Menu

I have HAD it with being overweight!!

I am tired of feeling unhealthy and I am REALLY tired of not being able to wear the clothes I like because I can't fit in them! I have a pretty significant amount of weight to lose and most of it is in the belly area. Probably from having 3 kids back to back without giving myself the chance to lose the weight. I have been at the same weight for over a year and a half now. I really don't think the problem is food, we eat fairly healthy. I figure that if what I were eating was the problem I would be gaining weight, not staying the same. I have made several half hearted attempts at starting to exercise over the last year and a half but I haven't stuck with them. I think that exercise is going to be the key to weight loss for me. :glare: I am going to have to learn to love it. I would really love to see some good results within about a month though, not like 25 pounds or anything, but would 8-10 pounds be too much to ask for? Walking is not going to cut it unfortunately. I am finally ticked off enough at myself for allowing this to happen that I'm going to do something about it! Does anyone have some great advice for me, especially concerning exercise? This was a bit of a rant, sorry!:o

Laura

Probably not what you want to hear, but I don't think that exercise is all that helpful with losing weight. I've believed this for a long time, and recently saw a study or article published on this as well (for example here and here).

I think eating far less (even healthy foods) is the key. I have lost 35+ pounds twice in my life by only eating when my body was physically hungry (an obvious empty feeling or even a growl), then eating only until satisfied (not stuffed) when it was time to eat, and repeating this over and over again. If I just start to feel hungry near bedtime, I'll ignore it and go to bed. My body will "feast" on the extra fat over night for its energy -- instead of the food in my tummy -- which works great!

I'm not saying exercise has no benefit -- certainly it does! It can and does strengthen our bodies, improve our brain function, etc. But it takes SO MUCH exercise to burn a couple hundred calories from overeating a candy bar, you know? I don't see how it's possible to lose a bunch of weight just from exercising -- not in any kind of fashion that will encourage one to keep going with it anyway. In fact one of the articles I read tells of a doctor who realized his patients on bed rest lost more weight when than those who were exercising (presumably those on bed rest were eating less)! That was what he called his "a-ha! moment." Now if you combine it with eating far less, it will quicken it a bit. But the way I described above, you'll just get hungrier sooner so you'll eat a little more.

There's a book called Thin Within (it's from a Christian perspective) that talks about all this.

Edited by milovaný

I have joined the website www.sparkspeople.com and love it. It helps me track my calories, track when I work out, has recipes, motivating articles, and is kind of fun. I got the point where I was feeling the same way you are! After a few weeks of watching my calories and jogging (yuck!) I'm starting to feel better, my pants fit again, and I'm motivated to keep going.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I don't think that exercise is all that helpful with losing weight. I've believed this for a long time, and recently saw a study or article published on this as well.

I think eating far less (even healthy foods) is the key. I have lost 35+ pounds twice in my life by only eating when my body was physically hungry (an obvious empty feeling or even a growl), then eating only until satisfied (not stuffed) when it was time to eat, and repeating this over and over again. If I just start to feel hungry near bedtime, I'll ignore it and go to bed. My body will "feast" on the extra fat over night for its energy -- instead of the food in my tummy -- which works great!

I'm not saying exercise has no benefit -- certainly it does! It can and does strengthen our bodies. But it takes SO MUCH exercise to burn a couple hundred calories from overeating a candy bar, you know? I don't see how it's possible to lose a bunch of weight just from exercising -- not in any kind of fashion that will encourage one to keep going with it anyway. Now if you combine it with eating far less, it will quicken it a bit. But the way I described above, you'll just get hungrier sooner so you'll eat a little more.

There's a book called Thin Within (it's from a Christian perspective) that talks about all this.

I think the combination of eating less and healthier along with exercise is the best. I agree that exercise alone won't do it. I have been exercising an hour at a time 3-5 days a week, but did not change my eating habits and nothing changed. When I counted calories and exercised I maximized my weight loss at a healthy rate. Of course, that was then, this is now and I need to start over.:tongue_smilie:

Fewer calories in than out is the only real way to lose. If you are not exercising at all, your calories need to reflect it. You may eat good food, but too much of it. Have you tried keeping a food journal? You might be surprised at how many calories you're eating (I know I was!) Don't starve yourself, though; that's one of the worst mistakes people make. Your body will think it needs to hold onto its fat reserves, and you'll never lose weight. Try eating six small meals a day, something every two hours to keep your metabolism revved. Can you bike or swim? Both are good fat burners if you can't walk. Good luck!

