Menu

Microwaves - do you use yours or have you tossed it out?

Our microwave began having problems (for example, the turn table wouldn't always turn so plastic dishes were melting) and we chose to toss it. We replaced it with a toaster oven.

The toaster oven is great except you cannot cook frozen dinners in it without removing the food from the original packaging and putting it on something else. We also purchased a hot air popcorn popper. I adore my new popcorn popper. The kernels are so much bigger and fluffier than microwave popcorn. There are never any overcooked bags or burnt popcorn odors.

We never really used our microwave unless we were making popcorn or reheating leftovers. I can do those things without the worry of the hazards of the microwave.

Hi, Molly: We took ours out of the kitchen last summer when 'you know who' began saying things that made me think we should not be using it.

We survived wonderfully without it, didn't miss it at all, and learned how to re-do things like defrosting, popcorn, boiling water (me), etc.

Since we moved back into our house, our stove has died (:svengo:) and we did have to bring the nmicrowave back to the kitchen. Our new appliances arrive one week from tomorrow --:hurray: -- and the microwave is going away for good.

I am not afraid to put it out the door this time as we were able to do perfectly fine without it prior to our little 'water' mishap.

Hope you are doing well -- good to see you here!:grouphug:

You wouldn't say that if you had smelled charred Rubbermaid!

:toetap05: We are not going to hi-jack Molly's thread (we are just bumping it with words)........and Glade is now making a 'charred Rubbermaid' scented plug-in for those of us no longer using microwaves but wanting the 'ambience' of one.:D

Molly: dd and her dh got rid of theirs in their efforts to totally 'clean' their lives -- she said something about 'no one really knows what it is doing to our food' -- it wasn't a biggie for me to decide we could do without it -- suffice to say, it was the jumping off point for many anti-clean up your diet discussions among other members of the family.

While I can't actually toss mine .. (its built in, and I'm in an apartment) I rarely use it. It is currently my hiding place for Mommy yummy stuff. (treats I don't want the boys getting into or seeing) I only use it for food about once a mth or so. However if I could, I would throw it out entirely also.

Here is some reading on the why :

http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/microwave-ovens-the-proven-dangers.html

http://www.cancersalves.com/articles/Microwave.html

There are many many reasons why using a micowave for food is bad.

And I have chosen to forgo the convenience for the peace of mind in knowing my boys are not being exposed to the dangers it causes.

HTH,

We only use ours to heat up leftovers, heat up cold coffee and cook potatoes---so we'll take our chances. We don't cook anything in plastic anymore----but then again BEFORE everyone was told how bad it was to cook in plastic etc.---we did and probably had enough years of dosage that I just have to shrug my shoulders.

It's a pretty slippery slope getting rid of appliances that could be dangerous over the long haul----for instance, how about all the EMF's given off by pretty much ALL of our electric appliances and things plugged in the house? What about radio waves floating around us continually? Too much to comprehend. A few 'nuked' items here and there can't be adding THAT much more to our already toxic lives, can it? :001_huh:

spit-the-dummy.jpg:smilielol5: I almost spit coffee at the computer -- THAT was pretty funny, you know.:D

This forum really needs to have a warning as a sticky advising members not to drink and read. :lol:

When I burst out laughing, my family knows what forum I'm likely on. :tongue_smilie: I have to time my sips carefully ...

We've been w/o a microwave since shortly after Christmas. We have an oven and a rice steamer and that's all we needed. Only once have a longed for a microwave, when I had the flu (which became pneumonia) and my grandmother brought over Kid Cuisines for the boys -- I had to heat them in the oven.

It's a pretty slippery slope getting rid of appliances that could be dangerous over the long haul----for instance, how about all the EMF's given off by pretty much ALL of our electric appliances and things plugged in the house? What about radio waves floating around us continually? Too much to comprehend. A few 'nuked' items here and there can't be adding THAT much more to our already toxic lives, can it? :001_huh:

Our paper today had an article about the dangers of cell phones.

We're still going to use ours.

When ours got old... I got rid of it and told everyone no. I find that things warm quickly in an oven or a pan... and I didn't want another one. I may get a small convection oven someday. (We have one in our oven... which is old... and when it dies, we will get an oven with convection...for sure!)

:)

We don't own the microwave here [rental, appliances belong to the LL] ~ but even if we did, I don't see us tossing it. We use it all the time for reheating leftovers [way faster than the oven], warming up cold cups of coffee, melting butter for whatever, cooking frozen dinners, all that. I've never heard tell of microwaves being "dangerous", but since there's always *something* new that's gonna kill us, I'm not surprised. :tongue_smilie:

I had stopped using mine and when we built a new house we did not order one for the kitchen. I have not missed it. On the other hand, I could not function without my large toaster oven.

When the kitchen was being put back together after the water damage, the electrician, contractor, and heaven only knows who else, were all emailing DH and me in a panic b/c none of them knew where the 'power' for the microwave should be placed. microwaving-emoticon.gif

We emailed them back that we don't use a microwave and didn't need a place for one -- so then they all started calling us on the phone to confirm that this was indeed the case - no microwave? thumb_smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-static-024.gif

That sort of cemented in their heads that we were nut jobs - really.spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifcrazysmiley.gif

I use it only for cooking morning oatmeal (actually quite good if you use thick-cut oats) when I've forgotten to soak steel cut oats the night before. A couple years ago we purchased an infra-red toaster oven (Panasonic), and love, love, love it. It needs no pre-heating time, and makes great baked potatoes.

