totally on the parent's b/c they can't always be there. I'm doing what (sometimes) works and do my best to have frank discussions with the parents if there is a real problem. Most parents desire their children to behave and be respectful so they address the issue at home. Still, I have been known to break out in a sweat when I feel the class spiraling out of control but that hasn't happened in awhile.

Your director should have a set of rules WRT classroom behavior, what is expected, consequences, and how the parents are to be involved. I have to say that while ours is not a perfect program, we don't have a lot of issues with behavior. The only exception is the 6/7 yr olds (of which 2 are mine :D). We use the card turning system and that has worked pretty well. Last year I was a tutor, (8/9) had 5 students and only once did I need to involve a parent. [minor issue too.] Yes the parents need to spread out and in the case of our 6/7 class this year, almost all the parents are tutors or directors, but I expect to be informed of any ill behavior and if my kids think its silly to pay attention and be respectful or that the class is boring, well . . . it has to be better than standing in a Challenge A classroom. :D [sorry for the long run on. I'm still working on that. :tongue_smilie:

Anyway, all I am trying to say really is, you have a right to expect the kids to behave. A right to get your director and the child's parent involved. I would expect nothing less of any tutor for my children.

HTH some.

There are a few issues here.

1.) No tutor should ever be alone with students. There should be one parent in each classroom minimum. All parents must be in some classroom at all times, but each should have one assigned on a rotating basis.

2.) Parents sometimes don't understand the dynamic, and so they don't act when their own dc misbehaves. I trained Foundations tutors in our state this past year, and this was one thing we spent a lot of time on. The tutor sometimes needs to give the parent verbal permission to step in, so that they don't feel that they are interrupting class. A quick, "Johnny, I think your mom needs to take you in the hall," should work.

3.) If a child is consistently misbehaving, that parent should be observing that child each week until they get it under control.

4.) There should preferably be a consistent discipline policy on campus, so that parents don't have to remember each tutor's method. The Director should set the tone and talk about it in the morning meeting.

5.) If a mom won't deal with the behavior, involve the Director. Her campus will fail if the classrooms are unruly, so she will want to be involved.

Angela -

Why are you done? I've done CC at home in the past and had dropped it to do IEW poetry memorization this year. A friend of mine encouraged me to attend a CC open house a few weeks ago because I was looking for more social opportunities for my children. I really don't want to get back into the CC program again and honestly, the tutors seemed to be having a lot of trouble with classroom management the day I was there, but my kids did enjoy being around the other children. I thought it might be nice for my son to have a peer group to be with one day of the week once he gets to the challenge level, but I'm really not sure the curriculum will be right for us.

Anyway, I'd love to hear why you will no longer be doing the program. It might help me decide whether this is a road I want to take or not.

Thanks!

Lisa

There are too many reasons to go into here, but one is that the Challenge program isn't in line with what we want in high school.

My personal opinion is 3rd is too early regardless of ability. I started ds, who is considered gt, in 4th (it was our campus' first year). He will get what he needs after this year, which will be his 2nd yr. in Ess. I won't start my bright but more typical child till 4th. 4 yrs. is a long time to do Ess. I fear burnout. JMO.

Thanks so much. The 4 years comment puts it all in perspective.

I did CC for two years, the second of which i tutored. we still do VP memory work and the kids still sing the songs and we use the skip counting concepts, but because i couldn't use it as a spine (my style of teaching doesn't flow with theirs--WTM is a perfect fit for us), it became a VERY EXPENSIVE PLAYDATE.

i have friends for whom CC works perfectly. I guess i have too strong of an independent streak.

Set the tone and establish your expectations.

(In our other co-op this drives me crazy - which is why I may not return.)

Our CC is very structured the kids try but are quickly reeled back in.

Parents need to be supportive. Maybe host a parent meeting just to address these issues.

But definitely talk to your director to handle this.

CC is not cheap and time is money. They are squandering your time and not acknowledging or respecting the investment and committment that others have made so they and their peers can attend CC every week!!

Chaos drives me up a wall.

(The backed up laundry is bad enough but behavior issues...)

Children observe one another and our responses to questionable behavior. Any perception that they can get away with it will encourage others to behave this way too.

Then you've got a mutiny on your hands and it's harder to correct it.

We participated in a CC group this year for Essentials. I have been substitute tutoring as well. I will be a tutor next year.

We have truly enjoyed it! It had been to get our feet wet so to speak. My daughter started it at 4, so we did it for some practice sitting, some social aspects, and so she could pickup some things. I really don't care if she memorizes anything now. What she does memorize is a bonus--lol!

She also had two different tutors this year and agree that who the tutor is makes a BIG difference.

Our discipline policy is clearly stated in the handbook thankfully. We have a full campus and I think, overall, we don't have discipline issues. I just happen to have a class of very lively, energetic, strong, diverse personalities.;) I learned from my mistakes early on and got good advice from other tutors. We are still a lively bunch but with more structure. We have a discipline system that the children understand and I remind after one warning (with my most busy students) that light at the end of the road is the director going to get their parent.

I agree tutors should not be alone w/a class. First, the door remains open on those days - for safety assurances. I would love if we could make sure that it never happened but it does. Maybe twice in the 21 wks so far? I have several children whose parents tutor along with other moms who have 4+ children. The main problems are - mom could be in another class or she could be one of the 4 nursery workers we require since we have so many young ones.

Good advice from other posters. Thank you. The best advice for a new tutor (as someone else mentioned) set the tone the FIRST DAY! I made a big mistake b/c I wanted them to have fun. It turned into children going wild. The more we sang, the more arm motions we did, ugh... I just didn't know:001_huh: I've got the hang of it now and am looking forward to tutoring next year.