Edited by Mejane

Probably not what you want to hear, but I don't think that exercise is all that helpful with losing weight. I've believed this for a long time, and recently saw a study or article published on this as well.

I think I have to disagree with this statement. Or maybe say that its not true for some but not all people.

When we lived in Florida I was much more active, walking on a daily basis, and was thinner with less effort. I also went running in the morning until I sprained my neck. I gained weight almost immediately after stopping running.

I don't eat a lot and yet I didn't really get much of my baby weight off from #3. I'm planning to get more exercise after I have this baby in April and get the baby weight off from both #3 and #4.

I already eat healthier than the average person and don't overeat. I refuse to believe that 25lbs overweight for my height is the thinnest I can be.

I don't believe that just exercising will cause one to lose weight, or just eating less. I think a healthy combination of both is necessary.

Edited by Dawn in OH
Left out a though

I think I have to disagree with this statement.

The point, sorry if I wasn't clearer, was exercise alone. Yes, it can help some to add exercise into the mix, but I do think you can cut out far more calories by eating less than you can burn up calories by exercising more. I could easily cut 400-600 calories from diet each day by eating less, but would have to walk at a very brisk pace (4.0 mph) for 2-2.5 hours every day to equal that.

I know I'm speaking unconventionally -- that's fine! I did lose 35+ pounds once just by eating as described above with NO exercise. I also did it once WITH exercise but I'm convinced the exercise (while it made me feel better to be sure!) didn't increase my weight loss amount or decrease the time it took to come off.

Edited by milovaný

I used to be a certified aerobics instructor, so I guess that makes me an "expert," huh? :001_smile:

I'm surprised to hear people say that exercise doesn't make much difference. I think it makes a big difference. I walked a lot with my first two babies, ate whatever I wanted, and both times I was back in my jeans within five months. (Of course, maybe that was due to breastfeeding ...)

However, I will say that aerobic exercise alone sometimes doesn't work miracles. Combining weights and aerobics will give your metabolism a swift kick, and contour your body somewhat as well. Try doing some weights (start with 5 pound dumbells) a couple times a weight, and that will make a difference!

I highly recommend http://www.videofitness.com. It has a section for beginners, video reviews, and a video exchange section. (Several reviews are written by me!) I have been working out exclusively with videos for over a decade, and have saved TONS of money and time by not going to a gym.

As far as eating: one thing that helps me is that I have a personal rule: No eating after 7:30 pm.

There is also a quick, but very helpful book out there called something like "Seven Secrets of Slim people"

Good luck!

I lost 45 pounds from a combination of eating better and exercise. It happened when we figured out my oldest was allergic to dairy. Out when the high calorie, high fat milk, cheese, ice cream, and sauces. In came the fresh veggies, fruits, and lean meats not smothered in gravies. I also walked 3 miles almost every day with her in a backpack (it was summer).

Now my youngest is allergic to dairy so I'm back to healthier eating. She's 7 1/2 months old and I've lost the 17 pounds I gained when pregnant and an additional 22 pounds. I've plateaued so I need to add in some moderate exercise. If I didn't have four kids, one of them too young to walk that far, and had the time, I'd go back to walking every day.

I prefer walking because I've found that heavier exercise makes me hungry, and I gain, rather than lose, weight.

To the OP, my advice (if you want to add exercise) is to WALK -- outside if possible, not inside on a treadmill. I feel great after a 30 minute brisk walk, but if all you can fit in is a brisk walk around the block 3-4 times a day that's great too! And do add in strength training at a different time (at home or at the gym; not carrying weights when you walk). HTH!