What do you do to reheat a cup of tea? I can see how to get by without a microwave for everything else....just not my large cup of tea that I seem to reheat all day long.

:bigear:

I have a 4 cup teapot. I love it. It's my little kitchen friend. That and my little hand-me-down 8 inch cast iron skillet that smiles at me every morning. :D

Do you mean an electric one?

How do y'all make steamed frozen veggies?[/QUOTE]

I think that those are amazing as far as convenience, but I am concerned about cooking food in a bag made out of..........what?............I'm asking b/c I don't know what the bag is made of --

When we get our new range (it's really nice :001_wub:) I cannot wait to start cooking like a normal person again -- for a week or two at least. Then, it's back to TAKE OUT! :auto: :lol:

LOL, okay, how specifically do they turn out nice and crunchy like the microwave kind?:bigear:

Steamed frozen veg that is crunchy? Maybe we are not talking about the same thing.

Tea: Good Earth tea actually tastes better to me when it gets cold. Otherwise I mostly drink my tea pretty fast. I drink TONS of tea during the day, mostly yogi teas, Good Earth and one pomegranate berry tea that is yum.

We haven't used the microwave for food (or water boiling) in years. I do have a small one though for heating up my rice or buckwheat hot pads. I'd love to get rid of the microwave altogether but I can't think of another way to heat those efficiently.

We haven't used the microwave for food (or water boiling) in years. I do have a small one though for heating up my rice or buckwheat hot pads. I'd love to get rid of the microwave altogether but I can't think of another way to heat those efficiently.

I still have one but don't use it. I rather be wrong about not using it than using it and find out I should not have. It's different for everyone. Those who never had anything major happening (medically) may well laugh and say we are nuts but those who have to live with the fear of something bad recurring probably gladly avoid it.

What do you do to reheat a cup of tea? I can see how to get by without a microwave for everything else....just not my large cup of tea that I seem to reheat all day long.

:bigear:

You could buy one of those plug in warmers you sit your mug on?

We use ours only for reheating coffee and occasionally defrosting meat.

I never make vegetables in it. We have a little steamer thing that goes into a stock pot or sauce pot and you pour the veggies on top of it, the little bit of water in the bottom under the steamer steams the veggies.

If you've tossed yours, please tell me why? I'm hearing that they are not good for us and am trying to make a decision.

Thanks,

Molly

This is why I've never had one. Since I can cook fine with a convential stove and oven, I chose not to have a microwave and don't regret it. Dh would like one, but I point out how crowded our counters already are and that helps me "win" that one ;). I don't like the way the cook things, anyway.

How do y'all make steamed frozen veggies?

use a steamer & a large pot; fill until water is just touching bottom of steamer; put lid on and heat to boiling; add frozen veggies (buy the kind in the reg. bags, not those special "cook in the microwave & costs much more" bags :)); put lid on & reduce heat to med-high; check after about 10 min to see if they are how you like it...

Tea: Good Earth tea actually tastes better to me when it gets cold. Otherwise I mostly drink my tea pretty fast. I drink TONS of tea during the day, mostly yogi teas, Good Earth and one pomegranate berry tea that is yum.

Snickerdoodle, where do you buy the Good Earth tea? We had seen it at Costco in California, but it's not available in the ones we've been in on the east coast. I have seen it at Trader Joe's, but it's just the small box.

Thank you! :001_smile:

Snickerdoodle' date=' where do you buy the Good Earth tea? We had seen it at Costco in California, but it's not available in the ones we've been in on the east coast. I have seen it at Trader Joe's, but it's just the small box.

[/quote']

Amazon.com

Seriously. Our grocery doesn't carry it either.

I use it only for cooking morning oatmeal (actually quite good if you use thick-cut oats) when I've forgotten to soak steel cut oats the night before. A couple years ago we purchased an infra-red toaster oven (Panasonic), and love, love, love it. It needs no pre-heating time, and makes great baked potatoes.

Wait a sec. I'm supposed to soak steel cut oats?

I looked at pictures taken by a hs family as they were doing an experiment. They had two starter plants, both the same size and started watering one with microwaved water, the other with tap water. They watered them both a small amount every day. In 10 days the one on tap water was flourishing, the one on microwaved water was........dead.

We got rid of ours. I spend a lot of money each month feeding my family as near organic as I can and then I am going to microwave it? NOT!

It took a bit of a learning curve but I learned how to get along without it and I haven't regretted it nor looked back.

My dd WILL NOT eat something warmed up in a mic.

use a steamer & a large pot; fill until water is just touching bottom of steamer; put lid on and heat to boiling; add frozen veggies (buy the kind in the reg. bags, not those special "cook in the microwave & costs much more" bags :)); put lid on & reduce heat to med-high; check after about 10 min to see if they are how you like it...

:iagree:, I also use a double boiler for some of the more delicate veggies that should be gently tossed and not stirred.

I don't let my chai sit around long enough to cool down. :)

Thanks for the suggestions.:) My mom always microwaves everything, so I didn't know.;)

Tossed mine years ago.

And when staying with relatives will unplug theirs if I can.

HATE them.

If you are going to microwave your food - you might as well just eat hot dogs all day long cooked on the stove.....it would be better!!!!!!!!!!

Water boils almost as fast in an enclosed container on the stove by the way. I fail to see why everyone is soooooo into them. EWWWWW.

(And will admit that I use them elsewhere....but only about 6 times OR LESS a year).