Menu

Classical Conversations Roll Call!

Aloha2U

My children enjoy it and enjoy learning the same thing in their different classes and talking about what they learned.

I don't love everything about it, but we've moved 6 times since my daughter was born and will move again this summer. Most of the places we're likely to move have a CC. It's so much easier to find a CC class than a nice co-op or likeminded homeschool group that is a good fit, it takes a while to find. I found a nice group here, but we only found it recently, it took almost a year to find it and now it's almost time to move again.

CC groups advertise their locations. Most smaller groups that I would like better do not.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been in it for years. I think it's been 5 years.

I too have issues with somethings. It's not perfect and that used to bother me a lot. I almost didn't come back after the first year. But I was talking to a friend who said she loved it despite it's issues because the only other option was to create her own program. She said I am not willing to do that, and then if it's perfect for me, it won't be perfect for you. That really gave me perspective.

And I sat down and thought through some of the things that annoyed me.

I set out to learn why on certain things to see if I could live with them. The first being the seemingly random memory work. I learned that there are reasons for the seemingly random memory work. None of it is really random - don't ask the questions like that on their forum. Ask your director, have her ask her SM etc.

I think if you don't want to do memory work, Foundations isn't a this is the wrong program for you. We consider memory work highly important. The other stuff is good too, but the heart of the Foundations program is that memory work. The public speaking and other components are good as well.

The group really makes a difference. I find it comes down to experience. Don't hesitate to help make your group better. I am very grateful to the contributions veteran homeschool moms have made to make our program amazing!

Chaotic classes can be corrected - talk to your director. Directors and tutors are all just parents doing their best - help them make it better!

I love Essentials - as a mom with a big kid who has completed Essentials. I am sold. I struggled a lot at first to understand it. That first 6 weeks nearly kicked my rear! But it got better and easier. Our second year was great. I have learned so much. I still have a long way to go, but my oldest has done so well. She has such a great grasp on grammar it's incredible. I think Essentials is my favorite program. But it took me understanding IEW and EEL to like it. I love it!

Challenge - I like the concept of it, but the tutor and kids/families really make or break it. There is a lot more oversight and control with F/E IMO because more parents are on site than in Challenge. We take Challenge a year at a time.