The point, sorry if I wasn't clearer, was exercise alone. Yes, it can help some to add exercise into the mix, but I do think you can cut out far more calories by eating less than you can burn up calories by exercising more. I could easily cut 400-600 calories from diet each day by eating less, but would have to walk at a very brisk pace (4.0 mph) for 2-2.5 hours every day to equal that.

I agree Milovany. I wasn't trying to be difficult. A combination of a healthy diet and exercise are both required. I know from experience that simply cutting back on food intake alone doesn't work.

I know with my current diet (as in lifestyle not an actual diet) I really can't cut back any more calories without going into starvation mode. The only thing that could help me at this point is an increase in activity.

Probably not what you want to hear, but I don't think that exercise is all that helpful with losing weight.

I lost 20 lbs last summer through exercising alone, no dietary restrictions what so ever. Seriously, I ate ice cream practically every night (and not a small bowl either.)

Exercise will keep your metabolism up for a while even when you're done. Muscle takes more energy to maintain than fat, thus raising your metabolism.

I think everyone has to find what works for them. For example, when I tried cutting back on food intake and not exercising, I went into starvation mode and my body held on to every ounce of fat.

Now I'm eating healthier, still exercising, and continuing to slowly lose weight. I think the best combination for most people is to eat slightly fewer calories and exersize a bit. But everyone is different.

I agree with keeping a food diary. It really is amazing how many calories you can consume, even when you aren't eating junk. Counting calories works better for me than exercising (because when I exercise a lot I develop an insatiable appetite and it's hard not to devour everything in sight :lol:)

You may want to read Eat to Live - he advocates a lower-calorie diet that is high in nutrient rich foods.

I agree Milovany. I wasn't trying to be difficult. A combination of a healthy diet and exercise are both required. I know from experience that simply cutting back on food intake alone doesn't work.

I know with my current diet (as in lifestyle not an actual diet) I really can't cut back any more calories without going into starvation mode. The only thing that could help me at this point is an increase in activity.

And I, too, am not trying to be difficult! Thanks for that and for understanding. So remember that as I say something I had said above in reply (:D) -- I think people can lose weight without exercising, and that some studies are proving this. I've done it and know people who have done it. My body doesn't go into "starvation mode" -- it just loses the extra weight and uses the extra fat for fuel as needed. My stomach also shrinks as I take in less food, and once I'm down to a natural weight, I get hungrier a little more often (and I maintain the loss by continuing the same eating pattern). If I exercise, it's for other great health benefits -- but it's not for weight loss.

Also, as I said above, not everyone will agree and that's fine! But it IS possible to be sure.

I recommend starting the exercise habit first--either walk for a minimum of 30 minutes (ideally each day) or something else you prefer. There is something about exercise that gives you momentum and the desire to take it to the next level (i.e., watch your portions, eat healthier, etc.). And do some weight-bearing exercise, even if it's just your own body weight...the extra muscle will burn more calories at rest. But at some point, you will probably have to refine your diet further. We can all make improvements, whether it be in nutrition level or portions.

I really like Jillian Michael's 30-Day Shred. It's a circuit training approach--2 minutes of strength work with hand weights, 2 minutes of cardio, and 1 minute abs (repeated 3 times, plus warm-up and cool-down). The total workout is about 25 minutes. It's intense but doable. I feel great when I'm doing it. And I can really see results. You could buy the DVD, or if you want to try it out, Comcast's On Demand has it.

I recommend starting the exercise habit first--either walk for a minimum of 30 minutes (ideally each day) or something else you prefer. There is something about exercise that gives you momentum and the desire to take it to the next level (i.e., watch your portions, eat healthier, etc.).

THIS is why I exercise every morning. It helps me get into "healthy mode" for the rest of my day. Also, I personally think I can tell the difference between someone who lost weight through diet alone, and someone who lost weight using exercise (either combined with diet or not). The diet-alone people tend to look a little "softer" than the ones who exercise, IMO.