I know you didn't ask me, but I have to comment: This seems to be a chronic problem from all the classes I've seen, and I've participated in one campus (this year) and observed another one. Any parents in the older grades at my campus said the same. We are not doing it next year, and this is one of the many reasons -- it is supposed to be a little like school, but it got REALLY chaotic on many class days. My dd enjoyed it overall, but I'd rather devote that day to other things (and we're doing a different twice a month type of co-op next year instead). I didn't want to bend all my curriculum around the CC stuff either, so that made it just extra. Good information, but extra.

In the class my daughter was in the first part of the year, I found this problem. I think it was a mix of the tutor, the group size, the ages, and the personalities of the students. After our winter break, the director had remedied this. A new tutor was brought in and took on some of the younger students. They split the more energetic students between the classes as well. Also, the new tutor had been a tutor for 3 years and was formerly a teacher. She really has great skills keeping the children interested and focused. She also knows how to get the class back on track if they begin to go astray.

In addition to the tutors, I have to say parent participation is key in helping to maintain order in the room. Unless a mother is tutoring or helping in childcare, then she is in the room with her child. I know in our group, it is very helpful if the parent steps in to redirect their child if they get off course while the tutor is tutoring. Often a problem arises if the parent is not in the room with their child and they are on the young side.

Overwhelmingly CC has been a positive experience for us thus far. The mothers are a great encouragement to each other. The program, at least for us, is a fun way to supplement our (because I learn as well) learning experience. It is a lovely way for mother and child(ren) to make connections. CC gives direction and a measure of accountability to your home work. It has many benefits in addition to the ones I have listed, but I should wrap this up ;)

I imagine it may be a different experience as my daughter gets older and we take the memorization more serious. Also as we incorporates various curricula into our daily learning, focusing heavily on the CC materials may be a challenge. It can certainly be rigorous and I am not sure if it will continue to work as a supplement to different more central curricula.

Edited by FlutterbyMommy

I know you didn't ask me, but I have to comment: This seems to be a chronic problem from all the classes I've seen, and I've participated in one campus (this year) and observed another one. Any parents in the older grades at my campus said the same. We are not doing it next year, and this is one of the many reasons -- it is supposed to be a little like school, but it got REALLY chaotic on many class days. My dd enjoyed it overall, but I'd rather devote that day to other things (and we're doing a different twice a month type of co-op next year instead). I didn't want to bend all my curriculum around the CC stuff either, so that made it just extra. Good information, but extra.

Thanks for your comment. This thread has been really helpful for me. I never felt it was worth spending such a huge chunk of one of our days learning the memory work. I did the program at home for years and I'm over it. I was only interested for the social reasons. I was wondering if what I observed in the class I attended was typical or it was just an off day. Of course, my kids thoroughly enjoyed themselves and if they formed friendships and continued to love it, it might be worth it to me. It's just so hard to know whether it's just a novelty that will wear off quickly or not.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

Honestly, I think a tutor has to really gear their approach to their age group. . . . The tutor MUST be creative, be comfortable with the role, and have strategies for handling issues.

Overwhelmingly CC has been a positive experience for us thus far. The mothers are a great encouragement to each other. The program, at least for us, is a fun way to supplement our (because I learn as well) learning experience. It is a lovely way for mother and child(ren) to make connections. CC gives direction and a measure of accountability to your home work. It has many benefits in addition to the ones I have listed, but I should wrap this up ;)

I imagine it may be a different experience as my daughter gets older and we take the memorization more serious. Also as we incorporates various curricula into our daily learning, focusing heavily on the CC materials may be a challenge. It can certainly be rigorous and I am not sure if it will continue to work as a supplement to different more central curricula.

Thanks for your comments. The tutor can CERTAINLY make a difference! I'm sure most of us can recall a time when we haven't had the world's best boss, or coach, or teacher. It matters! For those of you who have been dissatisfied with your child's tutor, I hope you will still consider CC again.

CC provides an amazing opportunity to learn alongside your children -- and other parents. Everyone participates. There is something special about being part of a campus where everyone, regardless of grade, learns the same things.

Hi-I just joined the Hive Mind and the CC group forum, nice to have all these postings to glean from. I have been involved with a CC group for 6 years now. I have one in Foundations and Essentials and one in Challenge A. I have tutored in the past and am just assisting as needed now.

Although I have some issues with CC, overall it is VERY beneficial to us.

I think the opportunity each child has for a little 'public speaking' is excellent. I also love the fine arts portions, studying the composers and great artists. These are things I would love to do on my own, but are too easy to 'schedule out'. Also, it helps to have a 'deadline' date to have things memorized.

CC was also my first exposure to Classical Christian education, and seeing how other families are fleshing that out.

I also think CC draws a lot of wonderful families to the program. Our closest friends are the ones we have made through CC, and for that I am extremely grateful.

This is our first year in CC. We've loved it and plan to do it all the way through Foundations. I do not plan to do Essentials (I am going to use a progym approach rather than IEW) and I'm probably not going to enroll our children in Challenge once they get there either.

We do, however, love Foundations. I am amazed at what my kids have learned and love the framework of knowledge they are building. I love that this information will be at their fingertips when they get to later years of study and are ready to integrate/anyalyze, etc. I love that they do art projects and science experiments and presentations. I love that both of my kids already know more about geography than I did by much older. I love that it's given all of us some friendships among like-minded families - something we needed. For us, CC has been a wonderful discovery.

I'm the Foundations director of our community and tutor an Apprentices class. CC is pretty new to Missouri (only the second year) and I pretty much had to direct in order to have a community close enough to use to make it worth it. I've enjoyed it though.