Also, there are a lot more benefits to exercise than just weightloss. Heart health, bone health, etc. are all improved through regular exercise. :)

To the OP -- I'm sorry for sharing my suggestions/opinion so early on and then having the thread turn into "diet vs. exercise" discussion instead of the one you'd hoped for (looking for ideas for *you*). It was only my intent to share my experience in this area in reply to your question. In answer to another question you asked, yes, I did lose 8-10 lbs in the first month by changing my lifestyle and eating the way I did. I lost the entire 35 lbs within 2-3 months and kept it off until I got pregnant again. It felt so good!

Edited by milovaný

To the OP -- I'm sorry for sharing my suggestions/opinion so early on and then having the thread turn into "diet vs. exercise" discussion instead of the one you'd hoped for (looking for ideas for *you*). It was only my intent to share my experience in this area in reply to your question. In answer to another question you asked, yes, I did lose 8-10 lbs in the first month by changing my lifestyle and eating the way I did. I lost the entire 35 lbs within 2-3 months and kept it off until I got pregnant again. It felt so good!

I am curious to know about how many calories you were eating a day to lose 35# in 2-3 months.

I am tired of feeling unhealthy and I am REALLY tired of not being able to wear the clothes I like because I can't fit in them! I have a pretty significant amount of weight to lose and most of it is in the belly area. Probably from having 3 kids back to back without giving myself the chance to lose the weight. I have been at the same weight for over a year and a half now. I really don't think the problem is food, we eat fairly healthy. I figure that if what I were eating was the problem I would be gaining weight, not staying the same. I have made several half hearted attempts at starting to exercise over the last year and a half but I haven't stuck with them. I think that exercise is going to be the key to weight loss for me. :glare: I am going to have to learn to love it. I would really love to see some good results within about a month though, not like 25 pounds or anything, but would 8-10 pounds be too much to ask for? Walking is not going to cut it unfortunately. I am finally ticked off enough at myself for allowing this to happen that I'm going to do something about it! Does anyone have some great advice for me, especially concerning exercise? This was a bit of a rant, sorry!:o

Laura

I totally sympathize with you. I have about 35 pounds to lose and am a stress eater. 6 kids=stress. I need to diet and walk just to get some exercise in my life. I have a brand new hi-tech treadmill downstairs but can't get the time t get on it w/o all the kids coming down.I have to go low carb b/c I crave them when I have them.

My friends who have had the most success with weight loss have had some form of support system.

Whether from a formal organization like

WW, Sparks, Nutrisystem, JC ...

or just getting some friends together and motivating each other on. Having someone that you are accountable to can really help someone stay on a diet. Having someone to commiserate with and someone to cheer with.

What worked for me was to keep a food diary to keep track of my caloric intake. I was shocked to see how out of control my portions were, thus my calories. I was eating fairly healthy, but I was eating 2-3 times what I actually needed to eat. I also added in 30-40 min of exercise a day, this is something I really had to make time to do. You can do it, it just takes some effort! Oh, and make sure you have someone behind you to support you in this, because there will be days when you want to quit.

Have you seen the Eclipsed blog? She's working on losing 100 lbs and shares what she's learning through the journey. So far she's about a third of the way to her goal.

I agree with many of the other posters....calorie tracking is a MUST!!! I started using the Lose It app on my Ipod to input my calories. Wow...I was shocked at how high some things I thought were healthy were in calories. Oh, and I was also shocked at how small portion sizes are "supposed" to be compared to what I was actually eating! What an eye opener. If you don't have an Ipod, I think Livestrong has a similar program on their website.

Regarding the exercising...I don't know how much it helped with weight loss, but it sure as heck helped with toning! I have been doing the 30 Day Shred and can actually see the formation of muscles:) Oh, and it has decreased a lot of that "fluffy" look. So, i'm a big advocate for including exercise in a weight loss plan to get your body looking the best it can! Good luck!

I think what you're seeing is there is no "one size fits all." Part of the journey is figuring out what works for you - body chemistry, stage of life, where you live, etc. For some people, low-carb makes them feel great. Others just feel gross. Some people are satisfied on veggies and brown rice, but others find themselves hungry in 20 minutes. For me, I have to be particularly mindful of late afternoon. If I'm not careful, I can get to this time of day without eating much at all and then I am starving. It's at this point I start thinking, "I'll make some chocolate chip cookies for the kids" when I know that I'm really making them for the cookie dough that I'll consume. I also need to "just say no." If I've made the decision that I'm not going to eat this or that, then I won't. But, if I've left the door open for a little bit, it's going to be very hard for me to each just a little bit. This is why portion control doesn't work for me. For me, it really is about chemistry. I do so much better without ANY refined sugar, white flour, etc. I feel great when I'm eating mostly veggies, fruits, and whole grains. But this doesn't work for everyone. That's why there are countless diet books. The author has found a way of eating that works great for him/her and then pitches it to the world. But "one size doesn't fit all" and you have to figure out what works for you.

About exercise, one book that I like says that 80% of your success at losing/maintaining weight is in the kitchen. 10% is genetics. 10% is exercise. With that said, you can lose plenty of weight without lifting a finger, but you most likely will end up "skinny-fat." Think about a pound of cotton balls compared to a pound of lead. Both weigh the same, but one takes up much less space. This is what happens when you are adding muscle and losing fat. You might weigh the same, maybe even more, but a pound of muscle looks much different than a pound of fat. And, of course, muscle burns more calories than fat so your metabolism is higher and you can actually eat more. And finally, exercise does make you feel so good.

I would focus on getting healthy rather than losing weight. Plenty of unhealthy skinny people out there.

ETA-this woman lost 160 pounds and has kept it off with a raw food diet. I know she is for real. She also talks about the emotional aspects of changing your eating habits.

http://store.rawreform.com/rawreform2.php

Edited by Peela

Walking is not going to cut it unfortunately. I am finally ticked off enough at myself for allowing this to happen that I'm going to do something about it! Does anyone have some great advice for me, especially concerning exercise?
The key for me and exercise is to make it something special for me. Like if I walk, walk somewhere beautiful/interesting, like a zoo or here I walk at the beach. Sign up for a fun/interesting exercise class, like when I was in Abu Dhabi I did bellydancing. Or start a new sport where you join a group; my kids started horse riding lessons here last month and I joined with them -- I was surprised to find how athletic that sport is for the rider.

Thank you all for the advice! Sorry I didn't get back on here sooner to say so! I have been thinking over all you said and have decided to keep a food journal for a couple weeks to see if I am consuming more calories than I should be. I have a suspicion that I probably am. I am still thinking about exercise, I think I need to do it but I'm not sure what.

Thanks for the help!

Laura

You might want to try The McDougall Diet (a starch-based diet with the addition of fruits and vegetables.) It's similar to ETL, but probably cheaper and easier.

There are written and video testimonies of people who have lost weight on it and regained their health at dr.mcdougall.com.

Good luck, whatever you do.:)

Probably not what you want to hear, but I don't think that exercise is all that helpful with losing weight. I've believed this for a long time, and recently saw a study or article published on this as well (for example here and here).

I'm not saying exercise has no benefit -- certainly it does! It can and does strengthen our bodies, improve our brain function, etc. But it takes SO MUCH exercise to burn a couple hundred calories from overeating a candy bar, you know? I don't see how it's possible to lose a bunch of weight just from exercising -- not in any kind of fashion that will encourage one to keep going with it anyway. In fact one of the articles I read tells of a doctor who realized his patients on bed rest lost more weight when than those who were exercising (presumably those on bed rest were eating less)! That was what he called his "a-ha! moment." Now if you combine it with eating far less, it will quicken it a bit. But the way I described above, you'll just get hungrier sooner so you'll eat a little more.

I totally agree. I've lost significant amounts of weight just like that. (it's also why I don't force my kids to eat all their dinner-I don't want that 'I'm Full' trigger switched off for them. )

Edited by justamouse

My best diet success came when I found a book called "The Supermarket Diet Cookbook."

It's a crazy name and has nothing to do with supermarkets (I think the original diet book it was matched with talked about how to shop to avoid the "bad foods" or something), but it's awesome!

It has menus for breakfasts, lunches and dinners. The calories add up to enough so that you lose weight whether you exercise or not. I've made some changes to it that work for me.

They have 300 calorie breakfasts. I'm not a big breakfast eater, and I like snacks, so instead I eat 1/4 cup of oatmeal each day. I mix it with water, microwave it for 45 seconds, add a tablespoon of flax seed and a splash of milk. It totally fills me up all morning. It's less than 200 calories.

For lunch you get 400 calories. For dinner you get 500. I frontload these meals with huge (plate-sized) salads. Nothing but salad veggies and salad spritzer salad dressings which have almost no calories. Then I can have something warm and tasty at the end when I'm stuffed with veggies. The small amount of starch and protein I eat kind of tops me off and makes me feel satisfied. When you eat like this you can really have almost unlimited amounts of salad as long as you go easy with the dressing.

I have two store-bought chocolate chip cookies at 4 pm and two more at 9 or 10 pm, my big snack times. Life without chocolate just isn't worth living for me, but I can have these snacks and still lose weight.

I've been doing this diet this week because I gained a few pounds over the winter (typical for me). Now it's spring and I want to feel lighter. I've lost 4 pounds in 7 days.

HTH

Laura

On my way out & just saw this. I wish I time to write more, but suggest you check out The Best Life Diet (your library probably has it - no need to join/pay for the online version. I am doing a combo of this with WW and am feeling better after just one week. I believe I am down a few lbs as well - will see tomorrow AM. I'll try to add more tonight when I return. good luck!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

Due to this thread I joined Spark People. I thought that I ate healthy too. I make everything from scratch. use whole wheat, and do not snack. Yesterday my 3 meals totalled 3000 calories!! :confused1: No wonder I can't lose the weight, even doing Jillian's 30 day shred 2 times!! The thing is, I thought I looked fine until I saw our family photo last fall. I even said to my husband, is that what I look like? He said, "What do you mean?" (cautiously :tongue_smilie:) I didn't realize I looked so heavy.

I lost about 30 pounds over a 7-9 month period. I'm still exercising and shaping up, but I haven't weighed in months so I don't know my weight. First, I found 2 things that were totally unhealthy that I ate on a regular basis and completely cut them out-for me, soft drinks and french fries. Next, I found an online calorie counter thingy and figured out how many calories I needed a day to actually lose weight-I think it was about 1300. For two months, I wrote down everything that I ate and the calorie content to make sure I didn't go over. Big pain in the rear end, but I don't think I would have been able to lose weight without doing this. After two months, I didn't feel like I needed to do it anymore, I had a good feel for what I should be eating by that time. Also, I exercised. A lot. I started with the Walk Away the Pounds videos, and worked up to doing the 1hour, 4 mile walk and jog routine. I made sure I exercised at least 4 times a week. When I got to a plateau, what helped was to add in weights (just hand weights) two or three times a week. Right now I am trying to get the last 10 pounds or so off-I really just want a flat stomach-by doing the 30 Day Shred. I have injured myself twice :) but I'm learning which kinds of exercises I need to modify. I was squeezing into a size 12 in Oct. 08 when I started, and now I wear size 6s or 4s. You really have to make it a priority. Oh, I also keep a sheet of paper handy to make sure I drink six glasses (at least) of water a day and eat 3 (at least) servings of fruits/veggies.

hth

My advice? You need to SWEAT at least 30 minutes 4 x a week. Not walking. Not gentle yoga. But SWEATING, red in the face, heart pumping, sweating. This isn't what most people want to hear, but it's true, IMO.

(I weigh less than I did in college (5'4" and 120 lbs and muscular), and I'm fitter, and it's because I'm very disciplined about my exercise. I also eat SMALL meals, 4-5 times a day. I am mostly vegan, small amts of fish, occasional splurges on french fries or junk food, but limited to 1-2 times a week, and not a lot. Also, I eat Dove Dark Chocolate pieces daily :D so it's not a hardship. I feel healthy, strong, and fit. Now if I could just lick my insomnia I'd be set.)

You deserve to be fit. Your kids deserve to have a fit mama. Good luck.

ETA: If you're disciplined, I find WW online to be a wonderful too to get you back on track. I used it after having each of my kids, and it was very motivating. Well worth the cost.